Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas out of season 2019

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

washiskin wrote: »
    Technically not Christmas, Mr. Price in Ashbourne have off-white mugs with snowflakes on them for 99c.

It counts! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Technically not Christmas, Mr. Price in Ashbourne have off-white mugs with snowflakes on them for 99c.

I live in Ashbourne too washiskin, Happy Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I live in Ashbourne too washiskin, Happy Christmas :D

Get in quick so, before I have them all bought! :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,125 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Heard the advert for Santa Express at Palmerstown House on the radio whilst on my way to a meeting this morning. I vaguely remember hearing it this time last year as well.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Dealz in Drogheda earlier.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Dealz in Drogheda earlier.....

Its really starting in earnest now. Seeing/hearing Christmas related things on a regular bases now.

When does the 'out of season' period end (for regular folk, not us Christmas junkies!)?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TRS30 wrote: »
    Its really starting in earnest now. Seeing/hearing Christmas related things on a regular bases now.

When does the 'out of season' period end (for regular folk, not us Christmas junkies!)?

I think the social media age, made it acceptable to celebrate Christmas Season from Nov 1st to Dec 26th. It dies a death very quickly after Dec 26th tho :(

So I do feel even for the normies that Nov 1st we are no longer out of season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Loughc wrote: »
    It dies a death very quickly after Dec 26th tho :(

This bugs me so much! I asked my sister in law once on Dec 27th if her kids would like water or cordial and she replied "water, Christmas is over" :eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

What's wrong with hanging on until Jan 2nd at least? I literally cling to it with all my might!

I think the social media age, made it acceptable to celebrate Christmas Season from Nov 1st to Dec 26th. It dies a death very quickly after Dec 26th tho :(

So I do feel even for the normies that Nov 1st we are no longer out of season.

True, I hate the way Christmas is 'over' after St.Stephen's day and its all about New Years. Maybe I'm just bias as New Years is not a big deal for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Went to Johnnie Foxes last week and was pleasantly surprised to pass a Christmas Tree farm on the way :D

• Advertisement

CheerLouth wrote: »
    This bugs me so much! I asked my sister in law once on Dec 27th if her kids would like water or cordial and she replied "water, Christmas is over" :eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

What's wrong with hanging on until Jan 2nd at least? I literally cling to it with all my might!

Here. Here. Lets start a petition to keep Christmas till at least 2nd Jan :D

Here. Here. Lets start a petition to keep Christmas till at least 2nd Jan :D

Jan 6th or bust lads :pac: :P

Always a bug bear of mine that Christmas nowadays appears to end at the stroke of midnight on the 25th. Even the crimbo music on the radio stops & we're back into regular stuff. Always loved as a child & growing up how the christmas 'event' lasted up at least until new years day/Jan 2nd. Nowadays it seems to start earlier & end earlier too, theres definitely been a 'shifting' of sorts.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Always a bug bear of mine that Christmas nowadays appears to end at the stroke of midnight on the 25th. Even the crimbo music on the radio stops & we're back into regular stuff. Always loved as a child & growing up how the christmas 'event' lasted up at least until new years day/Jan 2nd. Nowadays it seems to start earlier & end earlier too, theres definitely been a 'shifting' of sorts.

I think it's because it starts earlier that people are keen to see it end asap. :(

Pretty sure Christmas didn't really get started until around the 3rd week in November when I was a child and we were not allowed to go into Navan on shopping day from the start of November until Christmas Eve in case we asked Santy for something different to what we had on the list.

Also, I saw the Christmas at Centre Parcs ad last night. It looks magical, if the ad is to be believed. Small print said children from €18 iirc but I presume that's to see Santy only. I suppose it would be a nice, but not necessarily cheaper, alternative to Lapland.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Chistmas is an never ending story here
    christmastree still up in a unused bedroom
    Directly at the first of November goes it to the living and the small one to the kitchen dinning
    Some decorations around it and it stays that way until the 7th of January
    Building up and clearing is done within 3 hours

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I think it's because it starts earlier that people are keen to see it end asap. :(

Pretty sure Christmas didn't really get started until around the 3rd week in November when I was a child and we were not allowed to go into Navan on shopping day from the start of November until Christmas Eve in case we asked Santy for something different to what we had on the list.

Also, I saw the Christmas at Centre Parcs ad last night. It looks magical, if the ad is to be believed. Small print said children from €18 iirc but I presume that's to see Santy only. I suppose it would be a nice, but not necessarily cheaper, alternative to Lapland.

I'd agree with this, when the advertising etc starts so early some people are keen to see the back of it. It ruins it for some that it is so drawn out over the year. Not for anyone in here obviously :pac: but I can understand that it dilutes the whole occasion for some people.

I'm pretty sure we only ever got a tree (real) a week before Christmas and one year when my dad was very busy with work* we didn't get a tree until Christmas Eve :eek:

*I think they just didn't have very much money to spare and he could get it at a discount on Christmas Eve.

Not a million miles different for us, I remember the tree going up about a week before christmas generally & remember it being a really big deal the year we started putting it up 2 weeks before, not a chance would we have had it up earlier than then.

miamee wrote: »
    I'd agree with this, when the advertising etc starts so early some people are keen to see the back of it. It ruins it for some that it is so drawn out over the year. Not for anyone in here obviously :pac: but I can understand that it dilutes the whole occasion for some people.

But the frustrating thing is the same people that box Christmas up at December 26th are the ones parading it around November 1st, maybe wait a week or 2 at the start and keep it going for New Years at least.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

For me, it's over December 30th, when I have to go back to work. And there's silence instead of Christmas FM on my commute. :(

But, the decorations stay up until 6th January- I'm not mad, like! :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    For me, it's over December 30th, when I have to go back to work. And there's silence instead of Christmas FM on my commute. :(

Depending on how annual leave pans outs, I'm going to try and stretch it this year till 5th Jan. The later you go the sooner it is till the following Christmas :)

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »

New Years Day is the end for us, usually because we're back in work the next day. Hard to keep the jovial feeling when back in work in miserable January.

I (like everyone else in here) enjoy the build up immensely, especially so from Nov.1st when the adverts start, decorations up the toy show weekend & we're off, but we havent ever kept the decorations up until the 6th Jan, just cant face having them up when back in work.

edit. Just copped I'll not be heading back to work until the 6th, am taking 2 full weeks off (I did the same last year & loved the extra long break). The Mrs is back on the 2nd though so the tree & decorations will still come down as usual on NYD or I'll take them down with the kids on the 2nd Jan

New Years Day is the end for us, usually because we're back in work the next day. Hard to keep the jovial feeling when back in work in miserable January.

I (like everyone else in here) enjoy the build up immensely, especially so from Nov.1st when the adverts start, decorations up the toy show weekend & we're off, but we havent ever kept the decorations up until the 6th Jan, just cant face having them up when back in work.

I'm the opposite I'm back to work on the 2nd which is a Thursday I love leaving the decorations up, it gives me some cheer for when I'm coming home from work in the evening. It helps beat the miserable January feeling for as long as possible.

I'll take then down the 5th that Sunday as there's no way I could face into it on a Monday evening after work and a full week of work ahead!! :(

I'll take then down the 5th that Sunday as there's no way I could face into it on a Monday evening after work and a full week of work ahead!! :(

I can see your point on leaving them up and wish I could take the same level of enjoyment from them that first few days of January, but I find the best way to help avoid my post christmas blues is to throw myself into accepting that christmas is over for another few months & just look ahead with as as positive an outlook as I can. The fact my Mrs prefers to get them down & give the house a good clean to start off the new year doesnt help either:)

Anyway, enough chat about it being over, we've still all the build up to come yet!!;)

Anyway, enough chat about it being over, we've still all the build up to come yet!!;)

VERY true the best is yet to come ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm a firm believer that Christmas is celebrated until the 6th of January.
    We've a traditional where you light the Christmas candle for the twelve days of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I never touch a decoration until 7th of Jan. All day the 6th is still part of Christmas!! It takes me a few evenings to get the decs down and boxed off, but there is no rush.

I'm often back to work the 27th/28th, so I couldn't face that without the thoughts of my lovely Christmas decs to welcome me back home. In fact, I prefer the relaxing days after Christmas than the panic in the lead-up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

One of my neighbours gets a full 2 months out of their decorations, tree goes up 15th of Nov and stays up till 15th Jan, they certainly get their monies worth!
    As others have said and I totally agree, I hate the fact Christmas is over on the radio, telly and the shops on the evening of the 25th.
    The shops are practically putting Easter eggs on the shelves on the 26th of Dec.

Another conundrum I have is when to start saying Happy Christmas to people. I think I might have started a bit early last year (mid/late Nov) and got a few odd looks and some outright hostility (didn't stop me though). Its easy if I meet someone I know and wouldn't be seeing them again till the following years so it's more people I don't know, cashiers, people working in shops etc.

Another conundrum I have is when to start saying Happy Christmas to people. I think I might have started a bit early last year (mid/late Nov) and got a few odd looks and some outright hostility (didn't stop me though). Its easy if I meet someone I know and wouldn't be seeing them again till the following years so it's more people I don't know, cashiers, people working in shops etc.

I think I start saying it to everybody on the day I finish up work for christmas as thats the day my christmas buzz goes into overdrive, but would start saying it at work meetings with clients or contractors about a week or so before as i'd be unlikely to see them again before the break.

• Advertisement

I think I start saying it to everybody on the day I finish up work for christmas as thats the day my christmas buzz goes into overdrive, but would start saying it at work meetings with clients or contractors about a week or so before as i'd be unlikely to see them again before the break.

Yeah same. The last day before the Christmas Holidays in work is literally like the last day of school the excitement is about the same haha.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement