Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought house- concerning neighbor behavior

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Sorry - Have to say run too, we sold a house years ago cause of Landlords renting to horrible tenants. In retrospect they did us a favour by giving us a push to move on.

Do you want to spend the next 25-30 years working hard to pay your mortgage while this filth lounges around in their pyjamas watching Jeremy Kyle while drinking Tesco beer, injecting heroin and beating their kids?

What area is this? Maybe you can help someone else avoid this trap....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

bri007 wrote: »
    appears to be just a trouble member of one particular family.

If it's an out of control teenager in an otherwise decent family then chances are the teenager will eventually leave and things will settle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    If it's an out of control teenager in an otherwise decent family then chances are the teenager will eventually leave and things will settle down.
    How long will that take?
    If this teenager has a drug problem it could go on for years. He/she will have other junkie pals calling, will probably need to get funds for his habit and the new neighbours are a handy target.
    Read the signs, leave and dont look back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Edgware wrote: »
    How long will that take?
    If this teenager has a drug problem it could go on for years. He/she will have other junkie pals calling, will probably need to get funds for his habit and the new neighbours are a handy target.
    Read the signs, leave and dont look back

You're right it could take some time. Any family can have a youngster go off the rails. It depends on how the family are dealing with it. The fight witnessed could be the family attempting to reign in the problem person. I don't know if there are other junkie pals coming to visit - there's no indication in previous posts that there is a stream of them landing and the family may have barred them. Finding a new home in Dublin is not that easy. Having an individual like that nearby is definitely concerning but is nowhere as catastrophic as having a family of drug dealers on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

Sent the OP a dm

Thanks for the update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭malinheader

secman wrote: »
    To OP, although you are discreetly trying to get a better picture of the problem , you don't kmow who are friendly with the occupants of the problem house and it may get back to them and be a potentially bigger problem for you.

Just pointing out this potential issue.
    Best of luck in your decision, don't envy you.

Have to agree here. If it ever got back to them you were asking around about them to see what kind of people they are could end up being a total nightmare. And it always seems to somehow. Not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You don't have to apologise for 'drugs bashing'.

Nobody in the right mind would want heroin users/dealers as neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

bri007 wrote: »
    Hi all,

We have gone sale agreed and signing contracts this week for our house.

We have checked the area inside out over the last 6 months all hours of night and mornings..... all looked great.

Well, this evening we did a drive over as we do many evening planning what we will be/want to do to it once we get the keys.

While we were there, we pulled in outside and two people came out from the house opposite ours and were screaming and shouting and one another. This escalated and then went across into our property to be and got pretty violent. We then decided to get ready to go but we wanted to make sure they weren’t going to damage the house we were buying.

We obviously didn’t get involved but we made out what they were saying. The fight was over heroin and money owed to them. The girls were killing each other until eventually one of the girls got what looked like drugs and went back into the house.

We were shocked, I know this can go on anywhere, but to go on literally in our garden we will be hoping planting trees and plants in in a few weeks time, last thing we want is syringes in the garden.

Is there anything anyone could advise we could do, obviously they haven’t done anything to us other than that and don’t want to start off getting in bad books with them but we are very concerned now.

We love the area and know this can happen anywhere but we don’t want it on our doorstep and especially in our own garden!

Thanks, and I’m not drugs bashing by any means, just don’t want it at my

front door.

Where is the area in question/location? is it a private estate or a council estate?
    If anything their behaviour is going to get worse until they get kicked out by the landlord or an ASBO order from AGS.

Maybe thats why the owner of the house you have gone sale agreed with moved out in the 1st place, I wouldnt want to be living across the road from drug abusers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP I Would not sign. Plain and simple. Move on and.count yourself Lucky to have been there at the time it happened. Its very innocent of you to think planting a few trees would hid you from the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭snickers

You cannot choose your neighbors no matter we’re you go you will get good and bad you said you visited many times over a 6 month period and this was the only thing you observed so chances are it was an isolated incident but at they end of the day this is the biggest purchase you will probably ever make so trust your gut instinct if it doesn’t feel right walk away .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Sono

Unless this is your absolute dream home for life this is a no brainer and even if it is it’s still a no brainer, you have to pull the plug on this deal.

I understand you’re probably frustrated at trying to find a home but take this as a blessing and move onto the next home.

There will be others that’s for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Wow, what a dilemma, you could be living beside sober teenagers, kids/gangs sitting on your wall at all hours, I don't know what would be worse... If it's a mature/settled area and all the other neighbors are OK it could be worth buying, if not, then maybe you should pull out of the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It's good that the OP is not rushing it. Like others here I feel I'd run a mile too but that's easy to say as we don't know the particulars in actual detail.

What I would say to the OP, don't let the fact that you have spent a few hundred quid already sway you into following through with this. If this place turns out bad, that could be the best money you've ever spent.

We had to pull out of a sale at signing (we actually had the contracts in our possession for a week, mulling it over) and while it did cost quite a bit in fees/searches etc, over a grand iirc, it worked out to be a very good decision, we're in a considerably better position now.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

I look at this story and I see how it would be like if we tried to sell, run a mile and don't look back, there will be other houses in better areas, also don't trust the neighbours, you don't know who's friends/relatives with who, try to find out their names and look them up on social media, it should give you a clearer picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Go over across the road, knock on the door and see what they’re like.

Otna bad idea, go over intro yourself, tell them you're thinking of buyi g that house and ask them if they're aware of any issues or things to be aware of etc, be friendly and chatty..... Get an idea from that what they're like.

You'll be surprised, they won't bite but at least it might help you get and idea about them.

They may not be any trouble at all, might just je 1 arse in the family

• Registered Users Posts: 21,565 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

italodisco wrote: »
    Otna bad idea, go over intro yourself, tell them you're thinking of buyi g that house and ask them if they're aware of any issues or things to be aware of etc, be friendly and chatty..... Get an idea from that what they're like.

You'll be surprised, they won't bite but at least it might help you get and idea about them.

They may not be any trouble at all, might just je 1 arse in the family
    +1
    And if they are rude etc then you know the caliber of people there and it makes your decision easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Radio silence from OP. I'd imagine they're going ahead with purchase.

Rackstar wrote: »

Fair enough if they are and if they haven't also fair enough- they've informed themselves- that's the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Fair enough if they are and if they haven't also fair enough- they've informed themselves- that's the main thing.

Can just picture the OP getting mixed up with Renton, Begbie, Spud, Sick boy etc :pac:

Can just picture the OP getting mixed up with Renton, Begbie, Spud, Sick boy etc :pac:

Big assumption and their decision still :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Sono

Not good alright, the resounding response on this thread was possibly ignored, I hope he doesn’t live to regret this decision if in fact the OP did go through with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The OP would be insane to sign contracts. Emotionally attached to property is not a good thing.

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

They've developed a heroin addiction and pulled out of the sale to spend their deposit on heroin... Good thing the dodged the house though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I didn’t post an update as I didn’t have one to update you all until this morning.

We have decided to pull out of the sale, we are looking at another house in a different area but close to where we work so it’s all good. Just considering how much to offer for it. If not we will wait until a few months or the summer before jumping in again.

Thanks for all the help and advice folks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Best of luck OP, glad to hear you came to a conclusion you're comfortable with.

As there's little to be added, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement