Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Israel has raised the bar far as production goes. Tough act to follow for the winning country next year.

Really, I thought it was bad, no continuity between the presenters, sound and camerawork awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

joeysoap wrote: »
    The ‘professional’ jury’s murdered Norway’s chances of winning.

They did it to Russia previously too
    Really enjoyed the way the vote was done but questioning the jury vote trumping public vote again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Marty was so funny forecasting what way the professional votes would go i.e. countries voting for their neighbours. Most of the time he was on the nail

A pain in the arse is what he was. Rte need to tell him to GTFO

• Site Banned Posts: 297 ✭✭NKante

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Really, I thought it was bad, no continuity between the presenters, sound and camerawork awful

Sound was great for me. I think he was talking more about the staging effects/LED screen, the opening with the flags and the interval acts. I thought it was all spot on, bar Madonna who really needs to retire gracefully.

Xodar wrote: »
    IMO, this is just sad, really really sad...how many of you people are commenting on this thread when there are so many other more real and disturbing issues that are deserving of the interest you show in a totally stupid unimportant arbitrary 'song 'contest'...

The Lovely Girls is more interesting....

Sheep

Yet you're commenting on people commenting on it?

My advice to you would be to go and get yourself a life

• Advertisement

The irish jury gave Germany 2 points! Those idiots thought it was the 8th best song in the final!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

johnire wrote: »
    Where are these results published?

Wikipedia :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Never knew the Swedish singer wrote the UK entry - double whammy for him so lol

Mahony0509 wrote: »

Thoroughly deserved last place too.

Seriously we need to get the finger out and send a proper song. It's not rocket science. A few years ago the likes of Austria, Portugal and Netherlands would've been considered no hopers and now they've all won it! I even remember Netherlands not qualifying for the final for about 6 or 7 years in a row not that long ago.

leahyl wrote: »
    Never knew the Swedish singer wrote the UK entry - double whammy for him so lol

I think this was the song John Lundvik wanted to sing but it wasn't as popular as "Too Late For Love". So the UK essentially chose a rejected song from the Swedish selection process. I'm open to correction on that though as i only heard that this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tornaxx

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    It's the European Broadcasting Union, of which Australia has been apart of for years. That's why we get programmes like Home & Away etc etc.
    Australia is only an associate member of the European Broadcasting Union, but an exception was made to allow them to take part in the Eurovision since 2015. Other associate members like the USA, Syria, Japan, Cuba or China (for example) cannot currently take part in the Eurovision. The only other similar exception was for Kazakhstan to take part in last year's Junior Eurovision (which Australia also enter).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

jeoun wrote: »
    This stupid episode is what made Ireland think of Eurovision as a joke. We are still the country with the most wins but no one would think it with the trash we keep sending (excluding 2018 - Ryan was the exception).

That episode is 1996. Context.

Malmö 1992 Linda Martin Why Me 155 points 1st
    Millstreet 1993 Niamh Kavanagh In Your Eyes 187 points 1st
    Dublin 1994 Paul Harrington and Charlie McGettigan Rock 'n' Roll Kids 226 points 1st
    Dublin 1995 Eddie Friel Dreamin' 44 points 14th
    Oslo 1996 Eimear Quinn The Voice 162 points 1st
    Dublin 1997 Marc Roberts Mysterious Woman 157 points 2nd

We simply couldn't afford to host it again!

NDWC wrote: »
    Thoroughly deserved last place too.

Seriously we need to get the finger out and send a proper song. It's not rocket science. A few years ago the likes of Austria, Portugal and Netherlands would've been considered no hopers and now they've all won it! I even remember Netherlands not qualifying for the final for about 6 or 7 years in a row not that long ago.

I couldn't agree more. So sick of people trotting out the line that it's hopeless. A decent song, with a good singer, which is what the Dutch song was, goes a long way. It is the simplest process in the world and yet RTÉ f*ck it up year after year. It's embarrassing that we are essentially seen as the worst nation in ESC this century. And RTÉ with the likes of Marty Whelan commentating, who has zero knowledge of popular culture or what is relevant these days, and Michael Kealy in charge, they need a good kick up the you know what. A real good one too.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I don't think Sinead Kennedy thanked the hosts or told them it was a great show, just 'here's the votes', but maybe I'm wrong.

As it should be!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

NDWC wrote: »
    A pain in the arse is what he was. Rte need to tell him to GTFO

absolutely!

He's about as funny as a dog with rabies

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Went for 359 pages in 2015, while this is a big thread, it's been dropping since then

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93646608

You know you can go into your profile settings and change number of post per page.

That thread only has 135 pages for me

Go to username in top right of screen, select control panel then "edit options" and in thread display options change to 40 posts per page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭acequion

I was always a fan of Eurovision. And well remember the 80's and 90's and all those great Irish wins. Watched a lot of them abroad as I was away for a lot of those years but remember feeling so proud when Ireland would win.Nowadays it's abysmal from an Irish point of view, we've become perennial no hopers.:(

I wasn't going to bother watching it tonight but I found myself caught up in it and this thread is addictive.:D The voting was brilliant,really tense stuff at the end and I was delighted with the result as I loved the Dutch entry.

A really good song, talented, charismatic singer and great performance on the night. That's all it takes and we used to be good at that. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Seeing the cocky Swedish lad get hardly anything from the public would be a great Gogglebox moment!

Ah I didn’t think he was cocky at all. Much preferred him to previous performers and felt sorry for him in the way the winner was announced.

https://twitter.com/mellowastaken/status/1129893711314341888?s=21

Please to be giving me the Palastine flag

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Xodar wrote: »
    IMO, this is just sad, really really sad...how many of you people are commenting on this thread when there are so many other more real and disturbing issues that are deserving of the interest you show in a totally stupid unimportant arbitrary 'song 'contest'...

The Lovely Girls is more interesting....

Sheep

Oh look, someone can’t stand people enjoying a show or making happy comments...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Isn't Eurovision mad though all the same... We send an entry in the hopes of winning, but then we vote for other countries to win. And then you have a large number of counties who enter but don’t even want to win it really!

acequion wrote: »
    I was always a fan of Eurovision. And well remember the 80's and 90's and all those great Irish wins. Watched a lot of them abroad as I was away for a lot of those years but remember feeling so proud when Ireland would win.Nowadays it's abysmal from an Irish point of view, we've become perennial no hopers.:(

I wasn't going to bother watching it tonight but I found myself caught up in it and this thread is addictive.:D

The Brits and Irish are suffering from the same problem in Eurovision. Also the smaller lesser known countries have upped their game as they can see it's a way to showcase their country. Just as they started to take it more seriously, the UK and Irish went through a period of taking the piss out of Eurovision and spending about 50p on their entries, which Europe doesn't appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Carol25 wrote: »
    Oh look, someone can’t stand people enjoying a show or making happy comments...

It's a troll.

Hatari's student politics was pathetic to be fair. We're all bombarded with politics every day, whether it's Trump, Brexit, Middle East, SJW nonsense or the rise of populists. Eurovision is a break once a year from all that bull****, but increasingly countries are wanting to politicise this.

Hatari are just self-serving as they know their fans will think it's rebellious and cool. They'll probably throw a TV out of their hotel window and think they're being proper legends.

Anyway, that's it for tonight. Enjoyed the show with you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

NKante wrote: »
    The Brits and Irish are suffering from the same problem in Eurovision. Also the smaller lesser known countries have upped their game as they can see it's a way to showcase their country. Just as they started to take it more seriously, the UK and Irish went through a period of taking the piss out of Eurovision and spending about 50p on their entries, which Europe doesn't appreciate.

It’s become so poisonous in Ireland now that no Irish person with talent wants to enter it. The singers and song writers of our entries are either non Irish or reality TV nobody’s!

Fact is - this years entry probably was the best one received and RTE have no interest in making entering it sexy again

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭jeoun

STB. wrote: »
    That episode is 1996. Context.

Malmö 1992 Linda Martin Why Me 155 points 1st
    Millstreet 1993 Niamh Kavanagh In Your Eyes 187 points 1st
    Dublin 1994 Paul Harrington and Charlie McGettigan Rock 'n' Roll Kids 226 points 1st
    Dublin 1995 Eddie Friel Dreamin' 44 points 14th
    Oslo 1996 Eimear Quinn The Voice 162 points 1st
    Dublin 1997 Marc Roberts Mysterious Woman 157 points 2nd

We simply couldn't afford to host it again!

I understand why they made the episode at the time but it annoys me every time people say “we should send my lovely horse”. If I recall, it got null points!

It’s over 20 years since we won and we really should be trying harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,345 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Next year's entry Pat Short singing about a burrito!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Marty was so funny forecasting what way the professional votes would go i.e. countries voting for their neighbours. Most of the time he was on the nail.

The public vote seems to count for more. They voted for a real song rather than the gimmicky ones.

I did love the Australian one though. The tune was very catchy, but not very singable for ordinary voices. Loved the "no gravity effect" on the swaying poles.

I was quite surprised Marty appeared not to know the situation between Armenia and Azerbaijan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

We'll always have the riverdance, pretty bloody decent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The underlying problem as I see it is that we just don’t take the Eurovision all that seriously any more. FFS we entered Dustin the Turkey at one point and were booed by the audience - and rightly so - as that was a clear two fingers to the Eurovision. I don’t think we have been fully forgiven for that.

Our golden years of wins back in the 1990s are a long time ago now and I really think the entire selection process for the Eurovision needs to be overhauled - again. Back to the drawing board. Perhaps RTE should not be involved. Over the past 15 years most of our entries have been very poor and in most cases we didn’t deserve to qualify for the finals.

It seems that we as a nation are not hungry to win and that’s more the pity because in order to win the contest you have to want, really want, to win.

I think the UK are a write-off with Brexit and won’t see Eurovision success for a very, very long time.

Advertisement