Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭ThePott

I assume you'll be able to watch Rampage back in the same way you watch Dynamite back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Thanks guys just signed up for aew plus on it. Can't wait to get back into a bit of wrestling.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The Caster stuff is quite disappointing. I was cringing at the stuff targeting Julia/Blonds but figured it must have been cleared and OK'd cause let's be honest, that's a 19-year-old woman being harassed by a 32-year-old man and it's creepy at best. Rape jokes are not and will never be ok. I don't know why so many of the production team let it slide either, but I suspect a few bollockings have been handed out.

The Dan Lambert "bringing backup" thing has been pushed back to next week supposedly.

Weak enough card tonight imo. Compared to the other cards since returning to the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I'd expect Dark Order to take the Impact titles. Would be good to see their antics in Impact with the Swingman haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Dark Order taking the IMPACT titles would be interesting, can see it happening. Although I could see Bey and White winning them either, or with another member of BC.

Another good episode of Dark, I like how the likes of Hikuleo just show up now and again, Dark reminds me of WCW Pro or Worldwide, you could see any random match, love it.

Nice to see Garcia pick up another win too, that submission he used on Fuego looked killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

$25 starting price for combo tickets for Dynamite and Rampage live events is great value for money if you can get your hands on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think using Rampage to tape Dark and/or Elevation would mean they could have fans without it seeming too much.

Larry Zbyszko's son Ripper Zbyszko made his AEW debut on Dark last night in a tag match against Wardlow & Spears.

• Advertisement

Two UFC champions too appear on Dynamite in Houston next week.

The United Center is a 15 minute drive from the AMC.

Maybe now that he knows, he might try and get a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Dante Martin is bloody incredible. I think AEW know it too as Omega made him look like a star in that match yesterday. It might be a bit much but him vs Fenix in something like a ladders match would be ridiculously fun.

Outside of that, some missed beats for me that don't really work. Christian vs Omega x2 in the space of 3 weeks is overkill. Lots of people don't even want it once, but I've no idea how you book that unless there's a swerve in there. Like Christian beating Omega on Friday lessens the eventual defeat of Omega, Omega beating Christian is expected and doesn't do anything for All Out, and a screwy finish is crap for your first match ever of your new show. I kind of think your best approach is if someone bigger interferes (Page,Punk etc) or since it's for the Impact title, someone from Impact shows up and smashes Christian saying only an Impact talent takes the title off Omega.

Other misstep is Fuego whos never won a match being given a shot against Miro. Considering the whole rankings systems and wins matter stuff, that doesn't work at all even if Fuego is fun. If he can't beat the other jobbers on Dark, he doesn't deserve this imo. Also, Jungle Boy/Luchasaurus going straight into a title match. I guess this might be due to the Acclaimed being off, but you've done really nothing to show Jungle Boy/Luchasaurus as credible challenges to The Young Bucks. They should have had at least a no1 contenders match against Varsity Blondes on Dynamite to do somewhat of a build to the title match. Could throw Young Bucks at ringside and Callis on commentary or something, but as is, it's a bit meh as you know Young Bucks will win.

Looks like I misunderstood and MJF wasn't the ref.

As for Christian/Omega, I expect a DQ or shenanigans leading to an Omega win on Rampage.

Going by the reaction to Britt, Velvet will be the heel on Rampage. Statlander must be next in line at this point. just checked and she's second after Rosa. Velvet is third so don't know why she's getting the shot.

Jurassic Express and Christian are number 1 in their divisions. Though to be fair, I have no idea how these are worked out.

https://www.allelitewrestling.com/post/aew-rankings-as-of-wednesday-august-11-2021

Looks like getting the match everyone was crying out for - QT vs Paul Wight.

Hearing the crowd made me think if Bryan does join, will he or AEW try and stop the "Yes!" chants?

I was also under the assumption MJF was to be the referee for some reason.

Omega/Christian does nothing for me. Agree that the fact they are having it twice must be a swerve. Although I hope it's not Punk/Bryan interference, they shouldn't be put straight into the title picture nor should they be losing their first match which they would if they were going to pit them against Omega. Shoutout to whoever said when he debuted he wouldn't be in the title picture jk.

I do think this Dynamite was a bit sloppy alright. Dante Martin is great but Jesus he better watch himself on that hurricanrana, if that were someone that wasn't Omega he would have creamed himself. He's only 20 so there's plenty of time to make him the complete package. Statlander looked excellent and guessing she will be getting a shot at All Out. As for Britt, I don't think they know yet what to do with her when it comes to being a heel/face, been saying that even before this week.

I do think the Luchasaurus/Jungle Boy thing came out of nowhere but sure why not. Are we getting a Big Show match against the Nightmare Factory, I don't think there is something that could make me change the channel quicker.

Crazy that there's another show in just two days. Am interested to see how Rampage is presented to make it distinct.

Dante's brother came to the ring with him recently so wonder if he'll be back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

That Elite trios match was a cracker, one of the better TV openers of the year. Dante is some man to go, and the Sydal brothers are super smooth.

Darby/Garcia was so good too, I love how AEW references the week that Garcia has had outside of the company, again simple stuff that doesn't treat the fans like idiots. The Texas Tornado match next week should be sweet.

Big win for Statlander too, she's looking very good since her return. I like the Tony/QT/Wight stuff, can see it possibly leading to Wight/Ogogo eventually.

Jurassic Express are top of the rankings so I don't why people are saying they shouldn't get a title shot.

Just another very entertaining episode of Dynamite.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The reason people thought MJF would be the referee was because JR straight up said MJF would be the ref. It was a flub from JR's part and they never referenced it again.

Man, telling Jericho he can't play his song next week is awesome, cause you know the fans will sing him out.

Overall though, it felt like a lot of set up for other shows, which is understandable when the other show is trying to launch a second weekly show. Not the strongest overall this week, but set loads of interesting stuff up.

Really enjoyable two hours of wrestling with some great matches and good set up for the following shows and PPV.

I wonder will TNT take out ads during the breaks in Smackdown on Friday night telling fans to switch over to TNT at 11pm.

• Advertisement

Dante Martin has some control over his body to pull off some of those high spots.

Also meant to say "Well" a nice way to keep the Paul Wight entrance pop with the music

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Registered Users Posts: 54,043 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Amazing the rise of 2.0

Hardly seen or heard of in NXT come to AEW and already taking part in match with Darby and Sting

Some turn around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Not a good show this week. Lots of wrestling for wrestling sake, with none of it especially inspired.

Enjoyed Britt, that was great. Imagine making the most of a positive reaction to someone in their hometown! Madness.

Felt bad for Christian as it doesn't feel like the audience want him in that spot. Also weird booking that he gets the impact title shot first. I assume he wins that which is designed to heighten interest in the AEW PPV but I would not want to beat him with anyone not named Danielson, Omega or Punk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Is it 11? I thought it was 10. 11 is a much worse timeslot.

Loved the wrestling on the show big fan of trios so hopefully they get a trios title up and running soon. So many stories can be told with trios.

That Dante kid has some agility and they gave him some great spots to show off his skills, It is just great to have wrestling on a wrestling show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The rankings are bloody weird though. Jurassic Express went to the top of them yesterday morning and they were no4 previous. If wins over two random jobber tag teams on Dark shoot you up that far (one of the spots was The Acclaimed so they moved two really (Varsity Blondes and FTR)),I think that's a bit of a failure of the rankings system. Never mind that there's been no real build to that (previous weeks on Dark have been The Acclaimed vs Varsity Blondes for that no1 spot), it really comes across like they've zero shot to actually win the titles. Having titles matches for the sake of them isn't good storytelling imo. I don't think they've actually been on Dynamite as a tag team in months so their wins are basically Dark matches. It's simple to fix that too, they could have a straight up tag match between Jurassic Express and Varsity Blondes or do a multi man no1 contender spot between those 2 and others at the top of the rankings like Lucha Bros/FTR/Private Party to crown a no1. I'd probably prefer the straight up match and throw Young Bucks at ringside and Callis on commentary to be typical heels and at least you've something then. Hell, even do a trios match between Jurassic Express and Christian and Young Bucks and Omega and you've an easy way to build both programs and can have the challengers win there to cement their no1 status before they eventually lose the title shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

One of the weaker episodes overall I thought but the future is looking bright with Daniel Garcia and Dante Martin with great showings.

I never cared about Christian so hope he doesn't end up getting both shots. Hoping somebody costs him on Rampage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Christian Cage has never been pinned, never submitted, if you don't know now you know

They really need to work on their title programs, so much filler and wastage compared to normal feuds

• Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The ranking system gets a lot of praise but it's all so ankle deep and rubbish.

World title shots on the back of beating nobodies on Dark and Elevation like Pac and Cassidy did. It's like getting to the Champion's League final by beating Rotherham and Ipswich.

Christian won 4 or 5 matches against tag team wrestlers and boom, world title shot.

Red Velvet is getting a title shot with 15-2 record. Sounds impressive. One of those wins was on Dynamite, the rest on the YouTube shows against nobodies.

• Advertisement

AEW made a big deal of "wins and losses matter" and it's real live by the sword, die by the sword kinda thing. For me it's the Batman logic; it's real when it's useful. Sometimes it's very transparent when they have teams squash people in Dark to juice their numbers. Should wins count more given the quality of the team? Probably. How damaging are losses? FTR and Lucha Bros are undefeated this year and are only have 3 wins less than Jurassic Express, FTR have even beaten JE this year. There also seems to be inconsistencies with the numbers depending on which members of Jurass Express are grouping together.

Red Velvet challenging is another one that doesn't make much sense. She was third ranked last week but she has 2 defeats. Statlander is undefeated and was only two ins behind her but ranked below her. Tay Conti has way more wins than she did last week and just one more loss, ranked ahead of her. Why does she not get the shot?

Again I know they're kayfabe but I think the rankings are sort of dumb and inconsistent. Especially when for someone to be seen as a worthy challenger half the time you need to watch them squash people on Dark and Dark Elevation.

Advertisement