Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The war on meat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

I will eat meat as and when I choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Cut out the one thing that actually grows well here in most areas! :rolleyes:

I've seen it mentioned that the founders (the
    Stordalens) of the EAT sect / group - don't particularly like root vegetables and these are therefore not included in their "Planetary Health Diet". So no spuds, no turnip etc etc
    Great eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

gozunda wrote: »
    I've seen it mentioned that the founders (the
    Stordalens) of the EAT sect / group - don't particularly like root vegetables and these are therefore not included in their "Planetary Health Diet". So no spuds, no turnip etc etc
    Great eh?

Great Famine part Deux.

What are we supposed to grow here so? What are the 'approved veg' for the Irish climate?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It may as well be that way as any other. The idea that sustainability, or avoiding doing harm to the planet is an unalloyed good, gets away scandalously without being questioned. Use the planets resources. Exhaust them. Enjoy them. There is no real point in putting one's self out to spare them.

Thats incredibly selfish. Some peopel will have to grow up and live in the world we will destroy. Have a bit of respect for the beautiful planet we get to enjoy and try to preserve it for our children

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭emaherx

Great Famine part Deux.

What are we supposed to grow here so? What are the 'approved veg' for the Irish climate?

Wasn't there a German reicipe for a Grass based bread used to feed the troops during the war?

• Advertisement

The equivalent of 1/2 a meatball per day?!

Bahahahahaha I'm fúcked then, and contently so.

Are you really a talking sheep? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'll have the other half while I'm waiting on my steak to grill.

This. :D
    "Christopher Snowdon, head of lifestyle economics at the IEA, accused the authors of the planetary health diet of campaigning for a “nanny state”.

He added: “Their desire to limit people to eating one tenth of a sausage a day leaves us in no doubt that we are dealing with fanatics.

“They say they want to save the planet but it is not clear which planet are they on.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

There are three main reasons to eat less meat as far as I can see: sustainability/the environment, animal welfare and our own health. At the very least, industrial/battery farming should be banned. It is disgusting and in no way should the resulting, antibiotic enriched meat be considered edible and safe. The minimum food grade for animal products should be organic. This is more expensive but then people should just eat less meat and focus more on fish as well as maybe a day or two in a week with just vegetables. It's like most things in life in that it's not a black and white area but we can certainly agree that the Western diet consisting of extremely processed foods and excessive meat consumption needs to be modified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

emaherx wrote: »
    Wasn't there a German reicipe for a Grass based bread used to feed the troops during the war?

They made coffee out of acorns too.

It tasted sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

704d02b1650530c8341ed129c37cb7cc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The American style of animal rearing is light years away from the Irish way.
    I'll always eat meat and Irish reared meat is among the best in the world.
    The campaign for vegetarian diets etc tend to forget how the pesticides are decimating insect populations and never mind the carbon footprint of fruit and veg being shipped from all over the world.
    Just look at how soya plantations are destroying rainforests that act as carbon sinks.
    But yeah,meat is bad,go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Meat is going out of fashion , I have 9 nieces and nephews , two are vegetarian and one is vegan , they are perceived as bang on trend by their peers , Leo is tapping into this trend as there are votes in it but its also a stealthy way of justifying the introduction of carbon taxes which will be quite punitive for Ireland as we have dragged our heels on our 2020 targets.

The American style of animal rearing is light years away from the Irish way.
    I'll always eat meat and Irish reared meat is among the best in the world.
    The campaign for vegetarian diets etc tend to forget how the pesticides are decimating insect populations and never mind the carbon footprint of fruit and veg being shipped from all over the world.
    Just look at how soya plantations are destroying rainforests that act as carbon sinks.
    But yeah,meat is bad,go figure.

That and the fact that the world can't go vegan as there isn't enough suitable arable land.

https://gpfarmblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/can-the-world-go-vegan-a-studied-viewpoint-re/

Meat is going out of fashion , I have 9 nieces and nephews , two are vegetarian and one is vegan , they are perceived as bang on trend by their peers , Leo is tapping into this trend as there are votes in it but its also a stealthy way of justifying the introduction of carbon taxes which will be quite punitive for Ireland as we have dragged our heels on our 2020 targets.

I read that as 9 inches :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Yes I agree, there's definitely something up with that account. And it's the same phrases over and over used.....

My advice, stick them on ignore. You’ll enjoy boards far more.

You have to laugh though. Once a thread like this is started they’re all in tripping over themselves to thank each other’s posts. It’s absolute cringe. They must all be in a WhatsApp group. Quick lads sound the beacon of Gondor there’s a meat/veg thread. Everyone log in.

With all their replying they’re keeping these threads front & center, they do more for the veggie/vegan cause that piers Morgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Dakota Dan wrote: »

Bit unfair they took a shot of the one on the left when shes starving in a jungle for weeks and the other is red carpet ready..

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    My advice, stick them on ignore. You’ll enjoy boards far more.

You have to laugh though. Once a thread like this is started they’re all in tripping over themselves to thank each other’s posts. It’s absolute cringe. They must all be in a WhatsApp group. Quick lads sound the beacon of Gondor there’s a meat/veg thread. Everyone log in.

With all their replying they’re keeping these threads front & center, they do more for the veggie/vegan cause that piers Morgan.

Dream on sunshine :rolleyes:

wakka12 wrote: »
    Bit unfair they took a shot of the one on the left when shes starving in a jungle for weeks and the other is red carpet ready..

Do you honestly that they starve in that program? Reality tv is far from reality ;)

Anyway I know which one I'd kick out of bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Do you honestly that they starve in that program? Reality tv is far from reality ;)

Anyway I know which one I'd kick out of bed.

Yeah your yoke.

Demi Moore 52

:poundit

wakka12 wrote: »
    She looks so much better with make up :rolleyes:

6e1ee59487951b6fd8f6177ea8b6973e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

That and the fact that the world can't go vegan as there isn't enough suitable arable land.

https://gpfarmblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/can-the-world-go-vegan-a-studied-viewpoint-re/

True, people worried about antibiotics etc in meat but haven't a problem with tonnes of chemicals being sprayed on vegetables and fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You'd swear eating less meat was a 'tractorious' act in Ireland.

You'll enjoy what you do consume all the more if you treat it like a treat and not sustenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Cocaine keeps you young.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

You'd swear eating less meat was a 'tractorious' act in Ireland.

You'll enjoy what you do consume all the more if you treat it like a treat and not sustenance.

Did you miss the half a meat ball a day part? There's less and there's less but that is taking the mick.

So have three and a half meatballs on Sunday :) Your digestive system will say thank you.

The reason for the "Yuletide log" is not the cranberries or the spouts or even the trifle it's the meat meat meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I know its serious whataboutery, but I hate when these types of studies preach to the general public when something like 70% of all emissions is caused by 10 companies. That, coupled with China, India and the US not giving a continental hoot about emissions makes me extremely jaded by these types of studies.

And no mention of the nations with stupid high birth-rates, like Niger, Burkina Faso, Mali & Somalia all of which have at least 3 times the birth rate of Ireland & 4 times the birth rate of Germany.

We should be trying to reduce the world population, in conjunction with other approaches like reducing carbon footprint and force the countries like USA, India and China to follow

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    My advice, stick them on ignore. You’ll enjoy boards far more.You have to laugh though. Once a thread like this is started they’re all in tripping over themselves to thank each other’s posts. It’s absolute cringe. They must all be in a WhatsApp group. Quick lads sound the beacon of Gondor there’s a meat/veg thread. Everyone log in.With all their replying they’re keeping these threads front & center, they do more for the veggie/vegan cause that piers Morgan.

Its more like highlighting the usual rubbish for what it is. Some don't seem to like that funnily enough. It's funny though anytime you mention meat in a thread title - it's the same old reaction tbh

But hey lads it would be good to discuss the topic and leave the usual ad hominems at home ;)

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    And no mention of the nations with stupid high birth-rates, like Niger, Burkina Faso, Mali & Somalia all of which have at least 3 times the birth rate of Ireland & 4 times the birth rate of Germany.

We should be trying to reduce the world population, in conjunction with other approaches like reducing carbon footprint and force the countries like USA, India and China to follow

Why do people keep saying this. The people who are alive would like to stay so I imagine and not be put to death to suit your vast rate of carbon based consumption.

Advertisement