Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus - New Livery unveil event 17th January

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

If that's the case, I would have loved to see the new livery reversed with the body green and white tail.

That would look fantastic. I said earlier that I liked the new look.... but I'm changing my mind a bit.... starting to think I'm not a fan at all. It was time for a change and absolutely support the idea of a new livery... but I think they made a bit of a balls of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Kenny2012

46777576991_4556db0081_z.jpgEI-CVA by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It reminds me of one of those Transits you could rent from Enterprise rent-a-car where you stuck a bit of vinyl on a std fridge-white van.

More colour needed.

And it's not green enough : not looking for Kelly/Oirish green, but it's a bit too blue.

A splash of something to the front would make a big difference imho, otherwise it's just another white plane on the apron: you could never say that about the outgoing colourways.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I query the decision to keep the shamrock at the front in the normal position. I feel both such be lined up together,
    On left hand side (as seen above on A320) both shamrocks are moving the same direction. Due to normal airline policy of reversing logo on the righthand tail, the smaller shamrock behind the cockpit looks 'off'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

mosesgun wrote: »
    Typical smart arse response. I've nothing to do with Are Lingus or the industry. Merely offering an opinion and trying to be positive.

The problem is every development in Aer Lingus's history has been held back and it almost killed it. We could be Belgium (Sabena) or indeed Switzerland (Swissair) if we listened to the naysayers. I fly with AL a lot both TAL and Europe. A fly with others a lot too (KLM, Emirates). What I care about is an efficient effective airline based out of Dublin that can connect me to the world. AL is knocking it out of the park in that regard.

So I agree - let's look at the positives shall we?

- A competent management team that have sold a massive expansion when other airlines are contracting. Specifically carving out a space that is separate to the other IAG airlines that does not mean AL being a regional feeder to BA/Iberia but a strong proposition in it's own right.
    - Better connectivity to the US then some State Capitals
    - Decent planes (getting better) and Cabin Crew

I think folk should carefully listen to the strategy the mgmt team have taken - everything is for a reason including the redesign. Even if its cheaper looking... someone commenting about Etihad - AL is not in the market. AL is a value airline (think Ryanair/Vueling) that steps up with a good business offer for TAL. It is not a full service airline like BA. It essentially has a unique strategy that is working. And more to the point punters are voting with their wallets.

Personally I hope with the refresh they sort out AerClub (in terms of delivering what it should just do now). I'm resigned to the fact it will not be OneWorld (value airline).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I like it. It would look even nicer on some new 787s or A350s but that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

micosoft wrote: »
    The problem is every development in Aer Lingus's history has been held back and it almost killed it. We could be Belgium (Sabena) or indeed Switzerland (Swissair) if we listened to the naysayers. I fly with AL a lot both TAL and Europe. A fly with others a lot too (KLM, Emirates). What I care about is an efficient effective airline based out of Dublin that can connect me to the world. AL is knocking it out of the park in that regard.

So I agree - let's look at the positives shall we?

- A competent management team that have sold a massive expansion when other airlines are contracting. Specifically carving out a space that is separate to the other IAG airlines that does not mean AL being a regional feeder to BA/Iberia but a strong proposition in it's own right.
    - Better connectivity to the US then some State Capitals
    - Decent planes (getting better) and Cabin Crew

I think folk should carefully listen to the strategy the mgmt team have taken - everything is for a reason including the redesign. Even if its cheaper looking... someone commenting about Etihad - AL is not in the market. AL is a value airline (think Ryanair/Vueling) that steps up with a good business offer for TAL. It is not a full service airline like BA. It essentially has a unique strategy that is working. And more to the point punters are voting with their wallets.

Personally I hope with the refresh they sort out AerClub (in terms of delivering what it should just do now). I'm resigned to the fact it will not be OneWorld (value airline).

Agree with a lot of what you have said. Aer Lingus offer a good Product for the money. I too fly a lot with AL and with other carriers, TL, In Europe and Internationally.

Aer Lingus have done a great job in their expansion programs. I have always praised AL when needed and their staff are superb for the most part.

The problems I see with Aer Lingus in this "re-brand" is loosing Aer Lingus for the sake of being seen as an International Brand. The "irishness" is what is making Aer Lingus special. That may be a personal observation, but having spoken to many travellers over the years (and especially lately) AL is seen as a step above Low Cost, but not 5 star.

It's "specialness" is that it offers a good service both cost wise and staff wise, with a sort of personal touch which is hard to find nowadays. That specialness IS being lost by way of lack of communication with staff and lack of the personal touch. I would hate AL to become BA or AA or United.

Dublin has hindered AL in its expansion plans and this DOES need to be addressed. Up until recently, all of our American Company used Dublin as a hub and we were spending thousands a month on air fares (and rent) to fly people from Europe to the States and The States to Europe. The wait times in Dublin have become too large to do this for many. Hence, we have changed policy and now look at more direct flights from both continents. Dublin's success has also become it's own failure... until they address the overcrowding issues at immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

One word. Awful!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

The new livery is horrific it looks more like a lease fleet more than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I like the Aer Lingus font – but too much white and blue and not enough green. The old livery was starting to look very dated but at least all that green meant you could always spot an aer lingus plane amid a sea of bland ones in a busy airport.

As for the new shamrock logo, not growing on me at all: it’s too informal/cheap looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

It's clean looking and modern, but it's in no way iconic in the way of the existing/previous quite distinct colour scheme. EI aircraft really do stick out I find, but maybe we all just think that because they're the home team when we're in North America etc. As to the broader question, I think EI are doing really well as an airline and haven't put too many feet wrong in the run up to and since the IAG acquisition. There have been bumps in the road but the overall strategy is working and I think a livery change that some people like and dislike will be more a bump than having a major strategic impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Thinking about all this through the afternoon.

If 'they' really want to reposition as the leading value trans-Atlantic airline, and soften the association with Ireland, wouldn't it be better to drop the quaint name?

How many people from Boston or Berlin spell 'Aer Lingus' correctly first time? I'd say that's more significant than the colour of paint on the fuselage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

i absolutely hate it as a paint job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭john boye

I don't think it's particularly bad by modern standards, it's just that it's ball-achingly dull. If you didn't know you'd think it was was a short-term wet lease in a generic livery with an EI logo and a shamrock hastily slapped on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Looks fresh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

arubex wrote: »
    Thinking about all this through the afternoon.

If 'they' really want to reposition as the leading value trans-Atlantic airline, and soften the association with Ireland, wouldn't it be better to drop the quaint name?

How many people from Boston or Berlin spell 'Aer Lingus' correctly first time? I'd say that's more significant than the colour of paint on the fuselage.
    Type Air Lingus into google, it’s will quickly rectify your mistake, how many people spell Qantas wrong? I see that all the time, very few know it’s an acronym, that doesn’t affect bookings! The name Aer Lingus is simple enough and even memorable, would be sill to change loose the name of a company that’s been know for 83 years. A new name wouldn’t build more brand awareness over night, the name is fine, they’re doing a good job building brand awareness outside of Ireland and should just continue what’s working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I don't think it's bad, but I would like to see a thicker green swoop between the tail and mid-fuselage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Looks fairly fresh 'n fly

Qj5TCL7.png
    (Note: Not 100% colour accurate, eyedropped from photos only).

Save a few bucks on lashing on all the double green paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Aer Lingus getting a nice backlash on social media over it and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Dont like it,much preferred the dominant green,now its too white.
    meet-our-new-look.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If people start asking is the main colour (other than white) green or blue,
    it could break the whole internets, like the dress thing did the other year.

Let's just call it 'blue-green' (depending on what way the light lands on it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

The new logo and branding are pretty good, the livery is pretty awful.

Will it stop me from using Aer Lingus - of course not, don't be daft. Will it give me the same warm tingle as when I saw the green airplane in a foreign airport while I was living abroad (even if I wasn't even heading home)? Absolutely not.

Given that we're a nation who frequently live abroad for periods, the positive brand associations were priceless. Spotting the green planes in LAX, BOS or LHR would always give a thrill. That euro white scheme may look good on a balance sheet, but I can't see any marketing spend managing to create such positive brand recognition.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

theguzman wrote: »
    Aer Lingus getting a nice backlash on social media over it and rightly so.

To be fair we as humans don’t respond well to change. I remember the backlash in 1996 when they slanted the shamrock and removed the blue cheat line.

Tenger wrote: »
    To be fair we as humans don’t respond well to change. I remember the backlash in 1996 when they slanted the shamrock and removed the blue cheat line.

1996 was lovely, this is just pure sacrilege BS, it is desecration of what was a unique piece of Irishness. Imagine Guinness to remove the Harp and rename itself Unicorn Juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Negative_G

It genuinely surprises me how emotional some people are getting about it on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The tail is ok, I like the shades of green, the cheat line, the font, the white, I just think forward of the tail it’s just too plain and dull, I think a shamrock on the engine could have enhansed the look and something on the lower forward fueselage too perhaps.

Now just wait until that white gets dirty which it inevitably will, they have destroyed EI, it will effect the North American market big time as the American's often flew EI for to experience Irishness from the start of the trip. Whoever came up with this horrendous example of a livery should be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

theguzman wrote: »
    Now just wait until that white gets dirty which it inevitably will, they have destroyed EI, it will effect the North American market big time as the American's often flew EI for to experience Irishness from the start of the trip. Whoever came up with this horrendous example of a livery should be fired.

Dramatic much?

As a standalone livery it's not bad in my opinion, nice colours and looks fairly sleek and modern. Serious shame to lose the green though, makes them look like just another airline and a real missed opportunity to stand out with an eye catching design

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I like it.
    The tilt in the shamrock certainly gives it a tremendous impression of dynamism and speed, and that is the overwhelming take from this restyling. It certainly has the air of a modern livery with a great future, and the rather dusty and slower moving, and static looks very archaic by comparison - very pre Celtic Tiger really, and rather backward when compared side by side with the new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭golondrinas1

of course they need to change it how else are they going to pots of cash on a new paint job.

Advertisement