Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Tiebreak wrote: »
    Yep pretty much it takes the mod of a tennis forum to remember these things. The way people were talking about those events at the time we should all remember the minute details decades later.
    Ya, because everyone was heralding a 28 year old Stakhovsky as the next big thing when he beat a near-prime Federer in 2013. :rolleyes: Small bit different when an improving 20 year old beats a near-retiring 37 year old Federer

lostcat wrote: »
    Well, the young guns may finally be making a move, or a multiple of small moves which will end up as a 'movemenr' by the middle of the year. Djokovic could have his hands full against Medvedev tomorrow too, the guy can fairly leather the ball.

there seems to be a hell of a lot of tie breakers this year so far, must mean that the courts are playing fast, or is everyone serving bigger? I haven seem much of the play so far...

Federer saying that the courts were playing slower this year

1 min 19 seconds

and he was asked about "changing of the guard"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Tiebreak wrote: »
    A 19 or 20 year old Zverev beat Federer in the Final at Montreal.

How could it even be a changing of the guard when Federer isn't the guard, Djokovic is the guard.

Well Federer was two-time defending champion in Melbourne, so technically speaking, in terms of the Australian Open, Federer was the guard.

Nonsense discussion anyway.

Didn't know that Tsitsipas is the first Greek male to ever go inside the top 100.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/46931595

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Just my take on it, but Fed announcing that he is playing clay this year seems like it could be part of a farewell tour. Does he honestly think he has a realistic chance against Nadal (and Thiem/Zverev who are RG champs in the waiting) after not playing on clay for over 2 years. Seems like an unnecessary risk that could jeopardize a realistic title tilt at SW19 - unless of course he feels he owes it to the fans to play one more time before he leaves...:confused:

When I heard that i thought the same as you. Could his farewell.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Stakhovsky beat Federer. Watched it from The Hill. As for Nadal - Steve Darcis, Lukas something and Dustin Brown? Kyrgios beat him at some stage as well. Remember Lukas because of Murray's "nobody likes you" comment!:D

Its Lucas Rosol. He really got under Nadals skin that day. Was there also a bit of a shoulder barge at one stage at the change of ends in that match?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Floppybits wrote: »
    Its Lucas Rosol. He really got under Nadals skin that day. Was there also a bit of a shoulder barge at one stage at the change of ends in that match?

Yes

Meanwhile, it looks like the Sharpova press conference was fun :pac:

https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/1086995014012620810

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Yes

Meanwhile, it looks like the Sharpova press conference was fun :pac:

https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/1086995014012620810

Poor Maria! Can’t see why asking about the toilet break was a “silly” question. It provoked the crowd, seemed to backfire on her (if indeed it was a conscious effort to check her opponents momentum), it was obvious it would be asked and she just didn’t have an answer for it. The meldonium question is a bit too much though, far too loaded and worthless topic at this point.

Poor Maria! Can’t see why asking about the toilet break was a “silly” question. It provoked the crowd, seemed to backfire on her (if indeed it was a conscious effort to check her opponents momentum), it was obvious it would be asked and she just didn’t have an answer for it. The meldonium question is a bit too much though, far too loaded and worthless topic at this point.

Completely disagree with this. She's a drug cheat. Why should she get a free pass while Justin Gatlin continues to get asked about doping in his press conferences? That was actually a very valid question by that journalist, one which she had no answer to. She's pretty despicable to be honest. Fair play to that reporter for bringing up the subject. One wouldn't know she had a doping past if you only listened to Eurosport etc.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Completely disagree with this. She's a drug cheat. Why should she get a free pass while Justin Gatlin continues to get asked about doping in his press conferences? That was actually a very valid question by that journalist, one which she had no answer to. She's pretty despicable to be honest. Fair play to that reporter for bringing up the subject. One wouldn't know she had a doping past if you only listened to Eurosport etc.

Yeah perhaps so, but I think there’s a way of bringing it up without it sounding as loaded as that. The purpose of a press conference after all is asking questions and eliciting responses. I’m not surprised she didn’t respond to the way that question was asked, but likely she wouldn’t have responded to it whatever way it was asked. If it makes the journalists and us feel better by asking it at every opportunity then fair enough. I don’t see what enlightenment can come from it but that’s just me. The toilet question was of far greater relevance and she ducked that too which doesn’t reflect well on her at all.

I think both questions were relevant. She could have answered the crowd treatment simply by saying that the crowd were supporting their home player and she expected it and had no problem with it.

The drug question i thought was fine because it would be interesting to know if it has affected her since she came back. She hasnt been the same since she came back. Probably a question more for a biography at the end of her career.

Yeah perhaps so, but I think there’s a way of bringing it up without it sounding as loaded as that. The purpose of a press conference after all is asking questions and eliciting responses. I’m not surprised she didn’t respond to the way that question was asked, but likely she wouldn’t have responded to it whatever way it was asked. If it makes the journalists and us feel better by asking it at every opportunity then fair enough. I don’t see what enlightenment can come from it but that’s just me. The toilet question was of far greater relevance and she ducked that too which doesn’t reflect well on her at all.

A tweet I’ve read about this topic which I 100% echo:

Sharapova has just lost a three-set match during which she clearly struggled physically. She has reached just one grand slam quarter-final since her return. I believe it's pertinent to ask a question like this after this match.

Sharapova has just lost a three-set match during which she clearly struggled physically. She has reached just one grand slam quarter-final since her return. I believe it's pertinent to ask a question like this after this match.

Fair point alright.

Exactly the reason to ask the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Maybe that's due to the fact that she hasn't played regularly for so long. She had been stop-starting with her career before the ban due to injuries, then served the ban, and then has been back to stop-starting due to injuries. Kind of hard to get any form going when you can't get a decent run of matches together.

The drug she was taking wasn't banned for most of the time she took it, and didn't stop her injuries while she was taking it. That's not how it works. It's not even classed as a PED, or at least wasn't when she was banned, and as far as I know, it still isn't. It's a bit silly to be trying to pass off her lack of form as something to do with a drug that doesn't give form to begin with. The injuries, coupled with a lengthy ban, are more than enough to explain her lack of consistency.

Osaka trailing early. Could be in for another long night/morning!

Raonic beats Zevrev in 3 sets 6-1,6-1, 7-6.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Floppybits wrote: »
    Raonic beats Zevrev in 3 sets 6-1,6-1, 7-6.

wow!
    That is a shock!

I hope Zverev doesn't turn out to be another dissapointment, sadly it looks the case.

I see Nadal is now 2.25 to win the AO :)
    In fairness to him, he has completely changed his game, no grinding , shortening the points and hitting winners from everywhere - needed to change it to minimise chance of injury.

Watching williams here, jaysus sorry to say this but she has some fat arse on her, that suit shouldn't be allowed for fuxake!!

Halep getting a hiding from Serena. That outfit Serena is wearing, WTF.

• Advertisement

1-1

GAME ON!!!!

Halep is playing very well here, believe she can do this.

Spoke too soon. Halep takes the second set 6-4.

Very comfortable hold from halep, williams looking a small bit sluggish by her old standards. Great contest now.

Very comfortable hold from halep, williams looking a small bit sluggish by her old standards. Great contest now.

Halep on top now, moving Serena around the court. Halep is tearing around the court

What a point for break point.

Halep missed 2 break points there, I have a feeling Serena will sneak this one ...

make that 3 .... deuce ... huge game ..

3-3 I think that could be it for Halep ... shame..

• Advertisement

Needs first serves, just getting smacked on second now

Advertisement