Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

appalling schedules on RTE over Christmas

Options
  • 20-12-2018 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Wall to Wall Summer of hurling, James Bond and Harry potter

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wall to Wall Summer of hurling, James Bond and Harry potter

It's not much better in any other channel.

Sky, Netflix etc seemingly have bought up the rights to any films they want, and RTE etc al are left with slim pickings, reruns , awful specials and yearly reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Weepsie wrote: »

Sky, Netflix etc seemingly have bought up the rights to any films they want, and RTE etc all are left with slim pickings, reruns, awful specials and yearly reviews

If people used their brains and kept their money in their pockets and didn't subscribe to Sky or Netflix. The world would be a better place.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Would it?

I remember six channel land. I remember holidays in two channel land. I remember an RTE that didn’t start up till 2pm in the afternoon (or later), aired imports in prime time on RTE1, and was just as dependant on a previous generation of stars as its current version is on the current generation. Where the only live GAA was the All Ireland finals and semi finals, the only live Rugby was the Five Nations and there wasn’t a whole pile of live football either (and La Liga or Serie A was something you might occasionally read about in the newspapers).

This complaint comes up nearly every year, and Netflix and Sky aren’t to blame for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

who watches RTE any more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

icdg wrote: »
    Would it?

I remember six channel land. I remember holidays in two channel land. I remember an RTE that didn’t start up till 2pm in the afternoon (or later), aired imports in prime time on RTE1, and was just as dependant on a previous generation of stars as its current version is on the current generation. Where the only live GAA was the All Ireland finals and semi finals, the only live Rugby was the Five Nations and there wasn’t a whole pile of live football either (and La Liga or Serie A was something you might occasionally read about in the newspapers).

This complaint comes up nearly every year, and Netflix and Sky aren’t to blame for it.

No live rugby apart from 5 nations is an awfully long time ago as autumn tour internationals with Ireland facing a major touring team have been covered live by RTE as far back as 1960's afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Rté Rocks.,.......
    Build a bridge and gei over it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I'd be shocked if anything we pay too much for in this country was anything but a steaming pile.

We don't pay for programming we pay for huge salaries for bland, underwhelming presenters. And also, I'm told, an orchestra or something.

If that's true, I want the option to have any rte programming replaced by a stream of the orchestra playing by pressing a button on the remote. Cuz I never get to hear em. I reckon I would press that button often. Tuba > Tubridy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I do. I look at 5 or 6 hours of TV a day and around 95% of it is RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Patww79 wrote: »

Well...in that case you watch 70% foreign content?..:)

NSAman wrote: »

I doubt that very much. I'll occasionally watch E4 but Sky One is a waste of time and I really need to cancel Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Home and Away, Dr Phil and Doctors now made in kerry

NSAman wrote: »
    Hoboo wrote: »
    Home and Away, Dr Phil and Doctors now made in kerry

I can understand someone not watching RTÉ if they don't want, but do some of you honestly have a problem with others watching it if they want? Not understanding the smartarsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I doubt that very much. I'll occasionally watch E4 but Sky One is a waste of time and I really need to cancel Netflix.

Your reply to someone saying you watch 70% foreign content. They meant on RTE, not other channels. No smartarsing, more confusion than anything.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Your reply to someone saying you watch 70% foreign content. They meant on RTE, not other channels. No smartarsing, more confusion than anything.

No confusion, I know what they meant. I'm not though, same as I'm not watching it during the day to see Dr Phil or Doctors either. I very very much doubt I'm watching 70% foreign content in the evenings either but I must have missed the camera they have in my living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

icdg wrote: »
    Would it?

There was the Serie A highlights programme on Monday nights for a few years in the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Each to their own, it seems like a dreadful waste of time. You must see an awful lot of repeats.
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-reviews/pat-stacey-rte-is-showing-20-repeats-today-why-are-we-paying-160-a-year-for-this-31428735.html

The point was missed by those who chose to nitpick, I fear.

To maybe summarise it in a different way - the RTE of today is not the much worse version of the RTE of the past that the OP chose to paint, and in some ways its a lot better. And those saying that two or six channels is better than 500 should maybe remember what things were like under two or six channels before they give out about content that would never have been on RTE in the first place being “poached” from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭facehugger99

My condolences.

And if you looked at the ratings thread, you’d see that most of the top ten linear TV programmes watched are on RTE (9 of the top 10 in the last set of data published) and the highest of them attracted in excess of 380,000 viewers.

But you know, who needs facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

Who watches live tv anymore, I'm more I wanna watch x y or z, and pick for myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭political analyst

Weepsie wrote: »

Sky, Netflix etc seemingly have bought up the rights to any films they want, and RTE etc al are left with slim pickings, reruns , awful specials and yearly reviews

Anthropoid was on Neflix but it will be on RTÉ 1 next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

What is RTE?😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The Summer Of Hurling is an odd and lazy decision to fill 11 hours of prime time telly with 11 replays of hurling matches from this season.
    An hour review would have been more than enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Jay Zee

They are showing some 007 movies at 9am this week, this is the earliest ever time I have seen bond on Terrestrial TV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

For first time in ages I did not buy RTE Christmas TV guide. Apart from some sport and RTE News I rarely watch anything on either RTE1 or RTE2 these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I can never recall such hopeless TV choice over Christmas holiday period across not just RTÉ TV but across most of the below major broadcast channels too.

I wonder if the lack of investment was a strategic decision to conserve funds if commercial advertising revenue is forecast to drop even further (as already in decline anyway) with the serious prospect of "hard" or "no-deal" Brexit coming up on 29th March next which will effect tv markets in UK & Ireland jurisdictions. There was little or nothing new on offer on most tv channels. Will we get the same saturation of holiday flights that are usually heavily plugged at start of January each year. Brexit could be problematic for flights to/from UK and promotions in the lead up to 29th March and beyond so travel advertising may not feature as prominently given the confusion in the travel industry. Less advertising revenue expected will lead to more repeat programming across all networks or possible cutbacks/closures too. Netflix, Amazon prime and Online digital advertising have already made major dents on established broadcasters, newsprint media, magazine publications etc;

RTÉ One
    RTÉ 2,
    VM One,
    TG4,
    VM Two,
    VM Three,
    BBC One,
    BBC Two,
    BBC Four,
    itv,
    Channel 4
    e4
    More4
    4seven
    itv2,
    itv3,
    itv4,
    Channel 5
    etc;

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Many multiples of those who watch Sky and Netflix combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I would agree that this Christmas the line up across all channels was poor. Very few decent programs on any of the sky channels, but I have found TV in general very poor the last 6 months anyway and have often struggled to find something to watch.
    Netflix seems to be on the rise while the main stream channels struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Jay Zee

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Many multiples of those who watch Sky and Netflix combined.

It's a drip drip annual decline tho for RTE, the mrs brown's boys Christmas day episode had 300k less viewers than a couple of years ago. the late late show, Saturday night show and rose of Tralee are all declining year on year. Where will they be in 10? 15? years time ? They don't have any new ideas but keep flogging the same ****e to death

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

RTE Christmas is appalling drivel. Mrs Brown's Boys has been on most nights and tonight is bad modern music ringing in the new year and, again, Mrs Brown's Boys. Totally browned off with RTE.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement