Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you see the state of snooker in RoI?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Congratulations to Brendan O'Donoghue of the New Institute, beats Davy Morris 6-5 to win his 4th Irish Amateur title. Sounds like great final, never more than a single frame in it. Saw the last frame on the feed and the new HQ in Carlow looks seriously impressive indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

I called up to Carlow on Saturday and i have to say the new club/venue is absolutely top class.4 Star tables and 4 Shender tables plus some mini tables for coaching the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Standard is dropping which is why the auld lads are still mostly dominating.

Snooker is too hard to be good at. You have to start off very young and practice a lot but what kid is going to be stuck indoors in a dark room playing snooker with other lads while his pals are all on instagram at the beach eating ice creams and chasing girls.

Aaron Hill didn't take up the game until he was 15 and he's handy enough now to be honest.

Xmas piece with Aaron looking back and forward to rest of season and the battle to keep his card. Tough read in parts as it's the first time I've seen him directly confront the harsh realities of tour life in terms of proving himself and making some badly needed cash. Still, he comes across as a really bright kid with a willing attitude and tons of belief in himself. I've no doubt he'll get there, if not this time, then the next.

https://www.the42.ie/aaron-hill-5628717-Dec2021/

• Advertisement

See the draw for the world qualifiers is out. Aaron up against exciting but raw Welsh talent, Liam Davies, and unfortunately would face Fergal second round if he comes through. Jordan Brown, Mark King also in that section so tough looking prospect for the lads as they chase tour survival.

Ken also battling for his card and faces the winner of Rory McLeod and Ng On Yee, evoking memories of his scare against Reanne Evans a few years ago.

Michael Judge hoping for some cheer to end a tough return to tour life faces first round top seed Zhao Jianbo.

End of the road for Aaron's first go on tour, bit disappointing to go down 4-6 to Liam Davies after a strong start gave him a 4-2 lead. Davies is a very exciting prospect tbf, just 15 and could give Fergal a rattle next round. Fergals experience should stand to him. Aaron got 6 weeks now to get his head reset for Q school, all not lost yet.

Mick Judge still fighting hard against Zhang Jianbo, 4-4 to come back for a finish tonight.

Fair play Mick Judge, 1am and he gets it done 6-4 after Zhao, clearing up, stuck the black up. Allan Taylor, practice partner of Aaron's, up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

A case to too much too soon for Aaron Hill but hes young and even if he doesn't come tru Q school i can see him cleaning up next season on Ireland's amateur circuit.

Lots of great players didn't make it first time around, hawkins, robertson, bingham etc. No shame at all in it. Dont know will he stay in England if q school doesn't work out, the Q Tour is expanding to 10+ events from next season and there's a pretty decent regular pro am set up to fill in the gaps. I think if his focus is to get back on tour asap, that's where i'd be anyway. But it's his decision and he may have a different take on things.

• Advertisement

Fergal gone 2-3 down against young Davies, very tense and scrappy. Going to need to draw on all his craft and experience here with his tour card on the line. Davies is giving him enough chances anyway.

Fergal has to come back tonight, 4-5 down so needs to win last 2 frames. Davies is some prospect in fairness, wish we had a couple of 15 year olds like that!

Wow, what a frame of snooker! Not sure there was even a 10 break in it until Fergal mopped up from green to pink. 5-5, one frame to save his pro career. Come on lad!

Not to be alas, another incredibly scrappy frame goes the Welshmans way this time and that draws the curtain on Fergals 31 year tour career. Gutted for him. Sure we'll see him in tour school so not necessarily the end just yet. As things stand, it's just Michael Judge on tour next season, unless Ken can pull something out of the bag, starting against McLeod tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Didn't know Fergal and co were on the brink of losing their cards.

Still decent enough money, he got 42k pounds this season. Tough lifestyle with all the travelling though.

Not sure who pays for all the travel expenses?

Players like Mark Davis making 80k pounds. Pretty damn good for playing snooker.

You're looking at the 2 year ranking list there, so divide in half and you're getting roughly the full picture. You'd need to be in top 20-25 to clear 80k in prize money annually and players pay their own expenses, unless they're extremely lucky enough to have a sponsor/benefactor covering some of their costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

Sadly Ken is now out too. What will happen now, another 2 year card not likely imho, neither is Q school I feel. Retirement?

No announcement as of yet anyway, so going to assume he's anticipating another wild card as I don't see him turning up for Q School. Have to wait and see i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I see Michael Judge was beaten by a decent little pressure clearance from Allan Taylor in the final frame decider.

And not Irish related but Nigel Bond has retired from the main tour. Longest serving player with continuous membership of the tour.

Saw that, very nice clearance and a pressure black into a blind pocket. Worth 5k that black which is a lot of dosh for these guys to be playing for and, of course, Taylor's card was riding on it. Was hoping Fergal would hang on and eclipse Bonds record, but not to be alas.

Thinking about Ken, I suppose he could be waiting for the bbc coverage to make a statement. Part of me thinks it would be a good time to bow out, another really hopes he keeps going, wild card or no. We'll wait and see anyway.

• Advertisement

Supposing Ken gets a wild card, would he take the mantle from Bond? Supposing he didn't, but Fergal had retained his, would Fergal have take it? I think they started pre 1992 so must both be there or thereabouts behind Nigel Bond. Anyone know?

No, Bond has the record because he was 32 years continuous on tour without ever falling off, no wild cards. Ken has lost his card a couple of times, Fergal would have equalled Bond this season and beaten him the next if he'd managed to hold on.

Edit: Bond was there 89, Fergal 91, so Fergal was 2 years behind, not 1.

Ah yes, Joe, of course. I was taking Kens wild cards as 'continuous', but by that logic Jimmy would beat Nigel. Continuous merit is the correct way to look at it. So if not now Fergal, would you know who replaces Bond for continuous merit?

Would be Ronnie and Higgins who came in in 92. Anthony Hamilton was there in 91 but he fell off at least once in the meantime.

Very best of luck to Fergal, Aaron, Rodney Goggins, Ross Bulman and Leone Crowley setting off on the long road through Q School starting tomorrow. Fergal and Aaron definitely have the games anyway and Ross was within a single frame of qualifying 3 years ago so hopefully one or more can get over the line. Fergal drawn to face Welsh whizzkid Liam Davies in Event One, the kid who beat him in the world qualifiers and knocked him off the tour so a tough one to start! Annoyingly, Fergal, Aaron, Ross and Rodney all drawn in same section for the first event so only one can come through.

Leone is the recently crowned both u/18 and u/21 national champion so should be arriving with confidence anyway. Still just 15, so a big ask, but will all be great experience for him.

So far so good in Sheffield as both Fergal and Aaron through to last 16 and looking in good nick, two wins from winning back their tour cards. Bit nervy from Aaron, being hauled back to 3-3 from 3-0 v Billy Castle, but produced 114 break in the last to clinch it with some excellent potting thrown in.

Will be disappointed if at least one of them doesn't make it and be great to get the two. Aaron definitely has the more benign looking draw I'd say.

At the end of the day you just can't beat experience! Ross Muir should've been taking that to a decider but lost the head and allows Fergal to ease home 4-2. Rory McLeod up tomorrow for a tour place and for once, Ferg might not be the slow one!

Sadly, Aaron down 3-4 against Luke Simmonds. Disappointing as thought it looked a match he should win. Nothing for it but to dust himself down and get back on the horse next week.

No messing from Fergal, breezes past McLeod 4-1 and bounces straight back with a 2 year tour card. Great going from what i thought looked a tricky enough draw, hopefully the younger lads can draw some inspiration from that over the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Well done Fergal. Gritty perfomer.

• Advertisement

Seeing a few less than sporting comments regarding Fergals success on social media outlets. I suppose given 3 of the cards won today went to 2 50 year olds and a 41 year old, not everyone going to be thrilled about that. But that's not Fergals problem, the younger guys just going to have to find a way to be better.

Advertisement