Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

J. Marston wrote:
    Either Meltzer is bullshítting (shocking...) or they're playing the Khans like a fiddle. Leaning towards the former.

Definitely. The first comment under that tweet says it all, surely he'd be scooping these names if he knew them, his profession is journalism after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Necro wrote: »
    Definitely. The first comment under that tweet says it all, surely he'd be scooping these names if he knew them, his profession is journalism after all.

Well I honestly think he’s on the payroll to so keeping things close to his chest only releasing the news they want

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

If his co-host hasn't heard of them I assume 99.9% of wrestling fans haven't of them either. Maybe its the OWE guys trained by CIMA, etc. :confused:
    I took a browse on Wikipedia & not one have a wiki page or real name. I heard of the trainers but none of the Chinese talent.
    It's hard to find/sign anyone unknown as Mexican, Japanese and European wrestling is very accessible now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Necro wrote: »

It's not at all uncommon for journalists to be told things off the record, and sit on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

As long as Billy Corgan doesn't get involved I think they might be ok.

Personally would like to see the NWA belt defended in AEW PPVs

Monokne wrote:
    It's not at all uncommon for journalists to be told things off the record, and sit on them.

True, but it's Meltzer. Guy can't keep his yap shut about anything WWE related and what their plans are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Tony Khan was on talk is Jericho this week. Good listen he seems very knowledgable.

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1095731800666763264?s=19

Double or Nothing sold out very fast.
    They'd be dumb not to run a bigger arena later in the year. I do wonder post Jericho vs Omega what they have lined up for the latter as he seems to be a far bigger solo star than anyone else signed. Even with working arrangements there doesn't seem to be anyone there who he hasn't worked with unless fans really want him vs PAC.
    Ibushi seems obvious but I think New Japan will try block that if its possible on their side.

with the small roster i think the lack of new matches will only hurt them once they start doing tv and shows more often.

id love to know is there much separation from the fans who go to all the big wwe events and the ones who are attending this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

J. Marston wrote: »
    Either Meltzer is bullshing (shocking...) or they're playing the Khans like a fiddle. Leaning towards the former.

Anyone else getting the vibe that Tony Khan is a bit of a mark who the wrestlers are going to take advantage of.

It kind of feels like his Dad bought him a wrestling company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,899 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If AEW could get Taker Mean Mark for one match to put someone over who should it be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

If AEW could get Taker Mean Mark for one match to put someone over who should it be?

Joey Ryan just to see the outrage from certain people on the internet.

Joey Ryan just to see the outrage from certain people on the internet.

The Druids vs the Dildos/

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Dildos vs Druids..... take my money! Only if Kevin Sullivan gets to bring back the dungeon of doom and somehow the Sinister Minister is involved!

What if Cody went full 80's and booked all these no name guys as jobbers for tv?

Obviously had a beer... or two.
    Joking aside really looking forward to how the whole project works out, good bad or indifferent it has definitely got people talking. It's already getting people better deals and terms by all accounts. So good luck to them.

Anyone else getting the vibe that Tony Khan is a bit of a mark who the wrestlers are going to take advantage of.

It kind of feels like his Dad bought him a wrestling company.

There's clearly an element of that.

However, he's noted he had planned this for a long time and is only launching now. Doing so at a time when TV rights for wrestling have never been larger and there are genuine stars on the outside to launch with is terrific timing. Clearly there is some savvy thinking here.

By the same token, I think we can all look at it and see that having 4 top wrestlers as EVP's with a hand in creative, while Khan will be spending half his time in London on a completely different time zone is going to lead to challenges both in terms of the ability to make decisions efficiently and without conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Bea Priestley
    is the newest addition to All Elite Wrestling's roster.

I saw yesterday AEW were turned down on all of names they tried to patent and trademark including AEW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I saw yesterday AEW were turned down on all of names they tried to patent and trademark including AEW.

Jesus!! Watch Vince make a stable called AEW now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Jesus!! Watch Vince make a stable called AEW now

Filled to the absolute brim with jobbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,308 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It'll be the new bWo. Or the Mean Street Posse.

Or Miz's new Aew-some faction

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Filled to the absolute brim with jobbers.

Heath Slater as the leader!

Why in the hell did they not secure the trademarks before announcing them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,224 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Cowboys, Ted. They're a bunch of cowboys.

Isn't that the fault of their Chief Brandi Officer?

id be more entailed to put the blame on Billionaire Tony

im sure they wont lose the names as Tony would throw money at it surely but god how much of a disater would that be to lose the name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

What a farce that is. Amateur hour stuff.

I am starting to get a stink of carnie about this.

The initial applications were rejected for what are mostly minor, technical reasons. WWE has trademarks rejected all the time - NXT was rejected at first. I wouldn't stress about it, it will be resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

sky88 wrote: »
    id be more entailed to put the blame on Billionaire Tony

im sure they wont lose the names as Tony would throw money at it surely but god how much of a disater would that be to lose the name

I don't think it wold be a major deal to lose the name at this early stage of the company. I'd say many would have said that World Wrestling Federation losing their F, and changing to E would have spelt disaster too.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I don't think it wold be a major deal to lose the name at this early stage of the company. I'd say many would have said that World Wrestling Federation losing their F, and changing to E would have spelt disaster too.

but they were a company that was a established were aew is a new company trying to get tv deals and it would just project a bad image of the company straight off the bat

Wrighty vs tony khan at double or nothing

https://twitter.com/5livesport/status/1102677021824495616?s=21

• Advertisement

So stories of JR signing a multi year million dollar a year contract.

That alone really does give the whole wrestlers talking a Billionaire for a ride idea some credence.

JR is about 15 years past a million dollar a year contract talent.

They are dead in the water before they start if he is going to be an on air talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

That alone really does give the whole wrestlers talking a Billionaire for a ride idea some credence.

They are dead in the water before they start if he is going to be an on air talent.

Hear hear.

This is now clearly a money mark operation.

JR can't even cut it on pre recorded New Japan commentary that airs in the middle of the night. Having him blurt out his tired old catchphrases on this new company's show will set it back before it even gets started.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

sirmanga wrote: »
    Hear hear.

JR can't even cut it on pre recorded New Japan commentary that airs in the middle of the night. Having him blurt out his tired old catchphrases on this new company's show will set it back before it even gets going.

I'd agree JR is well past his use by as on air talent, as sirmanga has noted regarding New Japan, he sounds a combination of tired & can't be fecking arsed. He'd be better off used in some kind of backstage role.

They'd be better off hiring others for commentary.

He never seems to learn anything about the wrestlers. The number of mistakes he makes is crazy

Come on now.

The announcers in WWE earn fractions of this. Why would Khan approach Ross, who has little leverage, and offer him an obscenely above market salary?

Unless, of course, he is a major VP in the company, like head of talent relations or something. Then I can see a high 6 figure or early 7 figure deal.

sirmanga wrote: »
    Hear hear.

JR can't even cut it on pre recorded New Japan commentary that airs in the middle of the night. Having him blurt out his tired old catchphrases on this new company's show will set it back before it even gets started.

There's a completely unsubstantiated rumour floating in the ether and ***this*** makes up your mind?

Lads, seriously. No one has any idea what level of TV deal they are negotiating, nor for the most part what salaries they are paying out. Maybe Khan is a money mark, maybe he's a savvy businessman, or maybe it is somewhere in the middle. Perhaps best wait for some ACTUAL evidence before leaping to conclusions? :confused:

Right so no one discuss anything on a message board until actual facts are out there.

Close the thread then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Right so no one discuss anything on a message board until actual facts are out there.

Close the thread then.

Yep. Didn't realise this was an academic dissertation and everything needed to by cited for fear of a bad grade.

Having to listen to jr makes this less watchable for me I’ve grown to really dislike him over the years and there’s just much better commentators out there they could try to get

• Advertisement

I don’t watch much if anything outside Raw. Who would you rank top 5 announcers?

sky88 wrote: »
    Having to listen to jr makes this less watchable for me I’ve grown to really dislike him over the years and there’s just much better commentators out there they could try to get

One thing noticeable is that he knows very little about anyone outside of WWE which is unacceptable in 2019 considering the content of worldwide wrestling isn't exactly hidden now.
    I can understand why AEW want people who could be channel hopping to immediately notice something if they stop and watch the show but if you have a guy on commentary who doesn't know the talent on show that is a bigger issue than how interested he sounds.
    As far as commentators go...I used to like Mauro Ranallo but after a while he becomes like early 2000's JR spouting his catchphrases.
    Cole, Graves and Renee are absolutely sh!t imo; Smackdown's ones aren't much better. I like Kevin Kelly and Ian Riccaboni but often their partners let them down. Don Callis puts himself over too often even as a heel commentator, Lanny Poffo was an assault on ones ears and Chris Charlton does not have a voice for commentary, when he talks above his normal levels I genuinely have no clue what he's saying as he can't seem to get the words out quick enough.

I don’t watch much if anything outside Raw. Who would you rank top 5 announcers?

That's really hard to come to any sort of agreement on I'd imagine. Most dislike the WWE main announce teams but before they got behind the main desk in most cases a good few were popular on NXT and the likes.

I've heard people speak glowingly of Cole when he's not attached to a RAW or a Smackdown, same with Graves and most recently McGuinness.

It's a difficult situation with as is well documented Vince screaming down the headsets to them to promote this and highlight that and not just letting them focus on the product.

Alex Marvez has been reported as the lead announcer. He's been host at both the press conferences too. Perhaps that has changed.

Close the thread then.

You're being completely disingenuous to avoid acknowledging the point I'm making.

No one suggested to not discuss anything. I pointed out that jumping to broad conclusions based on completely unsubstantiated rumours is pointless, which I stand by.

Brandi hinting there title belt will be the old mid south belt

• Advertisement

Bucks & Omega Panel & Q & A at Chicago C2E2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Is aew on tv yet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

cena wrote: »
    Is aew on tv yet?

Nope no tv deal yet.

You’d imagine announcing it at double or nothing if they have signed one

cena wrote: »
    Is aew on tv yet?

The reports are there's no plan to launch a TV show until September/October.

It may behoove them to hold off on making a deal until after Double Or Nothing, when there's more buzz.

• Advertisement
Advertisement