Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1,000 marchers march against Gardai in Castlerea, Roscommon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Ming is a bit of a hero to malcontents and those in a permanent state of dissatisfaction with life in general. Shipping him off to Brussels with his collection of scratchy wool jumpers was one of the best things the electorate ever did.

You were so much funnier when you were talking about sex and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

That is absolutely shocking.

Fair play to the people who marched to raise awareness of this.

I take back my earlier blithe comment.

Yes fair play to them indeed. A few more need to take back their comments especially the 2nd post on this thread from GarIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's a real comment on the way society is headed that you had to add 'ordinary decent people'. Things are gone the way now that if you're protesting something some people automatically assume you're neither normal, nor decent. It's the people out marching got us the rights some take for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Hedgehod55

It's a real comment on the way society is headed that you had to add 'ordinary decent people'. Things are gone the way now that if you're protesting something some people automatically assume you're neither normal, nor decent. It's the people out marching got us the rights some take for granted.

Indeed. You have the likes of seamus on page 2 suggesting that rural communities are easily riled up without the facts. The irony is lost on him as he's the one that hasn't the slightest clue about this incident but still had the arrogance to think he knows it all. And brings in a completely unrelated event from Kerry ten years ago to back up his point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Hedgehod55 wrote: »
    Indeed. You have the likes of seamus on page 2 suggesting that rural communities are easily riled up without the facts. The irony is lost on him as he's the one that hasn't the slightest clue about this incident but still had the arrogance to think he knows it all. And brings in a completely unrelated event from Kerry ten years ago to back up his point.

Your posts have made him and others look like total ignorant fools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

It's a classic tactic by the ruling parties FFG and their supporters in suppressing dissent. Alot of the media is in the hands of a certain billionaire who is a friend of certain politicians. They can't control social media like they do with the traditional media.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats some pretty serious stuff there. When I read that there was 500+ protesting in a small rural town I knew something was amiss. People in Ireland are respectful of the job Gardai do so for the entire town to come out and protest against them shows a level of anger for what happened the injured men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

klaaaz wrote: »
    It's a classic tactic by the ruling parties FFG and their supporters in suppressing dissent. Alot of the media is in the hands of a certain billionaire who is a friend of certain politicians. They can't control social media like they do with the traditional media.

A lot of dissenting comments are immediately deleted on this website and similar ones. You won’t get far appealing to the moderators either. They know what side their bread is buttered on. Certain views are promoted and others are sidelined and suppressed. It’s obvious that governments would wish to control the narrative online just as they do in the established media. Google, Facebook and YouTube have all admitted they do the same generally suppressing conservative opinion and promoting liberal agendas. Hollywood has been doing it since the 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Hedgehod55 wrote: »

Dont be too hard on seamus he appears to suffer from a complusion where he absolutely must comment on every thread.
    It must be a terrible affliction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I don't think people should take the comments posted in AH too seriously as most people post tongue in cheek in this section.

I will add that the Gardai and the local population of Castlerea and surrounding area have always had an excellent relationship. The murders of John Morley and Henry Byrne by the INLA is something that the town won't ever forget. So it's not a rural population rising up against law enforcement as one poster put it.

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    I don't think people should take the comments posted in AH too seriously as most people post tongue in cheek in this section.

I will add that the Gardai and the local population of Castlerea and surrounding area have always had an excellent relationship. The murders of John Morley and Henry Byrne by the INLA is something that the town won't ever forget. So it's not a rural population rising up against law enforcement as one poster put it.

What would you say it is then? Is it a case of locals expressing that in this particular instance they are appalled and are drawing a line in the sand kind of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

What would you say it is then? Is it a case of locals expressing that in this particular instance they are appalled and are drawing a line in the sand kind of thing?

I wasn't part of the protest so I can't speak with total confidence but I suspect people were very angry at reports on national radio and newspapers over the past week that the men in question attacked the Gardai, painting them as thugs.

Reports like this likely prompted alot of the anger https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/garda-responding-burglary-call-roscommon-13730592

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

What a surprise.

Its never ending with this corrupt shower. They're only too happy to batter a few innocent men and ignore real criminals. Yeah, proper salt of the earth types our police force are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

rossie1977 wrote: »
    As someone from the area maybe I should explain what happened from what I have been told.

A small shop was robbed in the town last week so the gardai were on the look-out throughout the town for the culprit(s). At around 1am they stopped two local men who they suspected of being the suspects.

One of the men was returning home from his birthday party, the other was actually the nephew of the shop owner. Obviously a scuffle or argument broke out and the two men were badly beaten up by the Gardai. The man whose birthday it was has been in and out of hospital since with seizures and has been told he will never drive again..he worked as a bus driver.

<snip>

Thank you for posting the facts.

GarIT wrote: »
    Two men attacked a guard when he tried to stop them to question them. The guard fought back and 700 people went out to march because Roscommon is backwards as ****.

1407944655011-dumb_post_109172039073.jpeg

What a surprise.

Its never ending with this corrupt shower. They're only too happy to batter a few innocent men and ignore real criminals. Yeah, proper salt of the earth types our police force are.

After what happened Macabe is anybody surprised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Just looking at the crowd tells you somethings up. Not the usual rent a mob of lefties or republicans. No flags, no signs. All ages.

By the way isn’t it interesting how much support of the police there is from people who are otherwise liberal or centrist in their postings.

If the police act thuggish they should be held to account - the very basis of a lawful society is that nobody is above the law.

GarIT wrote: »
    Two men attacked a guard when he tried to stop them to question them. The guard fought back and 700 people went out to march because Roscommon is backwards as ****.

If this was the 1950’s Alabama and the men were black and the police man white this kind of post wouldn’t be out of place at a meeting of the KKK.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If the police act thuggish they should be held to account

I agree. This case seems a bad one.

However, let's not pretend we don't have a problem with the judiciary in the country either.

This is why people might turn a blind eye to scumbags (who otherwise should be locked up) getting the odd hiding.

Do I care that Anto with a hundred + convictions free to roam the streets who commits an armed robbery, for example, or mugs elderly people gets appropriate treatment from gardaí?

Not really.

However, let's not pretend we don't have a problem with the judiciary in the country either.

This is why people might turn a blind eye to scumbags (who otherwise should be locked up) getting the odd hiding.

Do I care that Anto with a hundred + convictions free to roam the streets who commits an armed robbery, for example, or mugs elderly people gets appropriate treatment from gardaí?

Not really.

Or two decent men walking home from a party?

• Advertisement

Or two decent men walking home from a party?

Exactly what I am saying. The gardai should be held to account for that.

Not really.

From what I read these two guys have no previous.

The judiciary do have a lot to answer for. You are right. Barely fit for purpose.

Exactly what I am saying.

I can't answer that one for you.

I don't mind scum getting the stuffing knocked out of them but my point is when you have a PROVEN LYING CORRUPT police force the innocent will get it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Not really.

It goes on all over the place and regularly. This isn't one isolated incident.

Ive been pulled over and had my van trashed by them twice.

Was walking back home from a night out years ago with mates and we were stopped by a garda patrol car and searched, questioned for about 10 minutes (aggressively) and told not to be seen doing it ever again (walking home apparently?).

Not one of us has or had ever had any record of any description.

There's way too many of them get away with this crap. GSOC couldn't care less.

Any time one comes near me now the phone is out straight away. I'd prefer that wasn't the case but I've to put my own safety first.

I can't answer that one for you.

I don't mind scum getting the stuffing knocked out of them but my point is when you have a PROVEN LYING CORRUPT police force the innocent will get it too.

The gardai should be held to account for this incident. Nobody is going to argue there.

The gardai should be held to account for this incident. Nobody is going to argue there.

Except for the PROVEN LYING CORRUPT police force we have.

Is that station I would be safe to say all his colleagues are lying scum not one of them spoke up about the lying Mirror story nor have any of them given any support to the protesters.

One bad apple my eye.

Except for the PROVEN LYING CORRUPT police force we have.

I'm trying to make the connection between this and the role the judiciary refuses to carry out because that judiciary is also corrupt and acting hand in glove with solicitors to keep criminals out of prison and the solicitor fees coming in.

There are a lot of decent gardai who are literally wasting their time every day of the week.

It's disgraceful.

This is all connected. It all points to a corrupt system that does not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Liberals leftists are just other worlds for arsehole hypocrites in my opinion.
    When I see Sinn Fein supporters I just know they are all hypocrite scum how can anybody who supports a mafia be caring?

There's literally a picture of Luke "Ming" Flanagan there though? Or is he not "leftist" enough for you?

After Hours and the Americanisation of European politics is ****ing hilarious I'll give you that.

• Advertisement

I'm trying to make the connection between this and the role the judiciary refuses to carry out because that judiciary is also corrupt and acting hand in glove with solicitors to keep criminals out of prison and the solicitor fees coming in.

There are a lot of decent gardai who are literally wasting their time every day of the week.

It's disgraceful.

This is all connected. It all points to a corrupt system that does not work.

I agree with your point in bold as for a lot of decent Guards do you mean like Maurice McCabe?

Funny how none of these so-called decent gardai gave him any support.

Advertisement