Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dontparkhere

In the case of Dunlaoghaire/Rathdown- its the lack of mixture of property that is hitting the market that is having the greatest effect on the achieved prices. The percentage of executor sales of old family homes- is very probably higher than anywhere else in the country in DLR- and while there are some new property sales happening- they are very much in a minority.

Makes sense. I notice a good few 4/5 bed family homes that are essentially being brought back to a shell and plenty on daft that are in need of such. A serious cost to come up with after buying a property.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭tigger123

Any advice for bidding in the current market (North County Dublin area)? Most recent news articles are indicating a decline in market values but from our experience EAs are not closing for anything less than asking price.

ww.independent.ie/life/home-garden/house-prices-fall-2-5pc-across-country-as-uncertainty-over-brexit-hits-market-38474675.html

If you're interested in a property, the recieved wisdom is to bid early and low. That way the EA is supposed to come back to you looking for a counter offer if/when another bid is made.

If you're trying to second guess the EA, the vendor, the economy, and all the factors around Brexit you'll never make a bid on anything. The only certainty is that the future is highly uncertain.

I've bid on lots of places. The only thing I really felt ever worked was a knock out bid made when you're up against a number of other people. But I think you're a bit always from that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

tigger123 wrote: »
    I've bid on lots of places. The only thing I really felt ever worked was a knock out bid made when you're up against a number of other people. But I think you're a bit always from that point.

I think there are too many variables in bidding to just put it down to a single tatic. There are only 2 hard and fast rules, don't get emotional and don't stop looking until the keys are in your hand.

I think there are too many variables in bidding to just put it down to a single tatic. There are only 2 hard and fast rules, don't get emotional and don't stop looking until the keys are in your hand.

Sorry, I should have been clearer; that is literally the only thing that's ever worked for us in very particular situations. I'm not saying it should be a go to tactic by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

tigger123 wrote: »
    If you're interested in a property, the recieved wisdom is to bid early and low. That way the EA is supposed to come back to you looking for a counter offer if/when another bid is made.

If you're trying to second guess the EA, the vendor, the economy, and all the factors around Brexit you'll never make a bid on anything. The only certainty is that the future is highly uncertain.

Well, that depends on how desperate you are to secure the property. I put in a very low starting bid just to get my foot in the door. If you are a cash buyer or mortgage approved, always say so - you are more likely to be kept in the loop. Always ask e.a. how many viewings theyve had and what the current highest offer is.... eg, 2 open viewings or several private viewings and no offers at asking price = will eventually be open to offers under asking. Of course, e.a. could fib, though if you are at a viewing and ask straight out you will get a straight answer most of the time. Always be prepared to walk away.

• Advertisement

TSQ wrote: »
    Well, that depends on how desperate you are to secure the property. I put in a very low starting bid just to get my foot in the door. If you are a cash buyer or mortgage approved, always say so - you are more likely to be kept in the loop. Always ask e.a. how many viewings theyve had and what the current highest offer is.... eg, 2 open viewings or several private viewings and no offers at asking price = will eventually be open to offers under asking. Of course, e.a. could fib, though if you are at a viewing and ask straight out you will get a straight answer most of the time. Always be prepared to walk away.

Good advice. Always ask plenty of questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

Any advice for bidding in the current market (North County Dublin area)? Most recent news articles are indicating a decline in market values but from our experience EAs are not closing for anything less than asking price.

ww.independent.ie/life/home-garden/house-prices-fall-2-5pc-across-country-as-uncertainty-over-brexit-hits-market-38474675.html

Hi there. I bid on my house in 2015. I agree with all the solid boards advice. Don't be emotional about it. Don't be overly paranoid about EA and false bids etc. You can only control yourself. I bid up to the point that I personally could afford and felt was still good value for the house. Someone bid over mine by 2K. I opted out and withdrew my interest. Received a call from EA 2 weeks later saying original bidder was not ready to draw down and owner ( who lived abroad) wanted to know if I was still interested. I said yes but back at my last offer and deal was all done in a matter of weeks. I never cared about other bidders. Have never thought if it was all false bidding etc. I paid what I felt was a fair price and all parties were happy.
    Good luck with everything. Once again.. don't get pulled in emotionally or have ego against other buyers. It's only 4 walls and a roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the figures for the % of 2nd hand homes the councils are buying. Why aren't the council building houses was that not the way it used to be?

Its cheaper to buy than build these days in a lot of areas

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Alicano wrote: »
    Hi there. I bid on my house in 2015. I agree with all the solid boards advice. Don't be emotional about it. Don't be overly paranoid about EA and false bids etc. You can only control yourself. I bid up to the point that I personally could afford and felt was still good value for the house. Someone bid over mine by 2K. I opted out and withdrew my interest. Received a call from EA 2 weeks later saying original bidder was not ready to draw down and owner ( who lived abroad) wanted to know if I was still interested. I said yes but back at my last offer and deal was all done in a matter of weeks. I never cared about other bidders. Have never thought if it was all false bidding etc. I paid what I felt was a fair price and all parties were happy.
    Good luck with everything. Once again.. don't get pulled in emotionally or have ego against other buyers. It's only 4 walls and a roof.

This is good advice. The underlines is key. Don't bit based on what might happen with Brexit or a global recession or any of that because you don't know what's going to happen and you can't control it. Don't overthink things either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

This is good advice. The underlines is key. Don't bit based on what might happen with Brexit or a global recession or any of that because you don't know what's going to happen and you can't control it. Don't overthink things either.

Dont piss off the seller either by all means go in with a lower bid but dont take the pee and have a target you dont want to go over and stick to it. If I were you I would hang on at least 12 months with brexit hitting soon.

Interesting figure there on CSO with the population going up by over 1% in 2018 and 2019 where are all of these people going to live. 56k people coming in a year and myhome showing less than half that figure of property for sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It costs the council 200k plus to build a house, they also need to provide service,s infrastructure ,road,s , streetlight,s , water pipe,s etc
    it,s cheaper to buy house,s from a builder ,
    that has an estate already in the planning process .
    Of course in the 70,s and 80,s the council built 1000,s of house,s .
    2 large social housing apartment blocks are being built in dublin
    .i,m not sure if its for the council or a housing charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭good vibes

Hello there...
    I'm considering buying a home and becoming an owner occupier....& Renting out rooms
    I see on the revenue web page... It says I must just be resident for greater part of the year.. I have a couple of questions

1.what does this mean exactly ?.. is there a time frame ?

2. If I rented an apartment in another country.. ( Europe ) how would this affect me as and owner occupier in Ireland.

3. If I was to live abroad part of the year how would this affect house insurance ?

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

good vibes wrote: »
    Hello there...
    I'm considering buying a home and becoming an owner occupier....& Renting out rooms
    I see on the revenue web page... It says I must just be resident for greater part of the year.. I have a couple of questions

2. If I rented an apartment in another country.. ( Europe ) how would this affect me as and owner occupier in Ireland.

3. If I was to live abroad part of the year how would this affect house insurance ?

Thanks in advance....

You should speak to revenue and get the correct information

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

fliball123 wrote: »
    OwlsZat wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the figures for the % of 2nd hand homes the councils are buying. Why aren't the council building houses was that not the way it used to be?

Its cheaper to buy than build these days in a lot of areas

Houston, we have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

sweetie wrote: »
    good vibes wrote: »
    Hello there...

Thanks in advance....

You should speak to revenue and get the correct information

I’d speak to your accountant before you ask revenue anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Department of Housing heard you liked expensive property, so they've introduced new building regs from November that will tack about 7k (2%) onto the price of a €350k home.

Also, I'd you planned on getting a fixer upper making any changes to the existing structure of the house, you'll also be required to get the house up to an energy rating of B2.

As if renovating a home wasn't hard enough, it renders then completely useless to first time buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The renovation one seems mad to me.
    I'd a quick look but wasn't quite sure the conditions, I heard somewhere it is if you are doing any work that requires planning you must increase the overall BER, although in Irish Times I saw it reported Where more that 25 per cent of the surface of the building is undergoing renovation or an extension.
    I'm all for increasing energy efficiency but for some houses getting them to B2 would cost an huge amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

do this:

BER_factor * sq_m / number_of_occupants = annual_property_tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Sheeps wrote: »
    Department of Housing heard you liked expensive property, so they've introduced new building regs from November that will tack about 7k (2%) onto the price of a €350k home.

Also, I'd you planned on getting a fixer upper making any changes to the existing structure of the house, you'll also be required to get the house up to an energy rating of B2.

As if renovating a home wasn't hard enough, it renders then completely useless to first time buyers.

Article?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Will this effect demand for second hand properties that need a lot of work?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Zenify wrote: »
    Will this effect demand for second hand properties that need a lot of work?

I imagine so- if there is a requirement that any work requiring permission has to bring the BER up to a min B2. Of course if the work doesn't require permission you can do as you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Emmaeva9018

any one have rant a room in London slough .. need a room there have anyone contact me now

• Registered Users Posts: 21,442 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

any one have rant a room in London slough .. need a room there have anyone contact me now
    I have many rants

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/studio-apartments-for-rent/rathcoole/rathcoole-rathcoole-dublin-1953163/

there are actual 20ft shipping containers for rent for 950 a month on daft, a plethora of them.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/studio-apartments-for-rent/rathcoole/rathcoole-rathcoole-dublin-1953163/

there are actual 20ft shipping containers for rent for 950 a month on daft, a plethora of them.

Providing they meet minimum rental standards, and are priced in an appropriate manner- they will be taken. I know when I was younger I'd have been thrilled to have had my own place- basic though it might be. It has electricity and gas fired central heating- and its an all-in price- currently 950/unit- it seems a bit pricey to me- but a damn sight more attractive a proposition that those co-living units in Dunlaoghaire.

Issue here- is location, more than anything else- and of course price- they're too expensive.

Cut the price to 650-700 and you'll have people fighting over these!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do they actually have planning for those?

Trailer parks were common enough in a previous housing crisis (late 60s/early 70s) so there is precedent here.

L1011 wrote: »
    Do they actually have planning for those?

Trailer parks were common enough in a previous housing crisis (late 60s/early 70s) so there is precedent here.

I'd be shocked if they had planning- however, the form factor is such that they can be packed up and stored away, if need be. Given the current housing crisis- goodluck to the councillors who vote to do away with a source of semi-affordable housing units- distasteful though they might be to many.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I expect the councillors to queue up to vote to get rid of them.

Maybe I an too cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Reported that to SDCC. They'll send someone out to inspect it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement