Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought house- concerning neighbor behavior

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Pipmae

TBH I wouldn't go through with the sale. I'd run a mile. You have been staking out the house to check and see if something like this was going on. Now that you have discovered it is then it should be a no brainer. I know it's very emotional to walk away being so close to purchasing but that's what you need to do for now.

I'd also put the neighbours address into the RTB database and see if it is rented. You might be able to contact their landlord - they may tell you nothing but it could be worth a try. Google the address and see if anything comes up in relation to court/newspaper article, etc. You may stumble upon a name associated with antisocial behaviour and you could then find out further information by Googling the name. Anyway you get the picture.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

votecounts wrote: »
    If you have not signed contracts, i would consider buying elsewhere. Do you want to put up with this behaviour for months, years

A heroin addict only cares about more heroin(when the cravings kick in). That's the horrible nature of addiction. They will run through fire to get the next hit when they get desperate enough.

Run it is a complete **** storm waiting to happen. You will set yourself up for years of troubles.

If you can get out of it do for your own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Keyzer wrote: »
    I think the OP would prefer to continue living versus getting stabbed to death by some scobie.

When's your new movie coming out Chuck?

Oh, OK so, leave the problem fester. By thr time the house sells again they may have a movie made about it.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Some landlords do not care what happens as long as they get paid,
    some tenants can make a lot of noise, and theres not much you can do if you live next door .
    Since most council houses are now owned by the former tenant ,
    council estates are alot quieter than in previous years .
    When you own a house you tend to treat it with more respect and
    try to get along with your neighbours.

Not everyone who lives in a private estate is an angel or a perfect person .
    A landlord can rent out a house to a tenant ,
    he may not know that person is a heavy drinker or a drug user .
    Most landlords look for id, some info ,is this person working,
    are they in a job where they can afford to pay the rent on time .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Oh, OK so, leave the problem fester. By thr time the house sells again they may have a movie made about it.....:D

Why would the OP or anyone else for that matter bother themselves buying a house with a load of junkbirds floating around and try to clean it up/tackle the problem?

Are you mother teresa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

bri007 wrote: »

Not sure what to do, due to sign contracts Tuesday

Did you sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Op did ye sign today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

We didn’t sign today, we notified our solicitor and he got the contract signing extended by a week to investigate further.

EA is making contact with owner of house we are sale agreed on to see what her input about it is.

We did some knocking on neighbours doors and appears to be just a trouble member of one particular family. Waiting on Garda to come back to me, friend asked one he knows so hopefully he will give us some more insight. Other than that we will have a good think about it this week and do some more information gathering before we commit any further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

It's not a regular joe's job to start addressing a social problem via their own personal investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

We didn’t sign today, we notified our solicitor and he got the contract signing extended by a week to investigate further.

EA is making contact with owner of house we are sale agreed on to see what her input about it is.

We did some knocking on neighbours doors and appears to be just a trouble member of one particular family. Waiting on Garda to come back to me, friend asked one he knows so hopefully he will give us some more insight. Other than that we will have a good think about it this week and do some more information gathering before we commit any further

You'll be taking a chance....

The only person that can answer the question though is the two of ye.

You certainly kicked it off in this thread btw!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Just reading through. I think you got a very lucky warning and best to look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

It’s good that you have given yourselves time to think about it.

I think that's a good approach. You're getting all the information before making the final decision. It sounds like a house and location worth fighting for. Best of luck on your final decision. Whatever it is, it will be right for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks
    I think that's a good approach. You're getting all the information before making the final decision. It sounds like a house and location worth fighting for. Best of luck on your final decision. Whatever it is, it will be right for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Isn't it bloody awful that people buying houses have to go through this crap, when that trouble maker (whom I'm postulating) is an utter drain, contributing nothing to society, causes this trouble to decent honest hard-working people mortgaging themselves to the hilt, to have a steady home.

This country is just unfair to ordinary people imo, I hope all works out for you op

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

There is literally no decision to make here. If you haven't signed the contracts, run a million miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,292 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

sdanseo wrote: »
    There is literally no decision to make here. If you haven't signed the contracts, run a million miles.

In fairness, he's taking the correct approach. Taking time to suss it out before deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Cork981

To be honest I’d walk away from the whole deal, not worth the risk. You want to feel comfortable and safe in your own home.

We loved a house we viewed and almost went sale agreed but googled the street name and found that a guy living across from the house had numberous court appearances for theft, assault and drug use.

Loved the house but walked away and ended up with a much better house a few weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Go over across the road, knock on the door and see what they’re like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Firstly. I feel sorry for the people selling. Moving on from that point however, you wouldn't buy a used car with a fault. So why a house. Again moving on from that point.

My main concern apart from the activities these guys could get up to IE general public order, burglary etc.. is that if one of these fúckers took a general dislike to you etc.. That could make for a very miserable time, these fúcks know the law and how to get away with it too.

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »
    Firstly. I feel sorry for the people selling. Moving on from that point however, you wouldn't buy a used car with a fault. So why a house. Again moving on from that point.

House doesn't have a fault as far as we're aware. The location may or may not have one- that's to be decided by the OP. Either way, the house will sell - either to the OP or to someone else, and either at the current price, a reduced price or an even more expensive price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

House doesn't have a fault as far as we're aware. The location may or may not have one- that's to be decided by the OP. Either way, the house will sell - either to the OP or to someone else, and either at the current price, a reduced price or an even more expensive price.

The house has a fault. It's not a physical fault. But it's a social fault and just as big as any structural fault.

Alot of ifs and buts. Fact of the matter here is there are undesirables living across the way. Might be harmless might not be harmless.

A large sum of cash is involved here let's not forget that either. Sound like alot of tunnel vision going on with the OP, might be a nice house, but people fighting in the front garden? No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

id run and never look back.
    no matter how lovely the house or how excellent the location or good the price, a crap neighbour can destroy your life.
    personally id live in a tent dangling over a cliff before id put up with the type of people the op described.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Is the house below the price you would expect it to be? That’s would b the first flag.

I would take what the neighbours say with a pinch of salt. Nobody is gonna talk down their own area or purposefully drive down the price of their own house. Your sale falls through and the house gets sold eventually for 30k cheaper - that’s then the going value of houses on that street.

Unless it is a hard to find house - as in a rare one that ticks all your boxes - it should be an easy decision to walk away. There are always other houses.

TallGlass wrote: »
    The house has a fault. It's not a physical fault. But it's a social fault and just as big as any structural fault.

It’s all down to what degree it will effect the OP when living there and to what degree they can l8ve with it for the duration they’re in the house considering the liklihod of appreciation in value of the property over time.

They could buy another house tomorrow morning with noisy neighbors next door 24/7- and may not know that before they purchase- they’res no guarantee they will get the “perfect” house -unless they move to a detached property on substantial grounds in an affluent area- but even then as we’ve seen recently with both a former well known RTÉ presenter and a Rock/Blues singer, even that doesn’t always work out well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Run a mile.

Junkies who would be living opposite you have been fighting in your front garden! That is not something that a quiet chat over tea and biscuits will resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭tigger123

Just a note of caution here: the EA's goal right now is to get contracts signed, they can then bank their fee and move on to their next sale. It might be worth considering having your solicitor ask the vendors solicitor these questions instead.

I'm not saying the EA will be dishonest, I'm just saying that their motivations in this are very different to yours.

Also, you can extend the contract signing for way longer than a week. The EA and vendor are not gonna pull the sale that quickly. You're in total control here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭tigger123

Also, there's other houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭secman

To OP, although you are discreetly trying to get a better picture of the problem , you don't kmow who are friendly with the occupants of the problem house and it may get back to them and be a potentially bigger problem for you.

Just pointing out this potential issue.
    Best of luck in your decision, don't envy you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

If that’s not enough for you to know that you should run I don’t know what is... Garda I trouble junkies..... imagine trying to sell that house yourself with them next door. Run and buy somewhere else, don’t let the blinkers of getting your own house blind you. A mortgage and a house can turn from a haven to a hellhole with the wrong neighbours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement