Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposal for sliding scale of speeding fines / points

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

SeanW wrote: »

I assume nothing. I have a lot of experience seeing areas where lots of people are out-and-about in the daytime, including schools, that are totally deserted late at night.

It looks like you made a pretty big assumption about who's going to be around the school when you said :"It is not reasonable to expect motorists to adhere to school-limits at 10PM on a Sunday night".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It should also be noted that not every 50kph zone is created equal. Take for example the town of Longford.

On this road, the 50kph zone starts a mile outside the town on the N63, where there's nothing but out-of-town industrial parks that are largely unused outside of business hours:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7108285,-7.8195387,3a,75y,28.29h,91.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sl2yTo1lRF6MOx0hsC-tiXA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

But the same 50kph limit applies on the towns Main Street. Is 50kph appropriate for either? No, it should be lower in the town and higher, significantly so, out where my link shows.

But there's no distinction in law between Main St. and the road with a bit ribbon development a mile out, nor any distinction between the various times of day one may be traveling at. It's 50kph on both, 24/7. Another reason why penalties should start low in a graduated system.

Sorry, but that’s really bonkers if I’ve picked it up right that you want lower fines for 50km/h because there’s the odd place 50km/h is applied wrongly?!,

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Speed limits will always be "wrong" because they don't take into account conditions, but the sad fact is that if you set them to the safe speed at 3am people will drive that speed + 10kph all day long.

All regulations are annoying for exactly this reason. They're a clumsy fix for hunan stupidity.

But until we have something better, they're a necessary inconvenience.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

How often does that happen though? Can you point to an example of where a pedestrian was killed by a motorist traveling at 56kph where it is known absolutely that wouldn't have happened at 49kph?

Your attitude is bonkers — pedestrians are often killed by people driving at lower enough speeds and the risk by speed (km/h or mph) is based on well-established international research.
    Remember that 8kph is only 5 miles per hour in 'the old money' so to speak, it's not a lot in most cases.

If you want to put it in km/h or mph, it doesn’t change the science... are we’re really talking about you perception vs science? Because that’s exactly what I said the problem was.

Again, YMMV, but a lot of my driving is late at night and Saturday afternoons, and you'll often go through a 50kph zone or a 60kph zone and not meet any pedestrians at all. So how do you "protect" a pedestrian that does not exist?

You know it’s not just based on pedestrians, but also junctions, driveways etc? And what exactly do you want? To be able to go 70 or 80km/h when you think it’s ok? Or what?
    It's not just this. We now have drug driving laws that say if someone partakes of an occasional use of cannabis, they have to stay off the road for up to a month when the evidence suggests they should only be off the road for hours, not weeks. Lowering of BAC limits when there was little or no evidence of people between the old and new limits causing problems in practice. And so on.

And all the while this goes on, insurance rates for people with good records like mine continue to climb to absolutely eye-watering levels.

By all means enforce the law to keep dangerous drivers off the road, but the laws need to be sensible and fair, with punishments that fit the crime and are proportionate. Ross supports none of that. Just more harsh laws.

My recall is that the claim that there was little or no evidence of people between the old and new limits causing problems in practice was put and Ross actually provided the evidence showing there were deaths at the lower limits.

But overall... that’s an unreal amount of different grievances to bring up when debating speed.

I really don't think that speeding is the big issue it's made out to be, on Irish roads.

Lack of attention to the road is the issue I predict that causes most crashes. Our road deaths are very low as it stands, anyway. This whole thing strikes me as 'be seen to be doing something'. It's easy to nail you to the wall with speeding, because it's just a case of a number on a sign, and whether your number is higher or lower. Easy (but poor) policing.

Again, nails the people who are actually out doing something productive.

Same as the way they enforce drink driving. Don't want the arguments or hassle at the side of the road when people are actually drunk, so instead get them the next morning when they're practically sober in every realistic manner, but if they're up out of bed early they're probably going to work or such, and will not argue on the roadside.

Much like these new speeding offences, it's cowardly policing designed to attack those who try to obey the rules, whilst Johnny on his 5th ban tears down the road beside you, oblivious to it all.

• Advertisement

I really don't think that speeding is the big issue it's made out to be, on Irish roads.

Lack of attention to the road is the issue I predict that causes most crashes. Our road deaths are very low as it stands, anyway. This whole thing strikes me as 'be seen to be doing something'. It's easy to nail you to the wall with speeding, because it's just a case of a number on a sign, and whether your number is higher or lower. Easy (but poor) policing.

Same as the way they enforce drink driving. Don't want the arguments or hassle at the side of the road when people are actually drunk, so instead get them the next morning when they're practically sober in every realistic manner, but if they're up out of bed early they're probably going to work or such, and will not argue on the roadside.

Much like these new speeding offences, it's cowardly policing designed to attack those who try to obey the rules, whilst Johnny on his 5th ban tears down the road beside you, oblivious to it all.

You'll find the tinfoil hats in aisle 3 of the Conspiracy Forum

You'll find the tinfoil hats in aisle 3 of the Conspiracy Forum

How is lazy policing a conspiracy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Can you point to an example of where a pedestrian was killed by a motorist traveling at 56kph where it is known absolutely that wouldn't have happened at 49kph?
    i'm genuinely curious as to what method you expect could be used which could determine the answer to a question like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So the person caught doing 198km/h over Christmas was being "productive"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

It looks like you made a pretty big assumption about who's going to be around the school when you said :"It is not reasonable to expect motorists to adhere to school-limits at 10PM on a Sunday night".
    I assumed nothing. Schools tend to be unused late on a July weekend evening and have lots of schoolchildren about on a February Monday morning. Ditto for school term weekday afternoons when the school day ends.

These times require lower speeds and particular care because of the fact there will be children everywhere. That's obvious to any sane person.
    monument wrote: »
    Sorry, but that’s really bonkers if I’ve picked it up right that you want lower fines for 50km/h because there’s the odd place 50km/h is applied wrongly?!,
    No. Absolutely not. What I suggest instead is 1 PP for any amount of speed over any speed limit up to 10kph, 2 or 3 for the next 10k, 5 or so for the next 10kph, maybe 7 for 30-50kph and careless or dangerous driving for the speed limit plus over 50kph.

I just don't think 50kph zones are particularly special in the above regard, considering how many of them are applied to urban peripheries, ribbon developments, rural areas that just happen to be 1.5 kilometres from a village and so on.
    monument wrote: »
    You know it’s not just based on pedestrians, but also junctions, driveways etc? And what exactly do you want? To be able to go 70 or 80km/h when you think it’s ok? Or what?
    No. Reasonable limits. Slow in town centres and residential estates. Special (timed) limits around schools. Higher limits on long distance roads. Urban 50/60kph limits should end much sooner as you leave a town.
    My recall is that the claim that there was little or no evidence of people between the old and new limits causing problems in practice was put and Ross actually provided the evidence showing there were deaths at the lower limits.
    My memory could be wrong, but there were stats posted and the evidence wasn't clear. As I recall, most fatalities are caused by drivers that are either sober or stupidly drunk, but I am open to correction.
    But overall... that’s an unreal amount of different grievances to bring up when debating speed.
    These most recent changes are proposed by a Minister that only cares about having more rules and who doesn't care if they are fair or proportionate.
    Victor wrote: »
    Can't speak 100% for the poster, but I think we can all agree that such speeds are insane.

• Advertisement

Ah here, you'd barely be in top gear at 198kph on a decent motorbike. :D

I assumed nothing. Schools tend to be unused late on a July weekend evening and have lots of schoolchildren about on a February Monday morning. Ditto for school term weekday afternoons when the school day ends.
    And there's that assumption again, with the extra 'July' qualifier to try to make it stand up. I've collected kids from Dublin schools at 10pm at July weekends after a Ceilí event as part of a Gaeltacht week.

Schools are often used by foreign students for events during the summer too.

Those assumptions are very dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

And there's that assumption again, with the extra 'July' qualifier to try to make it stand up. I've collected kids from Dublin schools at 10pm at July weekends after a Ceilí event as part of a Gaeltacht week.

Ok but couldn't there be large numbers of children being collected at any location at any time of the day or night always expect the unexpected and all that.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Ok but couldn't there be large numbers of children being collected at any location at any time of the day or night always expect the unexpected and all that.

Hence speed limits

• Registered Users Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

People shouldn't have to assume, the school should have a low limit when required and not when it isn't required.

Victor wrote: »

That person would be done for dangerous driving under our current rules, anyway. So that makes no difference.

I drive a lot. A lot. You'll often be floating along an N road, limited to 100kph in Ireland. Suddenly, you're in a 50kph zone because there's a 2-house village up ahead, or a school nearby. There'll be no one around, because it's 1am, and the 50kph zone will last about 12 seconds.

People will continue to plod through the 50 zone at 80-100kph, because the road is well paved, wide, signed, lighted and there's nobody around for miles. Except the speed van.

That's the kind of policing that sickens people and it irks a majority of drivers (hence everyone flashing for speeds vans and a '2 finger attitude to speed enforcement' in this country).

I've seen speed vans (and Garda traps) at the bottom of steep hills, hidden behind trees, on roads where the limit is questionably low, etc. and rarely ever (never, I'd say) in actual accident black spots.

This is why people get annoyed at this lazy, colour-inside-the-lines approach to 'road safety'.

There's nothing going on in Ireland at the moment in terms of deaths, speeding offences, etc. being historically high that I can see would be a precedent to warrant a sudden introduction of overly stiff penalties to mild speeding.

Dublin is overwhelmed with traffic, transport and commuting issues. Possibly say the same for Galway, too. The rest of the country is getting by relatively okay, with an undertone of arguing about drink driving laws needing to be relaxed in rural areas. All in all, I can't understand why this is what the minister for transport has been spending his time working on. It seems redundant, useless and makes a further target out of motorists in general.

Your issue seems to be a problem with getting caught breaking the limit. This is easily fixed by one of two ways

Either you start adhering to the limits

Or

You rack up enough points to get put off the road

Either way, it's a much safer result for all concerned. The only person impacted is you and the magnitude of that impact is entirely within your control.

On a side note, I find it amusing that some posters complain about the lack of enforcement and others complain when there is enforcement. You can please some of the people some of the time............

People shouldn't have to assume, the school should have a low limit when required and not when it isn't required.

Or just have a low limit maybe? Would it kill you to slow down for a minute?

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I guess that's why drivers are required by law to drive in a manner that allows them to stop within the distance they can see to be clear.

makes a further target out of motorists in general.
    Or makes a further target out of motorists who break speed limits in particular.

Or makes a further target out of motorists who break speed limits in particular.

Doing 40 in a 30 is speeding in the loosest sense of the word, yet you'll be done for it time and time again under these rules as the Gardai now have a 'scale' to use their discretion on.

Your issue seems to be a problem with getting caught breaking the limit. This is easily fixed by one of two ways

Either you start adhering to the limits

Or

You rack up enough points to get put off the road

Either way, it's a much safer result for all concerned. The only person impacted is you and the magnitude of that impact is entirely within your control.

On a side note, I find it amusing that some posters complain about the lack of enforcement and others complain when there is enforcement. You can please some of the people some of the time............

I think you've completely missed my point altogether. I never complained about enforcement, I complained about the manner, and approach taken with regards to enforcing it.

Besides, if I get put off the road, should that ever happen, I'll just continue along anyway. Every week I see people done for no license, insurance, etc. and they are already banned, but just get repeated bans over and over. There's no punishment for those already 'off the road'.

Caught driving while banned? You get an extension to your ban.

Which only serves to further make a mockery of this new 'sliding scale'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

I would say that 149 deaths on the roads last year warrants harsher roads policing. Line up 149 dead bodies and their families behind them and tell them our road deaths are very low. Driving is not a right. It’s a privalige. Drivers who can’t obey the laws should be punished. Our punishments aren’t harsh enough.

Speeding is a factor. Drink driving is a factor. Drink driving in the morning is a factor. I hate that argument of “cowardly policing designed to attack those who try to obey the rules”. If you’re over the limit in the morning then it’s the same as being over the limit at anytime. Your punishment is in line with the amount of alcohol in your system.

Your point of it being easier for the Garda dealing with the person in the morning to avoid confrontation is ridiculous. Most drink drivers are so called decent working people who cause no hassle when arrested. Roughly half drink drivers are caught between 11pm and 4am. The more of them taken off the roads the better. Just because they get up and go to work doesn’t excuse drink driving.

And Johnny on his 5th ban didn’t hand himself in for those bans either.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Besides, if I get put off the road, should that ever happen, I'll just continue along anyway. Every week I see people done for no license, insurance, etc. and they are already banned, but just get repeated bans over and over. There's no punishment for those already 'off the road'.

Caught driving while banned? You get an extension to your ban.

Which only serves to further make a mockery of this new 'sliding scale'.

Get caught while banned and the judge can extend your ban. He/She can also imprison you or fine you or both. There are plenty of judges who imprison repeat offenders.

Yes there are those in society who will never obey the law, but that can’t excuse everyone from following suit. Hence why the punishments should be harsher.

You'll often be floating along an N road, limited to 100kph in Ireland. Suddenly, you're in a 50kph zone because there's a 2-house village up ahead, or a school nearby. There'll be no one around, because it's 1am, and the 50kph zone will last about 12 seconds.

People will continue to plod through the 50 zone at 80-100kph, because the road is well paved, wide, signed, lighted and there's nobody around for miles. Except the speed van.

That's the kind of policing that sickens people

The reason the limit is 50 is because there are houses on the road. If a dog bolts out you could end up hitting a house at 100kph. Well not you obviously, because you possess god-like infallibility, but those other idiots you see on the road every day.

Sure, the risk is low, but all accidents are freak accidents.

What "sickens" me is people feeling aggrieved at slowing down for 12 seconds. You're driving through a village, slow down FFS.

Good example I see every day is Kilmacanogue on the N11. There's an 80kph limit northbound due to vehicles merging. People buzz through at 120kph and it causes a real hazard. I've seen them moan on social media about the "ridiculous" limit but it isn't ridiculous at all. People are just crap at recognising hazards. Their licences should be revoked. I go through at 80kph on the motorbike and have people tailgating me aggressively. Cnts.

Of course the gardai never enforce that limit. Really needs a camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Presumably you both think motorists should just drive everywhere at 5 miles an hour or something?

That's not my position, but you carry on presuming bull**** that neither me or anybody in the thread is arguing for.

I'm quite happy with people being able to drive at 50/80/100/120 kph in the correct circumstances. I'm a fan of the principles of vision zero for road safety which have and still are being implemented with great success by the Dutch.

One of the principles of vision zero is that you avoid mixing vehicular and non vehicular traffic where the expected maximum speed (not necessarily the posted speed limit) is > 30kph or 20mph. If the infrastructure requires these traffic types to mix, which is a lot of our urban roads (and probably most everywhere we have schools) then you limit the speed to 30kph. This can be done largely with clever self-enforcing infrastructure which, as well as physically restraining speeding also mentally influences drivers to a calmer and more careful mode of driving. Also, such infrastructure, where it exists is there 24/7, so people are free to travel with safety 24/7, regardless of whether it a "normal" time to be out walking / cycling etc.

Ideally our road infrastructure would be completely revamped to be opened up for safe passage everywhere by other modes of transport than a motor car. However, I'm enough of a realist to know that's not going to happen anytime soon. But what we CAN do now is apply vision zero to out current infrasturure- limit to 30kph when cars and user road users are not well separated and start enforcing strictly to force people to change their attitudes.

Doing 40 in a 30 is speeding in the loosest sense of the word, yet you'll be done for it time and time again under these rules as the Gardai now have a 'scale' to use their discretion on.
    Doing 40 in a 30 zone more than doubles the probability of fatal injury to a pedestrian; https://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/specialist/knowledge/speed/speed_is_a_central_issue_in_road_safety/speed_and_the_injury_risk_for_different_speed_levels_en

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

yeah but most of the speed traps are just inside the 30k zone heading out of a town/village where no pedestrians actually are.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    yeah but most of the speed traps are just inside the 30k zone heading out of a town/village where no pedestrians actually are.

How did you work out that there are not going to be any pedestrians on the outskirts?

How did you work out that there are not going to be any pedestrians on the outskirts?

Experience, drive through a town and pedestrians generally tend to be in the center at shops etc not a half mile out the road with no houses/shops buildings of any kind around.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Experience, drive through a town and pedestrians generally tend to be in the center at shops etc not a half mile out the road with no houses/shops buildings of any kind around.

I often see pedestrians hitching outside towns, but regardless, it doesn't look like a safe assumption. In fact, it looks like a fairly dangerous assumption.

• Advertisement

I often see pedestrians hitching outside towns, but regardless, it doesn't look like a safe assumption. In fact, it looks like a fairly dangerous assumption.

Most of the hitchhikers I see have been on 100/80km stretch of roads so your dangerous assumption is incorrect.

Advertisement