Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Didnt Lucinda Creighton have a new 'right' wing party a few years back that talked about cutting public spending and failed miserably at the polls ?

Yes. I think though that their social policies scuppered them. Hard to tell numbers, but on Boards I saw very little discussion of their economic policies, and far more discussion around their social policies (more accurately the beliefs of the individual members).

A better example might be the Progressive Democrats. They ultimately failed, but I think for years they provided some balance to the left-wing parties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 162 ✭✭David73

Varta wrote: »
    No you have not. It's actually not possible. You are now making a fool of yourself.
    Typical of the pro nurse strike, dismiss any factual counter argument as untrue and insult them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

David73 wrote: »
    Can I ask what age you qualified at?

I was 24 when I graduated with my masters

Gael23 wrote: »
    I was 24 when I graduated with my masters

So you were 15 years old when you joined board.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Guessing at IQ not the smartest way to determine intellect, i take it you must be a nurse and couldn't achieve the points to be a doctor. A nurse is equivalent to a laborer for a block layer, hands the docs the tools needed to actually carry out a job.

Suuure... That's why they need a degree and are highly sought after..
    Did you get that information from a Carry On film?
    Typical of the pro nurse strike, dismiss any factual counter argument as untrue and insult them

Your factual argument is "I saw a nurse play solitaire once"

Suuure ya did ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Binmen are highly sought after in some parts of the world so that argument is redundant, a degree amazing, every tom dick and harry has a degree theses days me included. A degree does not entitle you to jack ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Nurses are going to get their payrise, It's one branch of the public service applying for a rise to another branch of the public service in a scenario that all the public service will get a rise if they grant a rise.
    Am i missing something, it has nothing to do with deserving it

Your factual argument is "I saw a nurse play solitaire once"

Suuure ya did ..

You've made some whacky points about Doctors not being G.P's and/or consultants.
    Doctors being practically millionaires and nurses should be too.

Binmen are highly sought after in some parts of the world so that argument is redundant, a degree amazing, every tom dick and harry has a degree theses days me included. A degree does not entitle you to jack ****.

Are they really?

Where exactly?
    What country has a problem recruiting binmen?

Are they really?

Where exactly?

quick google brings this back

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-44654835

My local binman said they are struggling to recruit and retain binmen too, it's a crisis like the nurses.

• Advertisement

You've made some whacky points about Doctors not being G.P's and/or consultants.
    Doctors being practically millionaires and nurses should be too.

Never said that.
    I made the distinction between junior doctors who start on 30 odd k and are in the sh*t with nurses for years, and GPs and consultants who are on decent salaries, although they're still leaving Ireland.

You equated the two to make a spurious whataboutery point.
    quick google brings this back

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-44654835

Can we all take a moment to admire this wacky point where you're comparing a nursing shortages, which is an ongoing crisis in the western world, to one company, in one small town, who can't hire binmen because lads get paid better in the local building site.

Are they really?

Where exactly?
    https://money.cnn.com/2016/02/24/news/economy/trash-workers-high-pay/index.html

Happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

A nurse tops out in the high 50k, a doctor tops out much higher, depending on speciality, qualification, location, size of practice and many other factors.
    Many health care professionals top out around 50k after around 15 years.
    Physios, radiographers, medical scientists, speech and language therapists, occupational therapists etc.

How much do you think nurses should earn? 60k? 70k? Because that would be exceptional money.

Then we'd hear all about pay parity.

Never said that.
    I made the distinction between junior doctors who start on 30 odd k and are in the sh*t with nurses for years, and GPs and consultants who are on decent salaries, although they're still leaving Ireland.

You equated the two to make a spurious whataboutery point.

You've misquoted me too.

And G.P's are not on "decent salaries" even if they own their own prectice.

Doctors are in even more **** than the nurses as they are academically more qualified and have clinical responsibility, nurses do not have clinical responsibility (legal)
    Doctors don't even compare on the scale to nurses, the nurses have it easy compared to the whiney nurses.

But empty vessels make the most noise!!

I've seen nurses play Solitare on the computer in the hospital

That's nothing, I was told to get up and execise when I felt well enough after an op, so headed off on the corridors at 2am,
    I found the nurses at the Nurses Station trying on clothes for an event that was coming up :D ...you know what, it didn't do me a bit of harm, I didn't even sue

You've misquoted me too.

Doctors are in even more **** than the nurses as they are academically more qualified and have clinical responsibility, nurses do not have clinical responsibility (legal)
    Doctors don't even compare on the scale to nurses, the nurses have it easy compared to the whiney nurses.

So....on the question of what COUNTRY has a problem recruiting binmen, we have one company in Somerset (not a country) and one company in New York (not a country) and a vague number other companies.

Well done lads, stellar effort. Well done proving a point that you yourself made. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You've misquoted me too.

You know, you're dead right. We should pay doctors more.
    I'm sure you'll support them in their own pay claim which is coming up soon.

wrangler wrote: »
    That's nothing, I was told to get up and execise when I felt well enough after an op, so headed off on the corridors at 2am,
    I found the nurses at the Nurses Station trying on clothes for an event that was coming up :D ...you know what, it didn't do me a bit of harm, I didn't even sue

and then they keep telling us they're run off their feet and want more money, it's a total joke!

and then they keep telling us they're run off their feet and want more money, it's a total joke!

You're right lads.

One time a few nurses took a bit of a break, so 65,000 people are wrong, should suck it up and go back into dangerously overcrowded and understaffed hospitals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

animaal wrote: »
    Yes. I think though that their social policies scuppered them. Hard to tell numbers, but on Boards I saw very little discussion of their economic policies, and far more discussion around their social policies (more accurately the beliefs of the individual members).

Yes from what I recall they talked a lot about subjects like abortion

Maybe if a party came along on a platform of a bit more fiscal responsibilty people might be prepared to listen ? From what I can see we have no political party that wants to cut public spending

You know, you're dead right. We should pay doctors more.
    I'm sure you'll support them in their own pay claim which is coming up soon.

Yes I definitely will support the Doctors

But not them nurses

Place was quiet...I'm still grinning though :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I genuinely believe there are “some” nurses run off their feet and highly stressed. But this poor us narrative has taken over the whole debate for all nurses and it’s clearly not reality for all.

Yes I definitely will support the Doctors

But not them nurses

And the fact that doctors support the nurses pay claim doesn't seem ironic to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

road_high wrote: »
    Yes and I’ve said it’s anonymous where people can say what they actually think without the Rath of the populist mob. How hard is that to understand?

Very difficult to understand actually. You don't seem to realise that you can be anonymous on just about every form of social media. That's fine, just stop digging a hole is all.

I told you it is not possible to play Solitaire on the computer in a hospital. That is a fact. You however seem to think that if you label any old nonsense a fact that it actually becomes one. If you are a troll you are a very poor one. If you are a FG shill then the party is in big trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Varta wrote: »
    I told you it is not possible to play Solitaire on the computer in a hospital. That is a fact. You however seem to think that if you label any old nonsense a fact that it actually becomes one. If you are a troll you are a very poor one. If you are a FG shill then the party is in big trouble.

Why do you think FG won’t pay the nurses what they want?

So....on the question of what COUNTRY has a problem recruiting binmen, we have one company in Somerset (not a country) and one company in New York (not a country) and a vague number other companies.

Well done lads, stellar effort. Well done proving a point that you yourself made. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh sorry didnt think i would have to explain to you that Newyork is part of the USA(united states of america) which is a big country across the Atlantic which is a big ocean. Dismal attempt at a reply after i proved you wrong.

• Advertisement

Your degree is clearly not in English. In fact, your written English, to my mind, does not seem to be of a standard to warrant a degree in any subject.

Advertisement