Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1,000 marchers march against Gardai in Castlerea, Roscommon

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

You're confused about what this thread is about.

Anyway, if people won't leave the banks house, all that's left is to drag them out.

As for not knowing the back story, sure when is that required before having a rant?

Is this not about Castlerea? The bank repossession is a completely different story in a completely different town in Roscommon, no?

Another thread on this, really?

Although the numbers have gone up to 4 figure now since the march. The lore is building.

There's a picture in the Irish Times link if you want to have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The gardai weren’t accused of brutality in the house repossession. Just not doing anything afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Scarlett for his supporters.

An article from 2014? lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Thats from 4 years ago - Ming Flanagan is currently third best of the Irish MEPs for voting (Brian Crowley still doesn't give ****):
    https://www.votewatch.eu/en/term8-voting-statistics.html#/#18/0/2014-07-01/2018-08-01//

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Its a valid point. The lad probably ends up over in europe off his tits on hash and missed more than 80% of the votes as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Its a valid point. The lad probably ends up over in europe off his tits on hash and missed more than 80% of the votes as a result.

'Monged' the Merciless.

It's not, Ming's reasons were explained. At the moment he has one of the better attendance records

It's not, Ming's reasons were explained. At the moment he has one of the better attendance records

And his reason was:

'Ultimately for me, my family comes first. I think that’s the way society should be structured anyway'

I wish i could not bother my hole going to work because i wanted to put my family first. :rolleyes:

I wish i could not bother my hole going to work because i wanted to put my family first.

Your article was from 4 years ago, anything current?

• Advertisement

Your article was from 4 years ago, anything current?

Are you smoking dope too?? The point stands, hombre.

Are you smoking dope too?? The point stands, hombre.

It doesn't, your point is four years out of date. Try harder lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

pearcider wrote: »
    our unelected Taoiseach is busy tweeting on nights out with celebs.

Pretty sure he is an elected TD by the people, and elected Taoiseach by the peoples representatives (TDs)....not that he just wandered over to the Dail one day and said hes gonna be the new guy in charge.

Anyway, if people won't leave the banks house, all that's left is to drag them out.
    Sure....but surely this should be carried out by law enforcement officials rather than extra-judicial 'heavies'??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

One of his family was ill

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Ming's wife wasn't well in 2014 and stayed at home to mind his children. What a bad bad man. Very good voting record now. Whataboutery Level 2.

As regards the topic seeing as it hasn't been explained properly you can't really know what went on but for the size of the crowd that turned out i'd hazard a guess the garda wasn't well liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

And his reason was:

'Ultimately for me, my family comes first. I think that’s the way society should be structured anyway'

I wish i could not bother my hole going to work because i wanted to put my family first. :rolleyes:

If your wife is seriously ill, and your job won't give you time off to mind your children then your job is sh1te and is nothing to brag about...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ming is a bit of a hero to malcontents and those in a permanent state of dissatisfaction with life in general. Shipping him off to Brussels with his collection of scratchy wool jumpers was one of the best things the electorate ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I'll bet they all marched after reading about the "news" on Facebook.

Says the guy posting on boards.ie

Ming is a bit of a hero to malcontents and those in a permanent state of dissatisfaction with life in general. Shipping him off to Brussels with his collection of scratchy wool jumpers was one of the best things the electorate ever did.

The pint man will be along soon to agree with you I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

gctest50 wrote: »
    Great they could all get the day off at such short notice

Trust me there aint much work in rural Roscommon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thanks After Hours for teaching me absolutely nothing useful about the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

The march was just as much about the news stories the mirror and the likes ran "garda fought for his life"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

daheff wrote: »
    Pretty sure he is an elected TD by the people, and elected Taoiseach by the peoples representatives (TDs)....not that he just wandered over to the Dail one day and said hes gonna be the new guy in

He wasn’t elected Taoiseach by the people. He didn’t lead his party to victory and never will. The guy is a sleaze. Only cares about photo ops. I remember he was with Joan Burton to open a new school in a socially deprived area. She was so gracious compared to him while he sulked on his phone until the time came for photos whereupon he jumped up and put his fake smile on. He’s so fake. Can’t stand him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Was elected first in his constituency in one Oireachtas election and topped one European election vote
    Must be doing something right

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ronan Raven and Shotgun Dave have it right. In a nutshell, two innocent men, one actually a relative of the burglary victim were battered by a Garda who went 'robocop'. One lad very badly injured.
    Allegedly 'robocop' has signed himself in suffering from 'mental breakdown'.

What isn't in dispute by almost all in Castlerea is that these men are innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

As someone from the area maybe I should explain what happened from what I have been told.

A small shop was robbed in the town last week so the gardai were on the look-out throughout the town for the culprit(s). At around 1am they stopped two local men who they suspected of being the suspects.

One of the men was returning home from his birthday party, the other was actually the nephew of the shop owner. Obviously a scuffle or argument broke out and the two men were badly beaten up by the Gardai. The man whose birthday it was has been in and out of hospital since with seizures and has been told he will never drive again..he worked as a bus driver.

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

gctest50 wrote: »
    Exactly, they just went for a stroll after mass.

Didn't really give up anything now did they ?

Make up your mind. Is it they are work shy or not as invested as you'd like?
    What would you have them do for your approval?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Hedgehod55

rossie1977 wrote: »
    As someone from the area maybe I should explain what happened from what I have been told.

A small shop was robbed in the town last week so the gardai were on the look-out throughout the town for the culprit(s). At around 1am they stopped two local men who they suspected of being the suspects.

One of the men was returning home from his birthday party, the other was actually the nephew of the shop owner. Obviously a scuffle or argument broke out and the two men were badly beaten up by the Gardai. The man whose birthday it was has been in and out of hospital since with seizures and has been told he will never drive again..he worked as a bus driver.

<snip>

I registered to post the same thing. The man suffering from seizures also has two broken jaws from what I have heard. The other man (the shop owner's relative) was also badly beaten, I have seen first-hand evidence of this.

These men are harmless and are well-liked and respected in the community. The march was also in support of these two men - it was not a march against the Gardai as has been reported. Obviously there is some overlap as people are disgusted by this Garda's actions, but there is a distinction.

The people who marched are ordinary, decent people who wanted to show support to two members of the community. There's more information that I won't get into but I have no doubt that these two men did not deserve what happened to them. Posters taking shots at people for being from rural areas in order to validate their own superiority should take a long look at themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

rossie1977 wrote: »

since with seizures and has been told he will never drive again..he worked as a bus driver.

🙠That is awful. A decent bus driver too. Know him for years from back home there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Hedgehod55 wrote: »
    I registered to post the same thing. The man suffering from seizures also has two broken jaws from what I have heard. The other man (the shop owner's relative) was also badly beaten, I have seen first-hand evidence of this.

These men are harmless and are well-liked and respected in the community. The march was also in support of these two men - it was not a march against the Gardai as has been reported. Obviously there is some overlap as people are disgusted by this Garda's actions, but there is a distinction.

The people who marched are ordinary, decent people who wanted to show support to two members of the community. There's more information that I won't get into but I have no doubt that these two men did not deserve what happened to them. Posters taking shots at people for being from rural areas in order to validate their own superiority should take a long look at themselves.

That is absolutely shocking.

Fair play to the people who marched to raise awareness of this.

I take back my earlier blithe comment.

Advertisement