Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 yr/old drag kid worshiped within LGBTQ community (Mod warning op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

So why the need to do it in drag?

Because it was an event the library was running in association with Dublin Pride week as far as I'm aware.

There is a storytime event with no drag involved offered across all DLR libraries, if this is what you'd prefer:

https://libraries.dlrcoco.ie/events-and-news/library-services-for-the-young/storytime

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sesame street is children's entertainment, Glitter Hole is not. Why are these men dressing as women? It's certainly not for the benefit of the children. 5 year old children don't need to know that men go around dressed in women's clothes.
    Believe it or not, it is possible for acts to alter their shows to be appropriate for different audiences.

The same way that Holly Willoughby can present family-friendly and wholesome programmes, while also taking part in Celebrity Juice.

And the same way that the Jim Henson company have produced some of the most iconic children's programming of the last 50 years, and some of the filthiest, raunchiest adult shows at the same time.

Why doesn't it make you uncomfortable that the same people who produce "The Happytime Murders" also produce Sesame Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just scrap the entire idea

Let the “fierce” drag queens “slay” at their nightclubs etc for over 18s

Let the kids be entertained by age appropriate story tellers who are garda vetted

Everyone happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Jester232

seamus wrote: »
    Why does anyone ever wear costumes?

Why do dancers wear flamboyant clothing? Why does Sesame Street have puppets telling stories instead of some dour guy in a cardigan reading from a book?

Why is a man in a dress such an issue, when literally any other children's performance in a costume is not?

Why does anyone wear costumes? To make fantasy into a reality I guess. A man dressing up as a pirate brings the pirate to life. You don't need a fantasy to have a man dressed as a woman, just get a woman!!!

You don't see any women dressing as Santa Clause do you??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I'm sorry, Im sure their intent is to entertain the kids but glitter hole have made a rod for their own back here on this one.

Its not exactly a great logo for childrens entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jester232 wrote: »
    You don't see any women dressing as Santa Clause do you??
    Well yes, but not in an age-appropriate way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

That bum looks lovely. I am pretty sure they won't be bringing their adult facing marketing materials with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Well, when you see how Glitter Hole advertise themselves, you can see why people don't think that it's very 'Shirley Temple Bar'.

But what's their kid-reading show thingy like?

I would be surprised if the library reading would be anything like an innuendo-filled drag show.

If it's just some guys dressing in panto garb reading stories, I don't see the problem. Men in drag and other costumes has been part of kids' entertainment since forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

This is all about promoting sexuality to kids getting thrm onside at a young age otherwise they would just turn up in plain clothes and read the story like anyone else would.

Ireland has opened the doors for Liberal politics and agendas to run wild it's all stacked in there favour now.

This kinda crap wouldn't of seen the light of day not that long ago but sure that's "progression" right there boys and girls.

This is all about promoting sexuality to kids getting thrm onside at a young age otherwise they would just turn up in plain clothes and read the story like anyone else would.

Barney and Bigbird would like a word.

• Advertisement

But what's their kid-reading show thingy like?

I would be surprised if the library reading would be anything like an innuendo-filled drag show.

If it's just some guys dressing in panto garb reading stories, I don't see the problem. Men in drag and other costumes has been part of kids' entertainment since forever.

Why are you so sure of what the show will consist of?

It appears these ppl are not garda vetted.

Had they pre agreed their performance with anyone in DL library ? What did it consist of?

Potentially such groups as “glitter Hole” use events like this to “protest” and be as provocative and shocking as possible -challenge the “heteronormative fascists” etc etc. all that stuff.

Thankfully sane heads prevailed and any opportunity for such protest was rightfully closed off.

I’ve no problem with them protesting in adult locations by the way. The issue is child safety

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

You must of been watching whole other type of kids shows to rest of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

if it was Dissident republicans or a bunch of Christian Brothers at this lark, no one would be going "ah lads, it doesn't matter what they are, they're just reading some kids stories"

Yeah, it does matter what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Seamus, when you say "it's homophobia, end of", you are resorting to the same tactics that someone who is trolling would resort to. Because (i) You know it's not true, and (ii) It's to wind people up.

Now sure, people who are homophobic will of course take issue with the proposed event, but then there is the rest of us, who just take issue with an adults-only act (with sexually explicit elements also on their social media pages) giving a talk to very young children - whether gay or straight. It's absurd.

I don't expect you to respond though, as this post is not in keeping with your "You're just homophobes" approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Why would a group called Glitter Hole with an ar5e for a logo expect that people wouldn't be concerned about their kids being exposed to their material?

Why the name Glitter Hole? Seriously why is there a need to sexualise everything with in relation to gay people?
    I thought we'd reached a place where gay people are accepted as part of Irish society (and rightly so) and not some caricatures that reinforce notions of what being gay means for every gay person?
    Any gay people I know are just normal humans who happen to be gay, Glitter Hole look like hyper gay beings that happen to be human. The whole thing is bizarre, we don't need to normalise gay culture in Ireland, being gay is already normal.

Glitter Hole are welcome to enjoy their drag performances as are all sections of society but our kids don't need to be told to accept LGBT people, we already accept them, the toothpaste is already out of the tube.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

nullzero wrote: »
    Why would a group called Glitter Hole with an ar5e for a logo expect that people wouldn't be concerned about their kids being exposed to their material?

Why the name Glitter Hole? Seriously why is there a need to sexualise everything with in relation to gay people?
    I thought we'd reached a place where gay people are accepted as part of Irish society (and rightly so) and not some caricatures that reinforce notions of what being gay means for every gay person?
    Any gay people I know are just normal humans who happen to be gay, Glitter Hole look like hyper gay beings that happen to be human. The whole thing is bizarre, we don't need to normalise gay culture in Ireland, being gay is already normal.

Glitter Hole are welcome to enjoy their drag performances as are all sections of society but our kids don't need to be told to accept LGBT people, we already accept them, the toothpaste is already out of the tube.

It's pretty gas to be honest. Kind of reminds me of this satirical article from the Onion:

https://www.theonion.com/gay-pride-parade-sets-mainstream-acceptance-of-gays-bac-1819566014

"Among the parade sights and sounds that did inestimable harm to the gay-rights cause: a group of obese women in leather biker outfits passing out clitoris-shaped lollipops to horrified onlookers; several Hispanic dancers in rainbow wigs and miniskirts performing "humping" motions on a mannequin dressed as the Pope; and a dozen gyrating drag queens in see-through dresses holding penis-shaped beer bottles that appeared to spurt ejaculation-like foam when shaken and poured onto passersby."

Had they pre agreed their performance with anyone in DL library ? What did it consist of?

Potentially such groups as “glitter Hole” use events like this to “protest” and be as provocative and shocking as possible -challenge the “heteronormative fascists” etc etc. all that stuff.

Thankfully sane heads prevailed and any opportunity for such protest was rightfully closed off.

I’ve no problem with them protesting in adult locations by the way. The issue is child safety

I don't know what exactly this event consists of so I'm assuming it's like similar such events where people in costumes read to children. It would be silly of them in the age of smart-phones to go full-on Drag Race when a single inappropriate quip would be done to death on Joe Duffy the next day. I doubt that the library would allow a show that was going to cause them problems.

Regarding Garda vetting, I need to be vetted to help train my GAA club's youth teams but I've never needed it to perform panto for children. I presume that men don't need to be vetted when they are in any public space with kids.

The speculation on protesting is just that. Anyone can speculate just about anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Lux23 wrote: »
    That bum looks lovely. I am pretty sure they won't be bringing their adult facing marketing materials with them.

Damn right they won't. They won't be getting the chance.

I don't think we know if they were garda vetted or not so that's an assumption. I imagine they would be at a event in a public library. If the council are not vetting people who organise events for kids at the library, that is a far bigger issue than this one event. You should follow up on this immediately in the interest of child safety as this would be a major oversight on the part of the council - as you appear to have a source which is saying they weren't vetted.

Yes, they obviously had agreed the event & performance with the library - it was scheduled on the library website.

I don't know why you would think they would protest in a provocative and shocking fashion at a children's event. I don't understand the basis you have for thinking this.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

If I walked into an bar/nightclub and seen an 11 year old, I’d walk out. Disgusting, the idea that gay culture is about sexualising everything is evident with men wearing leather and chains at pride parades

Get a grip lads, be gay but stop that stuff, makes it tough to take the community serious

• Advertisement

If groups like glitter hole wish to protest -fine go for it but in appropriate venues and where the protest can be appropriately cordoned off/policed safely

Not at a children’s story telling event in a library ffs have some cop on

If groups like glitter hole wish to protest -fine go for it but in appropriate venues and where the protest can be appropriately cordoned off/policed safely

Not at a children’s story telling event in a library ffs have some cop on

What protest?

What protest?

I said “if” ! !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Get your fvkcing heads out of your fvcking arses and stop letting racists and bigots tell you what to think.

In an alternate reality there’s a Seamus saying “get your heads out of your arses and stop letting liberals and lefties tell you what’s acceptable for your own kids”

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Seriously, can someone explain what they think would happen here? It's story telling. Do they honestly believe there'd be some sort of social commentary? That the group would bring their adult material to this? Do you really think they can't adapt their act?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

As would the Teletubbies, Captain Pugeash and Mrs. Doubtfire.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Would they have changed their logo had they gotten the library gig?

Can people who pretend not to see the issue maybe consider the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

"Probably". You don't seem to care that much even though they spend more time around kids than this act.

This is not legally the case, and is completely unnecessary in practical terms.

Should I be Garda vetted because my kids friends come over to play every now and again?

If I go into a school to talk about my work, should I be Garda vetted?

Of course not. And you'd never demand it either. Because I'm not a moral contagion, I'm not a man in drag who might poison children's minds.

Stop trying to convince yourself that you're thinking about children's welfare, Helen. Because you're not. You're making up rules that suit your moral standpoint and then convincing yourself that they're based on logic, not fear.

Probably = Im not sure its a fact, but i reckon you know this. I do know LA staff whose work brings them into contact with kids, undergo some process

Your cavalier regard for the welfare of children and their parents , grounding your arguments in "well its not required" really does speak volumes.

You dont need to be Garda vetted if you are in contact with kids in your own home, but I wouldnt leave a dog with someone like you, much less leave you near a kid, and i seriously doubt you have them.

Would they have changed their logo had they gotten the library gig?

Can people who pretend not to see the issue maybe consider the above?

Often the idea is to be as “provocative” as possible.

They don’t get the irony that the vast majority of ppl find it boring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ixoy wrote: »
    Seriously, can someone explain what they think would happen here? It's story telling. Do they honestly believe there'd be some sort of social commentary? That the group would bring their adult material to this? Do you really think they can't adapt their act?

This was posted in order to answer that.

Not sure on what basis they assume that's what would have happened, but as I said: I think most of the con arguments are based specifically on Glitter Hole as opposed to the idea of drag in general, but think they're in far too deep (no pun intended) to change their minds now without losing face.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement