Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 yr/old drag kid worshiped within LGBTQ community (Mod warning op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Those librarians are probably vetted.
    "Probably". You don't seem to care that much even though they spend more time around kids than this act.
    Anyone around other peoples children should be vetted.
    This is not legally the case, and is completely unnecessary in practical terms.

Should I be Garda vetted because my kids friends come over to play every now and again?

If I go into a school to talk about my work, should I be Garda vetted?

Of course not. And you'd never demand it either. Because I'm not a moral contagion, I'm not a man in drag who might poison children's minds.

Stop trying to convince yourself that you're thinking about children's welfare, Helen. Because you're not. You're making up rules that suit your moral standpoint and then convincing yourself that they're based on logic, not fear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

seamus wrote: »
    "Probably". You don't seem to care that much even though they spend more time around kids than this act.

This is not legally the case, and is completely unnecessary in practical terms.

Should I be Garda vetted because my kids friends come over to play every now and again?

If I go into a school to talk about my work, should I be Garda vetted?

Of course not. And you'd never demand it either. Because I'm not a moral contagion, I'm not a man in drag who might poison children's minds.

Stop trying to convince yourself that you're thinking about children's welfare, Helen. Because you're not. You're making up rules that suit your moral standpoint.

If you dress in drag when your children's friends come around to your house then yes you should be Garda vetted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Well it is. Because nobody else going into a library for a children's event would be asked if they're Garda vetted.

But apparently because they're gay, it's important that they be asked about Garda vetting.

It's homophobia, plain and simple.

If that was a woman going in to do story time in a library, she wouldn't be asked if she was Garda vetted. And you wouldn't be banging on about it.

Why is that? Have a wee think there about why you keep banging this "vetted" drum.

No it's not because they're gay, it's because they are dressed up in drag !
    WTF is the point in them being dressed up in drag when reading a story to kids ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

As usual the whole situation is unnecessary and doest benefit any child who would of been there.

This is the part I just don't get.

You often see things like this, performers coming to various places in costume and reading to kids / entertaining kids. I stopped for a while at one such event in Tesco a while back - there was a man and a woman dressed as pirates, singing songs and so on. That's fine.

Dressed as crack whores and twerking - not so much.

Now I don't care if you want to dress as a crack whore and twerk, I don't even care if you are an actual real life twerking crack whore. I just don't want you around my kids.

And anyone who has a problem with that, can just go and fúck themselves. If you want to call me a homophobe, then call away - you'd be 100% wrong, but don't let that stop you!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Well it is. Because nobody else going into a library for a children's event would be asked if they're Garda vetted.

But apparently because they're gay, it's important that they be asked about Garda vetting.

It's homophobia, plain and simple.

If that was a woman going in to do story time in a library, she wouldn't be asked if she was Garda vetted. And you wouldn't be banging on about it.

Why is that? Have a wee think there about why you keep banging this "vetted" drum.

WTF is the point in them being dressed up in drag when reading a story to kids ?
    WTF was the point of Shirley Temple Bar presenting Telly Bingo? Would you prevent your children watching because Shirley was presenting instead of Declan?

Shirley had an act in The George. It wasn't family friendly. Yet she was quite capable of being Shirley and presenting Telly Bingo without offending anyone but making us smile all the same.

• Advertisement

What's the point in using puppets to tell a story?

What's the point in a women dressing up in a costume to tell a story?

What's the point in telling a story using ice skaters in costume?

What's the point in someone standing on a stage pretending to be someone else and playing out a story as if they're in it?

It's entertainment. Whimsy. Comedy. Like human beings have been doing as long as we've been able to talk.

Children go to shows all the time where people wear suits and pretend to be animals. Old men dress up in bright red suits and pretend that they break into children's homes and leave presents behind. Cartoons portray fantastical universes where horses can talk, fly and do magic.

But no no, a couple of men dressed up as women. That's crossing a line.

FFS. This is taking preciousness to a whole new level. If drag makes you uncomfortable, that's your problem.

Don't pass your bigotry onto your children.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

nihilists.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Children go to shows all the time where people wear suits and pretend to be animals. Old men dress up in bright red suits and pretend that they break into children's homes and leave presents behind. Cartoons portray fantastical universes where horses can talk, fly and do magic.

Exactly and as there's no hidden or age inappropriate agenda being pushed you'll find the vast vast majority of parents won't bat an eyelid.

Just the crazies will go nuts at that one.
    But no no, a couple of men dressed up as women. That's crossing a line.

Eh no. Men having been dressing as women in pantos for many years without any issues at all so that argument doesn't stand up at all.
    FFS. This is taking preciousness to a whole new level. If drag makes you uncomfortable, that's your problem.

Context is everything. You're clearly missing (or choosing to miss) it in this case.

Think humanity is entering the Sodom and Gomorrah stage.
    If we don't pull things back humanity is fecked.
    Blokes in a dress teaching children about sex, what could go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Think humanity is entering the Sodom and Gomorrah stage.
    If we don't pull things back humanity is fecked.
    Blokes in a dress teaching children about sex, what could go wrong
    Where's that happening?

• Advertisement

Rennaws wrote: »
    Eh no. Men having been dressing as women in pantos for many years without any issues at all so that argument doesn't stand up at all.
    Exactly.

So men dressing up as women reading children's stories to children, is a non-issue.

There's a group of posters here who have decided that these guys are going to rock up in fishnet stockings and start twerking in the kids' faces while discussing the finer points of rimjobs and anal sex.

And if anyone believes that, they're either stupid or malicious. Or both, I guess.

I mean just look at these pictures. Depraved stuff altogether. YOU CAN SEE HIS ANKLES MAUREEN!! WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

https://twitter.com/risi_pieces/status/1117939838366507008

Get your fvkcing heads out of your fvcking arses and stop letting racists and bigots tell you what to think.

I mean just look at these pictures. Depraved stuff altogether. YOU CAN SEE HIS ANKLES MAUREEN!! WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

https://twitter.com/risi_pieces/status/1117939838366507008

Get your fvkcing heads out of your fvcking arses and stop letting racists and bigots tell you what to think.
    I'd have two worries.
    First one obviously would be the men's motives?
    And secondly the attempted
    indoctrination of children is nothing short of grooming

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

In fairness the photo's do seem tame enough.

But why? I still just don't see the point?

What has this bloke wearing a dress added to the event? I can see the point of a pirate, or a bear or an alien or something, it's not like you see a pirate a bear or an alien everyday.
    It's different, it's memorable, it catches the attention.

I wouldn't think I've ever gone a day without seeing a woman!

And anyway, if I really wanted my kids to listen to fairytales being read by man in a frock, there's always the option of mass :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Jester232

If they want a woman reading a story, get a woman to read a story.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd have two worries.

Their motives could be just to entertain children? Do you question the motives of everyone who has any contact with kids? Or just certain groups.
    No idea what indoctrination is taking place given they're reading a story and not recreating A Clockwork Orange.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Jester232

ixoy wrote: »
    Their motives could be just to entertain children? Do you question the motives of everyone who has any contact with kids? Or just certain groups.
    No idea what indoctrination is taking place given they're reading a story and not recreating A Clockwork Orange.

What's supposed to be entertaining? A man dressed as a woman? Or a woman doing funny things?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

Jester232 wrote: »
    What's supposed to be entertaining? A man dressed as a woman? Or a woman doing funny things?

I think it was the story they were going to read to the kids that was going to be the entertaining part.

I think it was the story they were going to read to the kids that was going to be the entertaining part.

So why the need to do it in drag?

Why does anyone ever wear costumes?

Why do dancers wear flamboyant clothing? Why does Sesame Street have puppets telling stories instead of some dour guy in a cardigan reading from a book?

Why is a man in a dress such an issue, when literally any other children's performance in a costume is not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The event was to celebrate Pride Month. If it was just a bloke in a pair of jeans and a Man United jersey, the connection to Pride would be tenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ashes2014

I agree.

Also the name, glitter hole makes me deeply uncomfortable. Do what you want by all means, people but keep away from the children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Why do dancers wear flamboyant clothing? Why does Sesame Street have puppets telling stories instead of some dour guy in a cardigan reading from a book?

Why is a man in a dress such an issue, when literally any other children's performance in a costume is not?

Sesame street is children's entertainment, Glitter Hole is not. Why are these men dressing as women? It's certainly not for the benefit of the children. 5 year old children don't need to know that men go around dressed in women's clothes.

I'd have two worries.

What do you mean the men's motives? Are we to suspect every man that wants to work with children? Do you think the same thing about teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

ashes2014 wrote: »
    I agree.

Also the name, glitter hole makes me deeply uncomfortable. Do what you want by all means, people but keep away from the children.

Very much so. Time and a place folks

Sesame street is children's entertainment, Glitter Hole is not. Why are these men dressing as women? It's certainly not for the benefit of the children.

Probably to have sex with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That's the problem. People cant' tell the difference between an adult bulesque act and a pantomime costume. ANd when you tell them, you get labeled condescending becasue you disagree with people and try to point out that men in dresses have been entertaining kids every Christmas since Maureen Potter took to the Gaiety.

In fainress, though, I think a lot of the objections are to the specifci group rather than to the idea full stop, and I don't see homophobia as being an issue here: if the guys were straight, they's still find some reason to be overly concerned.

The irony of it is that the kids couldn't care less as long as the story's interesting.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

ashes2014 wrote: »
    I agree.

What makes you uncomfortable about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Because some people can't separate the entertainment from the provocative element. And we say we've turned away from the Cahtolic Church into an independent modern populace...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Lux23 wrote: »
    What makes you uncomfortable about it?

download-jpeg-2.jpgcomerica atm locations

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement