Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

appalling schedules on RTE over Christmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

RTE Christmas is appalling drivel. Mrs Brown's Boys has been on most nights and tonight is bad modern music ringing in the new year and, again, Mrs Brown's Boys. Totally browned off with RTE.

Never seen it.
    Is Mrs Brown's Boys the new Father Ted? Something RTE2 can repeat daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Never seen it.

Father Ted is funny and well made. Mrs Brown's Boys is unfunny and poorly made. Watch a few minutes of it just to see how awful it is. It is the worst thing on TV these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I only watched sport on RTE over Christmas.The excellent Players Of The Faithful documentary about Offaly's great win over Kerry in the 1982 All Ireland Senior Football final,Jayo about Dublin's Jason Sherlock and some of the racing from Leopardstown.This for me was by far the best viewing over Christmas.The rest was rubbish and as I posted previously,I thought it was disgraceful the TV licence ads were on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.Shame on RTE for doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

el_gaucho wrote: »
    There was the Serie A highlights programme on Monday nights for a few years in the early 90s.

Bought in from channel 4 I think? I remember it tho, was good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Never seen it.

The episode of Mrs Browns Boys airing tonight is a new episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Mayb we should all cheer up,the Six One set is getting a new makeover for 2019.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Jay Zee

At least RTE don't show the same program on both channels at the same time, the chase was one 2 channels at the same time on virgin media over Christmas,

I only watched sport on RTE over Christmas.The excellent Players Of The Faithful documentary about Offaly's great win over Kerry in the 1982 All Ireland Senior Football final,Jayo about Dublin's Jason Sherlock and some of the racing from Leopardstown.This for me was by far the best viewing over Christmas.The rest was rubbish and as I posted previously,I thought it was disgraceful the TV licence ads were on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.Shame on RTE for doing this.

Yes, that's about the best of a lot of it. Most of the films I have on DVD so no need to watch on RTE. I think the only times I would turn on RTE 2 is to watch a match or The Handmaid's Tale.

Of course, it is disgraceful showing those TV tax ads on those 2 days. Speaking of Handmaid's Tale, these inspectors are like the Eyes of Gilead going around scaring people into paying a fee to fund the artificial 'stars' and their lavish lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I can never recall such hopeless TV choice over Christmas holiday period across not just RTÉ TV but across most of the below major broadcast channels too.
    I have to agree. I found myself watching mostly old nostalgia-fest programmes - The Sweeney, The Professionals, Old Grey Whistle Test and other BBC4 or Sky Arts music stuff, Creedon on the radio.

The only good thing that RTE have done this season is Ireland's Fittest Families - great family viewing with great role models for kids. I'm surprised they haven't sold this format internationally, as it would transfer very well.

The country is too small for two big chat shows each weekend. They struggle to get decent guests for one show, let alone too.

I can never recall such hopeless TV choice over Christmas holiday period across not just RTÉ TV but across most of the below major broadcast channels too.

I wonder if the lack of investment was a strategic decision to conserve funds if commercial advertising revenue is forecast to drop even further (as already in decline anyway) with the serious prospect of "hard" or "no-deal" Brexit coming up on 29th March next which will effect tv markets in UK & Ireland jurisdictions. There was little or nothing new on offer on most tv channels. Will we get the same saturation of holiday flights that are usually heavily plugged at start of January each year. Brexit could be problematic for flights to/from UK and promotions in the lead up to 29th March and beyond so travel advertising may not feature as prominently given the confusion in the travel industry. Less advertising revenue expected will lead to more repeat programming across all networks or possible cutbacks/closures too. Netflix, Amazon prime and Online digital advertising have already made major dents on established broadcasters, newsprint media, magazine publications etc;

RTÉ One
    RTÉ 2,
    VM One,
    TG4,
    VM Two,
    VM Three,
    BBC One,
    BBC Two,
    BBC Four,
    itv,
    Channel 4
    e4
    More4
    4seven
    itv2,
    itv3,
    itv4,
    Channel 5
    etc;

TV is getting worse and worse every Christmas. I think when Mrs Brown's Boys and all that reality TV junk took hold, TV has deteriorated bigtime. Thankfully, there have been good drama series made mostly in America and the UK. So I can watch DVDs of Breaking Bad, Handmaid's, Love/Hate, The Sopranos, etc. instead of the junk that is served up mostly featuring a foulmouthed man dressed up as a woman.

The remaining days of Christmas between today and Sunday will be dominated by more Mrs Brown's Boys repeats just you wait and see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Ireland's Fittest Families celebrity special was on there tonight. It is not a bad programme at all. Well done to Donnacha O'Callaghan's team on winning the €10k for their chosen charity. The documentary about Pope Francis visit to Ireland was good there on RTÉ One tonight. The films that were on Christmas were OK. I liked watching the remake of The Jungle Book on Christmas Day. Stars Wars The Force Awakens was good too although I didn't watch all of it. The only bit of sports coverage that I watched during Christmas was The RTÉ Sports Awards 2018.

Tonight's programmes for ringing in the New Year have been brutal in the last few years though. I wonder what will happen on Kieth Barry's New Year show tonight. I don't know why that show is pre-recorded before tonight's New Year's Concert in Dublin. They should have the concert on tonight instead to bit a of music to ring in the New Year.

Ireland's Fittest Families celebrity special was on there tonight. It is not a bad programme at all. Well done to Donnacha O'Callaghan's team on winning the €10k for their chosen charity. The documentary about Pope Francis visit to Ireland was good there on RTÉ One tonight. The films that were on Christmas were OK. I liked watching the remake of The Jungle Book on Christmas Day. Stars Wars The Force Awakens was good too although I didn't watch all of it. The only bit of sports coverage that I watched during Christmas was The RTÉ Sports Awards 2018.

Tonight's programmes for ringing in the New Year have been brutal in the last few years though. I wonder what will happen on Kieth Barry's New Year show tonight. I don't know why that show is pre-recorded before tonight's New Year's Concert in Dublin. They should have the concert on tonight instead to bit a of music to ring in the New Year.

A lot of good films were on but I have all the Bond films, the Indiana Jones and the Star Wars, etc. on DVD but yes all these are good films and can be enjoyed. The problem with the concerts is they are all featuring bands singing original material I do not find to be melodious. The only alternative RTE seem to have is Daniel from Donegal but zero oldschool blues-rock and so on.

BUT .. by far the biggest problem to Christmas TV is Mrs Brown, she's Mrs Brown, our Mrs Brown, it's Mrs Brown, that's Mrs Brown, the queen of Dublin town, Mrs Brown. Saw 5 minutes of it earlier and I can say it has NOT improved!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I only watched sport on RTE over Christmas.The excellent Players Of The Faithful documentary about Offaly's great win over Kerry in the 1982 All Ireland Senior Football final,.
    Seriously get over it !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

NYE film choice: Devil Wears Prada or Meet the Fockers.
    I'd rather watch reloops of The Angelus.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I have to agree. I found myself watching mostly old nostalgia-fest programmes - The Sweeney, The Professionals, Old Grey Whistle Test and other BBC4 or Sky Arts music stuff, Creedon on the radio.

The only good thing that RTE have done this season is Ireland's Fittest Families - great family viewing with great role models for kids. I'm surprised they haven't sold this format internationally, as it would transfer very well.

The country is too small for two big chat shows each weekend. They struggle to get decent guests for one show, let alone too.

I know absolutely nothing about this kind of thing but what would stop some other broadcaster doing a 'similar' show?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

PCeeeee wrote: »
    I know absolutely nothing about this kind of thing but what would stop some other broadcaster doing a 'similar' show?

I don't know much about it either, but I would imagine that the same copyright laws that prevent copying of a piece of music or a piece of software or a drama would apply. I recall this case from a few years back

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bainisteoir-idea-was-looneys-says-judge-154816.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Mrs. Brown's whatever.

Every friggiîng time I turn on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

I haven't watched rte for years, plenty shhhit on satellite freeview, expectations are at a major low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Mayb we should all cheer up,the Six One set is getting a new makeover for 2019.

I am curious how the makeover will turn out although; I think it will take more to get me tuning in regularly again. Both presenters are excellent in their respective presenter roles to be fair although; if RTÉ had of promoted two male anchors to co-present Six One News (after Brian & Sharon had moved on) I suspect it may have received much criticism for removing one gender. I feel Six One News had a better balance when you had a male/female partnership. Even if the female became lead anchor in a female/male it would still allow for more balance than the current status quo. Whenever two males occasionally presented Six One when Sharon or her female predecessors were off duty in past it used look unbalanced too. What would be wrong with 50:50?

Of course RTÉ is unusual in one sense given that BBC News and ITV News only seems to use one anchor presenting their main news programmes these days. I think Sky News may have also dropped down to one anchor in studio too unlike the format it had adopted in it's earlier years.

dense wrote: »
    Mrs. Brown's whatever.

Every friggiîng time I turn on the box.

I had the misfortune to see a tiny bit of it last night but there is no doubt Mrs Brown's Boys is the worst junk on TV in recent years. Clever comedy or drama it is not. It has no laughs to be the former or no story to be the later. Even now, those who still watch it in its entirity say the crudeness and vulgarity is also gone out of it which means it will no longer satisfy that audience. BBC have it on again tonight and RTE are showing more of it tomorrow and Thursday too.

• Advertisement

As we move into the last few days of Christmas, RTE's appalling schedules are not improving. Mrs Brown's Boys continues to be shown. More of her tonight and again tomorrow .... for god's sake, enough is enough! Then, there is drivel like Ireland's Fittest Family and Celebrity Home of the Year. As we move to the tail end of Christmas, we are given hints of what to expect between now and Easter: Dancing With The Stars on Sunday and its spinoff Can't Stop Dancing shown on Friday. Expect Room to Improve and Dragon's Den to make an appearance as well. Very little here to entice one to switch on RTE.

They make a big deal then advertising their Christmas schedule and now are doing the same for that Dancing thing. That bloody thing goes on forever too: 2 hours every Sunday for about a quarter of the year (first Sunday in January to last Sunday in March if I recall correctly). Its sole purpose is to push more RTE employees at us. They will even have the nerve to show it on St Patrick's Day too (which is on Sunday this year) along with more Mrs Brown's Boys just you wait and see! Expect to see more Alison Spittle as well. Nothing to look forward to on RTE WRT home produced stuff. It is time to give us something other than reality drivel and Mrs Brown's Boys. This woeful TV is what we are paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I didn't think it was the worst. Daniel didn't play out the year on TG4, and that was follow by Van Morrison.

Nothing of note on Virgin Media (a repeat of the earlier GN show).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Re RTÉ - I have never found Brendan O'Carroll very funny. Good for him and the rest if Mrs Brown's Boys is doing well, but it is not for me

Re the schedule - fine with hurling and James Bond

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Summer of hurling (3 x 1 hour programmes) on RTE 2 tonight. Love hurling, but ... 3 hour repeat matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

honeybear wrote:
    Summer of hurling (3 x 1 hour programmes) on RTE 2 tonight. Love hurling, but ... 3 hour repeat matches?

Is the GAA paying for it? Or is it just cheap filler programmes for RTE.

I only watch RTE for news, current affairs and the odd documentary they do.

Everything else is supplied on other channels or Netfix.

The Late Late is total drivel. I think the talk show format is slightly extinct now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Is the GAA paying for it? Or is it just cheap filler programmes for RTE.

I only watch RTE for news, current affairs and the odd documentary they do.

Everything else is supplied on other channels or Netfix.

The Late Late is total drivel. I think the talk show format is slightly extinct now.

I think RTÉ is really up against it with competition from all sides so I know it's no easy fix as they would have certain commitments & obligations such as supporting the arts like the orchestras, Irish language etc; which other broadcasters like Virgin Media Ireland, Sky's Irish opt-out channels would not necessarily have.

However; they need to look again at the whole way they do chat shows. There is too much time spent on plugging products, replaying tv viewer competitions over & over again within the same show broadcast, in-house guests that frequently get too much airtime with little or nothing to warrant such prime time exposure. Not sure if The Late Late Show or The Ray D'Arcy Show should continue to go out live as they need serious editing as there is insufficient quality material worth watching. Graham Norton said that his own show would never work if it was broadcast live as they edit the show and viewers only get to the see the best bits which is probably why it works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Ray D'Arcy Show could start to be pre-recorded, TLLS will always be live.

I thought the Summer of Hurling was a documentary series and I happened by it last night and it was a studio based highlights show.

You'd wonder why RTÉ wouldn't have repeated it on NEWS NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Mrs Browns Boys is awful awful shyte. Poor production value, **** acting and terrible jokes. Badersnatch on Netflix, Westworld box set and Freesat UK satellite tv for me over the Xmas period. Briefly watched the Keith Barry New Years show for the lols but immediately went back to Freesat once the Irish celebrations were over

fxotoole wrote: »
    Mrs Browns Boys is awful awful shyte. Poor production value, **** acting and terrible jokes. Badersnatch on Netflix, Westworld box set and Freesat UK satellite tv for me over the Xmas period. Briefly watched the Keith Barry New Years show for the lols but immediately went back to Freesat once the Irish celebrations were over

Mrs Brown's Boys is the most awful thing ever. It is poor in every way possible. I remember watching RTE comedy like Val Falvey TD in the immediate pre-Mrs Brown's Boys era and considering it poor. Well, these series were masterpieces compared to Mrs Brown. They were set on location and were professionally made at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

fxotoole wrote: »
    Mrs Browns Boys .... Poor production value,

. Well, these series were masterpieces compared to Mrs Brown. They were set on location and were professionally made at least.

So when do either of you think the rot set in the BBC production staff .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement