Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest with Electric Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

audi02 wrote: »
    Just got my 2 nests installed today. I originally had 2 different install dates as I ordered separately to get them both at €130. I was in contact with the installer before he came and he checked with head office and it was ok to install both today.

So far delighted with them but its gonna take a bit of getting used to to find the right location in the house for them and the right temperatures for us. I was disappointed that they couldn't replace the thermostats we already have on the walls so they're still in place but as a previous poster said they have to be turned up to max for the nest to work. Both nests came with stands and google minis. Installer said the stand isnt meant to be included but they all fit them now as they used to end up going back to alot of jobs with them as ppl had no where to hang the nest on the wall. There is also manual buttons installed where my previous clock was so if for any reason the nest stops working we can use them until its fixed. He also took my MPRN number for both nests so not sure would non electic ireland customers get caught out here.

Hope this info helps ppl...any questions?

Hi,

I'm curious as to what level of control you have? You're two thermostats need to be left on - where are your Nests installed? Your heating system sounds similar to mine - thermostat upstairs and downstairs, and hot water all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

Hi,

I'm curious as to what level of control you have? You're two thermostats need to be left on - where are your Nests installed? Your heating system sounds similar to mine - thermostat upstairs and downstairs, and hot water all the time?

So the 2 nest thermostats are plugged in wherever I want, 1 downstairs and 1 upstairs. I can control both of these from the unit itself or from the app. You can also use the google mini or in my case I have alexa already set up so I can ask her to set the downstairs heat to "x" temperate etc.

Then where my previous unit, there is now 2 heatlinks, where I can manually turn on/off the heat. One for upstairs one for downstairs. There is just one button on it, on and off thats it. Im not sure if the hot water heats when we manually turn on downstairs I forgot to ask that.

On the app you can schedule times for your heating and water or you can boost the water also.

Hope this answers your question?

So the 2 nest thermostats are plugged in wherever I want, 1 downstairs and 1 upstairs. I can control both of these from the unit itself or from the app. You can also use the google mini or in my case I have alexa already set up so I can ask her to set the downstairs heat to "x" temperate etc.

Then where my previous unit, there is now 2 heatlinks, where I can manually turn on/off the heat. One for upstairs one for downstairs. There is just one button on it, on and off thats it. Im not sure if the hot water heats when we manually turn on downstairs I forgot to ask that.

On the app you can schedule times for your heating and water or you can boost the water also.

Hope this answers your question?

Thanks for the reply. I've a feeling I don't have enough wires coming from my boiler to the zone valves in order for two nests to work properly. There are spare wires at the boiler, but not visible in the hot press. I'll have to have a good look and see are they visible somewhere where all the pipe work and cables come in.

Thanks for the reply. I've a feeling I don't have enough wires coming from my boiler to the zone valves in order for two nests to work properly. There are spare wires at the boiler, but not visible in the hot press. I'll have to have a good look and see are they visible somewhere where all the pipe work and cables come in.

Sorry I wouldnt have a clue about the wiring. Our clock had 3 zones on it, downstairs, upstairs and hot water and he took that down and replaced it with the nest stuff

Few ppl have asked what clock I had...see pics attached of my old clock and thermostats and the nest heatlinks that replaced my old clock

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Few ppl have asked what clock I had...see pics attached of my old clock and thermostats and the nest heatlinks that replaced my old clock

Hope this helps

That looks very untidy. He should have bought the cables behind the plaster

ted1 wrote: »
    That looks very untidy. He should have bought the cables behind the plaster

Im very happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Im very happy with it

I’m just pedantic, especially when it comes to professionals taking short cuts

I also believe it’s againest code to leave trailing wires exposed

Sorry I wouldnt have a clue about the wiring. Our clock had 3 zones on it, downstairs, upstairs and hot water and he took that down and replaced it with the nest stuff

Yeah my clock only has 1 zone on it, so this is where the problem lies.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

ted1 wrote: »
    I’m just pedantic, especially when it comes to professionals taking short cuts

I also believe it’s againest code to leave trailing wires exposed
    Mine was done in a similar way, but with a switched and fused wallplate with the cable coming out a hole at the bottom left of it... I'm not overly bothered though and happy that at least I have a switch to unpower it handily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Does anyone know if any of these remote heating control systems (nest, climote, other) can work effectively with a 5 zone system (4 heating & water)?

I don't want multiple systems just one integrated one (even if it just did the 4 heating zones say). Surely, this is a pretty standard requirement of these systems!?

daithi7 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if any of these remote heating control systems (nest, climote, other) can work effectively with a 5 zone system (4 heating & water)?

I don't want multiple systems just one integrated one (even if it just did the 4 heating zones say). Surely, this is a pretty standard requirement of these systems!?

I wouldn't think it would be that standard of a requirement...5 zones would be a pretty advanced heating system. I'd assume you could do it with 4 seperate nests, assuming each zone has a seperate motorized valve and wiring is in place for them all.

Somebody who is more of an expert might be able to answer for definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

daithi7 wrote: »

heatmiser + hub, honeywell evohome etc.

If your technically competent then for future proofing you should consider smartthings you could use all sort of sensors, thermostats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

Just got my 2 nests installed today. I originally had 2 different install dates as I ordered separately to get them both at €130. I was in contact with the installer before he came and he checked with head office and it was ok to install both today.

So far delighted with them but its gonna take a bit of getting used to to find the right location in the house for them and the right temperatures for us. I was disappointed that they couldn't replace the thermostats we already have on the walls so they're still in place but as a previous poster said they have to be turned up to max for the nest to work. Both nests came with stands and google minis. Installer said the stand isnt meant to be included but they all fit them now as they used to end up going back to alot of jobs with them as ppl had no where to hang the nest on the wall. There is also manual buttons installed where my previous clock was so if for any reason the nest stops working we can use them until its fixed. He also took my MPRN number for both nests so not sure would non electic ireland customers get caught out here.

Hope this info helps ppl...any questions?

I was hoping someone else could order two.

Did you put different contacts in or slightly different addresses? My second order didn't go through because someone spotted that it was going to the same address.

asharkman wrote: »

Did you put different contacts in or slightly different addresses? My second order didn't go through because someone spotted that it was going to the same address.

No i put the same details on both

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

No i put the same details on both

Lovely, thanks for getting back. I'll try again this evening but leave a bit of a gap between the orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

asharkman wrote: »

I ordered one over the phone but they later refused to give me a second one at the reduced price. So I ordered the second one online and payment went through along with a different install date as the date of the first order wasn't available. They can install them both on the same day or on the separate days, doesn't bother me but if they decide to withdraw the second one or look for more money then both will be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

I have no idea how many zones I have would I have to get in a plumber to check for me?
    I'm totally new to all this.

All I know is that I have a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard and a green kersonse oil tank and burner in back garden and old a timer switch in the kitchen cupboard but I can't set the temperature from that, just turn on heating and water from it my options are on off or set a timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

I have no idea how many zones I have would I have to get in a plumber to check for me?
    I'm totally new to all this.

All I know is that I have a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard and a green kersonse oil tank and burner in back garden and old a timer switch in the kitchen cupboard but I can't set the temperature from that, just turn on heating and water from it my options are on off or set a timer.

More than likely there is no zoning.
    Your timer switch in cupboard will be replaced with the nest heat link.
    The nest thermostat can then be placed anywhere in the house (provided it has power) where you want to have temperature read from.
    Dining room or hallway etc. wherever you spend most of your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Ive scheduled my heat to 20° at 8am.. does anyone know if it turns on at 8am and stays on til it reaches 20° or does it come on beforehand to be at that temperature for 8am??

My understanding is that it learns how long your house takes to heat up, plus also takes into account the forecast outside temp for your location and works out when to turn itself on to be at 20C at 8am. I could be wrong :pac:

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what happens if your home broadband/wifi goes down? Is there still some way to turn the heating on?

(FYI - EI installed my nest yesterday, it was very quick and professional)

cyborg wrote: »
    Do EI supply it with a stand?

They did with my one anyway. I think that in some cases they will install it on the wall where your old thermostat was. My house did not previously have a wall thermostat.

My understanding is that it learns how long your house takes to heat up, plus also takes into account the forecast outside temp for your location and works out when to turn itself on to be at 20C at 8am. I could be wrong :pac:

Yes this was the case and the first mornin my heat was on for almost 2 hours before we got up so that setting had to be turned off as half an hour in the mornin is enough for us.

Ours came with stands. Installer said EI used never supply the stand which resulted in the installers going back to finish alot of jobs so our installer always supplies them now.

We have thermostats on the wall,new build only in it one year and these couldnt be replaced with nest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Yes this was the case and the first mornin my heat was on for almost 2 hours before we got up so that setting had to be turned off as half an hour in the mornin is enough for us.
    Surely then you had the temperature set too high as it should have knocked itself off when it reached your desired temperature?

fletch wrote: »
    Surely then you had the temperature set too high as it should have knocked itself off when it reached your desired temperature?

Ya i had ours set at 22 as the usual temperature of our room is 22 during the day but over night it dropped a few degrees so i have it set to 20 now and it heats alot quicker. Takes a few days to suss out all the temperates/times

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Ya i had ours set at 22 as the usual temperature of our room is 22 during the day but over night it dropped a few degrees so i have it set to 20 now and it heats alot quicker. Takes a few days to suss out all the temperates/times

So have you turned the setting back on?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Does anyone know what happens if your home broadband/wifi goes down? Is there still some way to turn the heating on?

(FYI - EI installed my nest yesterday, it was very quick and professional)

Yes.

The thermostat talks to the Heatlink over a non-wifi direct protocol - I assume Zigbee or ZWave but I don't know. So it doesn't need wifi. Additionally, the button on the Heatlink is a manual on for if the programmer fails.

If the broadband is down but wifi is still working you should probably still even be able to use the app internally, but it won't know the outside temperature and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

My installation for tomorrow was cancelled by Electric Ireland, next avail date is April 19th :-(

L1011 wrote: »
    Yes.

The thermostat talks to the Heatlink over a non-wifi direct protocol - I assume Zigbee or ZWave but I don't know. So it doesn't need wifi. Additionally, the button on the Heatlink is a manual on for if the programmer fails.

If the broadband is down but wifi is still working you should probably still even be able to use the app internally, but it won't know the outside temperature and so on.

Thanks! To be honest I had not realised that that was a button on the Heatlink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyhorse

It's worth logging a complaint with the home services team. I did and was called back by a manager within 24 hours with a sooner installation date

Advertisement