Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Isn't Owens a noted WWE mark? Gran Akuma was tweeting that his dream has always been WWE, he was a huge Austin,Rock fan growing up etc. And as a family man, I wouldn't be shocked to see him sign with them again.

But it would be class if Kevin Steen rocked out on the first Dynamite of 2022 all the same!

Dunne's contract is up soon too I think? Like to see him in AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, Owens (and Zayn) are friends with a lot of the AEW roster and both guys are guys who clearly love wrestling. Those two, and someone like Balor, are the dream gets from AEW for me. They're all wasted in WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Owens learned English from watching WWE as a kid. So safe to say he loved WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

When you really think about it this thread more active than WWE related threads on here. It really goes to show you that you not missing out on much if you are not watching WWE at the moment.

It always feel like there is always plenty to talk about AEW all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

It's easy to wheel out debut's and create a short-term buzz, but AEW is much more than that, so I'm confident they will be able to sustain the interest. It's a great product, the twists and turns matter, and they book long-term and showcase talent. WWE has been largely disposal TV for more than a few years, with short-term booking and seemingly no desire to consistently put talent in a position to be successful. I think the problem may be that I look at WWE through a traditional pro-wrestling mindset, when in reality it is a weird variety show in a wrestling ring. AEW is pro wrestling as it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Well youd think Jericho was a WWE guy for life but here we are.

Owens definitely was a WWE guy but things change and hed be a perfect fit for AEW.

Id rather see a Maskless Zayn than El Genrico. He doesn't need the mask anymore.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Nail on the head as regards WWE being disposable, outside of Roman there's just nothing that makes you think 'oh I need to see this every week (or even month)', most feuds feel pointless and/or never ending and they just keep recycling the same handful of people in the titles scenes and bringing back the same tired faces to the point it doesn't matter anymore (and they're doing it again now with the one decent story that they have).

AEW is sometimes in danger of doing that too with a few feuds but they at least keep some other part of the show fresh or spice up the feud with a special match or something (jericho-mjf is a prime example of something that should have ended ages ago but they just about manage to keep interesting)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Nah.

I'd love to know what a good Battle Royal is in your opinion, because if the one from Sunday doesn't qualify as exactly that then I'm not too sure what'd satisfy your criteria. I'd argue it packed in over half a dozen stories, didn't outstay it's welcome and had a hot closing stretch.

He's hardly what he was but Jericho held up his end in the match.

An OK main event is another silly undersell, the bell to bell work from both was top notch. If the standard of that work was only OK then absolutely nothing ever rises to the standard of good.

And to wrap this up, the irony of you saying that is that the fan reaction to all 3 debuts on the show is that the AEW fanbase would rather see the pre WWE version of those wrestlers rather than the WWE version. All the talk about Ruby is how WWE misused her and did nothing with her, they want AEW to let her be herself. Adam Cole is hugely popular, particularly with this fanbase, in spite of his NXT run rather than because of it. Bryan Danielson is out there talking about wanting to kick young kids heads in, referencing his American Dragon run and all the rest of it. That all 3 were very popular additions and yet the general consensus on each one seems to be that the fans would rather see them in their pre WWE form speaks volumes about how WWE used all 3.

And jumps in wrestling are fun, they're exciting so why should anyone feel bad about enjoying it? In a company with long, overarching stories and detailed booking, having that contrasted with the immediate gratification of a debut pop is probably the most ideal thing. On top of that, the signings themselves are great additions to any roster, but particularly this one with this fanbase and with this company's history.

And on a ppv that delivered from top to bottom, with a molten hot crowd and had an ending that genuinely did feel tide-turning I think it being mentioned among the very best ppvs ever is not out of place at all.

I havent enjoyed a PPV like that since One Night Stand 05. Yes there have been some excellent PPV in between then and now but I honestly was smiling ear to ear all the way through.

Was I a huge fan of the Battle Royal and Big Show match. No if Im honest, did they stink up the joint....no. they didn't ruin my enjoyment of the show. QT v PW was a perfect short toilet break match. The battle royal had its moments despite its negatives and wasnt brutal.

To say Omega v Christian was ok is an understatment. They made a predictable match on paper seem so interesting. Never bet against Omega delivering esp considering his partner is a guy who rarely underperforms.

And I love the term Stamford lads.....

Jeez most wrestlers are either former WWE guys or guys who were turned down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

"Chasing his opponent to the ring" I think Justin is enjoying Lance Archer.

Acclaimed had a fun return and good to see Anthony Bowens showing more personality as well.

Don't think I've heard of a 3 Strikes match before. At first it just sounded like a 2 out of 3 falls match but was clearer after the first fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Hager told Miro to "leave that ásshole company" two years ago, then deleted the tweet.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I don't think AEW needs anyone else tbh right now. The switches are cool and all and definitely have my attention but surely there comes a point where the roster becomes bloated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I mean people talk about the bloated roster but I don't agree. You've got 3 hours of prime television to fill and having a roster of stars means that you can rotate whose on your shows each week and who isn't. It keeps everyone fresh, it doesn't overexpose them and it means when they have a match on weekly TV it's a bit more special. It's something WWE used to do very well in the late 80's/early 90's but something that was completely lost in the Monday Night War and has never found it's way back until now.

Roster is too bloated indeed.

All they can do is replace the muck with talent.

Of the problems AEW have I don't think having too many of some of the best pro-wrestlers on the go at the moment in the company is one.

As LOB said they have three hours of prime TV to fill, plus the YT shows. Helps keep things fresh, how many times have you seen the same matches ad nauseam in other promotions.

Ad nauseam? I never get sick of Apollo Crews vs Big E or Shemaus v Damien Priest. 🤣

I do think its a little bloated but Im not complaining.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I don't think the problem would be that the roster is too full, rather creative is understaffed. There's a lot of guys on the roster as it is who could do with more depth to their feuds at the moment. They've got the TV and YouTube time to feature everyone, the problem is doing it in an interesting way beyond putting everyone in a faction and having a load of matches

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As long as they don't feel they now need to get Cole, Bryan and Punk out in front of the crowd every week

Tbf, it wouldn't be a shock if Rampage moved to a better day/time and was given a bit longer at some point in the future too. I'm not sure if they'll want to move Dynamite but a Tuesday/Thursday split would work well if both went always live and Rampage was longer. If they keep on growing, and with the viewership they're getting, it'd probably something that TNT wouldn't mind. Then you've got Dark as mentioned, but also the Forbidden Door and you can have guys go away to another company for a while and wrestle. You could have young talent going from Dark to a smaller indie to get some time, and then have older more established guys go away (particularly when pandemic is over, guys like Moxley and Danielson will go and do some time in NJPW most likely). Also with their use of factions you get guys on TV anyway even if they're not actively wrestling (someone like Hager is good as muscle in a faction but chances of him wrestling much are probably low). There's no need to go sit in catering like in WWE with AEW.

• Advertisement

People being in factions and wrestlers actually wrestling matches is interesting to me anyways. Throw in tournaments etc.

I'd rather see that then people feuding over spilt coffee, weddings or voodoo bs you see on the regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think the only way they could improve is make Rampage an hour longer

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone going to Fozzy on the 4th December in the Opium Rooms ?

I'll be going to Elton John (yes I knw massive difference in music styles) in the 3Arena the night before and might book a hotel for the night and go to Fozzy the Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Kenny Omega takes the #1 spot in this year's PWI 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,879 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Completely deserved. Best wrestler in the world.

Says alot about Kenny that every new wrestler joining AEW aways say they want to wrestle him.

It had to be King Kenny, nobody else comes close.

They've done my man Shingo dirty though, only ninth place is a sham!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Young Bucks changing their Twitter Bio again this time to tease that Owens is coming.

Will Hobbs vs. Dante Martin for tonight could be a thing of beauty Big Man small man match.

Card is a bit light on matches for tonight so far. All 4 should be good but it's definitely a small amount even with the promos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Isn't it usually a 5 match formula? Assuming Mox and Minoru will be given time, probably the opening 20 minute slot and I'd assume it will be a little more promo heavy than usual as all the new arrivals will need to be addressed in some fashion.

• Advertisement

Usually 6 isn't it? I'd imagine Mox is the main event too since it's his home town. Feel like 5 would be enough unless Mox - Suzuki is going very long (other 3 look like about 10 minute matches).

Advertisement