Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest with Electric Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    I'm with them but don't do direct debit. Do you have to sign up to direct debit to get it?

If you pay for the price of the Nest upfront then you shouldn't need the direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

Has anyone who ordered 2 (by 2 separate orders) had them fitted yet without any problems or any surprise call to say were charging full wack for the 2nd one? I opted for direct debit for both my orders but only got one letter from them regarding direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,117 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    I'm with them but don't do direct debit. Do you have to sign up to direct debit to get it?

No, I paid by cc over the phone when ordering mine. You only need direct debit if your paying by monthly installments.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

Contacted EI this morning and cancelled my nest order for a climote instead. After doing a bit of searching I think that the nest has too much control over the heating. Call me prehistoric but I like the idea of being in total control of the heating. I like the app idea, and as our times vary coming home, I think that the nest would be switching on constantly. Least with the climote I decide when it comes on and for how long.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Nest can have the learning functions fully disabled if you wish, I have mine off entirely as I work earlies or weekends frequently and then have weekdays off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Same, I have most of the learning features off, I just have a schedule set...what I do love now is that I actually rarely seem to hear the heating on, as most of the heating is done while I'm asleep or out of the house. I have Time-to-Temp and True Radiant enabled so I tell the system when I want my house to be a certain temperature and it estimates based on the temperature of the house (and other factors) how long it will take the heating to reach that temperature and turns on the heating just when it thinks it needs to (you can set this to a value between 0 and 5 hours before). It works very well. My old thermostat was a horrible analogue dial thing and even if you had it set to 21, sometimes the house would get up to 23-24 before the thermostat would knock off the heating, or the heating could dip to 19 before it kicked back in meaning you went from being too hot to too cold. The Nest keeps a much more consistent temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jonnyha

Indeed. I have two Nests and have the learning bit turned off so now I control them myself completely, just like the Climote. Except the Nests look better, are easier to use, can be used with Google Home "Hey Google, turn upstairs on", "Hey Google, decrease downstairs by 2 degrees" etc.
    I've used Climote previously. Nest is far superior.
    I have three zones: upstairs, downstairs and hot water. I also have a stove with a back boiler. No problems at all with my set-up, despite contradictory information from different people in Electric Ireland.
    Does Climote still have an annual charge?
    I would go for Nest if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

jonnyha wrote: »
    Indeed. I have two Nests and have the learning bit turned off so now I control them myself completely, just like the Climote. Except the Nests look better, are easier to use, can be used with Google Home "Hey Google, turn upstairs on", "Hey Google, decrease downstairs by 2 degrees" etc.
    I've used Climote previously. Nest is far superior.
    I have three zones: upstairs, downstairs and hot water. I also have a stove with a back boiler. No problems at all with my set-up, despite contradictory information from different people in Electric Ireland.
    Does Climote still have an annual charge?
    I would go for Nest if I were you.

Did you have 2 heatlinks for the 3 zones?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jonnyha

I do indeed, stamjoe. The EI installer did the lot. Got a free Google mini too.

Why haven't Nest enabled voice control of the hot water? I want to be able to say "Hey Google, turn on the hot water for X mins"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyhorse

I am having Nest installed in a couple of weeks time and am wondering which is the best room in the house to position the thermostat. The living room would seemingly make most sense as it is the room where we spend most time. However, it has a stove so temperature in here often not reflective of temp in rest of house.
    Interested to hear others experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Kitchen ... just keep away from the oven. Good for the motion sensors too.

Have Nest a few years ... great piece of kit! Have it set @ 16 in the morning for an hour ... which is high enough to trigger on cold mornings. 18 in the evenings. Stove in living room does the rest.

The app is great ... especially for pre-heating the house on way home.

Geofencing is hit and miss - wouldn’t bother depending on it.

The thing has defo cut our heating costs too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Couple of questions and apologies if they’ve been answered already:

Will this work with an old gas boiler? Ours is nearly 20 years old. It’s heats the water automatically when the heating is on. The only way to change this is to pull the handle over at the tank in the hot press so you shut the rads off and it heats the water only.

Does the unit that’s installed below the boiler that needs power have to have a dedicated plug socket?(I’ve seen this in some install videos) would be a problem for us as we wouldn’t have a spare one.

Also we currently have our heating set to come on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. We rely on this for hot water also. This is set for all year around so even when the rads are turned off in the summer we still have it set to heat the water. How would the nest affect this if you are setting a constant temperature and it comes on as off as required.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

adox wrote: »
    Couple of questions and apologies if they’ve been answered already:

Will this work with an old gas boiler? Ours is nearly 20 years old. It’s heats the water automatically when the heating is on. The only way to change this is to pull the handle over at the tank in the hot press so you shut the rads off and it heats the water only.

Does the unit that’s installed below the boiler that needs power have to have a dedicated plug socket?(I’ve seen this in some install videos) would be a problem for us as we wouldn’t have a spare one.

That’s exactly the set up I have and I’ve a Climote with an additional thermostat in use. I’ve the thermostat situated between hall and landing and have that set at 20c in the cold weather and 18c then at other times. I leave heating on from early afternoon till about 9pm and it only kick in when temp drops below the 20c. I also find it very handy when we are away and we can switch the heating on an hour or so before we get home from the app. The Climote does not need to be plugged in, it just replaced the old time switch which we had and takes the power from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Adox,

I’d say more than likely. Have you the name of it? If you upgrade boiler plus heating controls there is grants at SEAI website. Should look into it. Also look into a combi boiler, it will give you hot water on demand.

I got my mother in laws gas back boiler changed 2 years ago, changed to a combi boiler and it’s fantastic. No need for cylinder either as it’s hot water on demand. It can supply a bath full of hot water if needed. The only thing to be mindful of is, do you have a shower that’s fed off your cylinder in hot press? Is it an electric shower. If you have no showers then combi boiler might be way to go.

mad m wrote: »
    Adox,

I’d say more than likely. Have you the name of it? If you upgrade boiler plus heating controls there is grants at SEAI website. Should look into it. Also look into a combi boiler, it will give you hot water on demand.

I got my mother in laws gas back boiler changed 2 years ago, changed to a combi boiler and it’s fantastic. No need for cylinder either as it’s hot water on demand. It can supply a bath full of hot water if needed. The only thing to be mindful of is, do you have a shower that’s fed off your cylinder in hot press? Is it an electric shower. If you have no showers then combi boiler might be way to go.

Thanks. Yeah we have a shower fed off the cylinder in the hot press.

Boiler we have at the moment is an Ideal Classic.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Also we currently have our heating set to come on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. We rely on this for hot water also. This is set for all year around so even when the rads are turned off in the summer we still have it set to heat the water. How would the nest affect this if you are setting a constant temperature and it comes on as off as required.

That wont be a problem as you can set the thermostat to whatever you like as when the rads are off so the room temp wont rise so the water will stay on for the duration of your timer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

fletch wrote: »
    Why haven't Nest enabled voice control of the hot water? I want to be able to say "Hey Google, turn on the hot water for X mins"

The hot water function is only on EU Nest 3 models, so its a small subset of the installed base, and really mostly used in the UK and Ireland as combi boilers dominate on the continent. So basically laziness as its such a small number of people who use it

I'd really, really like them to do it so I can tell Assistant to get the water for a shower ready and go back to snooze without having to get out my phone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

mad m wrote: »
    Adox,

sorry to go off topic, but how much is a new boiler generally?

mine is about 15 years old and hasnt been serviced since i moved in 8 years ago!

have nest already but would be interested in a new bolier if not crazy money after the grant

L1011 wrote: »
    I'd really, really like them to do it so I can tell Assistant to get the water for a shower ready and go back to snooze without having to get out my phone :pac:
    I hear...the effort of it! :p:D

• Advertisement

Guys can I ask one more question before I order? We have a basic thermostat in our hallway which just has a manual dial to control the temperature.

Will the installer disconnect this when installing the Nest, which I would need obviously?

I’ve read a couple of threads on the talk to forum for Electric Ireland where they’ve had the Nest installed and the existing thermostat has been left live because the Nest one couldn’t be installed to replace it because of power difference. This more or less renders the Nest thermostat useless though.

Will thy disconnect it when installing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

mine is about 15 years old and hasnt been serviced since i moved in 8 years ago!

have nest already but would be interested in a new bolier if not crazy money after the grant

I got a deal as I knew installer. Think it was 2100 including Labour. Got 450 euro back from electric Ireland as credit because of upgrade and 700 back with Seai grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

I ordered the nest offer online but then read separately about the 200 euro cashback offer. Will I get that too or do I need to specifically ask for the cashback offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I ordered the nest offer online but then read separately about the 200 euro cashback offer. Will I get that too or do I need to specifically ask for the cashback offer?

I was advised on the phone by the agent to initially sign up for the €200 cash back offer, and then 10 days later, when the account was fully activated to order the Nest for €130.

I’ve read a couple of threads on the talk to forum for Electric Ireland where they’ve had the Nest installed and the existing thermostat has been left live because the Nest one couldn’t be installed to replace it because of power difference. This more or less renders the Nest thermostat useless though.

The EI installer wouldn't replace my existing thermostat and left it in place...he just said to leave it on max and let the Nest do all the work...which would have been fine but my thermostat was also connected to a zone valve which allows me to just heat the hot water if the room is up to temperature. It made for a very frustrating situation as I then had no way of just heating the hot water without having to first manually adjust the old thermostat. In the end, I paid another electrician to solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Guys can I ask one more question before I order? We have a basic thermostat in our hallway which just has a manual dial to control the temperature.

Will the installer disconnect this when installing the Nest, which I would need obviously?

We had something similar.
    Our installer disconnected it at the boiler side, but we left the old unit in place to cover the hole.
    We then put the new Nest on a stand in the living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Meant to have this nest installed today between 8am and 1pm. I had a text confirm it on Friday, a text confirm it yesterday and another text confirm this morning but no word yet from an installer.

Im not holding out much hope that hes going to be here before 1.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

We got a22 year old firebird oil boiler replaced with a condensing firebird boiler, moved to a new spot outside, for €2,500

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Getting my Nest installed tomorrow. I also have another Nest unit which I bought myself.

Does anyone who has had it installed think the installer could be convinced to install the second unit also?

I'd pay him obviously, how much would be appropriate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Well they came there and it couldnt be installed despite me having a fairly standard boiler and a thermostat on the wall in the apartment. Installer couldnt have been friendlier and more apologetic but essentially the wiring of the boiler/thermostat was different to what he is used to and I need a plumber to call and break out some sort of switch cable from inside the boiler in order to instal the heat link.:confused:

Unfortunatly the electric Ireland guy wasnt able to do it as he would get in trouble for touching the boiler if something went wrong (despite him assuring me its a simple fix). My issue now is trying to explain that to a plumber.

Sort of annoyed that the installation couldnt be done despite it being an "easy fix". Why cant Electric Ireland send a person that can open the boiler. Surely thats standard when installing a thermostat like

Advertisement