Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin’s traffic it’s a two part problem.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

ELM327 wrote: »

Expecting people to cycle to public transport outposts to get to work is frankly risible. Why the hell would we go back to that?

Colonial hang over and fragile masculinity all in the one quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sure some posters think all the jobs should be in the city,

Most jobs are in the city. This is a statement of fact, not a wish.
    Where are people who cant afford a house in the city or within a 5 minute walk of the train supposed to live and work

But it isn't just that you can't afford to live within 5 minutes walk of the train.
    You want to live in a detached house with a ride-on lawnmower.
    And it has to be 5 minutes walk. Not 10 minutes walk, or 15. Not 10 minutes cycle. No, your detached house with big garden has to be within 800m of a train station.

And you say other people are unrealistic.

Or maybe, just maybe, we could just drive to work and the government could build some more roads and butt out!
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

cgcsb wrote: »
    yes(not you personally) but it is a factor in modal choice. The car as a status symbol and/or penis extension isn't actually a new discovery, people have sort of laughed about it before, but it is a real phenomenon. I have no doubt that it applies to some of the lads in Audis who think that they deserve to be able to drive through the 24hr bus gate on Bachelors walk.

I pass by the bus gate 3-4 times a day every day and of the cars that pass through it , id say 90% of the ones I observe are middle aged women in small renault / toyota hatchbacks, how does your psycology explain that

RayCun wrote: »
    Most jobs are in the city. This is a statement of fact, not a wish.

But it isn't just that you can't afford to live within 5 minutes walk of the train.
    You want to live in a detached house with a ride-on lawnmower.
    And it has to be 5 minutes walk. Not 10 minutes walk, or 15. Not 10 minutes cycle. No, your detached house with big garden has to be within 800m of a train station.

And you say other people are unrealistic.

Thats what I want, and as explained before, Im not giving up the car, where the train is makes no odds to me,

but for just average joe 30k a year, works in the city, nearest house he can afford is in carragh and is 6-7km from public transport. Working is that industrial park in naas would be ideal , but it might be too soulless for other posters so how do you propose he gets to the city on a daily basis.

• Advertisement

I pass by the bus gate 3-4 times a day every day and of the cars that pass through it , id say 90% of the ones I observe are middle aged women in small renault / toyota hatchbacks, how does your psycology explain that

You're asking me like I invented the theory and/or I'm telepathic. People commit crimes and do illegal things for a variety of reasons. Those women in hatchbacks are to get some nice camera enforced fines in the future.

You're asking me like I invented the theory and/or I'm telepathic. People commit crimes and do illegal things for a variety of reasons. Those women in hatchbacks are to get some nice camera enforced fines in the future.

I really hope so, that is one thing that grinds my gears to the hilt, the even worse ones are the ones that see the light marked 'bus' and try slip in the car lane at the end ,going mad at you beeping and gesturing when you refuse to let them in

I really hope so, that is one thing that grinds my gears to the hilt, the even worse ones are the ones that see the light marked 'bus' and try slip in the car lane at the end ,going mad at you beeping and gesturing when you refuse to let them in

My pet hate is people driving up a turning lane then expecting you to let them in when you are actually crossing the junction. This happens a lot going from Burgh Quay to Aston quay crossing the O'Connell bridge junction. Feckers go up the right turn lane and think I'll let them in to go straight on.

Same happens coming up to Butt Bridge by the customs house. I once was queing at the lights waiting to cross the bridge in the rightmost lane and a lad in a Nissan Leaf was to the right of me, illegeally in the right turn only bus lane, maybe he thought electric cars have different rules?? Anyway of course he wanted to go straight on and had the nerve to honk his horn continuously, I stopped the car onfront of him and got out, he wasn't long about reversing, literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,446 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

yes(not you personally) but it is a factor in modal choice. The car as a status symbol and/or penis extension isn't actually a new discovery, people have sort of laughed about it before, but it is a real phenomenon. I have no doubt that it applies to some of the lads in Audis who think that they deserve to be able to drive through the 24hr bus gate on Bachelors walk.

This is the first time I've ever heard an economy Hyundai electric car being described as either a status symbol, or a penis extension.

The only similarity between my EV and a penis extension is the cheap plastic and the electric propulsion :D

Colonial hang over and fragile masculinity all in the one quote.
    I have neither. Thanks. Quite secure in my gender (big hairy bloke) and quite secure in my nationalism and national pride.
    Neither of which have anything to do with my desire to drive to work.

but for just average joe 30k a year, works in the city, nearest house he can afford is in carragh and is 6-7km from public transport.

Why does it have to be the nearest house he can afford? There are houses that are the same price, further from Dublin but much closer to a good transport link.

• Advertisement

Why does it have to be the nearest house he can afford? There are houses that are the same price, further from Dublin but much closer to a good transport link.

Like where , 3 bed houses a few km outside clane are about 225k, how far do you have to go to be near a train station for that money .

Newbridge is more money than that, youd have to go out to longford for that kind of price

Like where , 3 bed houses a few km outside clane are about 225k, how far do you have to go to be near a train station for that money .

Newbridge is more money than that, youd have to go out to longford for that kind of price
    The only thing worse than commuting 1.5hr+ from Longford to Dublin that I can think of, would be trying to do it in public transport.
    Bleerggh

3 bed houses in Kildare and Celbridge for that price

This is the first time I've ever heard an economy Hyundai electric car being described as either a status symbol, or a penis extension.

The only similarity between my EV and a penis extension is the cheap plastic and the electric propulsion :D

Are you literate? how did you get that from that?

I have neither. Thanks. Quite secure in my gender (big hairy bloke) and quite secure in my nationalism and national pride.
    Neither of which have anything to do with my desire to drive to work.

If you say so, envoking Maggie and her 1970s hyper capitalist ideals and agreeing with them puts your opinions in quite an odd category.

3 bed houses in Kildare and Celbridge for that price

Celbridge you can ignore patricks park and ballymackealy , both rough as a badgers arse,
    Also hazelhatch station is about 2.5-3km outside celbridge with a questionable footpath.

Kildare town fair enough but its still a serious trek away , and that town is so under serviced you still need a car to go to newbridge on the weekend to get anything done , also just checked, that kildare house is a 36 minute walk from the train station

Celbridge you can ignore patricks park and ballymackealy , both rough as a badgers arse,
    Also hazelhatch station is about 2.5-3km outside celbridge with a questionable footpath.

Kildare town fair enough but its still a serious trek away , and that town is so under serviced you still need a car to go to newbridge on the weekend to get anything done , also just checked, that kildare house is a 36 minute walk from the train station

Ah, I see the problem. You've mistaken me for an estate agent :rolleyes:

It took me two minutes to establish that there were properties in Kildare for 225k with 3 beds and close to good public transport links. (Note that I also said within a short cycle of a train station, which both of those are)

If you want to come up with a more detailed list of requirements that a property must meet, and expect me to find them, you can pay me first.

Are you literate? how did you get that from that?

If you say so, envoking Maggie and her 1970s hyper capitalist ideals and agreeing with them puts your opinions in quite an odd category.

Ignoring the risible barb towards my literacy, whilst you are demonstrably unable to spell a quite common word like "evoking" (or was it an incorrect usage of invoke?), is in itself quite ironic.
    To the matter at hand:

Hmm. Let's see how I got the penis extension comment shall we.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Thats what I want, and as explained before, Im not giving up the car, where the train is makes no odds to me,

but for just average joe 30k a year, works in the city, nearest house he can afford is in carragh and is 6-7km from public transport. Working is that industrial park in naas would be ideal , but it might be too soulless for other posters so how do you propose he gets to the city on a daily basis.

Simple, you don't buy the house, you rent.

P_1 wrote: »
    Simple, you don't buy the house, you rent.
    Ah , dead money, great long term solution there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Buying a house with a long commute to work, schools etc isn't a great long term solution either. Neither is buying a house that is relatively close to your current employer but a very long commute to other employers as if anything happens to your current employer you will have a very long commute to any new potential job opportunities.

• Advertisement

How many hackneyed old capatilist cliches are you going to come out with?

Buying a house is a waste of money, rent one instead
    Buying a car and paying insurance is a waste of money, if you need to drive somewhere use GoCar. Otherwise cycle or use public transport

How many hackneyed old capatilist cliches are you going to come out with?

Buying a house is a waste of money, rent one instead
    Buying a car and paying insurance is a waste of money, if you need to drive somewhere use GoCar. Otherwise cycle or use public transport

Buying a house, investing in an appreciating asset (over the medium to long term), is not a waste of money,

Perhaps if you could spell "Capitalist" correctly it might further your point but it is irrelevant. I am a capitalist. There's nothing wrong with that. Why should I work and fund someone else's endeavours while they are bone idle?

As for gocar, public transport, cycling etc. Don't make me laugh. If that's what the market wanted then there would be no more privately owned cars.

Buying a house with a long commute to work, schools etc isn't a great long term solution either. Neither is buying a house that is relatively close to your current employer but a very long commute to other employers as if anything happens to your current employer you will have a very long commute to any new potential job opportunities.
    Sell and move.

Potentially at a profit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sell and move.

Potentially at a profit.

That's a nice idea but it doesn't always work out. Loads of people had this same idea in the boom and then were stuck when the crash hit.

Buying a house, investing in an appreciating asset (over the medium to long term), is not a waste of money,

Perhaps if you could spell "Capitalist" correctly it might further your point but it is irrelevant. I am a capitalist. There's nothing wrong with that. Why should I work and fund someone else's endeavours while they are bone idle?

As for gocar, public transport, cycling etc. Don't make me laugh. If that's what the market wanted then there would be no more privately owned cars.

Sell and move.

Potentially at a profit.

Give it time. More people are waking up to how much of a sham car ownership is. Why would you invest in something that will depreciate the second you buy it

Give it time. More people are waking up to how much of a sham car ownership is. Why would you invest in something that will depreciate the second you buy it

There are plenty of downsides to car ownership and it can be pretty expensive. Whilst the depreciation on new cars is crazy, pretty much everything you buy depreciates the moment you buy it. People don't invest in cars (apart from classic cars) they buy them just like they buy washing machines and phones.

There are plenty of downsides to car ownership and it can be pretty expensive. Whilst the depreciation on new cars is crazy, pretty much everything you buy depreciates the moment you buy it. People don't invest in cars (apart from classic cars) they buy them just like they buy washing machines and phones.

True. I guess car ownership is incompatible with urban living. If you're out in the sticks then you're going to need a car. If you're in the city, realistically you won't and owning one becomes an unnecessary expense and also a burden when it comes to finding somewhere to park the thing when it's not in use

Ignoring the risible barb towards my literacy, whilst you are demonstrably unable to spell a quite common word like "evoking" (or was it an incorrect usage of invoke?), is in itself quite ironic.
    To the matter at hand:

Hmm. Let's see how I got the penis extension comment shall we.

Yeah and where did I say that's why YOU drive YOUR car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

True. I guess car ownership is incompatible with urban living. If you're out in the sticks then you're going to need a car. If you're in the city, realistically you won't and owning one becomes an unnecessary expense and also a burden when it comes to finding somewhere to park the thing when it's not in use

Again, you're thinking in binary terms.
    Many people live in places where public transport is non existent. They work in towns and cities.

You need a car to get to work, therefore you need to drive to and through towns and cities.

I'd love more alternatives. But until an alternative is as convenient and comfortable than driving then don't talk to me. You can keep your standing around for busses that don't appear, and cycling in glass and pothole covered cycle lanes.

Again, you're thinking in binary terms.
    Many people live in places where public transport is non existent. They work in towns and cities.

You need a car to get to work.

And this is where the (functional) p&r idea comes into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

And this is where the (functional) p&r idea comes into it.

Doesnt answer comfort and convenience at all.

As I said a few pages back, no one is going to use public transport if it take 2 or three connections and twice or three times as long to get somewhere

Advertisement