Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure Telecom Speeds are very low

Options
  • 11-12-2018 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

In blackrock dublin. switched from virgin 240 to pure telecom 100mbps since cheaper. the speeds are like 3-5mpbs and nowhere near 100mbps they claims. customer service of PT is not useful. any pointers on how to get PT deliver on the promise ? if they cant give atleast 50mbps can i break the contract without penalty ?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

whizkid9 wrote: »
    In blackrock dublin. switched from virgin 240 to pure telecom 100mbps since cheaper. the speeds are like 3-5mpbs and nowhere near 100mbps they claims.

Perhaps you are nearly 2km from the nearest cabinet. The upto 100 meg service by Pure Telecom and lots of other companies used copper technology to bring the internet from the cabinet to your home. Speeds can get close to 100 megs if the cabinet is beside your house, but speeds fall off a cliff after 1km. To get at least 50 you would need to be within 1km of the cabinet and have no wiring problems.

Generally I would never recommend anyone to move from Virgin Media to a copper based product, there is bound to be a massive drop off in speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

When you log into your router .. what are your line stats ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

please confirm you are speaking about megabits not megabytes.

your PC will show download speed in megabytes, however the speeds advertised by broadband companies are advertised in megabits, which are completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jeffrey

Pure Disaster, they will tell you anything to get you signed up, after that they dont want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭whizkid9

Marlow wrote: »
    When you log into your router .. what are your line stats ?

/M

8 mbps and .2mbps

• Advertisement

jeffrey wrote: »
    Pure Disaster, they will tell you anything to get you signed up, after that they dont want to know.

yup. bad mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like they installed ADSL(up to 24) not VDSL (up to 100). You need to call sales and get them to upgrade you.

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    please confirm you are speaking about megabits not megabytes.

your PC will show download speed in megabytes, however the speeds advertised by broadband companies are advertised in megabits, which are completely different.

talking megabits. as reported by speedtest.net connected to dublin eir server. also from the line stats

Gonzo wrote: »
    Perhaps you are nearly 2km from the nearest cabinet. The upto 100 meg service by Pure Telecom and lots of other companies used copper technology to bring the internet from the cabinet to your home. Speeds can get close to 100 megs if the cabinet is beside your house, but speeds fall off a cliff after 1km. To get at least 50 you would need to be within 1km of the cabinet and have no wiring problems.

Generally I would never recommend anyone to move from Virgin Media to a copper based product, there is bound to be a massive drop off in speed.

i didnt realize this until they did the installation. the internet in my house comes via 2 tiny copper contact points on the telephone line. I was expecting, when they claim 100mbps fibre, i could really get 100mbps. fake claims + my ignorance

Possible to cancel the Pure telecom contract within 14 days cooling off period ? https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/contracts-and-services/contracts-and-services/

• Advertisement

i didnt realize this until they did the installation. the internet in my house comes via 2 tiny copper contact points on the telephone line. I was expecting, when they claim 100mbps fibre, i could really get 100mbps. fake claims + my ignorance

100 Mbit/s is still copper. The difference is, it would come from a cabinet nearer to you, hence the higher speeds.

But even when it comes from a cabinet, it can be as low as 7 Mbit/s if the line is bad.

up to 100 Mbit/s if marketed as fibre .. it's not.

And when I asked for line stats, it was the likes of SNR etc. That would help to figure out, if your line is the problem or what they actually have hooked you up on.

100% fibre at the moment is only SIRO and then OpenEIR based providers when you're in the sticks. Very few urban places get 100% on the OpenEIR network.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Unlike other providers pure describe VDSL as "100mb Fibre" on their website.
    It doesn't look like they warn that it's up to 100mb

100 Mbit/s is still copper. The difference is, it would come from a cabinet nearer to you, hence the higher speeds.

But even when it comes from a cabinet, it can be as low as 7 Mbit/s if the line is bad.

up to 100 Mbit/s if marketed as fibre .. it's not.

And when I asked for line stats, it was the likes of SNR etc. That would help to figure out, if your line is the problem or what they actually have hooked you up on.

100% fibre at the moment is only SIRO and then OpenEIR based providers when you're in the sticks. Very few urban places get 100% on the OpenEIR network.

/M

Physical link status
    DSL Status Up
    DSL Uptime 1 days 22 hours 5 minutes 42 seconds
    DSL Type ADSL_G.dmt
    DSL Mode Interleaved
    Line Rate 0.51 Mbps 8.16 Mbps
    Data Transferred 1056.19 MBytes 1998.54 MBytes
    Output Power 19.5 dBm 12.3 dBm
    Line Attenuation 13 dB 18 dB
    Noise Margin 29 dB 20.1 dB

Physical link status
    DSL Status Up
    DSL Uptime 1 days 22 hours 5 minutes 42 seconds
    DSL Type ADSL_G.dmt
    DSL Mode Interleaved
    Line Rate 0.51 Mbps 8.16 Mbps
    Data Transferred 1056.19 MBytes 1998.54 MBytes
    Output Power 19.5 dBm 12.3 dBm
    Line Attenuation 13 dB 18 dB
    Noise Margin 29 dB 20.1 dB

That's ADSL1 !!

On ADSL2+ you'd have 22 Mbit/s at that signal.
    On VDSL2 you'd have 24-36 Mbit/s at that signal.

Distance to the cab is between 950-1300m based on that data.

That's not even what they call a fibre product.

/M

That's ADSL1 !!

On ADSL2+ you'd have 22 Mbit/s at that signal.
    On VDSL2 you'd have 24-36 Mbit/s at that signal.

Distance to the cab is between 950-1300m based on that data.

That's not even what they call a fibre product.

/M

Totally regret switching from Virgin to pure telecom :(:(:(
    The connection was installed this tuesday ie 11th Dec. I called them up today and asked about the 14 day cooling period. They says I am already out of the cooling period window, since I ordered the service by phone on Nov 23rd. Anyone knows if the cooling period starts from the installation date or the phone conversation date?

When I called them initially, they said I can get 90 mbps at my home. Now I can only get around 5mbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

When I called them initially, they said I can get 90 mbps at my home. Now I can only get around 5mbps

Contact comreg, cc comreg in all correspondence demanding they sort it.

The connection was installed this tuesday ie 11th Dec. I called them up today and asked about the 14 day cooling period. They says I am already out of the cooling period window, since I ordered the service by phone on Nov 23rd. /QUOTE]

I'd be interested in getting more info on this too. My understanding was the 2 weeks cooling of period started the same day you are connected to the service.
    Is it different because he ordered over the phone and not online?

tuxy wrote: »
    The connection was installed this tuesday ie 11th Dec. I called them up today and asked about the 14 day cooling period. They says I am already out of the cooling period window, since I ordered the service by phone on Nov 23rd. /QUOTE]

I'd be interested in getting more info on this too. My understanding was the 2 weeks cooling of period started the same day you are connected to the service.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/how-to-complain/complain-to-a-business/

I just called CCPC. CCPC informed the law is from the day you make a verbal contract. They played me well. Pure telecom is Pure Scam. If they install the service only after 14 days, after the phone signup. No one can take advantage of the 14 days:mad::mad:

The connection was installed this tuesday ie 11th Dec. I called them up today and asked about the 14 day cooling period. They says I am already out of the cooling period window, since I ordered the service by phone on Nov 23rd.

It's not. It's when you sign the contract, that the cooling off period starts. Many people misunderstand this.

When you buy goods online, you have 14 days cooling off period from the time you receive this goods.

With contracts it's different: When you sign/agree to a contract, you have 14 days to regret your decision to that fact. It's not for the purpose of testing the service for suitability.

Now, the provider can either deliver the services before the cooling period has passed and then you can cancel (this is what Eir do) or they can wait with the installation until your cooling off period has passed and then install you .. or the third option is, that they can offer you to waive your right to the cooling off period and then install you quicker than the 14 days.

But what Pure Telecom do is correct, by the letter of the law.

Where they however went wrong, is that if their "fibre" product was ordered, then they haven't delivered the correct product. And that indeed is a problem and should be no problem to get cancelled. Worst case scenario: go to Comreg after making a formal complaint with Pure Telecom.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Seek legal advise. You have been mis sold a product if you were promised 90Mb and received 5Mb. Don't let them get away with this.

Thanks for clearing that up, it looks like it would work to their advantage to delay installs.

Where do you think they stand on this, it's what the OP ordered

c37100ec067891882cc8612b381ce861.png

unlimited download 100mb Fibre, not up to 100mb but 100 exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Surely they can change you to VDSL? You are on ADSL1 here and I suspect it's a mistake.

I guess there is a small possibility that it was not a mistake and there were no other available ports at the exchange?

I guess there is a small possibility that it was not a mistake and there were no other available ports at the exchange?

Doesn't matter. In that case they should have cancelled the order or confirmed, that it's a different product, he gets.

That there is clearly the wrong product and the cooling off period doesn't even come into the picture. Should be no problem to cancel that. And if they make it a problem: involve Comreg.

/M

And if they manage to switch him over to VDSL at the exchange is he then trapped on their 100mb fibre product?

And if they manage to switch him over to VDSL at the exchange is he then trapped on their 100mb fibre product?

If that option was there, it would have been in the first place.

/M

I guess the best step is to make a formal complaint to Pure, get a reference number.
    Wait 10 days for a resolution(is that time frame correct?)
    Then file a case with COMREG.

If anyone from pure telcom checks these boards they should really consider extending the cool off period for this customer.
    Many people have been extremely frustrated with Eir and have been asking recently if Pure is a good alternative.
    I think it's obvious what the answer will be from now on if this is not resolved swiftly.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If that option was there, it would have been in the first place.

/M

Not if the CSR was incompetent. Its worth checking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Pure telecom are dreadful. My broadband doesn't even work, been down for over 2 weeks now. They say there is a fault on the line but they cannot resolve the issue. Its the service provider's responsibility to resolve the problem but they keep blaming eir. Im lodging an official complaint against them. They just cannot provide the service. When it was working i would typically get a speed of approx 25mb.

Advertisement