Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The war on meat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Yeah your yoke.
    Demi Moore 52
    :poundit

Looks like the she could do with a decent meal tbh. The several hollywood facial enhancement procedures, including the mini facelift, Botox, and fillers have certainly helped ...

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    That and the fact that the world can't go vegan as there isn't enough suitable arable land.

https://gpfarmblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/can-the-world-go-vegan-a-studied-viewpoint-re/

Very interesting read ty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Why do people keep saying this. The people who are alive would like to stay so I imagine and not be put to death to suit your vast rate of carbon based consumption.

I'm not suggesting we kill people...But we should be encouraging people not to pop out 3,4,5 or 6 kids. If everyone women had 2 kids in their lifetime, the world population should remain fairly stable where it is not, the 2 off spring replace each of their parents.

The worlds population is at 7.7 billion set to increase to 10 billion in 2050. That is certainly not sustainable.

Only thing we can hope for is a shelf corrective event from nature...most likely a plague of sorts to redress the balance. That is the only way to save mankind long term on this planet

P.S My carbon footprint isn't the worst. I cycle or walk everywhere. I try to buy carbon neutral products. Try to buy products produced on the Island of Ireland. Use solar panels for heating water. We need to look at China which produced more greenhouse emissions than the US and EU combined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As I already posted the fertility rate is falling rapidly. There are only a handful of states like Burkina Faso with ludicrous reproduction levels - it's going to take until the end of this century to level out the births and deaths, until then we'll have to put up with the consequences.

At least that country is so poor it's impact is quite small, Ireland's is far greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

Well you aren't an expert on grain production for cattle that's for sure. You seem to be basing most of your facts on cowspiracy.
    I certainly am no expert on grain production but you are definitely no expert on climate change or what causes it, and nobody else here is..

• Advertisement

As I already posted the fertility rate is falling rapidly. There are only a handful of states like Burkina Faso with ludicrous reproduction levels - it's going to take until the end of this century to level out the births and deaths, until then we'll have to put up with the consequences.

At least that country is so poor it's impact is quite small, Ireland's is far greater.

Falling in the developed world not in the developing world*

*I'd imagine its due to poor education and religion(condoms are bad, God/Allah says no)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I was vegetarian for seven years. I did it properly and limited dairy and egg intake as well, ate lots of lentils and pulses to get the nutrients you get from meat.

Healthwise, I personally found my digestive system was more stable when I stopped eating meat. I personally found I felt more full when I started eating meat again. That was all really. I was able to build muscle easily as a vegetarian, when I had a mind to. My energy and concentration were fine. I didn't find it any easier or harder to keep from getting fat.

I started eating poultry and fish again because my wife found it difficult to get sufficient nutrients while pregnant from plant based foods. This was because of bad morning sickness, and meat tends to be denser nutritionally in some regards. She felt bad so I switched too so she felt less bad.

My view is that a very few people might have permqnent or temporary digestive issues to make it preferable to include or eliminate meat - but for the vast majority there is no significant effect on health or wellbeing one way or another. It is just down to choice.

I feel like a bit of a hypocrite eating meat today, as I was a bit upset after killing a mouse yesterday (with a sledgehammer). I realised it was the first time I killed something bigger than an insect.

There are compelling reasons to limit meat intake, especially beef, because of the contribution the industry has to global warming. Ireland is in line to get huge fines soon for not honouring our commitments to reducing emissions. This is mainly because we have expanded animal farming in the meantime, getting permission to increase the number of cows that we can farm.

I think large numbers of people reducing intake is the way to go. No need for a binary vegetarian/omnivorous approach. Just eat less of it.

How does farming cows have have a huge contribution to global warming?

Would it not be better to have hundreads of acres of farmland than factory's cooking up chemicals to make our syntethic meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Whoever these lunatics are that delivered this paper need to be treated with the same contempt as the idiots that stand on street corners with notices confirming "The End is Nigh" or those fools who predict the world will end on 26th June 2019 at 6.17pm.

Leveling out or otherwise - the planet is still grossly overpopulated. Many poor and developing countries problems are exacerbated by high birth rates, corruption and local inequality. The impacts are generally not comparable. Berating ourselves by means of collective chestbeating helps nothing.

That and the fact that the world can't go vegan as there isn't enough suitable arable land.

https://gpfarmblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/can-the-world-go-vegan-a-studied-viewpoint-re/

So Cowspiracy is a load of waffle and we have to take the above article as Gospel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I certainly am no expert on grain production but you are definitely no expert on climate change or what causes it, and nobody else here is..

Sure going by the experts we are the whole cause of it nature diesnt play any part anymore. BTW I never said that aI was an expert.

Sure going by the experts we are the whole cause of it nature diesnt play any part anymore. BTW I never said that aI was an expert.

But you suggested I was no expert on grain production! Maybe I am.

So Cowspiracy is a load of waffle and we have to take the above article as Gospel?

No that study by 20 unnamed food scientists cum climate scientists is gospel, yeah right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

What time is Burger King open til?

It's not posters saying that Cowspiracy 'is a load of waffle' Both vegans and academics have shown this is the case.

http://www.vancouverhumanesociety.bc.ca/wp-content/uploads/Livestock-and-greenhouse-gas-emissions.-The-importance-of-getting-the-numbers-right.pdf
    https://newint.org/blog/2016/02/10/cowspiracy-stampeding-in-the-wrong-direction

But you suggested I was no expert on grain production! Maybe I am.

Jaysus, I think it’s past your bedtime, you don’t want to be late for school tomorrow.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Jaysus, I think it’s past your bedtime, you don’t want to be late for school tomorrow.

Go to bed son, it’s past your bed time. Stop snapchating your private’s to your cousin.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

In Ireland all the main breeds of cattle need to be dehorned, Polly's don't on account of them not having horns.

Step by step for dehorning cattle beef herd
    -drive everything into the shed
    -separate out the cows/mothers and pin all calves in together
    - get set up with crate (metal box for pinning calves down)and dehorner (plastic handle with a metal rod that heats up, about the size of a bicycle pump), you have gas and electric, gas is handy cos you don't need electric leads etc
    -calves will be very wild so you'll need 2 guys to catch calf and drag it into the crate
    -When you have a calf in the crate push down head and put on chain tight but remember not to choke the calf. When head is secure put on the other chains, they'll need to be tight because the main bit is coming next,
    -clip hair around horns to get a clearer view, then when your dehorner is red hot press up against horn then you dig right down into the calfs skull to do a proper job, get it all out and stop it from ever growing again. -
    -The calf will do just about anything to get out of that crate so it's important to have good strong crate.
    - the stink of burning hair and flesh along with the calf roaring his head off might cause you stress so try remain calm especially if you've a lot of calves to dehorn
    - if a calf passes out before you've got both horns dug out, lift him up or he'll choke
    -release calf
    -repeat

This is as good as it gets for young cattle as they get older...
    you don't wanna know but it gets messy

In Ireland all the main breeds of cattle need to be dehorned, Polly's don't on account of them not having horns....

Eh? the point of that piece of copy and paste? Sounds like youve little idea tbh. You do know why cattle are dehorned so as to stop cattle gouging and injuring each other yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

The environmental vegans theory that going vegan will save the planet is bollox.

How much of your vegan diet has to be flown in by plane from thousands of miles away because it cant be grown in our climate?

If everyone went vegan in Ireland you would need more planes to fly food in than the Berlin airlift!

All of them pumping out more Co2 than the cows.

And dont get me started on the meat is murder vegans. They should just be locked up on Shutter Island..

• Advertisement

Go to bed son, it’s past your bed time. Stop snapchating your private’s to your cousin.

Is that you old boots with your multiple re re regs.keep your fanasty thoughts to yourself if you can’t have a normal debate.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Is that you old boots with your multiple re re regs.keep your fanasty thoughts to yourself if you can’t have a normal debate.

Strike and a miss Danielle

prinzeugen wrote: »
    The environmental vegans theory that going vegan will save the planet is bollox.

How much of your vegan diet has to be flown in by plane from thousands of miles away because it cant be grown in our climate?

If everyone went vegan in Ireland you would need more planes to fly food in than the Berlin airlift!

All of them pumping out more Co2 than the cows.

And dont get me started on the meat is murder vegans. They should just be locked up on Shutter Island..

The crazy thing is all the cheap foodstuffs bought as part of a vegan lifesyle are frequently produced and imported from countries with few if any ethical or environmental controls whatsoever

At the end of the day this lifestyle presumes access to cheap imported food, economic security and the freedom to adopt an identity. It's built on quicksand at best.

gozunda wrote: »
    Eh? the point of that piece of copy and paste? Sounds like youve little idea tbh. You do know why cattle are dehorned so as to stop cattle gouging and injuring each other yes?

First - that's no copy and paste I just explained the process as I've seen it done 50 or 60 times

Secound- I haven't said anything about why or why not it should be done, Ive just explained the way that I believe is common for farmers to do this job.

So to answer your question. yes! I'm very much well aware why it is done.
    Thing is this is what happens!

I actually posted that because these "I'm going to get myself a burger" jokes are getting a bit annoying from people who haven't the first clue how the food got to their plate.

Checkout a 9 month old thread titled Dehorned animal bleeding - check out post 25 and if you are looking at this thread consider that the posters here are very careful with what they say around this issue but they seem to know an awful lot about what to do when you have an animal spraying blood all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

The whole vegan thing is just a hipster fad that will pass. You will still get the nutjobs however.

Pulled pork gone, craft beer sales almost non existent now, gluten free twats (as in those that did it for non medical reasons) gone.

I know people that were banging on about "craft" butchers a few months ago. Now allegedly vegans that enjoy "real street food"..

No doubt some other fad will appear in the spring/summer and being vegan will be forgotten.

First - that's no copy and paste I just explained the process as I've seen it done 50 or 60 times

Secound- I haven't said anything about why or why not it should be done, Ive just explained the way that I believe is common for farmers to do this job.

So to answer your question. yes! I'm very much well aware why it is done.
    Thing is this is what happens!

I actually posted that because these "I'm going to get myself a burger" jokes are getting a bit annoying from people who haven't the first clue how the food got to their plate.

Checkout a 9 month old thread titled Dehorned animal bleeding - check out post 25 and if you are looking at this thread consider that the posters here are very careful with what they say around this issue but they seem to know an awful lot about what to do when you have an animal spraying blood all over the place.

So you posted about dehorning cos some eejits mentioned a beefburger. Ok alrighty then ..

Btw that thread you mentioned was about a vet doing the procedure. And another poster detailed how the Vet injects the animal with lignocaine/adrenaline and either does or supervises the procedure. It's perculiar that there was well-known resident highjacker
    on that thread .

prinzeugen wrote: »
    The whole vegan thing is just a hipster fad that will pass. You will still get the nutjobs however.

Pulled pork gone, craft beer sales almost non existent now, gluten free twats (as in those that did it for non medical reasons) gone.

I know people that were banging on about "craft" butchers a few months ago. Now allegedly vegans that enjoy "real street food"..

No doubt some other fad will appear in the spring/summer and being vegan will be forgotten.

Sure you have veganuary. And judging from Instagram its taken off(misses uses Instagram). But some of the stuff I've seen just shows a complete lack of knowledge about a balanced diet(in this case a balanced vegan diet). All carbs, little protein & zero fats. And seems to be a majority of girls aged under 25.

I thought that animal takeover thing was a very obvious joke...maybe not

gozunda wrote: »
    So you posted about dehorning cos some eejits mentioned a beefburger. Ok alrighty then ..

Exactly, you got it

Here is thread about meat eating with hundreds of posts and yet not a word about dehorning - it should be mentioned should it not.

are you trying conceal it ?
    In terms of the life of the animal it's one of the more relevant issues

• Advertisement

Exactly, you got it Here is thread about meat eating with hundreds of posts and yet not a word about dehorning - it should be mentioned should it not.
    are you trying conceal it ? In terms of the life of the animal it's one of the more relevant issues

Wtf? It's a thread about a bunch of lunatics investors launching a report about recreating the world in their image. Hence the discussion. Get it?

Do you discuss the report? No you write a long rambling piece of fluff about another thread and then leave out much of the relevant information All because someone mentioned a beefburger.
    :rolleyes: I think it's fairly easy to spot similar contributions in that thread tbh.

Advertisement