Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you see the state of snooker in RoI?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Tipp v Cork in Munster championship hurling today and Tipp v Cork in the Irish Amateur final too as Brendan O'Donoghue of New Institute, seeking his 5th title, takes on Ryan Cronin of The Crucible, seeking his first. Fair play to SBI for providing a stream, set up looks fantastic there. Amazing that Cork has yet to produce an Irish Amateur champion, with its current strength in depth, that will have to change some time soon, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's supposed to be on the SBI facebook page but all i can see there is a clip of the match table and set up, no live coverage and was set to start at 10. Not sure what's happening there tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭B2021M

What were the nature of the comments? If this was a case of getting a subjective wildcard I could understand them to some degree but Fergal qualified through an objective competition so it's hard to believe people can complain about it.

Just people who don't like how Fergal plays the game and don't believe his presence adds lustre or excitement to the tour. To be fair, they said similar about Rod Lawler, and there were plenty taking such opinions to task. I do think there's a valid question to be asked about Q School and whether the format is conducive to getting fresh talent on tour, but that has nothing to do with Fergal who continues to work his ass off to stay competitive. The young players just have to learn better how to cope with pressure, there's simply no other way.

• Advertisement

Well done Brendan O'Donoghue who lands his 5th Irish title with a hard fought but emphatic 7-4 win against Ryan Cronin. That pushes him one clear of Davy Morris and Martin McCrudden in the modern era and likely still more to come. Fair going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭waynescales1

So will Fergal break the record for consecutive years on tour? Or has his run technically ended because he briefly lost his card, before acquiring a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

pretty pedantic to claim it's not a continuous run once he qualified again via q school.

I suppose it depends what way you want to look at it. Nigel Bond was 32 years continuously without ever falling outside the cut off point so i believe that has to count for something. I mean, Jimmy has been continuously there for about 300 years now but that includes at least 3 invitational cards, so i think you'd probably draw the line there for sure. It's a fairly remarkable run either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

To me, it counts as long as the tour card was won on the table, whether that's by winning the World Championship or winning through Q-School.

I'd also argue that if you exclude Fergal from the calculations then you'd also have to reduce Nigel Bonds record by either 1 year or 2. Presumably NB won his first card through the equivalent of Q-School back in 1978 or whenever and it was only at a later date that he gained enough ranking points to maintain it.

• Advertisement

Another good week in sheffield so far. Aaron, Ross and Rodney all into last 16 and still on track with 2 matches left to win. Aaron looks to have very decent chance, but I said the same this time last week so no guarantees, just has to maintain his standard and belief in himself. He's easily good enough to be on tour.

Ross got lucky against James Cahill who, incredibly, missed a straight match black ball off the spot when leading 3-2, but they all count! Love to see him do it but tough matches coming up.

The pressure on a match ball off the spot is there all the same, when it's a livelihood on the line.

I felt sorry for cahill, left the arena a pretty angry and frustrated figure at the end. Pressure on these guys is immense and doesn't get any easier when you've been a few years struggling to make the breakthrough.

Jaysus, Ross sure living a charmed life today. Daniel Wells, with virtual match ball red misses and sticks up the frame. In fairness, it was a tricky rail job, not the total gimmee James Cahill had earlier. Into a decider, same as Rodney against Zak Surety. Aaron already through with routine win over a not very good opponent to be blunt about it. Could be a great day yet!

Edit: unfortunately that's as good as it gets as both Rodney and Ross beaten. Best I've seen Ross play for a while, though, if he can tighten up cue ball control, he'd have a chance.

So just Aaron left and Zhao Jianbo between him and reclaiming his card. Definitely a decent Chinese prospect so no easy task.

Post edited by Joe_ Public on

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Aaron Hill wins 4-1 and wins a two year card. Really have to admire him, just hope the experience he gained over the last two years will help him when the new season starts.

Attaboy Aaron, follows Fergal in bouncing straight back with 4-1 win over Zhao. Bit nervy in parts, but never really any moment when he looked as if he mightn't win the match, great to see him play with such conviction and poise. Just the 3 frames dropped all week, pretty commanding. Two more years to grow and develop and, hopefully, do himself justice this time around. Roll on August!

That is great for him

Q School wrapped up for another year and overall a fair showing from our lads. Same 4 back again for new season and, if not exactly progress, at least not going backwards either. Shame Ross went out early this week as was in top 3 on Q School Order of merit after Event 2 but has slipped back to 8 excluding those who earned cards. Still, that might get him into one or two tournaments via the top up list so should get some reward for it. And for Leone Crowley some valuable experience and didn't look overawed one bit against Kurt Maflin this week even if he went down 4-1. Rodney played decent and won a few matches. Hopeful for a good season ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Speaking of Kurt Maflin, is that him gone off the tour now? Hard to believe, he was in the WC QF in 2020.

Yes not too bad a showing all round.

You mentioned further up the thread that you didn't think the Q School format made it easy for new talent to break through. Do you think it would be better to be run on a league basis rather than knockout or what had you in mind?

• Advertisement

I think out of the 12 cards up for grabs, only one went to a player who will be new to the tour, so it does seem to bear out the argument that it's a very hard for new kids to break through. Bear in mind, they started seeding the qualifiers from last season which gives the guys coming off the tour an extra edge and that definitely does seem a bit unfair to me. Next season, they are expanding the Q Tour to 10 events which is good, but i'm not sure they're awarding any extra cards for it, which is not. It would make sense to me to have more cards through the Q Tour than Q School but i think world snooker prefers Q School as, at £1,000 a pop, it's quite the money spinner for them. Take cards away and players would be less inclined to enter so i don't see it changing any time soon.

Knockout best of 7 does seem a bit harsh for this purpose and may allow some luck with the draw. The fact that only one new player made it through suggests the quality may not be there though?

Agree with you about the £1,000 a pop bit though!

Yeah, that's the obvious counterpoint. No matter what structures you have in place, and people will always carp one way or another, the young guys still have to come beat the established players if they're good enough. From watching these competitions and a lot of the juniors, i see quite a few nice players, great potters and breakbuilders, but when it comes to nailing a frame from a tight spot, not too many regularly catch my eye tbh.

Best of luck to all those competing in European championships which are underway in Albania this morning. Last chance saloon for anyone hoping to snag a pro tour card for 2022/23 and emulate Aarons achievement 2 years ago in Portugal. If Ross carries his form from q school forward, he might have a little squeak. Here's hoping for a solid run.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Didn't know Spawell is still closed. No plans to re open

Fair play to Leone Crowley, through to qf of European under-18s where he'll face No.1 qualifier Liam Pullen who just survived a big scare against the incredible 11 year old Matvei Lagondzinschii from Ukraine. Very impressed with how Leone is playing, every chance of more progress here.

That's an outstanding performance from Leone to beat Liam Pullen 4-1 for a place in the sf. No mistake, this is a real prospect we have on our hands here, just so impressive all aspects of his game and his temperament and composure too. Tough one tomorrow against the very experienced Ben Mertens but will make it a good contest if he maintains his level.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Great prospect is young Leone, it’s obvious that he’s being guided well and looked after by the right snooker people. Some would have questioned why he played in Q School when he hasn’t really apart from the junior tour established himself as a top player in Ireland yet but there is absolutely no substitute for match practice leading into a tournament.

Am I correct in saying there is two year tour card for the winner of the U18?

No tour card for u/18, just for u/21 and the main men's event. Does get you a place in world champs qualifiers and maybe shoot out, i think. Big thing for Leone is moving to England last year, basing himself in one of best clubs in the country and visiting the academies in Sheffield regularly. Improvement in his game last 6/7 months alone is striking. That's the way to go i believe.

1-0 up on mertens here. Great start.

• Advertisement

And mertens hits straight back with a 70 break. Formidable scoring power this lad.

Advertisement