Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Pretty clear they've swerved off that direction ages ago. Some things land, some things don't.

It should have been shot down the second it was mentioned.
    Not sure what that perception is reality line meant when the current (or at least before last night) perception of Miro was pretty much universally talented guy that was way underutilised below his popularity level. The Cena match feels like a lifetime ago.

The man is a walking horse, when he showed up yesterday in his pyjamas looking like he wanted to stalk slim shady, he should have been sent home. Imagine if that was your first time seeing him. You don't get a second chance at a first impression.
    Bit of a difference in putting something on a dopey YouTube page (not even the most popular YouTube account associated with the company) than getting your TV network to do you a solid and stick a replay up on a sister channel.

It's all petty, if you're gonna hold one to a standard, you have to hold both.
    Anyway from my view I don't mind a company getting a few digs in at a competitor. It's wrestling, it's supposed to be fun. Do I need 20 minute monologues about Vince McMahon? No, but Cody hitting a throne with a sledgehammer in a silly ott entrance? I'll eat that stuff up.

We'll agree to disagree so, I think the smartest thing to do is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The counter programming is achieving exactly what WWE want - AEW panic about viewers flipping the channel early in the show and start each week at a million miles an hour, and keep things coming at you at a pace that barely lets you digest anything. The dedicated fans will stick with it, but new fans have no idea what's going on and struggle to get into the show. So their audience caps at number low enough for RAW/Smackdown to stay on top.

Contrast that with the more sports-like model of an NJPW show, where you build slowly to a main event, i.e., a few opening tag matches to try get younger guys over, then onto the mid card singles matches, then finish with a big main event. The pace is relaxed, there's time between matches to reflect on the last match, you can build a connection with an angle or a star, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

hynesie08 wrote: »
    It should have been shot down the second it was mentioned.

The man is a walking horse, when he showed up yesterday in his pyjamas looking like he wanted to stalk slim shady, he should have been sent home. Imagine if that was your first time seeing him. You don't get a second chance at a first impression.

It's all petty, if you're gonna hold one to a standard, you have to hold both.

We'll agree to disagree so, I think the smartest thing to do is nothing.

Lots of things make it to TV that I don't like, it doesn't always mean it won't work. Brodie being a McMahon like cult figure was tongue in cheek smark stuff for a few weeks, they pivoted to something with legs. Good job on the pivot.

I've had enough stereotypical foreign big guy heels to last a lifetime. He's a popular charismatic guy. I'd absolutely be willing to give it time to breathe. If it's a reflection of his real life personality then great, why would you want another brute in a suit?

Ye the standards are a bit different though aren't they? When one brand exists on a certain night purely to drive down viewership of a competitor at the detriment of that brand purely to not lower the figures of TV contracts for the other 2 brands when they come up for renewal, that's a slightly different level to putting a show free to view on YouTube.

I think we are because not acknowledging reality, or trying to exist in a bubble (or self contained universe) just seems weird to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Miro is the type of guy who constantly was the most over guy on the Raw roster despite actively being **** on. Not even ignored like others, but actively worked against, to lower his hype.

He'll thrive in AEW.

I find it funny though, everyone giving out about his dress sense when he was wearing a $500 t-shirt :D

If we judge style based on cost then I must be one of the best dressed going with all my custom punk vests and shirts costing a lot more than 500 each :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,439 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I do love that Miro walks into AEW with a wedding angle after left WWE on a wedding angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Free outfit ideas for Miro

Tuxedo T shirt with sleeves cut off
    Tanktop with bowtie
    Blazer no shirt
    2 sizes too small dress shirt that rips when he flexes.......

He also immediately needs to kick someone in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭ThePott

I find it weird people are getting so defensive about this.

I loved Rusev, the guy consistently got over when given some total muck. He's talented and charismatic.
    All that said. this was not a good debut. I don't understand why people think the promo of taking pops at WWE as an intro works.
    It just reeks of bitterness and easy points scoring. Stop telling us about how WWE held you back, show us they were wrong.

Why have your first impression be; "WWE Sucks, I didn't succeed there but here will be different."
    It seems a little petty and just makes it seem like you can't move on from before.

As an aside, I never thought of the Tony Khan/Robert Stone thing. Can kinda see it but it seems pretty niche considering Tony isn't really an onscreen character and it isn't too obvious a dig so not sure of the benefit.

ThePott wrote: »
    I find it weird people are getting so defensive about this.

I loved Rusev, the guy consistently got over when given some total muck. He's talented and charismatic.
    All that said. this was not a good debut. I don't understand why people think the promo of taking pops at WWE as an intro works.
    It just reeks of bitterness and easy points scoring. Stop telling us about how WWE held you back, show us they were wrong.

Why have your first impression be; "WWE Sucks, I didn't succeed there but here will be different."
    It seems a little petty and just makes it seem like you can't move on from before.

As an aside, I never thought of the Tony Khan/Robert Stone thing. Can kinda see it but it seems pretty niche considering Tony isn't really an onscreen character and it isn't too obvious a dig so not sure of the benefit.

Oh give him time!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Oh give him time!

He loves twitter, its only a matter to time.

AEW doesnt need him on screen..... ever

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Thats fantastic news.

Considering their PPV was poorly received, this is remarkable. Well deserved.

Good number. No competition and the post ppv bump meant the pressure was on this week to draw a strong number and they have. And what did they give away to get that number?

They actually had strong competition in the form of the biggest NBA game in a while (which went to double overtime) so this is an even better achievement overall. Happy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Great number now they need to build on it next week hopefully stay over the million regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 23,129 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm surprised, I thought the ceiling was 900k-ish.

Wonder if there's a few twitchy arses in WWE.

Good number. No competition and the post ppv bump meant the pressure was on this week to draw a strong number and they have. And what did they give away to get that number?

Matt Hardy and Jericho speaking was the only thing I recall being advertised, so nothing huge.

The advertised Kip Sabien angle helped as it teased a possible debut. But it wasnt known who.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Matt Hardy and Jericho speaking was the only thing I recall being advertised, so nothing huge.

The advertised Kip Sabien angle helped as it teased a possible debut. But it wasnt known who.

They gave away nothing, aside from that Miro debut. No hotshotted title match, no big money drawing match they can use at a ppv, no feud enders. Nothing. They put on good shows, they aren't rushing things, they knew the chance was there to draw the million viewers but they played it like any other Dynamite.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I'm surprised, I thought the ceiling was 900k-ish.

Wonder if there's a few twitchy arses in WWE.

Twitching like a rabbits nose I'd say :D

• They introduce a genuine superstar into a marriage angle with two people that look like they're off to their debs.

They gave away nothing, aside from that Miro debut. No hotshotted title match, no big money drawing match they can use at a ppv, no feud enders. Nothing. They put on good shows, they aren't rushing things, they knew the chance was there to draw the million viewers but they played it like any other Dynamite.

Slow and steady wins the race.

AEW are learning from not only other companies mistakes, like TNA in the Hogan era, but they are learning from WWEs own mistakes.

They didn't advertise Miro specifically, nor did they explicitly advertise a debut. I had figured a talent already signed would be the best man.

UnAdvertised surprises like this go a long way to keeping viewership up IMO. You never know what gonna happen. It worked so well for WWE decades ago. You know whats gonna happen in WWE because they tell you, hoping you'll tune in to see. Its counter productive in the long run.

Advertising Keith Lee for example is ok, but they anything can happen in the WWE mentality gets lost as a result. Its damaging in the long run.

And dont even mention the logic in tell us a secret covert group like retrubution are debuting before we know they exist. Its bollox.

Fair play AEW. Make wrestling great again

• Advertisement

There's no rush for Miro. Hopefully they learned their lesson with Archer and Brodie, you shouldn't throw a big man straight into the title picture unless you're willing to give them the belt.

He's a natural babyface, so having Kip turn on him at some point will only be good business all around.

No wrestling competition but some serious Basketball & Hockey competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

All Out was definitely the weakest PPV they've put out, but that was a great way to rebound.

Loved the Miro debut, have to laugh at some of the WWE fans crying online about his shot at the imaginary brass ring, have they forgotten the Huckster and the Nacho Man :D

Getting over a million viewers is a fantastic achievement, delighted for them. As a pro wrestling fan it's great to have an alternative to the sports entertainment of WWE.

All Out was definitely the weakest PPV they've put out, but that was a great way to rebound.

Loved the Miro debut, have to laugh at some of the WWE fans crying online about his shot at the imaginary brass ring, have they forgotten the Huckster and the Nacho Man :D

Getting over a million viewers is a fantastic achievement, delighted for them. As a pro wrestling fan it's great to have an alternative to the sports entertainment of WWE.

An alternative was sorely needed. WWE need a kick up the ass and if they wont provide a decent product, AEW will surely only get stronger.

If your dead sick of WWE, AEW appears to be the solution.

If you want WWE to improve, competition is the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder if they're looking at these numbers and thinking of trying a Friday or Monday for a week

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If your dead sick of WWE, AEW appears to be the solution.

This is 100% me right now.

Omackeral wrote: »
    This is 100% me right now.

Then I urge you and others to support AEW, buy their PPVs, watch their show on ITV or offical YouTube clips.

For years Ive wanted WWE to improve, occasionally they do something great. Mostly its disappointing at best considering the talent at their disposal.

AEW are the closest thing to mainstream competition. Get behind them. So far they have delivered as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Then I urge you and others to support AEW, buy their PPVs, watch their show on ITV or offical YouTube clips.

For years Ive wanted WWE to improve, occasionally they do something great. Mostly its disappointing at best considering the talent at their disposal.

AEW are the closest thing to mainstream competition. Get behind them. So far they have delivered as a whole.

Agreed, I've bought 3 of AEW's so far I think, and one of NWA's. Money talks at the end of the day that's why I got rid of my WWE sub as well.

Or sub to NJPW.

G1 climax is around the corner.

You won't be sorry.

• Advertisement

Miro like Mox can work with NJPW when it doesn't clash with AEW.

Advertisement