Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight's fights 15/12 (Katie Taylor/Canelo/BT Card)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If she had any kind of punch this lass would be gone...

Usual Taylor performance. Most shots not really landing, but her speed and feet always too good. Nice worker inside when she commits. Beautiful combinations..

The women’s boxing reminds me of the tennis....don’t ever make it 3 min rds...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Blanco100 wrote: »
    is main event next?

Still three more fights before the main event

Had Ryan Garcia fought yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

No she doesn’t have punches packed with power, but then again she’s a female lightweight fighter, what else should we expect really? Never saw her getting overpowered either, maybe the French Olympic gold medalist would be a threat if or when that fight comes to pass.

3 minute rounds would help her, 2 minutes doesn’t help to truly develop a round.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    The women’s boxing reminds me of the tennis....don’t ever make it 3 min rds...

Already 3 minutes in the amateurs so don’t see why the pros won’t follow at some stage.

No she doesn’t have punches packed with power, but then again she’s a female lightweight fighter, what else should we expect really? Never saw her getting overpowered either, maybe the French Olympic gold medalist would be a threat if or when that fight comes to pass.

3 minute rounds would help her, 2 minutes doesn’t help to truly develop a round.

But what extra would she do from minute 2 to 3? Same repetitive punching is all you’ll get..an extra 10 minutes overall domination...time wasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

All three judges 100-90

Says it all really, a mismatch but some lovely stuff late on from Taylor.

Already 3 minutes in the amateurs so don’t see why the pros won’t follow at some stage.

I know. Been at many of them in the national stadium. It’s painful.

Had Ryan Garcia fought yet?

On next, then Sadam Ali, then Tevin Farmer then main event

• Advertisement

Morrison J wrote: »
    On next, then Sadam Ali, then Tevin Farmer then main event

Sound. Just checked...he’s 100-1 on, so let’s hope these fights y in..

Farmer 50-1 on and Ali 10-1 on...

Canelo could be in the ring by 2.30

pac_man wrote: »
    They'd get more tired, which leads to more knockouts.

Running order:

Garcia-Rodriguez, Ali-Herrera, Farmer-Fonseca & Canelo-Fielding.

Yes, but with Taylor what kind of KOs? Girls being tickled onto the ground in exhaustion...

But what extra would she do from minute 2 to 3? Same repetitive punching is all you’ll get..an extra 10 minutes overall domination...time wasting.

Not going to do much different obviously but just more of a chance to wear an opponent down. 2 minutes feels very short in the ring to me anyway.

Katie impressed me more tonight than previously...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I was quite impressed with KT tonight. First time I am willing to be convinced that perhaps she has improved since the amateurs.

Not going to do much different obviously but just more of a chance to wear an opponent down. 2 minutes feels very short in the ring to me anyway.

I get that...

But relating to Katie, I think the issue is that we should be seeing her in more competitive fights as opposed to an extra minute of her doing the exact same thing...

I don’t want to see 30 mins of that...20 mins is enough...

More tough and competitive fights, and believe you me, the 2 mins may suit Katie more. I get that she looked fit tonight, but that can look that way when your opponent is in no way a threat...

Katie’s stamina in a fight against someone really good and physical? 3 mins may not be ideal..

Not knocking what Pete and the high performance guys did for her, but think she has a truly world class set up behind her now and it’s really showing in her performances. All those US camps can’t but bring her on further, not sure what else is really out there but I doubt any of them could be half as well prepared as Katie Taylor.

You'd hope that with the longer rounds, there's less pressure to be looking for the knockout. Punch resistance is tested more along with mental resilience. There's a big difference between 2 and 3 minute rounds.

There is a difference...

Just relating to Katie and her style and her clear lack of power, I don’t see any real want for it...she’s not overly patient to begin with. Frenetic enough...and she is the same for all of the 2 min rds...

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Taylor is fighting tomato cans
    I'm sure she is making a decent wage but unfortunately the standard is just so poor at women's pro boxing. She'll never be able to make it as a PPV star like McGregor or mayweather.

• Advertisement

I get that...

But relating to Katie, I think the issue is that we should be seeing her in more competitive fights as opposed to an extra minute of her doing the exact same thing...

I don’t want to see 30 mins of that...20 mins is enough...

More tough and competitive fights, and believe you me, the 2 mins may suit Katie more. I get that she looked fit tonight, but that can look that way when your opponent is in no way a threat...

Katie’s stamina in a fight against someone really good and physical? 3 mins may not be ideal..

Sure. I wouldn’t get overexcited by what I saw tonight. She did what she had to do and looked good doing it, that’s all. But she fought a world champion so it was another step she had to take on the way to bigger and tougher assignments. I guess the proof of it will come against some of the other bigger names mentioned in dispatches. The French gold medalist will be the big one sometime next year I would guess.

Taylor is fighting tomato cans
    I'm sure she is making a decent wage but unfortunately the standard is just so poor at women's pro boxing. She'll never be able to make it as a PPV star like McGregor or mayweather.

McGregor or Mayweather? Your in no danger of setting the bar low for her anyway;)

I think for a few fights she was a little bit slower and concentrating more on sitting down on her punches. I don't think that suits her.

Likewise, I don't think the 3 minute rounds suit her but given her level of opposition, she can probably get away with it at the moment. I'd love to see her in with Natasha Cameron.

Chantelle Cameron I take it you mean? Or Natasha Jonas, think she fights at a different weight and don’t think good enough. Cameron would be a decent opponent though.

That was some intentional/deliberate low blow..

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Chantelle Cameron I take it you mean? Or Natasha Jonas, think she fights at a different weight and don’t think good enough. Cameron would be a decent opponent though.

Chantelle Cameron is the real deal & I can guarantee Katie would be way more cagey should they meet.
    Katie looked great tonight. I have been quite critical of of her partnership with Ross Enamait in the past, mainly because it didn't look like she was adapting to pro style under his tutelage. I'm not convinced either after tonight. Wahlstrom was out of her depth.

Natasha Cameron :D. Yep Chantelle has a nice pro style and has looked good so far. Maybe throw in Estelle Mossely in 18 months time.

I’m guessing the imperative would be to take Persoon before giving challengers like Cameron a go and get the whole thing sewn up. Must admit Mossely is the one that scares me, looked very powerful and aggressive in rio, a style made for pro game. Think they’d be happy to hold off on that one for a good while anyway.

Cameron is strong and has good hands. Has several wins over Estelle Mossely in the amateur game...she would be a step up most definitely for Katie.

Katie would have clear hand speed advantage, but Cameron physically stronger I reckon, and heavier hands...

No talk from either camp about a potential Taylor-Cameron fight. Can't see that happening for a long while. Potentially the perfect 3Arena headline fight for Katie down the line though with the McGuigans involved too. Easy sell.

Don't think much of Ryan Garcia but that was the best performance I've seen of him by an absolute mile. Reynoso might be the perfect move for him.

• Advertisement

That was a mature like performance from Ryan Garcia. The hook up with Canelos gang seems to be a good move.

Don't think he'll ever make it at world level. No inside game and chin in the air. He'll be manoeuvred to as close as he can get though. Obviously marketable.

Advertisement