Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Monokne wrote: »

Can only assume WWE is also a vanity project for Stephanie McMahon, then?

You bet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Seriously, the only people who thinks Brandi freakin Rhodes (sorry Seth) is the best person the be an executive for AEW are her husband and lying virtue signallers who are in love with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

sirmanga wrote: »
    Seriously, the only people who thinks Brandi freakin Rhodes (sorry Seth) is the best person the be an executive for AEW are her husband and lying virtue signallers who are in love with her.

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

As has been previously said, it would be unwise for AEW to go down the TNA route of hiring WWE cast offs. Now, getting someone in the ilk of a Kurt Angle would be good, but he's almost the exception to the rule.

I also reckon that they would do well to align themselves with some indy feds, to use as a hub for up and coming stars. Somewhat like WWE used to have with Florida Championship Wrestling (which went on to be the NXT we know today), Deep South, Ohio Valley etc. Having a good development system in place builds for the future. They can make their own stars.

I'm super excited about the prospects for this, it's high time Vince had competition. I'm not terribly excited about Hangman Page, Cody etc being all over the card though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    As has been previously said, it would be unwise for AEW to go down the TNA route of hiring WWE cast offs. Now, getting someone in the ilk of a Kurt Angle would be good, but he's almost the exception to the rule.

I also reckon that they would do well to align themselves with some indy feds, to use as a hub for up and coming stars. Somewhat like WWE used to have with Florida Championship Wrestling (which went on to be the NXT we know today), Deep South, Ohio Valley etc. Having a good development system in place builds for the future. They can make their own stars.

I'm super excited about the prospects for this, it's high time Vince had competition. I'm not terribly excited about Hangman Page, Cody etc being all over the card though.

Kurt Angle in 2019 is not a draw. He was broken down long before he made it back to WWE. I would be staying clear of him at this stage.

Best thing for them to do is to try get new talent before WWE snaps them up for the sake of it.

I look forward to their product, its hard to judge what their future is without the full roster in place and how they will use them. A name like Jericho, Cody or Pac can help attract fans initially.

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Kurt Angle in 2019 is not a draw. He was broken down long before he made it back to WWE. I would be staying clear of him at this stage.

Best thing for them to do is to try get new talent before WWE snaps them up for the sake of it.

I look forward to their product, its hard to judge what their future is without the full roster in place and how they will use them. A name like Jericho, Cody or Pac can help attract fans initially.

I don't mean Kurt Angle now.

What i meant was when TNA got Kurt, it could be argued he was at the height of his powers.

I don't mean Kurt Angle now.

What i meant was when TNA got Kurt, it could be argued he was at the height of his powers.

Ah I see.

Kurts situation would be very hard to mirror these days.

Would there be any WWE top draw stars who would jump?

Would any be even in a position to jump contract wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,119 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If they really have the money and want to get an eye on the product then they should offer Brock a deal once his WWE one ends.

From what I have read his contract ends sometime this year around WM.

Double or Nothing being in Las Vegas the home of the UFC Brock would bring a lot of eyes on AEW.

Also Brock is a money guy not a company guy.

If they really have the money and want to get an eye on the product then they should offer Brock a deal once his WWE one ends.

From what I have read his contract ends sometime this year around WM.

Double or Nothing being in Las Vegas the home of the UFC Brock would bring a lot of eyes on AEW.

Also Brock is a money guy not a company guy.

Spot on, he is a Merc in that sense. Would they have the money to offer him big bucks? And how many dates would he work?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,119 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Spot on, he is a Merc in that sense. Would they have the money to offer him big bucks? And how many dates would he work?

All they have is one date.

If they are serious about this then it would be money well spent.

Brock brings money in to companies there is a reason the UFC keep bringing him back and Vince pays him.

• Advertisement

Ah I see.

Kurts situation would be very hard to mirror these days.

Would there be any WWE top draw stars who would jump?

Would any be even in a position to jump contract wise?

Would Randall Keith be considered a draw? How is he even perceived by casual fans?

I'd like to see someone like a Rusev or Cesaro leave. Sami Zayn. Shinsuke. There's a good few, but are these guys big draws? I don't think so. Randy has major star power to his name. Someone like him leaving WWE for a new Fed would be headline news. Though Cody & The Bucks would likely have to shake his cock for him before he'd accept.

Would Randall Keith be considered a draw? How is he even perceived by casual fans?

I'd like to see someone like a Rusev or Cesaro leave. Sami Zayn. Shinsuke. There's a good few, but are these guys big draws? I don't think so. Randy has major star power to his name. Someone like him leaving WWE for a new Fed would be headline news. Though Cody & The Bucks would likely have to shake his cock for him before he'd accept.

Rusev and Cesaro could be break out stars who are more than capable of being a top draw. Both could be so much more than they are currently. Id liken them to Christian when he took a risk and moved to TNA.

They wouldnt be at the Kurt Angle level of stardom though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

A motivated Orton could work, but the current phone-it-in version would put me off the fed before it even starts. I'm also not gone on 2019 fat Jericho but I get why they've signed him. A lot of possibilities with proper backing behind them, but they need a TV deal or people are simply not going to jump ship from WWE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

They would be idiots to not throw money at the likes of cm punk and his missus

ricero wrote: »
    They would be idiots to not throw money at the likes of cm punk and his missus

100%. All he's asked for is an offer.

Apparently, going on past interviews, nobody has offered him anything. The issue of a return to wrestling has been skirted about, but never anything concrete.

Necro wrote: »
    A motivated Orton could work, but the current phone-it-in version would put me off the fed before it even starts. I'm also not gone on 2019 fat Jericho but I get why they've signed him. A lot of possibilities with proper backing behind them, but they need a TV deal or people are simply not going to jump ship from WWE.

Jericho will be a well known name who will get folks over. I think hes a fine signing all things considered.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Dwc1jNzVsAAN_D0.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭DK224

I'd be pretty much a lapsed fan other than podcasts and some NJPW. Heard all the buzz about AEWs launch and tuned into last nights press conference, have to say I felt deflated by the whole thing. Production was scatty between the fireworks overload and the terrible sound where the crowd was inaudible the entire time. I just can't see how a casual fan watching it would be that excited, Cody, PAC, Bucks, Page are great to the dedicated fan but can they really draw enough people in to make this viable in the long term?
    I know McGregor is divisive but its a pop culture guy like him who would draw eyeballs that I would be trying to get involved in some sort of angle to spark a buzz if the Khans are willing to spend and make a statement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Floyd definitely an option if they really want to fire some money around. Vegas based with PW history and seemingly willing to try anything these days for a buck (except box actual contenders).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I would say for anyone underwhelmed by the presser last night go back and watch All In the actual PPV they did off there own back last year

The press conference was very much a thrown together thing and not an overall representation of what this company will be

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think there is room for an exciting touring company with the odd show but I don't see TV working out for them. If anything an outside WWE version of NXT would be perfect, big shows every couple of months and a short internet show that does not even feature that many people would be best.

Regualr TV will overexpose the individuals involved and make them uninteresting. What makes them a success now is they are only available in far away places in tv, at live shows or in very short easy consumable clips on the internet. Add TV to that and people will see the flaws more, nitpick more and flat out tire of them.

WWE suffer as everyone is there too long, they don't turnover people quick enough and everyone loses their star appeal. NXT works as they have a big turnover to keep things fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ruat Caelum

I would say for anyone underwhelmed by the presser last night go back and watch All In the actual PPV they did off there own back last year

The press conference was very much a thrown together thing and not an overall representation of what this company will be

I'll say I was a tad underwhelmed last night. I think there was very little information given about what the actual promotion is. Will the wrestlers announced last night be exclusively working for AEW? Or will they still be able to take other bookings too? Both the NWA world title and ROH title were being defended at All In, and it also featured wrestlers contracted to NJPW. Should we expect that kind of co-operation going forward?

They have some kind of relationship with Oriental Wrestling Entertainment apart from that, all we really found out were the names of a few wrestlers, and the locations of their next two events.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,482 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dwc1jNzVsAAN_D0.jpg:large

WWE are sum bitter *****

Presentation is key though and nobody should throw something together that makes them look amateur as people who were not engaged first time around are hard to get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I do agree with you , I do think it was rushed by someone higher up as a lot of them would have been only barely off the plane from Japan , page said as much in his promo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

PTH2009 wrote: »
    WWE are sum bitter *****

Meh, it's not bitter, it's business. He's signed on as the face of their competitor. They're under no obligation to keep putting his face out there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,482 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Meh, it's not bitter, it's business. He's signed on as the face of their competitor. They're under no obligation to keep putting his face out there anymore.

WWE too Jericho

"You've just made the list"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

DM_7 wrote: »
    I think there is room for an exciting touring company with the odd show but I don't see TV working out for them. If anything an outside WWE version of NXT would be perfect, big shows every couple of months and a short internet show that does not even feature that many people would be best.

Regualr TV will overexpose the individuals involved and make them uninteresting. What makes them a success now is they are only available in far away places in tv, at live shows or in very short easy consumable clips on the internet. Add TV to that and people will see the flaws more, nitpick more and flat out tire of them.

WWE suffer as everyone is there too long, they don't turnover people quick enough and everyone loses their star appeal. NXT works as they have a big turnover to keep things fresh.

There's no money in a touring group. The money in wrestling at any reasonably high level in 2018 is TV, that simple. Think about the fact that WWE made a loss at the gate in their last quarter. It is ALL about TV if this group is to succeed. I am sure the Khans know that.

Monokne wrote: »
    There's no money in a touring group. The money in wrestling at any reasonably high level in 2018 is TV, that simple. Think about the fact that WWE made a loss at the gate in their last quarter. It is ALL about TV if this group is to succeed. I am sure the Khans know that.

They are a start up so reasonably high money is not a realistic expectation. Who other than WWE is making money thanks to TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,350 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lord TSC wrote: »

AEW isn't a competitor to WWE. At least not yet and for as bad as WWE can be it has an unfair advantage over all of other current US based wrestling promotions, and it's not money, it's history.

Advertisement