Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Center Parcs Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Yep completely agree with the post above.

Dont get the whole “look at me, I’m on a sun holiday for half the money ain’t I great rhetoric” it’s a bit like listening to that one fella in the pub that has done everything you’ve done, has bought everything you’ve bought and went everywhere you’ve went only done it far better and cheaper than you, in other words listening to the local pub dose.

If you want a sun holiday then go for it, I’ve done both with the family and every single time the kids reference CP as their favourite holiday hands down.

Was there for a week at the beginning of July and that’s our third visit and would highly recommend particularly now our kids are older and we’re doing much more in terms of activities etc than our first ever visit pre covid.

Is it pricey, yep it is compared to many other holidays but I can safely say it’s the least stressful holiday I’ve ever had with my kids. It’s not going to be for everyone though but also doesn’t have to be overly expensive if you do it right, we ate out one night and had takeaway one other night, we brought food etc with us for kids dinners mainly and picked up anything else we needed in the parc market for sandwiches and lunches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Following this is both interesting and hilarious, fear that they or their children mix with anyone but other middle-class couples and their children in fact it's not fear it's terror.

Who cares where anyone goes on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I am too, but maybe coming from a different angle.

I'm finding the begrudging coming from the Lanzarote type side.

I just think the holidays are for different folks.

Anyone I know who visited CenterParcs had nothing negative to say of it.

The Center Parcs people will not be the Lanzarote people and vice versa.

Who cares where anyone goes on holidays.

What about the campsite in France types where do they fit in that's what I want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Slightly disagree with this. We've been to Centre Parcs twice now & loved it. Was it a bit pricey, yes but it was what we wanted at the time. We've also been to Tenerife & Lanzarote on holidays those years too but that was because we wanted some sun. To say the Centre Parcs people will not be the Lanzarote people is actually quite narrow minded.

That said, coming on a post about Centre Parcs to solely say "it's overpriced but I'm here in x location on holidays for half the price" isn't really helpful either. I think the reason Centre Parcs is thoroughly popular at the moment is because of not having to deal with the airport to get there. Dump everything in the car & go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I dont think its narrow minded at all. I am responding to the people here bitching and bashing (midge infected field in Longford types) This is effectively a thread to bash middle classes.

Of course people might go to both, but they are not the ones here making a big deal about it.

The people here bashing it as Lanzarote people are not CenterParcs people. That's not narrow minded, its stating facts they are stating themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Problem for most of the whingers is that there's no **** Oirish bar for them to piss away their time like they flock to when abroad.

There are no Irish bars on French campsite and the pool areas are usually fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yes, the pools are great, but you've to get on a ferry and feel nauseous for 18-22 hours, drive another 5 hours on the other side, and the same on the return. We've done that "holiday" a few times, and swore after the last one we would never step foot on a ferry again. The travelling is a nightmare. Or, you fly, and hire a car for a bazillion euro. There's a place for every holiday people want to take, but I'm definitely over that travel.

C'mere, anyone who is in CP at the moment, I have a question. Is the pool-side pizza back yet? When we went for a weekend earlier this year it was still missing, not reinstated post-covid. we have booked a trip later this year, in autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Is the pool-side pizza back yet?

As of two weeks ago, it was not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’d take any of the hols CP, lanzarote, or camping in France but for a short weekend away out of season I find CP brilliant

we have never flown with the children and I’m not very keen to at moment either

• Registered Users Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

can I get some sort of special designation, we are going to cp for the third time later this summer but we also went to lanzarote in March, but here is the rub lanzarote was way more expensive because we went to a really nice resort 😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Anyone who thinks it’s only middle class families at centre parcs will get a bit of a shock I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No that’s not how this works, you tell us you got a family holiday for 2 adults and 2 kids in Spain for 800 euro as you know a thing or two about how to book a holiday, you then for some reason try to insult people or a place because it’s not exactly what you want to do for a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

I’m afraid by my calculations you are worse as you have done both, and paid for a decent resort in lanzarote so obviously have a “middle class chip” on your shoulder,😂😂 now if you had got the week in lanzarote for €300 and paid for Cp in saved butter vouchers it’d be ok! But you’d have to preach how it was the only way you’d go….or at least that’s how it seems to work

I'm getting confused now, I thought it was about CP being expensive thus guaranteeing they wouldn't have to mix with any undesirable.

No-one actually said they wanted this, but you're right, it's a healthy mix of backgrounds

yes, they did if your read back you see comments along the lines of ..because it's full of polite middle-class families there is no roaring and shouting at the pool complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I've never been to CP but wondering has anyone ever been to a place in the UK called " Bewilderwood" ?

They have a place in Cheshire and Norfolk, absolutely terrific place, suspect CP is much bigger and offers more but both set in woods

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

How does this work for the ex pat Brit in post Brexit era?

I don't think Trabolgan ever had Irish investors it was originally established by a Dutch pension fund and is now owned by the estate of the late Trevor Hemmings. I think Pontins were involved previously.

What does a grand get you in Europe this August in terms of family holidays? The last time I looked up CP it was about this for four days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just back from a CP holiday, and I must say it was excellent. Expensive yes, but also excellent.

I had a notion in my head what it would be like, and it exceeded my expectations.

And more importantly, the kids loved it. They said it was their best holiday yet. We did 3 Spanish campsites for 3 years before covid.

Don't get me wrong, they were fantastic holidays too, kids had a ball. But I'm just so glad we were able to drive to this year's holiday rather than run a potential gauntlet of issues with flying. Of course we might have travelled ok, but it's a much longer journey to get you to Spain and home, and kids don't enjoy such travel.

We are already talking about booking CP again for next year. And I am more than happy to do Spain or France again. But suspect OH will pick CP every time.

And finally regarding the cost, as expensive as CP is, I think you get what you pay for. The chalet was top class, and let's be honest trying to live in a 25 x 11ft metal box for 7 or 14 days isn't much craic. And thinking back, I was never close to having a foreign campsite holiday for half the price of what we paid for CP. Nowhere near it.

And didn't see one midge all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Fernagx

Hi,

We've got CP booked next week. I was wondering whether its worth bringing my own bike. We have 2 small kids and have child carrier seats fitted onto our bikes. I was just wondering whether it is worth it or not. Never been to CP before and not sure how big the site is.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

100% bring your own bikes. You can rent them there but by bringing your own you have the freedom to move around the site from the moment you drive in to the moment you drive out without the hassle of having to wait to pick up rented bikes and then drop them back early on the last day.

P.s. you could walk around it. Many people do. But bikes are definitely better. A 15/20 minute walk will be just a 5 minute bike ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Is CP closing down for the recession asking on behalf of D4.

Would say if you have easy access to a bike rack, then bring them, especially if your cabin is further away from the swimming pool and restaurants. Not crucial but nice to have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Depends where your gaff is. If its really close to the centre of the site (pool, shops etc) than you should be fine without, otherwise bring the bike. You will need it for getting about, especially with the small kids. Absolute no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Is it possible to book early check in or late check out? I couldn't find any information from googling (which makes me assume no)

Our toddler needs to nap around midday, it's a shame to have to leave early in the morning so he can get his nap, rather than being able to do it in the lodge then spending the rest of the day in the park. Same on arrival where we'd have to leave after his nap instead of spending the morning there.

(He doesn't sleep in his buggy or anywhere other than in a cot)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You can pay to get in at 3 instead of 4 and no late check out. The cleaners are on a tight schedule so they don’t accommodate beyond that.

I love Kerry, years ago a hotel in Tralee use to do a 3 or 4-night holiday with a fantastic club for children high tea for children, and dinner for parents. I think it was Lynch hotels?

I would say if hotels started doing that sort of thing again they would be a market for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 DavP

Thinking of inviting grandparents on holiday to Centreparcs with us. Both fairly active - golf, walks of an hour plus etc but I can't imagine either cycling. Is it fairly accessible - i.e. 15 min walk to activities? I think they would enjoy swimming pool and perhaps watching some activities but is there anything they could participate in with young children? Any other considerations I should bear in mind?

Advertisement