Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Center Parcs Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Interesting work there....the main problem with the Airport now is they fired all the staff (even though the option was there to keep them) during the pandemic with the intention of hiring back with poor money and 20hr contracts. And then they couldn't even do that and waited till business was back to full swing before they even started hiring.

CP is sh1te money and 20hr contracts and are always hiring, it's a nasty kip. Now fine if you want to support that. So be it. Same with people who shop in Lidl and what they do to staff there. An RTE investigates Ep in one of their warehouses would be a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Paid 650 for 4 nights midweek after Easter, doubt we spent 350 on top for the 4 of us. Kids are young if kids were teenagers it could get pricy with buying extra activities, we only did 2 at 55 each.

I'd pay any money to avoid Dublin airport n a mate was in schipol last week n same craic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,269 ✭✭✭✭fits

I don’t think it’s either or. We’d like to go abroad at some stage but with the airports the way they are and car hire and a child with additional needs and the unknowns at the destination. It’s all a bit daunting. Centerparcs is so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jucko

Lidl Ireland and Northern Ireland joined global brands such as Puma, Heineken and PepsiCo in being awarded a Top Employer for 2021 by the world-renowned Top Employers Institute. It is important to us that all our team members are proud of what we achieve together in Lidl. This achievement underlines our commitment to delivering best-in-class HR practises in People Strategy, Work Environment, Talent Acquisition, Learning, Well-being, Diversity & Inclusion and more.

Dont know what Lidl, or airport have to do with center parcs but....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Odd you say kids don't appreciate it. My 3 year old is still talking about seeing the owls there last year when we went. And the pool. So I'd say he definitely appreciated it & we appreciate the memories it made for all of us as a family.

Why are you suddenly giving out about people "going abroad" though & giving out about not being able to save? Last time I checked Centre Parcs was in Longford & that ain't abroad for Ireland.

Look it's really very simple - go if you want to & can afford it, save up & go, or just don't go but don't begrudge people who work hard & decide to have a holiday in Ireland that is providing employment to a lot of people in what was a bit of an employment black hole in the country. Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Quick question for those that were at centre parcs ..is it worth bringing bikes for myself and wee fella or is it handy to walk around

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭rodmn2377

id say definitely bring them with ya...its so handy spinning around on them...it doesn't matter where you are in the park if you have the bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Cheers yeah think i will bring them alright ...

Looking forward to seeing this place heard so much about it ..pity the weather wont be great

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭rodmn2377

we have been twice and loved it, kids and adults had a great time... would definitely say the bikes are a massive plus to have but you will manage without... enjoy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

If you don’t bring the bikes and think you need one there, they have hundreds there available to hire, all in great condition. For all ages.

We were in Centerparcs the first week it opened, years ago. We went back again for a weekend earlier this year and it’s the same guy in the bike area, same staff in loads of places. The man in the bike area is really helpful, adjusted the brakes and height on a bike we brought ourselves for our youngest, and we hadn’t even hired a bike, we went in to ask could we borrow a spanner. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'd say the bike is a must. The place is quite spread and there's a lot of walking in it. Zipping around on the bike just makes life easier, there are parking spots all over

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

We been twice just back from a week love it there kids do to, what I don’t get is the presumption that it’s a cheap alternative to a foreign holiday, it’s not but it is a great holiday for adults and kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

In fairness I don’t think anyone claims it’s a cheap alternative to anything. In fact most of the narrative is quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,123 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is it best to bring your food supplies with you when you arrive, or is it handier to go and get them once you get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

We went recently, brought some basics like cereal and tea bags, the shop there is like a centra decent range not that expensive at all. Unless you are planning on cooking in every night I’d not be too worried bringing much.

What would be peoples top tips for a 1st time family going to CP for 4 days?

We have bikes sorted.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking:

- Bring extra towels

- Dont bring too many clothes, no need for anything dressy

- Bring food basics with you

- Bring extra swimming gear in case you can't get it dried easily

Is there anything that when you went you thought, " never thought of that wish we had?".

Is there anything the chalet doesn't have we'd need to bring?

We forgot the kids swimming goggles n I remember it was pricey to replace them. There's a super valu 5 minutes drive away so it's no Biggie if u forget stuff. Maybe bring a few Nespresso pods - there was a machine in our chalet. I had it packed up and all the Friday morning thinking it was ours!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭Gusser09

When i go on holiday i dont really want to be doing a shop in the local lidl or aldi. For me it detracts from the experience. Centre parcs is a massive rip off but there isnt any alternative in ireland. A fool and there money as it goes.

• Advertisement

Some of my in laws went to Spain recently, god knows how many hours through airports, 40 degrees in Spain, kids sick due to the heat etc. E2 for a pint of San Miguel though- so all good!

Feck that. In lanzarote at the moment. 26 degrees. Private pool. 14 nights. Flights and accomodation for 4 of us was 3,500. Cheap as chips over here. Centre Parcs is a different holiday i understand that. But the gouging and ripping off in Ireland is on another level in general. 1600 euro for a gaf in strokestown for 2 weeks in August. Rooskey is 2400 for 2 weeks. How much is a day pass into center parks?

1349 euro for 3 nights in Centre Parcs octobet midterm. I assume thats all inclusive?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

And yet here you are on boards instead of enjoying your "better" holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭cagefactor

Inclusive ? :-D, you get your log cabin out in the woods, that's all - no breakfast, no lunch, no dinner - that's all a fortune extra for very average food.

maybe it’s a conspiracy? They only keep the prices expensive to keep the riff raff out?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Imagine comparing a holiday in a resort in Lanzarote with a trip to a field in Longford 🤣🤣🤣

Comical.

CP has its place but let's be realistic it's overpriced rubbish compared to the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭cagefactor

Completely over-priced by about 50%. A cabin out in the midges invested woods in Longford for 200-400 a night without breakfast and then extra ontop for bikes and any activities except the swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

One of the oldest Business Models in existence. I remember having a pint with an English ex Pat in Majorca a few years ago. He had 3 kids under the age of ten who were all fluent Spanish and English speakers. Long story short he had booked an above average expensive hotel on the far side of the island for himself and his family to go to for half a week. He stipulated that he was happy to fork out extra to avoid his kids having to be in ear shot of swearing pre teen English cursing machines whose parents are propping the bar all afternoon. He wanted his kids mixing with middle class Majorcan locals. I can see were he was coming from.

I would imagine Center parks are anxious that it does not become the next Trabolgan. This is the big difference in having an investment from a determined French/UK Multi national who are focused on making the Park a success. This is not the whim of a consortium of Irish Financiers looking for a tax break. It figures, the Brits or the French don't faff around when it comes to actually sticking to the strategy and the plan. If it does not work out heads roll and plan B is initiated until they are back on track.

You can be guaranteed they engaged a price marketing team to establish what the average Irish family is prepared to fork out for a short or long break. Factor in foreign flights and taxi's etc, it is all thrown into their price model based on the families' opportunity cost.

For the record a lunchtime meal and a drink for a family of 5 in somewhere like Dingle 4, Westport or the likes will set Daddy back the guts of a €100 and more. Self catering is viewed favourably.

• Advertisement

I still don’t get the comments on price tbh, for me the price is fairly irrelevant.

if you want to head to Spain for a week fair play go enjoy it, I don’t I’ve traveled a fair bit but that isn’t how I want to spent my holidays with the family,

I’ve been to cp twice and have booked again for next year, I’m well aware for what it cost me this year for the week with food and activities I’d have probably been in Barbados, It doesn’t matter to me, ask my kids they’ll tell you they enjoyed it more than Disneyland,

99% of people who have been that I’ve spoken to would agree with me it’s a great holiday. so I’ll take the log cabin thats 50% too expensive in a midge infested field in Longford.

Advertisement