Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought house- concerning neighbor behavior

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

appledrop wrote: »
    Count yourself lucky you have a way out.
    Absolutely. What a blessing that they saw this before closing the deal!

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    Something else to consider - is this a scam to scare you off? You’ve been visiting the area regularly and at the last minute before you sign the contract these heroin junkies appear on your lawn? With the dog eat dog competition in Dublin anything is possible. (I’ve been binge watching ‘The Real Hustle’ on YouTube lately which is putting me in a suspicious frame of mind)

To what effect??
    It’s hardly going to increase the value of the property or cause gazumping to see druggies fighting over heroin in your front garden? Why would anyone be trying to scare off prospective buyers? Do you mean “dog eat dog competition “ for houses ? I don’t understand :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Is this a private estate , those people may be renting the house.
    IF you think they are drug dealers report them to the gardai.
    Or maybe think is it better to stop and think, maybe i,ll just not go ahead with the house purchase.

Crimestoppers
    [URL="tel:1800%20250025"]1800 250025[/URL]
    Report crime anonymously

from gardai.ie website.

i don,t think theres a house with drug dealers or junkies, living in it
    on every street or estate in ireland.
    I have never seen anyone fight on the street i live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭batistuta9

To what effect??
    It’s hardly going to increase the value of the property or cause gazumping to see druggies fighting over heroin in your front garden? Why would anyone be trying to scare off prospective buyers? Do you mean “dog eat dog competition “ for houses ? I don’t understand :confused:

They mean it's someone else who wants the house set this up to scare off the op, they can then buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    Something else to consider - is this a scam to scare you off? You’ve been visiting the area regularly and at the last minute before you sign the contract these heroin junkies appear on your lawn? With the dog eat dog competition in Dublin anything is possible. (I’ve been binge watching ‘The Real Hustle’ on YouTube lately which is putting me in a suspicious frame of mind)

Absolutely....the "other buyer" knew the exact time the OP would visit and arranged the incident to suit.....you need to stop watching TV.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Sono

No way would I be signing any contracts for this house, run and keep running...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Absolutely....the "other buyer" knew the exact time the OP would visit and arranged the incident to suit.....you need to stop watching TV.:)

Other buyer could easily know next door and next door could be on the look out.

Doubt it though tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

We bought in a new build estate about 15 years ago.

Area was pretty good as in the town we were buying was good.

We went through hell. A lot of people bought houses for investment to rent. Loads of drujggies moved out from the city.

We had druggies move in next door, I got up to feed the baby one night and met 2 of the scumbags trying to come in my back door.

Their front door was kicked in one night by a guy in a machete.

When I was pregnant I was ill and needed to go to out of hours doc, they had blocked us in with cars we asked them to move and they pulled a knife on us.

We notified the guards all the time everything happened, we got threatened continuously by them.

They used to deal drugs out of the sitting room window which opened into a shared driveway. Our front doors were next to each other.

The day of my sons christening and we were having a party at the house. They had a well known paedophile sitting in a chair outside their front door all day.

I was putting the baby to bed one night, going up the stairs with the baby in my arms and some shot up the front of their house.

That was it for us, at this point we had the house for sale for 18 months and we couldn’t sell it.

We walked away from it. The bank ended up repossessing it

My MH significantly deteriorated to the point that I am still affected 10 years later. IMO we didn’t walk away soon enough

Katie, so sorry to read this. It is simple horrendous and the powers that be are not doing enough in dealing with this, no one absolutely no one should be forced out of their home due to the behaviour of these addicts. You lost your home and your mental health deteriorated, it's simple horrendous. Best wishes to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Steer55 wrote: »
    Katie, so sorry to read this. It is simple horrendous and the powers that be are not doing enough in dealing with this, no one absolutely no one should be forced out of their home due to the behaviour of these addicts. You lost your home and your mental health deteriorated, it's simple horrendous. Best wishes to you.

Thank you. We were not sleeping, absolutely terrified all the time. It’s just not worth it. We he guards we out Every single day.

The one thing I have learned is that there is very little the guards can do unless they are caught physically in the act. Even the time we caught them trying to come in the back door they only got a rap on the knuckles and I would have to take a civil claim for treapass.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

bri007 wrote: »
    As far as we can gather they are renting, really was a shock as we did so much research into the area and walked numerous times through it.

Not sure what to do, due to sign contracts Tuesday

Sorry to hear about this OP, but this could actually be EXTREMELY GOOD timing on your part.

If you had been there 30 mins either side of that moment you would have had no idea such behaviour was taking place.

I would take it as very fortunate that you happened to be there at that very instant and BEFORE you had gotten to the stage of no return.

I hate to say it, but it's likely a sign you should give up on the house :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hi all,

We have gone sale agreed and signing contracts this week for our house.

We have checked the area inside out over the last 6 months all hours of night and mornings..... all looked great.

Well, this evening we did a drive over as we do many evening planning what we will be/want to do to it once we get the keys.

While we were there, we pulled in outside and two people came out from the house opposite ours and were screaming and shouting and one another. This escalated and then went across into our property to be and got pretty violent. We then decided to get ready to go but we wanted to make sure they weren’t going to damage the house we were buying.

We obviously didn’t get involved but we made out what they were saying. The fight was over heroin and money owed to them. The girls were killing each other until eventually one of the girls got what looked like drugs and went back into the house.

We were shocked, I know this can go on anywhere, but to go on literally in our garden we will be hoping planting trees and plants in in a few weeks time, last thing we want is syringes in the garden.

Is there anything anyone could advise we could do, obviously they haven’t done anything to us other than that and don’t want to start off getting in bad books with them but we are very concerned now.

We love the area and know this can happen anywhere but we don’t want it on our doorstep and especially in our own garden!

Thanks, and I’m not drugs bashing by any means, just don’t want it at my front door.

If you witnessed this, why would you consider proceeding with the purchase?

It will depend where it is to a certain extent. In some estates there is still the odd bollox that isn't tolerated by the majority, in other areas it's so endemic people just keep their heads down. I know you're not keen on naming the suburb but it would help.

Does it really matter; having witnessed it, the OP will either experience it again and regret the purchase or live in fear of it recurring? In either case, better to walk. It can happen anywhere but no sense in buying into what he witnessed even if it doesn’t recur.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 silmond

I would run faster than Usain Bolt if i were you. No chance in hell of peace of mind there.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

As far as we can gather they are renting, really was a shock as we did so much research into the area and walked numerous times through it.

Not sure what to do, due to sign contracts Tuesday

Dont sign the contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Marcusm wrote: »
    Does it really matter; having witnessed it, the OP will either experience it again and regret the purchase or live in fear of it recurring? In either case, better to walk. It can happen anywhere but no sense in buying into what he witnessed even if it doesn’t recur.

The alternative is the OP keeps renting (presumably) and has the constant worry about being evicted by the LL not to mention dead money every month.

If it's on a settled estate in the North suburbs it's a very rare occurrence. Many areas of Dublin have junkies in them even some of the newer 'desirable' areas like Rialto and Stoneybatter. It's knowing whether it's going to be something regular or worsening, or something in an area that's getting better.

The OP's budget may simply not stretch to an area of Dublin that doesn't have the odd issue. Now I'm not suggesting they should put up with any old shyte but context is key here.

The alternative is the OP keeps renting (presumably) and has the constant worry about being evicted by the LL not to mention dead money every month.

If it's on a settled estate in the North suburbs it's a very rare occurrence. Many areas of Dublin have junkies in them even some of the newer 'desirable' areas like Rialto and Stoneybatter. It's knowing whether it's going to be something regular or worsening, or something in an area that's getting better.

The OP's budget may simply not stretch to an area of Dublin that doesn't have the odd issue. Now I'm not suggesting they should put up with any old shyte but context is key here.

It all depends on the nature of the OP and his/her family and whether they can get past it.

It’s a bit like Donald Runsfeld’s known unknowns and unknown unknowns.

Because they have seen the problem, if they go ahead with the purchase, one or otherbof the family members might live in fear of it happening again or, if it happens again, bitch and moan so much as to make life unbearable. Given that anpurchased house is not easily sold, I would actively avoid either of those possible circumstances arising - the intrafamily stress would simply be too much.

Put more simply, it might not be that the particular estate is more prone to drug problems but the knock on effects might be worse than the actuality!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Was living in a house on the outskirts of Dublin for almost 10 years until they put 50+ social housig units behind us.

The vast majority of the people who moved in were grand apart from one family. They caused mayhem, mid week parties until 3AM with music blasting. Constant fighting and arguing. Came to a head one night when, after drinking themselves stupid all day, massive row erupted and the bloke who lived there threatened to kill his missus and their kids.

That was it for me. We were gone in less than 12 months.

Lots of other people have moved out also. Its just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I used to call around to the house I was buying at different times of the day and night like you have done. It's good research to see if there are any issues. You were presumably doing this to ascertain if there was anything happening there that might put you off going through with the purchase. Two drug dealers fighting in your new garden is certainly noteworthy. If that's not going to put you off closing the sale, I'm not sure what will.
    It can be hard to pull out of a sale this close to contracts but you should do so if you think it's the right thing. Perhaps this is an isolated incident and won't reflect the future but maybe it does and years from now you'll be kicking yourself for not taking such a major warning. I'd pull out unless you can get a pretty big reassurance that this is an isolated freak incident. And try to be objective - as you're this close to your new home, you're going to want to hear that it's fine to proceed.
    By the way I went to the local garda station as well just to ask in general about the area and they refused to say anything. Said they could get in trouble for potentially badmouthing an area to vendors and scuppering a sale. Under his breath though, the guard then said the area was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭malinheader

Mousewar wrote: »
    I used to call around to the house I was buying at different times of the day and night like you have done. It's good research to see if there are any issues. You were presumably doing this to ascertain if there was anything happening there that might put you off going through with the purchase. Two drug dealers fighting in your new garden is certainly noteworthy. If that's not going to put you off closing the sale, I'm not sure what will.
    It can be hard to pull out of a sale this close to contracts but you should do so if you think it's the right thing. Perhaps this is an isolated incident and won't reflect the future but maybe it does and years from now you'll be kicking yourself for not taking such a major warning. I'd pull out unless you can get a pretty big reassurance that this is an isolated freak incident. And try to be objective - as you're this close to your new home, you're going to want to hear that it's fine to proceed.
    By the way I went to the local garda station as well just to ask in general about the area and they refused to say anything. Said they could get in trouble for potentially badmouthing an area to vendors and scuppering a sale. Under his breath though, the guard then said the area was fine.

Hopefully the guards will give the OP some indication.
    Even a simple good bye I don't think I should hear from you again. Or.
    Good bye until I hear from you again. Would be a simple indication without getting themselves into trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Hopefully the guards will give the OP some indication.
    Even a simple good bye I don't think I should hear from you again. Or.
    Good bye until I hear from you again. Would be a simple indication without getting themselves into trouble.

I was told that while the area was 'fine', it has breath out 'all kinds'. 'nuff said I felt.
    Another one i met was 'its fine usually'.
    Simple objective internet search going back say five years can show trends nb to watch.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

My friend lives on an old council estate , most of the houses were bought from the council 10 years ago ,
    i have never seen any serious trouble there .no anti social behavior .
    i,d be happy to buy a house there .
    i lived on a standard non council estate ,one person there would have loud partys at weekends .
    He was not a drug dealer ,he was just selfish .
    before you buy a house ,visit it after 9pm, a few times ,look around ,
    is there anyone hanging around ,drinking or making noise.
    maybe talk to the neighbours .
    Ask why is the house for sale.
    At this point in dublin if a council house is more than 15 years old ,
    it will be owned by a former tenant .
    IF you want to stop this sale , talk to your solicitor, ask if you will
    lose your deposit if you paid a deposit .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I don't understand the notion that you have to tip toe around the problem, speak in whispered tones out the corner of your mouth with a nod and a wink. And all for what? in case you offend some drug dealers/users!

This is a social cancer and needs to be met head on. Only when everyone realises it affects them will anything be done about it. Imo, the value of the property would be affected by drug dealers/users fighting on the front lawn. The question is: who would work harder to solve the problem if there was to be a reduction in the property asking price, the seller or the buyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

riclad wrote: »
    My friend lives on an old council estate , most of the houses were bought from the council 10 years ago ,
    i have never seen any serious trouble there .no anti social behavior .
    i,d be happy to buy a house there .
    i lived on a standard non council estate ,one person there would have loud partys at weekends .
    He was not a drug dealer ,he was just selfish .
    before you buy a house ,visit it after 9pm, a few times ,look around ,
    is there anyone hanging around ,drinking or making noise.
    maybe talk to the neighbours .
    Ask why is the house for sale.
    At this point in dublin if a council house is more than 15 years old ,
    it will be owned by a former tenant .
    IF you want to stop this sale , talk to your solicitor, ask if you will
    lose your deposit if you paid a deposit .

If the contracts are not signed, he won't lose anything. Booking deposit is fully refundable at any time up to point of contract signing. The contract deposit is generally only paid when signing contracts, so I doubt OP as paid this - but even if he has, it's refundable so long as he has not signed yet. (It doesn't matter if seller has already signed, it's not binding until both parties sign). This system is in place to protect both buyer and seller, the OP's scenario being a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

I would walk away. Hard to do as it seems your defìnitely emotionally invested at point but count your lucky stars that you've had fair warning.
    What you saw would be a total deal breaker for me. If they are dealing you'll have people calling to them at all hours. And if there is trouble you'll have had fair warning and you'll be kicking yourself for proceeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

6 pages in and not a single post has suggested you go ahead with the sale.

Heart breaking and all as it is you know what you have to do.

If you go ahead with the sale and it all goes belly up then unfortunately you have no one else to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,737 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

RUN RUN RUN

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I don't understand the notion that you have to tip toe around the problem, speak in whispered tones out the corner of your mouth with a nod and a wink. And all for what? in case you offend some drug dealers/users!

This is a social cancer and needs to be met head on. Only when everyone realises it affects them will anything be done about it. Imo, the value of the property would be affected by drug dealers/users fighting on the front lawn. The question is: who would work harder to solve the problem if there was to be a reduction in the property asking price, the seller or the buyer?

I think the OP would prefer to continue living versus getting stabbed to death by some scobie.

When's your new movie coming out Chuck?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I just see an opportunity to tell the sellers what you’ve seen and offer them 30% less than you’re currently thinking of paying! :rolleyes:

Good luck OP, hope it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

I was in the same situation back in 2013, thank god I was warned about the neighbour. The house I was interested in eventually sold to another outsider to the locality for a fraction of what it was worth on paper but since then many of the other immediate neighbours of the problem house have also sold up to escape their misery. Life is too short to have to be guarding your property and checking for syringes constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

Keyzer wrote: »
    Was living in a house on the outskirts of Dublin for almost 10 years until they put 50+ social housig units behind us.

The vast majority of the people who moved in were grand apart from one family. They caused mayhem, mid week parties until 3AM with music blasting. Constant fighting and arguing. Came to a head one night when, after drinking themselves stupid all day, massive row erupted and the bloke who lived there threatened to kill his missus and their kids.

That was it for me. We were gone in less than 12 months.

Lots of other people have moved out also. Its just not worth it.

Pretty sad that one family can cause such hassle for so many others.

The fact that so many on this thread are so terrified of a few junkies is also very disheartening. Suggests something terribly wrong with our police/justice system. But then again we knew that already didn't we.

No protection from or recourse against these lowlifes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement