Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

This match between Federer and Tsitsipas is quality!

Yeah, it's a great one!

Auld Rodge could be on an early plane home.

Crazy stat just before that game for 3rd set

- "Tsitsipas and Federer have played 58 games without a break this month. "

What about the treatment for the Greek?

that Castle plonker has his say

https://twitter.com/AndrewCastle63/status/1086951071015231488

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

glasso wrote: »
    What about the treatment for the Greek?

that Castle plonker has his say

https://twitter.com/AndrewCastle63/status/1086951071015231488
    :rolleyes: Would expect nothing less from that clown...the cult of Federer is alive and well!

Whenever they say "mini-break" I can't help but think of that Bridget Jones movie.

• Advertisement

One match point and it's done.

Real changing of the guard this time?

Federer was not as clinical as you'd expect him to be.

The Greek really took his chances - didn't need to be asked twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Yeah no messing about there, put it to bed pretty smartly from 5-6 in that breaker.

Yeah no messing about there, put it to bed pretty smartly from 5-6 in that breaker.

and Fed had 12 break points on serve - got none

Tsitsipas took the 1 that he got.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Dare we dream of a new grand slam champion on Sunday or is that just crazy talk?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Dare we dream of a new grand slam champion on Sunday or is that just crazy talk?
    I'd love nothing more than a Tsitsipas - Zverev final. Based on some of the performances of 2018 (namely Tsitsipas beating Djokovic in Rogers Cup & Zverev winning Madrid & ATP Finals), I was predicting that this "NextGen" would break through this year. No better place to start than down under!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Federer out of the last three slams in the first match where he's dropped a set?

Chivito550 wrote: »

Tsitsipas has a real winner's mindset/ belief.

Federer wasn't great tonight.

He'd have Nadal in the semis if they both get through.

But Butista Agut is a real competitor - could easily beat him in the next round.

Could have 2 real old vs new semis if Djokovic and Zverev make it there also on the other side.

You'd still have to favour Djokovic and Nadal to make the final.

Tiebreak wrote: »
    Was it changing if the guard in 2010 when Berdych beat Federer in wimbledon quarters, or Tsonga in 2011 wimbledon quarters, or Robredo in 2013 US Open 4th round, or Cilic 2014 US Open final or Anderson at Wimbledon last year?

How do you define changing of the guard, what does it mean?
    Calm down, these posters are only asking a question, not offering a hypothesis on "changing of the guard". For what it's worth, when an up-and-coming 20 year old (who has improved immeasurably year-on-year) beats an aging 37 year old legend (who happens to be said 20 year old's idol), it would seem plausible that a slight shift in mens tennis may be happening.

Was it changing if the guard in 2010 when Berdych beat Federer in wimbledon quarters, or Tsonga in 2011 wimbledon quarters, or Robredo in 2013 US Open 4th round, or Raonic 2016 Wimbledon final, or Cilic 2014 US Open final or Anderson at Wimbledon last year?

How do you define changing of the guard, what does it mean?

It's a speculative thing that is proved in retrospection.

It can only be qualified years after the event where it can be looked back where the previous best vs the ascending player marked their respective opposing trajectories.

So those ones you pointed to didn't prove to be.

Like Fed - Sampras at Wimbledon in 2001 is referred in those terms.

It's also not as clear cut as Sampras for example was pretty much out on his own and subsequently Fed out on his own after for a while as the obvious premier players.

Whereas with Djokovic and Nadal still at the highest level it doesn't have the same meaning here.

It's only a term to talk about the arrival of a new generation.

I would argue that it can only be used for a competitive GS match (4th round + not a total off day in the early rounds), not a 3 setter.

What I dislike about such comments is the neediness to look for dramatic moments. This match will likely be forgotten about in a few years. Federer is already 13 years past his best.

would you stop projecting

and IF, huge IF, Tsitsipas goes on to be a hugely dominant player it would not be a match that is forgotten but spoken about in those terms.

What I dislike about such comments is the neediness to look for dramatic moments. This match will likely be forgotten about in a few years. Federer is already 13 years past his best.
    Ah come off it, we're not the only ones drawing such conclusions - have a look online at what seasoned tennis commentators and analysts (who I would regard as a lot more knowledgeable than you or I) are saying about this match. It's the manner in which Tsitsipas beat Fed too, he was calm, assured, confident, aggressive - all qualities which would suggest he has a bright future. You've 10/11 posts on here, after Fed gets beaten, complaining about some suggesting that there *might* be a changing of the guard, reeks of a salty Fed fan imo

Federer came across as fatalistic in his press conference there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Its great to see so many of the next gen going deep in a slam, tiafoe, tsipitas, zevrev, Medvedev, Coric. Not sure where you would put Raonic, Batista agut and Pouille.

Changing of the guard, we won't know that till the younger players start outnumbering the old guard in the latter stages and winning the tournaments.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Deighted for Tsitsipas, but all it'll do it pave the way for Nadal to get to the final now. Still, if it is a Djokovic-Nadal final, at least I'll be getting a sleep in that Sunday morning :)

Dunno what dafuq happened to Kerber last night, she was my favourite for the title. I'll be happy with either Kvitova or Stephens reaching the final from that bottom half. Would be happy with anyone except Sevastova or Serena from the top half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

glasso wrote: »

Like Fed - Sampras at Wimbledon in 2001 is referred in those terms.

That was a media invention really, Sampras won the US Open the following year...

Disappointed to see Fed go out but easier to take when its at the hands of a potential superstar. This guy has every shot in the book and seems so solid upstairs also.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Interesting, Federer talking about playing clay this year. I can't see why he would though really, it worked out well for him avoiding it.

That was a media invention really, Sampras won the US Open the following year...

Disappointed to see Fed go out but easier to take when its at the hands of a potential superstar. This guy has every shot in the book and seems so solid upstairs also.

look it's just a term - and always going to come up in commentary as they need something to talk about during a match.

It doesn't have to be the match after which the incumbent is finished - (but incidently Sampras retired directly after that US Open win a year later).

Only years later can be pointed back to - and yes is an artificial term.

Tsitsipas's mentality is very very impressive for his age I agree - can have all the talent but if you don't have that belief and grit in the mind it's not worth much - case in point Nick Kyrgios

Where are you seeing the press conference?

Eurosport showed a short extract of it.

Didn't work out well last year.

And the year before that?

Just my take on it, but Fed announcing that he is playing clay this year seems like it could be part of a farewell tour. Does he honestly think he has a realistic chance against Nadal (and Thiem/Zverev who are RG champs in the waiting) after not playing on clay for over 2 years. Seems like an unnecessary risk that could jeopardize a realistic title tilt at SW19 - unless of course he feels he owes it to the fans to play one more time before he leaves...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Interesting, Federer talking about playing clay this year. I can't see why he would though really, it worked out well for him avoiding it.

If he plays the clay court season I would guess it's because he knows that time is up and he wants to give a farewell performance at Roland Garros, and thinks he has little chance of winning at Wimbledon anyway. I always figured he'd make one more appearance in Paris in his final season, but thought it might come next year.

Either that or he's worried about his ranking, he'll drop to 6 or possibly 7 after this tournament.

Yeah, I just can't see him playing RG at this stage, unless he'd actually know it to be his last year. But at the very least I think he'll play until next year what it being Olympic year, so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Without googling can anyone here remember the name of the player to knock Federer out of the 2nd round of wimbledon in 2013, or Nadal in the early rounds in 2012, 13, 14 ? Anyone remember that HISTORY!!!

Stakhovsky beat Federer. Watched it from The Hill. As for Nadal - Steve Darcis, Lukas something and Dustin Brown? Kyrgios beat him at some stage as well. Remember Lukas because of Murray's "nobody likes you" comment!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Well, the young guns may finally be making a move, or a multiple of small moves which will end up as a 'movemenr' by the middle of the year. Djokovic could have his hands full against Medvedev tomorrow too, the guy can fairly leather the ball.

there seems to be a hell of a lot of tie breakers this year so far, must mean that the courts are playing fast, or is everyone serving bigger? I haven seem much of the play so far...

Advertisement