Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus - New Livery unveil event 17th January

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

mosesgun wrote: »
    it's obvious that their focus groups perceived the old livery as Are Lingus, the airline that'll bring you to and from Ireland. This isn't their vision nowadays and they needed to refresh the livery to something that positioned them as a value carrier from anywhere in Europe to north America. I can totally see what they've done and the reasoning behind it and I actually quite like it. As their marketing director said, they want to be seen as an international airline that happens to be from Ireland. Their vision as a carrier to North America is exciting though and could be great for the Irish economy into the future.

I am not paid by Aer Lingus....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Just saw it taking off from Shannon, looks lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

LXFlyer wrote: »
    On the website it says that the shamrock is retained on the inner sides of the winglets.

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/aer-lingus-news/brand-refresh/

Yeah you can see it in one of the images they have up

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

NSAman wrote: »

Typical smart arse response. I've nothing to do with Are Lingus or the industry. Merely offering an opinion and trying to be positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Don’t like it, the green aircraft was iconic...now from the distance it just looks another airline.

American Airlines also made a balls of their livery. Anyway that’s just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Looksike CVA doing some low altitude flying off the west coast. Possibly for some promo shots?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

I like the back of it. Too much white up the front. If they had brought the two colours up like the pic I attached I think it would have been way better

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

NSAman wrote: »
    To be fair he just reiterated the logic they gave in their own presentation.

Whether you like it or not current marketing/branding is in a phase of ‘mostly white’. So it was always going to like this. I think it could have been worse. At least the engines have colors and the tail color swoops forward rather than straight down.
    I suspect that smaller aircraft will look better as the ratio of white to green is less unbalanced.

In addition keep in mind that anyone unfamiliar with the company just want good value reliable travel. They don’t care what shade green or how white the plane is. That tail will still the enthusiasts to get their photo of a line of shamrock tails. And with green being an uncommon color it will still stand out at airports, just not as much as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Agree with most - not enough green up front. I like the tail though.

The one thing about the old livery is how unique the green is. You could pick out an EI craft amongst a crowd instantly. Less green, less recognition imo.

Tenger wrote: »

Whether you like it or not current marketing/branding is in a phase of ‘mostly white’. So it was always going to like this. I think it could have been worse. At least the engines have colors and the tail color swoops forward rather than straight down.
    I suspect that smaller aircraft will look better as the ratio of white to green is less unbalanced.

In addition keep in mind that anyone unfamiliar with the company just want good value reliable travel. They don’t care what shade green or how white the plane is. That tail will still the enthusiasts to get their photo of a line of shamrock tails. And with green being an uncommon color it will still stand out at airports, just not as much as before.

Agreed, but the presentation was awful too. I was actually laughing at the screen with embarrassment.

With all the focus groups, with all the expertise of Lippencott, with all the
    ‘Buzz” words banded about... THIS is the best they could do?

They have taken an instantly recognizable brand and ruined it, watered it down to the point of being “any” airline. Then they explained their reasons which I personally disagree with.

It is the worst of British corporate culture seen in an “Irish” company... it’s sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

So why change it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

What is the reasoning behind the mostly white liveries?

I've heard white paint is cheaper, is it really that much cheaper then green?

I'd imagine it'll show up dirt a lot quicker too.

MICKEYG wrote: »
    So why change it?

I think they are saying they need to freshen it up a bit but mainly I think they must feel people associate the previous livery with an Irish only airline. The result being obviously that European and US customers don't think of using are lingus unless they're coming to Ireland. They want to change that and put a bit of distance between the new and old livery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Good rendering here showing the shamrock inside the winglet.

https://twitter.com/AerLingus/status/1085885341528014848

I love the teal of the tail. And the font. The white will take me a while to process...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Dardania wrote: »
    Good rendering here showing the shamrock inside the winglet.

https://twitter.com/AerLingus/status/1085885341528014848

I love the teal of the tail. And the font. The white will take me a while to process...

Odd how different that teal looks there to other images... Coming across as blue in others!

I can see their reasoning for it. Good timing to with 'new Ireland'.
    I like the refresh. Looking forward to see all aspects rolled out.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    What is the reasoning behind the mostly white liveries?

I've heard white paint is cheaper, is it really that much cheaper then green?

I'd imagine it'll show up dirt a lot quicker too.
    Cleaning will be an issue, jdging on the jetbridge marks on mostly US aircraft.

The aircraft has the same amount of paint regardless of colour. However the process of repainting is easier with mostly 1 colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I think they are saying they need to freshen it up a bit but mainly I think they must feel people associate the previous livery with an Irish only airline. The result being obviously that European and US customers don't think of using are lingus unless they're coming to Ireland. They want to change that and put a bit of distance between the new and old livery.

But if price is the key driver, why does the livery matter, and if it doesn't, why change a winning formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Saw this over on PPRune.... cynical but funny.

The new look, developed with US design and brand strategy company Lippincott

These guys worked with Hawaiian and Delta, but given the Shamrock design they've come up with, I suggest they went popular American breakfast cereal for their inspiration.

lucky_50_featured_21_700x352_c02ad4b502f6283c39aade246f5b4c97822033a3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

I’d imagine it’d save IAG a fortune when shunting aircraft across the 3 fleets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

It's just a generic white aircraft with a painted tail. No character! I appreciate the need for a reband and it probably was overdue, but I think someone made a valid point about making it more international.

I think bringing the green\blue forward would've been a brilliant idea. I think Aeroflot livery as posted above is brilliant. Had the pleasure of seeing it up close in TLS once.

I think it's inevitable at some stage in the future that IAG will rebrand as a single airline, possibly with a low cost carrier brand underneath. It might be 10 years away but it'll happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I think it looks great. Much fresher looking.

Stimpyone wrote: »
    I personally think this is a red herring. IAG has each airline (as well as IAG Cargo and Avios) operating as a separate business entity, they operate more like a bank offering finance to each company.
    Ive seen multiple comments about an "IAG livery". In practicality IAG order 120 aircraft and allocate them among their 5 airlines before construction./delivery as per the requests/business case of the relevant airlines.
    I can see the ease of leasing aircraft for EI/IB/VY with a mostly white livery. Previous EI temporary leases stood out due to their unfinished look.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats all it is. Entirely. No further brand integrity considered. No other motivation was even in the brief clearly. What a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

The result being obviously that European and US customers don't think of using are lingus unless they're coming to Ireland. They want to change that and put a bit of distance between the new and old livery.

But you have to come to Ireland to connect through Aer Lingus. That's the nature of hubbing. Emirates are proudly Emirati, Turkish don't hide that they're from Turkey, Singapore will fly you around the World so long as you go through the city. But Aer Lingus is scared of being known as Irish?

All just hollow nonsense to justify someone's Personal Stamp project. People booking cheap flights don't care about the brand, they just see what's the cheapest option with minimum connections on Expedia or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Nail on head! Much less costly just to paint over the rear aileron, winglets and engline cowlings!

arubex wrote: »
    But you have to come to Ireland to connect through Aer Lingus. That's the nature of hubbing. Emirates are proudly Emirati, Turkish don't hide that they're from Turkey, Singapore will fly you around the World so long as you go through the city. But Aer Lingus is scared of being known as Irish? All just hollow nonsense to justify someone's Personal Stamp project.

Add the fact that most companies who use business class know about the time savings in Dublin, most travelers search for the cheapest option (which Aer Lingus has good value IMHO), it stripped away the Irish identity of one of the most recognizable airplanes in any us airport to which they fly..,, bad idea imho.

arubex wrote: »
    But you have to come to Ireland to connect through Aer Lingus. That's the nature of hubbing. Emirates are proudly Emirati, Turkish don't hide that they're from Turkey, Singapore will fly you around the World so long as you go through the city. But Aer Lingus is scared of being known as Irish?

All just hollow nonsense to justify someone's Personal Stamp project. People booking cheap flights don't care about the brand, they just see what's the cheapest option with minimum connections on Expedia or whatever.

I agree to an extent but I'm sure the new CEO was saying in his speech that with the new Airbus A321 Neo the range etc will mean they intend to connect US cities and other cities around the world directly with Europe and not necessarily Ireland as the hub. Hence the need to change peoples perceptions of the company by changing the older livery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

On the positive note, I'm looking forward to the repaint of the IRFU themed aircraft. Simply awful looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Cleaning will be an issue, jdging on the jetbridge marks on mostly US aircraft.

The aircraft has the same amount of paint regardless of colour. However the process of repainting is easier with mostly 1 colour.

If that's the case, I would have loved to see the new livery reversed with the body green and white tail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

I agree to an extent but I'm sure the new CEO was saying in his speech that with the new Airbus A321 Neo the range etc will mean they intend to connect US cities and other cities around the world directly with Europe and not necessarily Ireland as the hub. Hence the need to change peoples perceptions of the company by changing the older livery.

He blethered about 'seamless journeys' from US to Europe cities through having the A321LR on both trans-Atlantic and short-haul routes, but what he meant by that is probably much less ambitious than hub-skipping.
    Jumps to his statement:
    https://youtu.be/Q5P2obq0aDk?t=1654

Advertisement