Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surviving R.Kelly Docu-series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I have often thought this.

There are interesting questions though. Are such people attracted to the industry, does the industry somehow change "normal" people, or is it that we get to hear about these people more just because they are already in the public spotlight?

I suppose the same questions could be asked about the seemingly high proportion of religious orders involved in abuse.

Personally, I tend to feel that the unreal world of the entertainment industry affects those involved, they begin to believe they can act any way they want to without consequence and are surrounded by sycophants telling them whatever they want to hear. Again, similar in many ways to the religious orders, at least until very recently.

It also had something to do with the time. I was watching a Jimmy Saville documentary. There were women in the 90's who alleged that he abused them when they were teens. However if they went public then they would face a long libel case. Back then the only way for this sort of information to disseminate was through print media and you had no idea how you would fare. Now it's easy to make these allegations online and for others to quickly support them. I don't know if something like the weinstein expose would have been possible 20 years ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

8-10 wrote: »
    Nobody's saying he wasn't really stupid and incorrect in his behaviour and attitude. He definitely had a bizarre outlook.

But you're definitely adding 2 and 2 and getting 5 here. Being odd doesn't make you a child abuser. There's been no credible allegations of it from anyone either. The only 2 allegations I know of were the Jordy Chandler and Gavin Arviso ones which turned out to be money-grabbing nonsense fuelled by their crazy parents.
    Yeah the Jackson thing was odd. Even after he died none of the kids he hung around with accused him of abuse. Quite the opposite, a few outright said it was BS. I seem to recall one of them Feldman maybe? said that Jackson himself had been abused as a kid and he was actually trying to protect the kids he knew. Dunno about that, but you never know.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

Tip of the iceberg. Rappers have spotters to mark out girls in the crowd to get them backstage. God knows what goes on with the rappers and their hangers on. If any of them complained about anything non consensual, they would be social outcasts.

In other creepy rapper related stories:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/drake-millie-bobby-brown-texts-emmy-awards-stranger-things-a8545046.html

Yeah because it's exclusively rappers, don't whatever you do remember stories of David Bowie, Don Henley, Jimmy page , Marvin Gaye, Bill Wyman, Jerry Lee Lewis among many others having a tihng for underage groupies.

Don't whatever you do google the inspiration behind Neil Diamonds sweet Caroline, take of those rose tinted glasses you clearly haven't cleaned since the 70s.

I can't believe i'd actually taken the bait and replied to post in this cesspool of a sub forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Apt name.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've grown up listening to Soul/RnB and was a fan of Aaliyah, so I knew all about the marriage underage shenanigans back then.

Then over the years more and more stuff would come out about him.

Am I shocked about what I'm hearing about from the documentary (without watching yet), no. I'm more shocked about the volume of stories coming out.

He's doing his best at the moment to start legal action against everyone involved in the documentary.
    Plus there are a number of high profile musicians coming out about how they were approached but refused to take part in the series.

• Advertisement

Anyone who hasn't seen it, I recommend Dave Chappelle's "Piss on You".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Am I shocked about what I'm hearing about from the documentary (without watching yet), no. I'm more shocked about the volume of stories coming out.

Exactly. I remember hearing stuff about him in early 2000s and the piss tape.

I've watched 3 eps of this and didn't know there were so many allegations. Curious to watch the next episode now to see how the hell he got off in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

tossy wrote: »
    Yeah because it's exclusively rappers, don't whatever you do remember stories of David Bowie, Don Henley, Jimmy page , Marvin Gaye, Bill Wyman, Jerry Lee Lewis among many others having a tihng for underage groupies.

Don't whatever you do google the inspiration behind Neil Diamonds sweet Caroline, take of those rose tinted glasses you clearly haven't cleaned since the 70s.

I can't believe i'd actually taken the bait and replied to post in this cesspool of a sub forum :D

I don't think he was saying that it's only rap music where this is prevalent?! :confused:
    You can make one point without having to make all of the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

tossy wrote: »

:confused::confused:

I'd never heard the story so I looked it up just there - he says he was writing a song about his wife, but he couldn't get her name (Marsha) to rhyme. So he needed to substitute in a 3 syllable name when a story came on the news about JFK and they mentioned his daughter Caroline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

There's nothing wrong with what Drake is doing people just love to get outraged at anything and everything.

if a 31 yr old man was texting your 14 yr old daughter ????

if it were my daughter, id be paying him a visit, with my best friend , the Hurley .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement

Tip of the iceberg. Rappers have spotters to mark out girls in the crowd to get them backstage. God knows what goes on with the rappers and their hangers on. If any of them complained about anything non consensual, they would be social outcasts.

In other creepy rapper related stories:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/drake-millie-bobby-brown-texts-emmy-awards-stranger-things-a8545046.html

the 2 no brains cnuts interviewing her thought it was hilarious !!! :confused: are paedos/groomers acceptable nowadays ?? :mad: :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Didn't he have kidney issues?

No, 'Kiddie', clean your ears out. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I have often thought this.

There are interesting questions though. Are such people attracted to the industry, does the industry somehow change "normal" people, or is it that we get to hear about these people more just because they are already in the public spotlight?

I suppose the same questions could be asked about the seemingly high proportion of religious orders involved in abuse.

Personally, I tend to feel that the unreal world of the entertainment industry affects those involved, they begin to believe they can act any way they want to without consequence and are surrounded by sycophants telling them whatever they want to hear. Again, similar in many ways to the religious orders, at least until very recently.

I'd say there's no more or less, just easier if you're famous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭woddensanta

It amazes me the crap these "stars" do, basically raping children, taking woman as sex slaves, abuse etc etc etc yet which star has really went beyond the pail, who crossed the line and now must be destroyed? And what was the terrible thing he did? The thing that got the most news time and debate? That would be kanye west saying it's ok for black people to vote for anyone other than the democrats. What a world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭randd1

It amazes me the crap these "stars" do, basically raping children, taking woman as sex slaves, abuse etc etc etc yet which star has really went beyond the pail, who crossed the line and now must be destroyed? And what was the terrible thing he did? The thing that got the most news time and debate? That would be kanye west saying it's ok for black people to vote for anyone other than the democrats. What a world.

Almost as big a reaction as Matt Damon saying that a pat on the bum is not as bad as being raped at the height of the #metoo movement last year.

TV shows practically blacklisted him for it, despite it being just basic common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Hoboo wrote: »
    Few names being mentioned above. David Bowie was another one, yet people still idolise him. Amount of times I've heard the line 'things were different then' when you mention his 14 year old gf (and her friend) when he was in his late 20's. He was a nonce, end of.

Yeah, he's one that really got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Hoboo wrote: »
    Few names being mentioned above. David Bowie was another one, yet people still idolise him. Amount of times I've heard the line 'things were different then' when you mention his 14 year old gf (and her friend) when he was in his late 20's. He was a nonce, end of.

Nope. It's fine you see, Bowie was and still is a hero to the progressive movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

There's nothing wrong with what Drake is doing people just love to get outraged at anything and everything.

If you had a 13 year old daughter how would you feel about her 31 year old male friend texting her 'i miss you so much'?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Not having sex with one child doesn't prove Michael Jackson wasn't a paedophile. It would be a stroke of genius to hang around with a famous child and not abuse him so if the truth ever came out there would be at least one person to defend him.

I have no idea how people can believe that a grown man who built a Disneyland style amusement park at his house, gave alcohol to children and then slept in the same bed as them wasn't a child abuser. If an average person, and not someone who had recorded Thriller, did this no one in their right mind would believe him.

No one in their right mind does!

I honestly don't know if he was a paedo or not, but he was certainly an odd ball - there's no way any kid of mine was staying in his house.

I just can't understand the type of scumbag who will prioritise money over their kids wellbeing. I love aerosmith, but if Steven Tyler offered to buy my under age daughter in the seventies, I'd still be kicking him now!

Seriously wtf is wrong with some people. What kind of mindset thinks "well you're famous, so if you want to abuse my kids that's fine by me" Jesus Christ:mad:

wakka12 wrote: »
    If you had a 13 year old daughter how would you feel about her 31 year old male friend texting her 'i miss you so much'?

I'd be thinking, what's Uncle Slippyfist up to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

wakka12 wrote: »

Going by their previous posts it’s that poster who would be texting the minors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

I’ve posted this in the Weinstein thread also, I see Lady Gaga has disowned her 2013 collaboration with R Kelly!! 2013?!?!? There have been allegations and rumours (almost an open secret) against Kelly for at least a couple of decades. Sure he even married the underage Aaliyah. How is that Gaga is only now condemning him??

It all seems a bit like the odious Meryl Streep instigating a standing ovation for Polanski at the Oscars when full in the knowledge of his convictions to only now, in the current #metoo climate, decide that she’s not that fond of him after all.

Hypocritical scum, the lot of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Is this on Sky? How do I watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I’ve posted this in the Weinstein thread also, I see Lady Gaga has disowned her 2013 collaboration with R Kelly!! 2013?!?!? There have been allegations and rumours (almost an open secret) against Kelly for at least a couple of decades. Sure he even married the underage Aaliyah. How is that Gaga is only now condemning him??
    I remember that song.

Look at the cover for the single. It's a picture of Lady Gaga's arse taken by this guy. The song repeats the lyric "Do what you want with my body" throughout. At the time, it was supposed to be a statement about overcoming absue, it's a PR disaster for her now.

I remember that song.

Look at the cover for the single. It's a picture of Lady Gaga's arse taken by this guy. The song repeats the lyric "Do what you want with my body" throughout. At the time, it was supposed to be a statement about overcoming absue, it's a PR disaster for her now.

this gives you an idea of how disingenuous and conditioned these people are to spouting platitudes to an audience or listener, for the purpose of seeming sincere...absolute scum really! face value??? which face will you wear today Gaga??? well depends on the crowd now john!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRxsX_30tjs

rusty cole wrote: »
    this gives you an idea of how disingenuous and conditioned these people are to spouting platitudes to an audience or listener, for the purpose of seeming sincere...absolute scum really! face value??? which face will you wear today Gaga??? well depends on the crowd now john!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRxsX_30tjs

WT-absolute-F ?!?!?! :eek:

Gaga - There could be 100 people.....
    Cooper - oh here we go again .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

It all seems a bit like the odious Meryl Streep instigating a standing ovation for Polanski at the Oscars when full in the knowledge of his convictions to only now, in the current #metoo climate, decide that she’s not that fond of him after all.

Couldn't agree more, nothing more than careerists and disingenuous arseholes.

Really is amazing how strong the herd mentality is for people. So many things that were out in the open, and reasonably well known, and pass by pretty much without incident, only for them to be re-examined and enter the crosshairs of the self-appointed social arbitrators and become "new" scandals.

The same people who are so disgusted at R Kelly after watching a documentary are mostly the same people who knew about this for donkeys years and barely batted an eyelid. Now that the subject becomes topical again it becomes time for a purge, it's total bollox. R Kelly and his predilection for girls in their mid-teens has been well known for the guts of 20 years, and not just in the US, pretty much wherever he had any sort of profile, which was almost everywhere. It looked like threatening his career, but then it entered into the realm of quasi-slapstick, almost banter, and his career carried on.

In the last few weeks alone we have seen Louis CK and Ricky Gervais feel the wrath of the Twitterati idiots over something they said in a televised chat about 8 years ago, and Kevin Hart have some tweet dug up from a similar time ago, thus losing the Oscars gig. Plus calls for "problematic" Christmas songs to be banned, songs that aren't exactly fresh hits.

Pretty easy to get people onboard the outrage train too, or any other cause for that matter. Just have some well known person throw out a suggestion that something might be offensive or that somebody is not a good guy and hey presto....."off to the gulags with you". There's also a tendency for people to watch a documentary and swallow up the narrative hook, line & sinker. People rarely do more than scratch the surface of what's put in front of them. This isn't a defence of R Kelly by any means, more a sense of preferring people to engage their brain when it comes to these stories.

I think it's high-time we have some sort of statute of limitations on publicly known information. Said something on twitter 10 years ago? Not admissible, carry on.

I'm not talking about something genuinely fresh, even those where there might have been a degree of rumour, such as Jimmy Savile or Kevin Spacey.

By all means throw out your copy of "I Believe I Can Fly", but don't do it because it has become fashionable to do so. If you knew yesterday pretty much what you know today then you're not doing it for moral reasons, you're doing it for group membership and social kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Been watching this nearly through it, he's one sick puppy. Physically and sexually abusive, manipulative, God like complex, paedophile.

All the stories as harrowing as they are and I don't doubt them for a second aren't enough to put him away. It's what you can prove beyond doubt. How he walked on that tape indictment is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Gaga is a corporate whore. She was happy to overlook his “habits” in order to use his name to sell records. Then she condemns him when it blows up. Gimme a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MadYaker wrote: »
    Gaga is a corporate whore. She was happy to overlook his “habits” in order to use his name to sell records. Then she condemns him when it blows up. Gimme a break.

They all did. The notion that she didn't know about this stuff is ridiculous. Her manager, her PR people would of all told her about the allegations and suspicions within the industry. I'm sure there are plenty too who flat out wouldn't work with him.

Advertisement