Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

LordBasil wrote: »
    I would not necessarily say bland gets you last place, remember in 2011 Azerbaijan won with the most insipid song of that year.

Well it clearly wasn't, as it got a lot of jury and televotes, even if they did buy a fair few of them.

I'm following the rehearsals feedback without actually watching any clips, apparently the Australian staging is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Can't believe we finished dead last with this banger in 2013. An absolute crime we didn't do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,217 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

correction wrote: »
    Can't believe we finished dead last with this banger in 2013. An absolute crime we didn't do better.

It made the final at least, catchy but it felt so dated.

The real disappointment for me was "playing with numbers" it deserved a lot better IMO, if it was in Eurovision now it would do a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I quite like this years entry.But im looking forward to Madonna on Saturday as the interval

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

dubstarr wrote: »
    I quite like this years entry.But im looking forward to Madonna on Saturday as the interval

Handy $1m circa gig for 15mins or so, guess she has sell those tour tickets, books or something. Hope her ankles/knees don't give way if dancing about, yoga only helps so much, in older years.

Another very recent stunt was her dressing head to toe in black (except for eyes), at JFK.

Either she was mocking a specific dress worn in some middle eastern countries or mocking the womens rights groups she supports...

Or much more likely, saw a few press photographers huddled at arrivals and saw dolla' $igns, chaaa ching!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Handy $1m circa gig for 15mins or so, guess she has sell those tour tickets, books or something. Hope her ankles/knees don't give way if dancing about, yoga only helps so much, in older years.

Another very recent stunt was her dressing head to toe in black (except for eyes), at JFK.

Either she was mocking a specific dress worn in some middle eastern countries or mocking the womens rights groups she supports...

Or much more likely, saw a few press photographers huddled at arrivals and saw dolla' $igns, chaaa ching!

Her tour dates that she has put out are sold out.
    Theres nothing wrong with her ankles or knees.Thats a very catty comment.And the dress i dont know about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

dubstarr wrote: »
    And the dress i dont know about that

The dress stunt looks like a publicty stunt, why choose to wear a burka at an airport, is she supporting it or ridiculing it?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7010427/Muslim-mocking-Madonna-plunged-new-depths-attention-seeking-desperation-time-act-age.html

Anyway she has a new album out, so any publicity is good publicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I notice France have moved up in the odds too after their rehearsal. I read they received a great reaction after their first rehearsal.

I don't like how Sweden have moved up in the odds too. I really don't like it.

I love Italy, Russia and the Netherlands, but am definitely anyone bar Sweden at the moment.

I read somewhere too that Sarah has gingivitis and infected wisdom teeth?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

There’s a report in the Independent regarding Sarah and her gum infection. The poor thing. It’s been tough on her with all the background political noise in the run up to the competition.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

France up to 5th in the odds, quite scary. The song isn't bad but his vocals have always been terrible, so I assume they're much improved. Italy and Switzerland have plummeted a lot in the odds, never really cared about Italy but disappointed for Switzerland.

The Netherlands staging still not great apparently, he just sits at the piano for the entire performance. Really hope they don't ruin a potential win for themselves. Quite scared we'll end up with up another undeserved Swedish win at this stage!

• Advertisement

Every year I make an online bet, in fact it’s the only thing, apart from the odd election, that I place a bet on. Always forget my username/password so I guess I’ll have to reset it again this year. I have always pick the winner/second after studying form and listening to at least a snip of each tune twice. My online account increases ever so slightly each year, as I sometimes throw in a silly bet, maybe out of national pride!

France up to 5th in the odds, quite scary. The song isn't bad but his vocals have always been terrible, so I assume they're much improved. Italy and Switzerland have plummeted a lot in the odds, never really cared about Italy but disappointed for Switzerland.

The Netherlands staging still not great apparently, he just sits at the piano for the entire performance. Really hope they don't ruin a potential win for themselves. Quite scared we'll end up with up another undeserved Swedish win at this stage!
    I think the Swiss song will do really well with the public the guy can sing and is a performer.
    I'd be happy with the Netherlands winning, the live versions I heard are excellent.

I don't think other swedish winners have been undeserved, euphoria is probably one of the best Eurovision songs of all time and heroes was a good winner IMO.
    I do however agree that their song this year would be a very very poor winner, he has a brilliant voice but it's just so safe.
    The France song is poor.

I put a bet on a top 4 for Malta a while back and I am sticking to it.
    I also got excellent odds on a top 10 for the czech republic, its catchy and will stand out a bit, I thought Norway despite being so cheesy would fly up the betting odds but it isn't happening

gmisk wrote: »
    I think the Swiss song will do really well with the public the guy can sing and is a performer.
    I'd be happy with the Netherlands winning, the live versions I heard are excellent.

I don't think other swedish winners have been undeserved, euphoria is probably one of the best Eurovision songs of all time and heroes was a good winner IMO.
    I do however agree that their song this year would be a very very poor winner, he has a brilliant voice but it's just so safe.
    The France song is poor.

I put a bet on a top 4 for Malta a while back and I am sticking to it.
    I also got excellent odds on a top 10 for the czech republic, its catchy and will stand out a bit, I thought Norway despite being so cheesy would fly up the betting odds but it isn't happening

Agree 100% about Euphoria, I was referring to Mans. Sweden are always a contender to win due to their ridiculously inflated jury votes. This year's entry is... grand.

Agree 100% about Euphoria, I was referring to Mans. Sweden are always a contender to win due to their ridiculously inflated jury votes. This year's entry is... grand.
    Heroes is not the best winner to be sure....but what would have been a better winner that year?
    It was a very poor field that year IMO.
    The runner up was a million voices...utter cheesy rubbish.

There is a definite bias recently towards Sweden in juries. Sweden does have a really tough qualification and high standard though, they have had some cracking songs not qualify for Eurovision in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

I for one will be switching off this year , as I do not agree with RTE supporting Isreal's arrogance in staging the competition in what is a disputed location.

Heroes is not the best winner to be sure....but what would have been a better winner that year?
    It was a very poor field that year IMO.
    The runner up was a million voices...utter cheesy rubbish.

There is a definite bias recently towards Sweden in juries. Sweden does have a really tough qualification and high standard though, they have had some cracking songs not qualify for Eurovision in the past.

Amazing how opinions differ, I thought 2015 was a very strong year. I loved A Million Voices and I still listen to it, I think it would've won easily if it wasn't representing Russia. Heroes only came 3rd in the televote, a result which was already inflated due to the staging gimmick, and yet the juries ranked him first with a 104 point margin?!

Agree about Melodifestivalen, in a strong year the Swedes are spolit for choice. The biggest one that got away was Ace Wilder's 'Busy Doing Nothing', I'd love to have seen how it would've fared on the night and whether it could've challenged Conchita.
    yrreg0850 wrote: »
    I for one will be switching off this year , as I do not agree with RTE supporting Isreal's arrogance in staging the competition in what is a disputed location.

Off with you. I'm sure they'll be devastated :pac:

Off with you. I'm sure they'll be devastated :pac:

Irrespective of where it is held, it about time the public realised how RTE is wasting licence fees in taking part in this annual charade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I agree about A Million Voices. I loved it and that girl has a beautiful, strong voice.

I enjoyed a few songs that year also such as as Belgium's Rhythm Inside. I still listen to it.

Don't judge me too harshly, but I loved Golden Boy that year. The Israeli entry. I just love the happy, fun feel to it.

Wiwibloggs are constantly raving about Azerbaijan. It's interesting. I'm not a huge fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,149 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Dan man wrote: »
    Not surprised Ireland is last in the semi-final betting odds. Although we had worse songs, this entry is the blandest by a mile. And bland in Eurovision gets you nul points.

Ryan O'Shaughnessy was in the bottom 3 in the semi betting last year. I wouldn't be paying much attention....that semi on Thursday looks wide open

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

But Tel Aviv is not disputed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

France has moved up to 3rd in the odds!

Sweden is closing in on The Netherlands as favourite. I can't at the thought of that mediocre 'Sister Act' tribute winning, matching our 7 wins record. Hopefully it's just being overly hyped because it's Sweden and will fall short on the night. If, more likely when, Sweden do match our record I want it to be with something epic like Euphoria.

Irrespective of where it is held, it about time the public realised how RTE is wasting licence fees in taking part in this annual charade.
    I would say they waste a lot of money on a lot of other rubbish, I for one really enjoy Eurovision every year.
    Given the quality of acts we have sent I wouldn't say we are spending a fortune comparatively.
    Looking at figures we spent 300k last year.
    That is quite a few hours of television though...it works out at less than the cost of 6 episodes of fair city...I know what I would rather watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

We pay for a TV licence and it's one of a handful of things that we watch on RTE. The Eurovision coverage on RTE is pretty good, a match for the Beeb. We'll be flicking between the two channels on Saturday night, enjoying the show, that's for sure.

Ah, the real reason. Suppose you switched off when the show was held in Azerbaijan & Turkey also?

dogcat wrote: »
    But Tel Aviv is not disputed?

It is being staged in jerusalem.

Aw man

giphy.gif

It's being held in Tel Aviv :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,629 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Isn't the eurovision being held in Tel Aviv this year ? What's disputed about Tel Aviv ? I'm honestly asking as that's not a disputed area of Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_Song_Contest_2019

Please do some basic research before spouting lies just because you think it will fit an agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭timothe

Is it true that maradona is singing for the interval act this year. Can't wait for this

timothe wrote: »
    Is it true that maradona is singing for the interval act this year. Can't wait for this
    Yes apparently so, I am not a fan tbh, but she is definitely a big get for them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭timothe

Yes apparently so, I am not a fan tbh, but she is definitely a big get for them

Hopefully should be better than the disappointing Justin Timberlake performance a few years ago.

Maradona? Madonna obviously although i wouldnt mind seeing Diego up there as well belting out a few

Advertisement