Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    In fairness to her, she was the first big name in RTE to volunteer to take a pay reduction after the crash. Others had to be bullied and shamed into it but she was the first to volunteer. Many of the other big names blame her for starting the wage reduction that they all did eventually.

Aye. I know she has her critics, but she showed herself to be one of the few in Montrose that was not completely consumed by ego.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

humberklog wrote: »
    I wouldn't have had Delaney down as part of Marian's "dinner and fags" clique but she came out some scutter in bland defense of Delaney.

She thought it was a great idea to pop us in the hat as an extra team? John delivered the Aviva stadium in rude financial health? And her remarks were allowed to go unquestioned?

She was playing devils advocate there. I am quite sure she knew the reasons why the WC could not have 33 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Heard them saying on Off The Ball that Eamonn Dunphy did a complete u-turn on what he said on The Marion Finucane Show in his article in the paper yesterday.

Heard them saying on Off The Ball that Eamonn Dunphy did a complete u-turn on what he said on The Marion Finucane Show in his article in the paper yesterday.

Eamo is some man for the u-turns in general. He is brought on to be a rent-a-quote for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Lads apologies for this and nothing personal but.......

Let’s nip this in the bud RIGHT NOW.

It’s Bernie Sanders........S A N D E R S.

His name is going to come up a lot, so please, pretty please, with sugar on, let’s get it right .

Let’s not go down the Saunya O’ Sullivan road pleaseeeeee.

Raunt over :D

You beat me to it! Wrecks my head when people who should know better pronounce Sanders as Saunders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

mzungu wrote: »
    Eamo is some man for the u-turns in general. He is brought on to be a rent-a-quote for the most part.

That’s it. Eamo does a ring round and asks for advice then decides what his opinion is.

No harm in that- he’s been published since late 70s so it’s obv working

That’s it. Eamo does a ring round and asks for advice then decides what his opinion is.

No harm in that- he’s been published since late 70s so it’s obv working

It's his business model so I say fair play. He has made himself a rich man out of it.

It does mean, however, that I would take his analysis of any situation with a large pinch of salt. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

brooke 2 wrote: »
    You beat me to it! Wrecks my head when people who should know better pronounce Sanders as Saunders.

He calls himself Bernie Sandahs. He should come on to Boards to learn how to say his own name correctly.

Seems to Be sayin

Sand ass

Although emphasis on nd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I wish to apologise unreservedly for any distress I may have caused by mis-typing Mr Sanders' name. However, I categorically deny that I ever mis-spoke the name of that man ... Mr Sanders.
    I won't be commenting further on the matter, wishing to spend time with my family and I ask that our privacy be respected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Seems to Be sayin

Sand ass

Although emphasis on nd

Boston accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

humberklog wrote: »
    I wouldn't have had Delaney down as part of Marian's "dinner and fags" clique but she came out some scutter in bland defense of Delaney.

She thought it was a great idea to pop us in the hat as an extra team? John delivered the Aviva stadium in rude financial health? And her remarks were allowed to go unquestioned?
    She was playing devils advocate there. I am quite sure she knew the reasons why the WC could not have 33 teams.
    It didn't come across as her playing devil's advocate to me. It sounded like a genuine defence of the indefensible.

serfboard wrote: »
    It didn't come across as her playing devil's advocate to me. It sounded like a genuine defence of the indefensible.

Ah, she was trying to add balance into the show. Give the opposing side and whatnot. It would not be her job to have a go at Delaney, that part is usually up to the guests.

Ah, she was trying to add balance into the show. Give the opposing side and whatnot. It would not be her job to have a go at Delaney, that part is usually up to the guests.

To me it sounded like she was defending Delaney to the hilt and she didn’t have a clue why ireland being alllowed into the WC was never gonna happen

It fits into the pig ignorance that she displays every week.

To me it sounded like she was defending Delaney to the hilt and she didn’t have a clue why ireland being alllowed into the WC was never gonna happen

It fits into the pig ignorance that she displays every week.

To be fair to MF, she is a smart cookie. There is no way in hell she didn't know the reasons why there could not be 33 teams at the WC. Lots of presenters ask obvious questions in case some of their listeners might not be clued up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

To be fair to MF, she is a smart cookie. There is no way in hell she didn't know the reasons why there could not be 33 teams at the WC. Lots of presenters ask obvious questions in case some of their listeners might not be clued up.

100% agree. I'm no fan of Marian's but she was playing devil's advocate to stoke the flames a little.

Sorry, I actually doubt she’s very smart. I listen to her every week and hope against hope she will show some intelligence but no, it’s the usual trite cliches every week

She embarrasses herself every few minutes on the show

Follow this thread and you will see it

Sorry, I actually doubt she’s very smart. I listen to her every week and hope against hope she will show some intelligence but no, it’s the usual trite cliches every week

She embarrasses herself every few minutes on the show

Follow this thread and you will see it

I listen to MF pretty much most weekends and I have been following the thread here for years (including part 1) dipping in and out.

MF is quite smart. Before she was on RTE she was an architect. The listener knows that she is well aware why Ireland can't be a 33rd team. It's all part of the dance of radio presenting. She has also managed to get herself a pretty decent number with the national broadcaster for a nice yearly fee. Believe me, she is in no way stupid.

Those questions she asks are for the benefit of the listener. When she plays devils advocate, it's her trying to stop things getting too one-sided. Lots of presenters do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I listen to MF pretty much most weekends and I have been following the thread here for years (including part 1) dipping in and out.

MF is quite smart. Before she was on RTE she was an architect. The listener knows that she is well aware why Ireland can't be a 33rd team. It's all part of the dance of radio presenting. She has also managed to get herself a pretty decent number with the national broadcaster for a nice yearly fee. Believe me, she is in no way stupid.

Those questions she asks are for the benefit of the listener. When she plays devils advocate, it's her trying to stop things getting too one-sided. Lots of presenters do it.

Good call there, Mzungu.

Only thing I would disagree with is the expression “ nice yearly fee”...I’d have put in ‘outrageous’ instead of nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Did she just say she saw a pic of a woman "Up on top of a steeplejack, pregnant"?

• Advertisement

Oh good Jasus.

Maeve Higgins.

Radio off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

"Just because you vote for a black man doesn't mean that your not racist".

Oh just get out of the f**king studio, you obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about. Happy enough to throw out the "only racists voted for Trump" cos it's popular to hate Trump in her profession, but can't justify it when she has to explain herself. If you want to do the SJW bit, why don't you ask Mary Robinson about how that poor girl is getting on in Dubai?

Neil Degrasse Tyson - Are you going to ask her any questions about his recent problems?

Oh good Jasus.

Maeve Higgins.

Radio off

Is that who it is? Gawd. I like to stick Marian on in the background the odd Saturday. Will be turning it off this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

she sounds like a 14 year old air schoolgirl... grow up , i'd say she's the unfunniest comedian ever with an audience full of hipsters there because they feel they should be rather than actually finding her funny .

Half-laughing at (the very funny) Maeve Higgins

But also at the idea of people fuming at a funny woman chatting to another woman on the radio.

She's made a pretty successful, high profile career for herself in US comedy, I don't think everyone's just pretending to like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

What an insufferable woman, if you wanted to play a fictional parody of SJW bores, she would be right on the money

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    What an insufferable woman, if you wanted to play a fictional parody of SJW bores, she would be right on the money
    ever Marion , the figurehead of feminism in this country clearly cant stand her.

how long before Marion DOESNT mention the Mueller report Trump exoneration ?.... probably the whole weekend .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

She's made a pretty successful, high profile career for herself in US comedy, I don't think everyone's just pretending to like her.

*cough* Donald Trump *cough*

• Advertisement

Half-laughing at (the very funny) Maeve Higgins

But also at the idea of people fuming at a funny woman chatting to another woman on the radio.

I think she's an awful dose and it has nothing to do with her political views.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement