Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I did a custom loop a good few years ago. It gets expensive quick but I'd do it again (in something a little less restrictive than a mini ITX case)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, some of the prices for blocks alone were eye-watering! What mini ITX case was it out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Can say that again - I paid just over €1k for the watercooling gear I got. I had it in a NZXT Manta, fairly large by mini ITX standards to be fair but still quite tight

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That time of year where I get itchy for upgrades. Currently running an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and RX 5700 GPU. Have served me well but I've a hankering for upgrades with a new COD and Wow on the horizon.

Currently feeling changing the CPU to the 5800x3d. Looks to be the last big bang on AM4 and from what I'm seeing for folks in Wow it looks impressive. Is a bit on the pricey side so looking to see what else would be more bang for buck from a 3600.

While I'm waiting on independant benches to drop, everything in my gut saying to jump on the Intel ARC A770. Love the form factor and ticks all the boxes for me. Im waiting on GPU prices to get a grip and the Nvidia 3070 is where I was looking, early indicators are ARC hits that spot so if its confirmed might take the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Unusual looking case though. Nice to have something different than a black box!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

100%.

That and if they had priced chips like the 7600X and 7700X 50 quid lower, it would have been a serious blow to Intel. They will definitely milk early adopters though, as they did with the 5000 series and as it looks like they're doing with the 7000 series to a degree

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The 7800X3D will not be released till next year. So deffo will not be released next month when Intel release their chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

I'd be shocked if they didn't make an announcement of announcement of Zen 4 v cache if Intel proves to be competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks I'm having an odd issue with my PC and I can't figure out what's going on. Maybe someone here might have an idea?

My monitors currently set to go to sleep if there's been no activity for 10 minutes, PC is still on but if I click the mouse or tap a key on the keyboard to wake the screen then neither the mouse or keyboard will work again once the screen turns back on.

I normally have to force close the PC to get them working again. Has anyone come across this before? My googling just turns up searches related to the PC going to sleep itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You would need to think of finding ways to isolate whats working, not trying to work out what doesn't work.

What you described is, PC on, screen goes to sleep, you hit a key/mouse etc, screen turns back on, frozen keyboard/mouse.

The first question to me is, is your keyboard and mouse actually frozen? Or is the image on the screen froze.

If you plug and unplug, do you hear a USB unplug sound though the speakers? Try it with a usb key, should show the prompt on the screen for a drive inserted. Then, if you do hear the sounds but see nothing happening on screen, frozen screen it is. Your down to OS/drivers/card/screen. Since you say, "screens", you should rule out the screen part. Then think of using a IGPU, or older GPU if you have one. If its OS, I'd start with a good drive install, checking for firmware updates on the card or monitor/s.

On the other hand, if you do see stuff happening on screen but they are still frozen, do they need drivers? Can you try other usb ports or keyboards/mice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Jon Doe

Did you alter anything in the machine recently? Drivers, Software, Hardware?... is the machine new, old? If old, has dust accumulated enough to be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Does anyone have experience buying from computeruniverse ? Last time I bought a new computer hardwareversand was still a thing so it's a good while ago.

Would prefer to not give amazon any money this time around if I can help it

The download bar was still moving on Battlenet so I wouldn't say the PC was frozen.

I couldn't check the sound last night as the speakers weren't hooked up but I do believe that there was the USB bong when I plugged out the keyboard the last time this happened. I will try with a USB key the next time.

Yes I've two monitors but my CPU doesn't have an iGPU and I've no access to another GPU, just my 3070.

I'll try swap mice but it happens with both my keyboards.

Probably not related but I have had Windows 11 updates the past few days, have you? Just asking as if it's only just happening now something must have changed or maybe just some component on the way out.

still planning until after I see 13900k release / results but at the moment the idea is a 7950x on a proart x670e and then undecided on the gpu. A lot of video transcoding, topaz AI software for upscaling and I want to start working with a lot more 3d stuff in blender and generally just play around with all the real time production things in unreal engine 5.

I had a loan of a laptop with a 12900k and a 3080ti and 64GB of DDR5 for a while and now that it's gone back to its owner I'm back using a xeon e3-1245v5 and an nvidia gt 740 (pulled out of a bin) with 16GB of ecc ddr4 so I'm barely chugging along only able to do really basic stuff in after effects and I get 10 coffee breaks a day waiting for stuff to render.

No I'm still on Windows 10 and I've no outstanding updates.

F**k you amazon charging Irish VAT. I was all set to buy something and got to checkout and I was like what the hell. It's gone up in price. There is still a saving but not as much as I had initially thought so I left it.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

You know the alternatives are: A) they charge you UK VAT and then when it hits our customs they charge you Irish VAT on top of that or B) they refuse to sell to Ireland?

And of course they don't actually charge you Irish VAT exactly, they take an import charge deposit which just so happens to cover the Irish VAT (at least on the sort of stuff we talk about in here, it may include duty for other items) and if it doesn't get picked up by customs (which happens) they refund the deposit so you can occasionally end up paying no VAT.

tldr: I hate Amazon for all kinds of reasons but their handling of VAT post Brexit isn't one of them.

It was amazon germany so no import fees but they did change the price to Irish 23% which screwed me over. As I said above there is still a savings but not as much as it would have been if I lived in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Ooooops, my bad, what I deserve for replying at this hour ;) The underlying point still stands though, they have no choice but to charge Irish VAT as long as they are doing more than a trivial amount of business here. It would be nice if they would display the price they would expect to charge you if you are logged in (from another country) but I'm not sure anyone actually does that?

I'm struggling with vat rates and german/eu retailers at the moment. They are either trying to charge 19% vat or 23% vat, both of which are wrong for business to business. I know that's specifically a b2b issue but some of these retailers won't even deal with non-business. One of them took a day to ask me to send my vat number and he'd put an order together, I replied with the details and silence since.

Another website wouldn't let me create a business account with a vague error and no hint how to fix it. Emailed him got a quick reply explaining what the words were in german as if that was the problem, I said that's not the problem, waited another day and have just sent a list of the items I want for them to please invoice me. 3 hours later now no reply.

Half of the parts are not in stock on various websites or some part is +€200 and throws the whole price off. Amazon is just as bad separate postage charges on individual items even with the prime trial on amazon.de and some of the items are available in 1-2 months.

I know they defaulted and burned some people but I miss hardwareversand. They had every item either in stock or they would back order it, set delivery prices to Ireland and replied to emails. It's a shitshow now trying to buy pc components.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you order something and pay Irish VAT on it can you not just claim it back later? I thought that is how it worked as lots of places that deal mainly with non business customers don't remove the VAT for business customers.

Vat is only a part issue I'm even finding it hard to even get somewhere that has all the items in stock anyway. One just got back to me saying they "don't supply islands" but have Ireland as an option when you're buying.

electronis.de have very few parts I need and no 4090s

caseking half is out of stock and the other half is bad pricing

computeruniverse.net don't reply to emails and their prices were ok but have gone up by hundreds while I'm waiting for them to reply anyway

proshop don't deliver here

I'm going through the shops that come up on geizhals.eu and either one will be missing half the items or somewhere else doesn't ship to Ireland or some other thing. Had a sheet with which suppliers will supply each part and there are still holes unless I'm literally buying piece by piece and getting hit with sometimes 30 euro shipping each time

I had this happen a couple of years ago and I just didn't buy because I thought well if they don't want my money I won't pay it but I really do need a new computer this time

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah I got a few bits last year and even that was a pain. I just went with Amazon because they had the parts I wanted in stock and prices were decent (apart from the CPU but that was pricey everywhere at the time).

edit: My PC was fúcked so I had to upgrade. If I didn't need to upgrade I wouldn't have bothered either

I just got to checkout on cyberport, select country, Ireland, please choose a different country. that's another one off the list even though their FAQ has information about buying from outside Germany.

As far as I know none of the forwarding companies offer insurance more than €1000 either. It's like a full time job trying to just find somewhere to buy from

• Registered Users Posts: 53,907 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I took the plunge and did a clean install of Windows 11 on my PC

I encountered issues with Xbox Game Pass where none of my games would load/work and after so so much fail troubleshooting I did a clean install and i thought maybe ill give Windows 11 ago

I'm not a fan of the Start menu, Taskbar, File Explorer etc, wish they just copy the same from Windows 10

Post edited by Headshot on

Like anything you get used to it. I have it since launch and can't even remember that it used to be different.

What's everyone running RAM wise?

I'm running a 3700X with 3800MHz memory and 1900MHz IF so 1:1:1.

My current timings are below:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,907 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sony are killing it with their PC ports

Uncharted is so good and runs like a dream

Advertisement