Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1,000 marchers march against Gardai in Castlerea, Roscommon

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

rossie1977 wrote: »

What we do know is that two local men (who btw were innocent of any crime on that particular night) were badly beaten up and hospitalized.

This one particular guard who has a history of violent conduct in Dublin before being transferred to Castlerea.

I guess we should take your word for all this because, you know, you were there yeah? And of course your accusation about the guard as well because, again, you were there yeah?

The lack of understanding of how rural Ireland works just boggles the mind.
    !

I live in ‘rural Ireland’. The fact you think somehow things work differently to the rest of the country is what boggles the mind.

Again, all we know is 2 men and a guard ended up in hospital after an incident. I think i’ll wait for GSOC to investigate, rather than the vested interests who signed onto boards just to spread the ‘innocent citizens’ narrative.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

I think the problem with the people who were replying at the start of this thread is that there are so many protests these days and a lot of the time just for the sake of it.. The people who want everything and pay for nothing and their friends who are just anti-everything. In opposition for the fun of it.

Which means when there is a protest that needs to be heard, everyone is skeptical and this shows in the comments here. The boy who cried wolf sort of scenario.

It would be great if the actions of the Gardai concerned were discussed (Is it being investigated?) but tarring them all with the same brush is unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

klaaaz wrote: »
    Nothing to do with republicans, it's dissidents as per dictionary definition. Those who publicly dissent against the actions of a state authority(who in this case are their representatives or agents)
    Read the links about what Ming has said and also read what a couple of posters who live locally in the area said stating their version of events which contrasts with the Garda statement released back then on the incident.

Totally inappropriate use of the word dissident in this case.

Ming didn't have much to say about it from what I can find out.
    His own website has links to the Sun article and the Irish Times article.

I will await a final report/ court case to find out what the truth is.

Have you a connection to the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Hedgehod55

I guess we should take your word for all this because, you know, you were there yeah? And of course your accusation about the guard as well because, again, you were there yeah?

Take his word for what? He hasn't said exactly what happened between the two men and the guard. He's only said the two men didn't commit a crime, which isn't disputed by even the guards. One of the men is related to the shop-owner who had his shop burgled. Use common sense.

The guard involved does have previous. If you're expecting this to be put on headed paper by AGS for your own records, you'll be waiting a while.

I live in ‘rural Ireland’. The fact you think somehow things work differently to the rest of the country is what boggles the mind.

Again, all we know is 2 men and a guard ended up in hospital after an incident. I think i’ll wait for GSOC to investigate, rather than the vested interests who signed onto boards just to spread the ‘innocent citizens’ narrative.

The guard in question does not have extensive injuries. You can believe what you want, but the two men in question came away with brutal injuries. The guard did not.

There is more information at play here that I'm not going to post. Hopefully it will all come out in the washing with the GSOC investigation, as you said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭pablo39er

Nothing to do with republicans, it's dissidents as per dictionary definition. Those who publicly dissent against the actions of a state authority(who in this case are their representatives or agents)

Whether we agree with other peoples personal opinions or not, since when were members of the public who go on legitimate peaceful protests to be termed "dissidents" ?

What's next, calling people who don't vote for the government "dissidents" ?

What is this country now, the third reich or something ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Hedgehod55 wrote: »
    Take his word for what? He hasn't said exactly what happened between the two men and the guard. He's only said the two men didn't commit a crime, which isn't disputed by even the guards. One of the men is related to the shop-owner who had his shop burgled. Use common sense.

The guard involved does have previous. If you're expecting this to be put on headed paper by AGS for your own records, you'll be waiting a while.

The guard in question does not have extensive injuries. You can believe what you want, but the two men in question came away with brutal injuries. The guard did not.

There is more information at play here that I'm not going to post. Hopefully it will all come out in the washing with the GSOC investigation, as you said.

'not going to say any more'

Why not, you've said it all.

You seem intimately familiar with the area and with this case.
    Do you have your mind made up already, it seems that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I dont believe that either of these two guys has a record. One is 37, the other 67. Nor do I believe that people would march against a cop who beat up a known dangerous criminal. Occam’s razor would suggest that the policeman is at fault here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

GSOC? They are like the HR dept. in your employer. They are not there to protect employees/citizens, they're there to protect the company/gardai.

'We investigated ourselves and found we did nothing wrong'. is their usual motto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Read the links about what Ming has said and also read what a couple of posters who live locally in the area said stating their version of events which contrasts with the Garda statement released back then on the incident.

Could you please point us at the dictionary that defines "dissident" as this? Or are you just citing from your own internal dictionary that is customised to your agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Garda having a bad time in Roscommon anyone have anymore info on what happened here?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/hundreds-protest-in-castlerea-over-men-s-alleged-assault-by-garda-1.3733223

dissidents is a bit of a loaded term in an Irish context no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Any chance we can get the title of this changed as it appears that a good cross section of the community were represented at this march. It was worded in a way to suit the OP's world view and is not accurate at all.

gandalf wrote: »
    Any chance we can get the title of this changed as it appears that a good cross section of the community we represented at this march. It was worded in a way to suit the OP's world view and is not accurate at all.

Title should read:

"1,000 citizens march against Gardai in Castlerea, Roscommon"

or is that too close to the facts and not "click baity" (99% sure is not a word) enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

pablo39er wrote: »
    Whether we agree with other peoples personal opinions or not, since when were members of the public who go on legitimate peaceful protests to be termed "dissidents" ?

What's next, calling people who don't vote for the government "dissidents" ?

What is this country now, the third reich or something ?

A lot of thought goes into spin from the media unit.

People who engage with state services are now described as "customers" and those who dissent from the party line are dissenters.

Orwell would be flattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

The town hasn't been this united since the campaign against gay marriage.

Roscommon voted democratically against gay marriage and they were perfectly entitled to do so, albeit by a very close margin, just like many other constituencies voted FOR it by a similar margin.
    If you have another agenda take it elsewhere, this thread has a different/unrelated topic.
    I'm not from Roscommon BTW and voted FOR gay marriage.

Title should read:

"1,000 citizens march against Gardai in Castlerea, Roscommon"

or is that too close to the facts and not "click baity" (99% sure is not a word) enough

No, the title should read:

"1,000 citizens march in support of members of the community in Castlerea, Roscommon."

As has been pointed out before, this was not a march against the gardai. As much as you'd like to, you don't get to decide the motive for the march.

The two lads were grossly misrepresented in the media, it was suggested they were criminals or up to no good, which is not true.

Hedgehod55 wrote: »
    No, the title should read:

"1,000 citizens march in support of members of the community in Castlerea, Roscommon."

As has been pointed out before, this was not a march against the gardai. As much as you'd like to, you don't get to decide the motive for the march.

The two lads were grossly misrepresented in the media, it was suggested they were criminals or up to no good, which is not true.

Are you aiming this at me?

I was merely making the point that "citizens" was more representative than "dissidents". I didn't create the thread, or make any outrageous statements about the marchers or the motive.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

washman3 wrote: »
    Roscommon voted democratically against gay marriage and they were perfectly entitled to do so, albeit by a very close margin, just like many other constituencies voted FOR it by a similar margin.
    If you have another agenda take it elsewhere, this thread has a different/unrelated topic.
    I'm not from Roscommon BTW and voted FOR gay marriage.

And the point about being the county “being united” aswell as being flippant and utterly irrelevant is actually wrong!
    Along with Cavan/Monaghan and the Donegal Constituencies (all 3 of which had close Yes wins), Roscommon actually had a tight vote, 52:48 No !

Are you aiming this at me?

I was merely making the point that "citizens" was more representative than "dissidents". I didn't create the thread, or make any outrageous statements about the marchers or the motive.

Apologies I think I misinterpreted your post.

Advertisement