Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,919 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seems Jericho took my comment onboard about a hair vs hair match.

Until they showed the cards for the matches at the end, was anyone else a bit confused as to when the Blood 'n' Guts match was meant to be or is it was some sort of gimmick PPV? Same with the hair vs hair match.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,063 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Melanie Pillman, widow of Brian, mother of Brian Jnr has died.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,138 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Scissor me, Daddy Ass." is in the pantheon of great wrestling catchphrases.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,996 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Pillman Jr. also wrote the following on Instagram:

Yesterday at approximately 1:00pm my mother, Melanie Pillman, was pronounced dead.

Those of you who know our family story understand that I didn’t have the best relationship with my mother, though my sister and I had recently been in touch with her, working to improve that relationship.

While I didn’t spend too much time with her, she would ALWAYS tune into my twitch streams and interact with my fans, often times sharing with them old stories about my father and the wrestling business. She had been helping out my sister with her son Asher by purchasing him baby clothes, and was on relatively good terms with everyone as of late.

Her death, while unexpected, was not surprising. Her lifestyle choices that dominated the better part of the last 25 years of her life had ultimately caught up with her.

She was as intelligent as she was beautiful and her dark sense of humor could make even the biggest prude burst out in laughter.

Although I had my built up resentment towards her, I was very proud of her for taking part in the DSOTR documentary and sharing the truth about our family story. That was the beginning of us mending our relationship.

I do have regrets. I regret not giving her the time of day when she was trying so hard to be in our lives again. I regret not texting her back even though I had the time to. I regret not trying harder to break her of her bad habits and help her get the help she needed.

A couple weeks ago she had been tuning into my twitch stream when she told me in chat that she was coming over to Linda’s house to drop off some trading cards. I didn’t see it in chat so I was annoyed at her for showing up un-announced. I met her outside and accepted the gift and gave her a hug and she went on her way. I truly regret not sitting down with her for a little bit or going to grab lunch with her. I regret being upset with her simply because she wanted to see her son. She actually looked really healthy and sober. That was the last time I saw her.

Thank you mom for bringing me into this world and for trying your absolute best. You were my number 1 fan in wrestling and on Twitch.

Rest In Peace. I love you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,996 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I see MJF has been removed from AEW Roster pages

• Registered Users Posts: 38,063 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I find it strange Wardlow is number 1 rank before he even has a match as a contracted wrestler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

The people online being like "I don't know who Tanahashi is therefore this is bad" are genuinely the dumbest people alive. Hiroshi Tanahashi....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Surely a good 95% at least of AEW fans know who Tanahashi is? Seens as we're often told on here how it's the smark promotion etc. If Yoshi Hashi strolled out fair enough, but it's the Ace!

If you're a pro-wrestling fan and have never heard of Okada, Tanahashi or Naito I'd say maybe broaden your horizons a little bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's one thing to not know a wrestler, but it's another thing entirely to see the way he was presented and not think "well this guy must be a big deal." But whilst I know almost nothing about Japanese wrestling generally, I know who Tanahashi is :)

Very sad news for the Pillman family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The banned from the arena thing is the usual next step Austin / Punk anti-hero turn, but I don't see much about what MJF is doing that makes him a face, or Tony a heel, at least not to AEW fans. I think they're leaning into what WWE fans and the Jim Cornettes of the world would say, not what AEW fans would say.

It's a clever idea and more original than just doing the repeat of those old story lines. Punk gets over both ways and Austin was one of the biggest faces in history whereas MJF has little redeeming qualities, he comes across as an out and out sh1thead and is the most over heel in wrestling, why would you want to change that? He's unlikely to get regularly cheered by live fans, and if they do he will no doubt abuse the **** out of them. It all just adds to his persona of greedy, conceited asshole perfectly.

And as far as works go it's a doozy, we already have several examples of people on this very forum buying it hook, line and sinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Even if people do know who Tanahashi is, AEW really should do more about promoting Japanese wrestlers. Like just having them show up with no introduction is one of the worst ways to debut a talent from Japan. They should at least prepare a video package for him so they can introduce them to the casual audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,461 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jade is just class,

Jade and Red are two who turn up for the training with Danielson & Regal

AEW star Jade Cargill has compiled an interesting resume. From NCAA basketball player, to a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc, wife and mother with a masters degree in child psychology with a made for Marvel movies physical presence, Cargill’s second year with AEW is packed with a lifetime of milestones.

An eager student of the game, she checks all the boxes in what you want in a wrestling star. She’s been putting in championship work since day one. Working consistently with coaches Bryan Danielson and Dustin Rhodes, often showing up two hours ahead of practice sessions, rehearsing everything from moves to promos, even on her day off, there are no days off. “She’s in there every day, [training] still working, very hard every single day. Always perfecting her craft.” says Dustin. As the inaugural TBS Champion with an impeccable 30-0 record, Jade Cargill is - in her words- that bitch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

someone on Reddit made a great video, splicing bits of MJFs promo together with some of Punks, most noticeably the pipe bomb. And it’s hilarious cause it makes it clear how much of Punk’s stuff MJF has emulated with it. Some are subtle, some are lines nearly directly lifted from Punks promos.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,290 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

You'd get the impression that MJF and Punk have been working on this whole thing together for a while. Even stuff like MJF and Punk wearing islanders shirts in Long Island - except with Punk wearing the name of a player who screwed them over. Punk wasn't even feuding with MJF, but now it feels like another little setup for whats in store.

There's a great symmetry of them being two sides of the same coin, Punk now being the company man. And you can be sure MJF's comment of "I'm the second biggest draw in AEW" will be brought back up by Punk saying "I'm the biggest".

Feels like AEW has exploded into life again after treading water for a little while with Hangman.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Punk injured and needs surgery, bad timing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Looks like Moxley as the new champion then. Can't imagine he loses against whoever comes out of the Battle Royal.

What horrific timing. 😑

• Advertisement

I'm surprised none of the wrestling news sites are picking up on this. They're saying he was injured in the 6 man but he definitely started limping after the dive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Ah FFS, I was really looking forward to a fresh Punk run

Moxley or Danielson are the obvious choices for me to get the title and good options. Hope they don't just put it back on Hangman.

I think MJF might be the way to go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Think it has to be Moxley. There's a battle royal and the winner of that faces Moxley the same night. Moxley would come off badly in losing that match imo and he's very well protected. It also means Forbidden Door match is him Vs Tanahashi which is a better matchup than Punk Vs Tanahashi anyway.

So going into Dynamite Wardlow was Number 1 ranking and Moxley was number 4. Both guys won their matches and now the new rankings coincidentally put Moxley at number 1 in time for the Interim title match. I'm sure it'll be to do with win/loss ratios or something. Maybe the rankings are genuinely worked out or probably didn't want to put the title on Wardlow or have him lose a singles match yet. Though one of those will be proven wrong if he wins the battle royal.

Mox also avoids the risk of giving someone new their first title reign as a temporary, “only got it cause Punk was hurt” title reign before dropping it back to Punk.

Mind, if you really want to strap a rocket on someone, having them win the battle royal and then beating Mox, AND getting a win at forbidden Door would be one way to do it…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

In retrospect this has been a near perfect week of pro wrestling in so many ways, well done AEW.

Here's your millionth reminder, the Young Bucks are the best tag team ever. No doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,138 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Moxley doesn't need the title. Push Wardlow to the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Riddle101

For me, it should be either Miro or Danielson. Danielson has yet to win something big in AEW, and having him win the AEW World Championship could make for some interesting matches/feuds. On the other hand, Miro could win as well and give him that elevation to World Champion status.

Wardlow is another interesting pick to be champion as well as it would allow him to continue to build his momentum, but maybe have Wardlow win the TNT championship, and Miro the AEW World Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Miro v Mox after Miro smashing through the battle royale would be a lot of fun to get Miro right back into contention for everything. But it does look like Mox will win (protecting both because whoever his opponent will be can always claim 2 matches in one night making it an unfair fight) and go with Tanahashi. I don't know if we want Mox v Danielson yet, but I'd say the Eddie Kingston wrinkle in that pair could be exploited, but you hardly want to break up BCC after so short a time and them being serious fan favourites as a stable.

Bucks v Lucha Bros was excellent (no surprises there) and Dante v Sky put on a good show. Athena looked good too in her debut.

Advertisement