Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus - New Livery unveil event 17th January

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

The Shamrock looks cartoonish to me, and if our national carrier where to launch budget sub brand, this is how I would expect it to look.
    Aer Lingus is not our "National Carrier". (We do not have one). It's now a privately owned company that can paint any livery they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭john boye

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Aer Lingus is not our "National Carrier". (We do not have one). It's now a privately owned company that can paint any livery they wish.

Can a national carrier not be privately owned? Why not? Are there clearly defined rules on this?
    Not that I think EI are our national carrier btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Whilst the colour scheme won't make much difference regarding what airline people use, I think the all green livery was iconic. It really sells brand Ireland and always sticks out in far flung airports. Not so sure if this new branding will be very noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Comhrá

From Facebook.

50397920_2336768716353010_435697056057655296_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=fa5d1a023cf5ac50fcf99a0035a49bb7&oe=5CBC89E4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Strumms wrote: »
    The tail is ok, I like the shades of green, the cheat line, the font, the white, I just think forward of the tail it’s just too plain and dull, I think a shamrock on the engine could have enhansed the look and something on the lower forward fueselage too perhaps.

I’m gonna do a bit of a uturn, the more I think about it having visually digested it... I’m liking it all the more. I’m liking the clean white and the unfussy embellishments of the Shamrock, the fonts, the overall look of not trying to impress too much yet staying with the true unique identity of EI.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

And my Android app just updated to the new font/logo.
    I wonder how many of the fleet will be paibted by end of March? (Busy summer season usually starts St.Patricks weekend)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Im gone off it already.

On one this morning, and it looks worse in the metal than the photos suggest. Its just white. The teal tone is nice, but not enough of it. Needed a stripe down the length to distinguish it. And the tail shamrock does look a bit cartoonish, rather than a national airline. Despite the low cost pricing market it is in, I would have thought AL should still be pitching itself as a 'serious' airline, rather than a fun/cheapandcheerful/yoof/hip airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Im gone off it already.

On one this morning, and it looks worse in the metal than the photos suggest. Its just white. The teal tone is nice, but not enough of it. Needed a stripe down the length to distinguish it. And the tail shamrock does look a bit cartoonish, rather than a national airline. Despite the low cost pricing market it is in, I would have thought AL should still be pitching itself as a 'serious' airline, rather than a fun/cheapandcheerful/yoof/hip airline.

Aer Lingus is not a national airline and has not been for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

LXFlyer wrote: »

Indeed. But there is still benefit to be exploited by that association. Perception, not reality, is what matters in marketing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ah lads all this pedantry about it not being a flag carrier or a national airline is ridiculous.

You know what is being meant here, and it shows that the airline still means something to us a place of pride in the country. Relax.

It's status as a flag carrier or random commerical enterprise still doesn't mean it is beyond criticism for this yoke. The Shamrock just gets worse for me with each passing day.

I've warmed to the tail besides however.

Ah lads all this pedantry about it not being a flag carrier or a national airline is ridiculous.

You know what is being meant here, and it shows that the airline still means something to us a place of pride in the country. Relax.

It's status as a flag carrier or random commerical enterprise still doesn't mean it is beyond criticism for this yoke. The Shamrock just gets worse for me with each passing day.

I've warmed to the tail besides however.

I’m perfectly relaxed. But it is a bit more than “pedantry”.

The current business strategy is to position Aer Lingus as an international airline with a hub at Dublin - that is quite a switch from being an Irish national airline.

I do think most of the criticism seems to be from people who perceive it as the latter, when the airline stated that it has a target of 50% of its business coming from the hub.

They went through a huge amount of research before coming up with this livery which suggested the need for change.

Don’t get me wrong - I’ll miss the green fuselage but frankly we will get used to this in a relatively short period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I’m perfectly relaxed. But it is a bit more than “pedantry”.

The current business strategy is to position Aer Lingus as an international airline with a hub at Dublin - that is quite a switch from being an Irish national airline.

I do think most of the criticism seems to be from people who perceive it as the latter, when the airline stated that it has a target of 50% of its business coming from the hub.

They went through a huge amount of research before coming up with this livery which
    suggested the need for change.

Don’t get me wrong - I’ll miss the green fuselage but frankly we will get used to this in a relatively short period of time.

One has to wonder why a huge amount of research is necessary to produce a livery design which is just another iteration of a scheme used by a hundred airlines around the world at this stage. To be honest, there isn't one single original aspect to the rebrand. I agree a new livery was necessary, but a huge amount of research to paint an aircraft plain white with a green tail?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

That really is irrelevant to some extent. Whether you see it as a flag carrier or not - and arguably it has some cachet linked to its history - that doesn't change the fact that it is not aesthetically pleasing. If a lot of money went into it, I assume expected measurable benefits were outlined and at some point ROI will be calculated.

But I don't like it and Aer Lingus is choice 3 out of 4 to carry me home atm. This won't be giving me any good reason to change that.

Calina wrote: »
    That really is irrelevant to some extent. Whether you see it as a flag carrier or not - and arguably it has some cachet linked to its history - that doesn't change the fact that it is not aesthetically pleasing. If a lot of money went into it, I assume expected measurable benefits were outlined and at some point ROI will be calculated.

But I don't like it and Aer Lingus is choice 3 out of 4 to carry me home atm. This won't be giving me any good reason to change that.

Well while you might not like it, others (including me) do.

What is aesthetically pleasing to one person won’t be to another. It’s a highly subjective thing. To be stating that it’s not aesthetically pleasing as a fact is stretching things.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

..............Despite the low cost pricing market it is in, I would have thought AL should still be pitching itself as a 'serious' airline, rather than a fun/cheapandcheerful/yoof/hip airline.
    I think the tone of recent statement is very much 'on message' concerning their goal of being "the #1 value carrier across the Atlantic"
    They are strongly ditching any hint of them being a full service/legacy airline.

Back on the livery; whatever our thoughts it here to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

They went through a huge amount of research before coming up with this livery which suggested the need for change.

They were getting a white livery, no matter what any supposed research told them.

I seen the two planes this morning in Dublin and I was hoping it would look better in the flesh, sadly they're not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The font and logo look fine to me, it's just a bit tough to get used to the euro-white eco-reflective paint job.

I'd assume an aspect of this is down to thermal efficiency of white surfaces vs dark green surfaces and Aer Lingus (and everyone else) being under huge pressure to keep fuel burn as low as possible both for economic and environmental reasons.

They could definitely add a little bit of something to the big white surface though.

E.g. some kind of artwork playing on celtic design or something.

For example, you could commission pieces that had to use the teal and green colours and stay within a certain set of parameters.

With a really well done project, you could probably turn it into a PR success rather than one of those "New Coke" moments.

They would have to be really well done and very iconic designs though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Tenger wrote: »
    And my Android app just updated to the new font/logo.
    I wonder how many of the fleet will be paibted by end of March? (Busy summer season usually starts St.Patricks weekend)

Be interesting to know as well when the ATRs and Avros(or are these being replaced) will be painted up too

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Yuck....screams "budget" airline (which I know it is now, but still..)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hansanter

I'm quite disappointed in the new livery myself and I've no doubt that the Aer Lingus PR/Design dept would have had to run it by IAG head office before they went ahead with it. As long as the fuselage is 90% white then they don't give a fiddlers after that. Take a look at Alaskan's new livery... http://www.airliners.net/photo/Alaska-Airlines/Airbus-A320-214/5359489/L?qsp=eJwtjDEKw0AMBP%2BiOo1xSMCd/YGkyAeEbkkOLvYhqYgx/rvlI93uDjsbyTI7fv5aK2ggA6t86EKVlb9Gw0acteT5hPf%2B2gWyRX1aoyd2jCKojvTfH5qgJ4JJs7zj2EWAPlum/hZ7ylYLNwecc6F9PwBkEyzW
    quite similar but they used a little more imagination with the secondary colours and a larger, lower placed title on the fwd fuselage. If Aer Lingus did that... a whole different story.
    H./

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Patrick Smith of Ask the pilot gives his opinion... http://www.askthepilot.com/aer-lingus-livery/

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

This livery will not make it past a handful of aircraft before there is a significant revision.

The typeface and shamrock will remain but there will be a bit of tarting up done

There's significant pushback on what has been "created"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Okay, I asked the pilot and I don't agree with him.
    I still think it looks ok and look forward to seeing it in the flesh, so to speak.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Another airline already using a very similar scheme
    51556_1543168587.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I said in the OP I liked it and subsequently retracted that statement and said I'm not so sure. Now having seen it in person I have to stick with my second opinion. While its a nice livery, I feel EI has lost a lot of its "brand" and feel this is is a step backwards for an airline wanting to grow!

A couple of adjustments could make a huge difference, such as cream instead of white and a softer angle with the green (could it follow the natural curve of the tail??)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I thought the retro A320 was pretty smart looking tbh.....

EI-DVM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Well the 2019 livery looks like the Iberia painter was handed green paint. Basically its the Airbus/Iberia/Qantas/Alsaka etc in green. The tail is fine but the failure to bring the green up towards the cockpit is the real issue (hello Aeroflot...)

People do forget blue is the national colour of our little green country so a shade of blue is needed and the liveries have had blue in them in all beyond the one the DVM has.

The retro jet looks pretty good, not quite sure what it would look like on a A330. And if the marketing people are about connecting the world 'Ireland International' kind of helps...

The 1980's livery looked great on the 707 (and the first two A330's) but not great on the short 737's or the 747, but it does look dated. The 1990's livery was in reality a very simple change of colours and not a radical change. It looks good but has suffered from poor standards at application as no one (bar Airbus) are anyway consistent with the Shamrock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

There's significant pushback on what has been "created"

By who and exactly what kind of say do that have in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

micosoft wrote: »
    Patrick Smith of Ask the pilot gives his opinion... http://www.askthepilot.com/aer-lingus-livery/

Maybe there’s a word for it in Gaelic?

Is this guy American?

Advertisement