Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Are you seriously comparing nursing home care with the care delivered in an acute hospital????

Nursing is an incredibly broad role. A nurse in a hospital could be working in anything from ICU/CCU/HDU to a day hospital or long term care, nursing home type of ward.
    A nurse working in ICU/CCU/HDU is constantly on the alert working with, caring for and monitoring patients. They are giving them medication. Washing them. Toileting them.

Nurses on other hospital wards also do the washing, toileting, changing the beds and cleaning bedside. These are absolutely not tasks that are done solely by Health Care Assistants. There are simply not enough HCAs to cover this work. Hospitals could absolutely do with hiring more HCAs, the starting salary of a HCA is not far off what a nurse starts on - which is ridiculous.

An endoscopy nurse will prep patients for endoscopy and then monitor and care for patients after their scope, they will also be delivering results of the scope to patients. Less heavy or stressful work on the whole than inpatient work but still a skilled role when it comes to the monitoring and care of patients who are coming around from sedation.

A neo-natal ICU nurse will spend their entire day keeping incredibly ill babies alive and giving them a chance at life. Dunno about anyone here but if someone dedicated their working time to keeping a baby I had that was born at 28 weeks or with a serious illness alive I'd be forever grateful to the skills that person has that allowed them to do that.

Nursing is a highly skilled job, right from the bottom up. Just because jobs x, y, z are hard and skilled too doesn't take away from what other people deserve for the work they do. It's a ridiculous argument.

If an aircraft ( or train ) mech gets it wrong 300+ people could die

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

158 TDs
    55,000 nurses

Yeah, it's pretty much the exact same cost to the taxpayer.

Soooooo… your point is?

The nurses aren’t actually looking for a rise. They are looking for their promised pay restoration.

Promised. Never delivered. Then they gave themselves not only a restoration but a rise. Like they’ve been doing such a bang up job.

If they disappeared tomorrow, they would easily be replaced. As we can see, it hasn’t been easy to replace nurses.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I don't care.

Not surprised, you might change your attitude when you end up in hospital at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Not surprised, you might change your attitude when you end up in hospital at some stage

It's not about who is more important, or who is an "angel on Earth". It's about walking away from agreed pay terms and setting off impossible knock-on demands across the whole PS just before Brexit hits. And I won't change my attitude on that either way - they are paid enough and they knew that when they previously agreed.

mad muffin wrote: »
    The nurses aren’t actually looking for a rise. They are looking for their promised pay restoration.

Will that make their pay rise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Soooooo… your point is?

Promised. Never delivered. Then they gave themselves not only a restoration but a rise. Like they’ve been doing such a bang up job.

If they disappeared tomorrow, they would easily be replaced. As we can see, it hasn’t been easy to replace nurses.

Nurses are looking for restoration to a level in 2007, they attained those dizzy heights due to'' benchmarking'. Benchmarking then got ignored when those they wanted to be compared with lost their job'

It's not about who is more important, or who is an "angel on Earth". It's about walking away from agreed pay terms and setting off impossible knock-on demands across the whole PS just before Brexit hits. And I won't change my attitude on that either way - they are paid enough and they knew that when they previously agreed.

Ah you might get there eventually, might! We ve learned a lot since the crash, one important thing being, creating money is easy, but we haven't figured out how to equally distribute it, but causing rapid asset price inflation and forcing low wage inflation, probably isn't a good idea in the long term!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If they could figure out some way of ring-fencing it so other health care worker and public servant did not all pile in looking for a raise they might get it, but that would be almost impossible, so the choices are a quicker restoration to pre paycut levels, tinkering around with a retention bonus or more money added to certain posts in other workds giving more money but disguising it somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Or… cut nurses income tax? They’ll get more money by paying less tax?

*shrugs*

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Then let's hire more staff and keep salaries as they were agreed.

Part of the strike is about working conditions. So increasing staffing would absolutely help quell the strike. Many nurses are still on a very poor wage though.

gctest50 wrote: »
    If an aircraft ( or train ) mech gets it wrong 300+ people could die

If I get something wrong in my job there is no chance whatsoever that anyone would die or even be in any way injured, they might be slightly inconvenienced though.

What has any of this got to do with whether nurses should get a payrise?? :confused:

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ah you might get there eventually, might! We ve learned a lot since the crash, one important thing being, creating money is easy, but we haven't figured out how to equally distribute it, but causing rapid asset price inflation and forcing low wage inflation, probably isn't a good idea in the long term!

I'm glad someone else is worried about the ever-widening gap between the average public sector worker's salary and those in private sector propping them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

What is their average pay?

I'm glad someone else is worried about the ever-widening gap between the average public sector worker's salary and those in private sector propping them up.

You ll actually find, the majority of money is indeed created by the private sector, but largely by the financial sector in the form of debt, I.e. the private sector isn't actually propping up the public sector, everyone's getting screwed, just some are getting more screwed than others, in both sectors. We could always continue with project 'race to the bottom' though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Then let's hire more staff and keep salaries as they were agreed.

I'm sorry, I actually though you read the thread.

Let me explain again everything that's been said since page 1 and why your comment is bullsh*t
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

welltodo wrote: »
    hopefully

but the way varadker is i'd say he'll cut their pay so they have to go to australia and then he'll bring in his own kind

Thirty-something Irish males?

What is their average pay?

Irrelevant. What is the median pay?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

fxotoole wrote: »
    Thirty-something Irish males?

Varadkar is 40.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Varadkar is 40.

Forty-something Irish males then

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

€30,000 starting rising to €45,000 over 8-10 years. I'm sorry but that's about right for someone making close to 0 clinical decisions.

But Nurses are the gold standard for whatever reason. It's political suicide to stand against them. Whatever they demand they'll have the support of the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,073 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Again - there is a bit missing out of your story

What were the events leading up to that ?

Why didn't she "see it coming" and in good time

hurr durr, that's why they are in a psyche ward
    She was at the nurses station talking to a colleague. The patient punched per from behind.

I didn't say psyche ward, did I?

Psyche patient on a standard ward. Pediatric surgical ward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Soooooo… your point is?

They are looking for a rise.

Pay restoration in law binding and happening anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I'm sorry but that's about right for someone making close to 0 clinical decisions.

I'm sorry, what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

I'm sorry, what now?

Apart from prescribing nurses (of which there are few) what clinical decisions do nurses make regarding patient health?

They are looking for a rise.

Pay restoration in law binding and happening anyway.

It isn't happening though. It has not happened. That is part of the reason for the strike - the government have ignored them cause they wouldn't strike previously

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It isn't happening though. It has not happened. That is part of the reason for the strike - the government have ignored them cause they wouldn't strike previously

There is no they - SIPTU nurses are not striking

Unlike filthy blackmailing INMO nurses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭enricoh

I think they have missed the boat. The day the cops got their side deal pay rise two years ago was the day the nurses should have acted.
    With brexit around the corner it'd be lunacy spending extra dough.
    I know a few people who lost their jobs after the tiger, retrained and are in the local hospital now. Dont have to worry about being let go, missing mortgage repayments or paying creche. A lot said for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

Goldengirl wrote: »
    While I don't agree with splitting into factions, nurse managers, assistant directors of nursing and Directors, are all paid on a different payscale to the regular staff nurse scale anyhow...so yes, a rise in pay for nurses does not mean a rise for these promotional grades, as the extra for experience and qualifications is meant to be built into their pay grade.
    However you can't expect nurses to take on a role where they have a major increase in responsibility , and have to have certain extra qualifications, if they are not going to earn more than the senior staff nurses working on their unit, can you? That is like the civil service trying o entice senior consultants from the private sector, but with less pay .

I’m not saying the lower paid should get more of an increase,I’m saying they should get the same amount, they already have their pay increase structure this is supplemental and should be the same for all nurses accross the board. The argument is that nurses are leaving but it’s the one on lower wages that are leaving.

There is no they - SIPTU nurses are not striking

Unlike filthy blackmailing INMO nurses

SIPTU weren't balloted on it - to the surprise of SIPTU nurses I know.

Also, how is there NO they? How are the INMO not a collective that can be refered to as They?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I’m not saying the lower paid should get more of an increase,I’m saying they should get the same amount, they already have their pay increase structure this is supplemental and should be the same for all nurses accross the board. The argument is that nurses are leaving but it’s the one on lower wages that are leaving.

Yeah excellent point if it could be structured so that only those on the lower end of the pay scale and excluded CNM's and those at the upper end of the pay scale, plus there was no pay relativity with anyone else it would work but that is very hard to do.

Advertisement