Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest with Electric Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

torrevieja wrote: »
    Is this done from the App

App or website, just look at the schedule and it shows the target temperatures for given times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Originally Posted by adox View Post

Will this work with an old gas boiler? Ours is nearly 20 years old. It’s heats the water automatically when the heating is on. The only way to change this is to pull the handle over at the tank in the hot press so you shut the rads off and it heats the water only.

We had this setup in our old house - it was installed by a very old school plumber. Anyway we got someone else in to sort it out which basically involved a couple of motorised valves and a new controller which gave us independent control of hot water and heating with no need to be pulling handles any more. So probably possible to keep your old boiler but if it's 20 years would be pretty inefficient and probably nearing the end of its life.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Whipping Boy

We had ours installed a few weeks back. Was working fine at the start but in the last week or so a number of our rads are now not heating at all. We have a one zone house.

The device itself is working fine but just wondering if it could be an issue in how the Nest was installed? Has anyone else had a similar issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

We had ours installed a few weeks back. Was working fine at the start but in the last week or so a number of our rads are now not heating at all. We have a one zone house.
    Do you have multi zones? If not, then I can't see how Nest could have anything to do with it, as it's essentially just an on/off switch at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Whipping Boy

No - just the one zone. Yes, that's my thinking - must be something with the system...thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mine is being installed tomorrow morning. Got a text from the installer today confirming it, I told him I had an appointment for the second one to be installed next Monday and if he would be able to install both tomorrow to save himself the trouble of calling back again. He said he is scheduled to install one only tomorrow and has a full schedule for tomorrow so I said grand, works out all the same for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

No - just the one zone. Yes, that's my thinking - must be something with the system...thanks!

Did you try bleeding the rads that are not heating. That's a common cause of isolated heating loss.

Had mine installed this morning. Only needed the one Nest installed in the end as it seems I do only have the one zone despite having a stat downstairs and upstairs. Due to the way my heating system is setup I can not control the two existing stats individually via Nest. So Nest heats all the house at once rather than different temperatures for downstairs and upstairs. That's fine for me as the old thermostat upstair was set at one temperature and rarely ever adjusted from that.

The Nest heat link was put on the wall in the kitchen where the old mechanical timer switch was. Next to this I have an on/off switch for the heating system which remains but needs to be left switched on all the time so that Nest can function which makes sense. He disconnected the old stats in the hall and landing as they are now redundant but I had him leave them in place on the wall for the time being as there would be big holes left where they are. The Nest stat itself could not be mounted on the wall where the old stat is as the stats were connected up to the house circuit which would fry the Nest controller as it works off a lower voltage. I'll remove them myself at a later date once I decide how I want to fill in the holes or get it rewired for the Nest stat to be placed there permanently. EI also supply a cradle stand for the Nest stat which has a usb/mains charger that needs to be plugged in all the time for the stat to talk to the heat link on the kitchen wall. I put the Nest stat up in the main bedroom which seems to be the optimum location to monitor the temperature in the house.

Nest app seems a bit laggy from my phone in the house but adding it to my existing Google Home hub was simple so now have voice control of Nest through Google Assistant. The installer brought the free Google Home Mini with him too when he arrived. I have 3 around the house already so it might come in handy as a present for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Anyone know if you get the Nest can you control Philips Vue lights without a bridge?
    Or any lights without a bridge?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

I’m a bit late to the game here but has anyone recently had luck getting this without changing to EI? The website won’t allow it but I may chance my arm and call tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Just went through the steps there again and the website allows me to go through to checkout and select an installation appointment without being a EI customer. You must be doing something wrong at your end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

mathie wrote: »
    Anyone know if you get the Nest can you control Philips Vue lights without a bridge?
    thanks

You need a bridge to control Hue lights. There are bulbs that don't require a bridge but I'm a Hue user so I can't say for sure which ones.

The free Google Home Mini that currently comes with the Nest from EI is a hub for Google Assistant which can control Philips Hue bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

bazz26 wrote: »
    The free Google Home Mini that currently comes with the Nest from EI is a hub for Google Assistant which can control Philips Hue bulbs.

You still need the bridge for Hue control, AFAIK

blastman wrote: »
    You still need the bridge for Hue control, AFAIK

You could be right.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

thanks

The bigger Alexas have a Zigbee bridge built in so can control Hue/IKEA/many other lights directly, but with a potentially limited set of functions compared to the matching branded bridge. But if you've already gone down the Google route, that's no use.

IKEAs bridge is probably cheapest but least features currently. I've got entirely IKEA for cost reasons, have the entire house done for about half the price of Hue but some stuff is just a tad unreliable or not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

thanks

I have my house kitted out with TP-Link stuff which doesn't require a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ygaurav

Hi All

Can somebody offer me some advice

I have 3 zone system ( 1 water hearing, 1 upstairs, 1 downstairs). Can somebody suggest which option is better for me (Climote or Nest)?

My understanding so far is
    - Climote replaces my timer unit with the smart unit so that I can set heating on and off remotely in addition to the timer function that I already have
    - Nest will replace my downstairs heating thermostat with a smart thermostat and I will keep my heating on from timer unit all the time and control heating using nest thermostat ( keep my water and upstairs heating on the old system)

So I am thinking that Climote is a better option? any suggestion

thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭jayjbe

ygaurav wrote: »
    Hi All

Can somebody offer me some advice

I have 3 zone system ( 1 water hearing, 1 upstairs, 1 downstairs). Can somebody suggest which option is better for me (Climote or Nest)?

My understanding so far is
    - Climote replaces my timer unit with the smart unit so that I can set heating on and off remotely in addition to the timer function that I already have
    - Nest will replace my downstairs heating thermostat with a smart thermostat and I will keep my heating on from timer unit all the time and control heating using nest thermostat ( keep my water and upstairs heating on the old system)

So I am thinking that Climote is a better option? any suggestion

thanks for your help

We had the same in previous house with Climote. Very happy with the setup and it worked flawless. Priceless to be able boost hot water only when coming back from activities.

Have Nest in house now but no zones. If we were to go again would go with climote.

Note, not sure if climote comes with the wireless thermostats by default. Check if they do as these were great if you do not have wired thermostats for both zones.

Climote only replaces your existing timer and requires an annual subscription service for managing it remotely through GSM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

I have a 2 zone heating system with a combi boiler system which heats the water as I need it. Will one Nest be sufficient to control the 2 zone system or will I need two Nests ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

sy wrote: »
    I have a 2 zone heating system with a combi boiler system which heats the water as I need it. Will one Nest be sufficient to control the 2 zone system or will I need two Nests ? Thanks

Two nests needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Nest installed via EI last week. I have a LPG boiler (Ferrolli wall hung system boiler as per pdf manual) that was controlled with a mechanical timer and 2 zones, one stat in the hall the other stat in the main bedroom.

No issue with installation, was told to set both stat's to max and let nest do the rest.

It seems that my boiler is running constantly, and only heating some of the time. So the hum from the boiler is irritating.

When reviewing my account online rather than on phone, I seen an equipment setting that we were running oil, and that this setting could only be changed on the nest itself. When I got home from work and looked at the setting, there are 2 boiler types, system and combi(which it was set to), then options for gas, oil or electric, and then a delivery method which is set to radiators.

I set the boiler type to system with gas heating and all seems well with the boiler, only heating when the set point on the schedule is above the ambient temp seen by the Nest which we have located in kitchen. However, no hot water feature so cold water in the hot taps.

So I change back to combi boiler this evening and now the boiler is running constantly,with the burner light turning on and off.
    Dropped the temperature on the nest to have the heating set point lower than ambient and it still runs. So I eventually turned off the heating via the app.

Is this a normal set-up or am I missing something? Prefer the system boiler and the way it ran but need the hot water also. Is this something that the nest can't/won't do.

I have an immersion as a back-up for water.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Nest installed via EI last week. I have a LPG boiler (Ferrolli wall hung system boiler as per pdf manual) that was controlled with a mechanical timer and 2 zones, one stat in the hall the other stat in the main bedroom.

No issue with installation, was told to set both stat's to max and let nest do the rest.

It seems that my boiler is running constantly, and only heating some of the time. So the hum from the boiler is irritating.

When reviewing my account online rather than on phone, I seen an equipment setting that we were running oil, and that this setting could only be changed on the nest itself. When I got home from work and looked at the setting, there are 2 boiler types, system and combi(which it was set to), then options for gas, oil or electric, and then a delivery method which is set to radiators.

I set the boiler type to system with gas heating and all seems well with the boiler, only heating when the set point on the schedule is above the ambient temp seen by the Nest which we have located in kitchen. However, no hot water feature so cold water in the hot taps.

So I change back to combi boiler this evening and now the boiler is running constantly,with the burner light turning on and off.
    Dropped the temperature on the nest to have the heating set point lower than ambient and it still runs. So I eventually turned off the heating via the app.

Is this a normal set-up or am I missing something? Prefer the system boiler and the way it ran but need the hot water also. Is this something that the nest can't/won't do.

You have 3 zones.

To be right you need another nest for upstairs.

You could keep the existing time clock that you originally used for hot water as I'm sure you could do this separately.
    Use this and set times for hot water.

Use nest for heating and look at getting another for upstairs as having it set at max upstairs makes it call for heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Shouldn't the nest replace the thermostats? Setting both stats to max would mean the system will run non stop. I have 3 zones with two nests installed replacing me "dumb" thermostats. Did they replace your timer with a nest?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ken McCarthy

I had the exact same issue when my Nest was installed but I got the installer to come back and look at it. He changed some setting on how the Nest heats water, the way he explained it he said it was an anti-bacterial setting or something like that. It works as intended now and the boiler only comes on for heat when the temp drops and I have the water on a timer or I can use the boost function.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

I had the exact same issue when my Nest was installed but I got the installer to come back and look at it. He changed some setting on how the Nest heats water, the way he explained it he said it was an anti-bacterial setting or something like that. It works as intended now and the boiler only comes on for heat when the temp drops and I have the water on a timer or I can use the boost function.

That yellow droplet that shows is the boiler heating hot water to prevent legionnaires disease. I think it does it every 2 days. You can switch it off in settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ygaurav

Hi

Small favor to ask from people in this thread who have already their nest installed.

I am due installation tomorrow, is there any tips ? ( I have 3 zone system, 1 for water, 1 for downstairs heating, 1 for upstairs heating) I am assuming the Nest system will just change my downstairs heating to Nest.

Also, any suggested location for where nest thermostat should be placed?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Make sure it's set up that you can still use the original set up to control the hot water.

Just tell them when installing and he should be able to set it up as it's very easy.

The nest will take control of 2 zones you have essentially turning into one until you decide on adding another for upstairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Make sure it's set up that you can still use the original set up to control the hot water.

Why?

The Nest can control the water an the downstairs, remotely if required. why would you not want the Nest to control the water?

Advertisement