Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skipping breakfast?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Game of Thrones Fan

Without pharmaceutical drugs, I’d have died four years ago. If I’d tried to heal myself just with food, I’d have died within months.

Oh and as if all those woo practitioners aren’t in it for the money either. Do you honestly think they have no interest in profiting from sick people? Why are they never criticised for taking huge sums of money of vulnerable dying people (who still end up dying)?
    So in your situation you should try both approaches. But people don't see the bigger picture. Most people don't realise that if they eat the right foods in the first place they won't end up in hospitals until they're in their 70s or later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I rarely eat breakfast, but when I do, I'm starving by 11.30. When I dont have breakfast i can get to 1 no problem.
    Yeah I always get extremely hungry before lunch if I don't leave breakfast until 10.30 or 11. And if I have porridge for breakfast I feel absolutely starving. I try to keep my breakfast mostly protein based.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

So in your situation you should try both approaches. But people don't see the bigger picture. Most people don't realise that if they eat the right foods in the first place they won't end up in hospitals until they're in their 70s or later.

Yeh for most people they will manage to get to old age with a healthy diet and lifestyle all things going well but children still get sick, teenagers get sick, young healthy people can get sick ,with deadly diseases, their diet wasnt the cause and diet sure as hell isnt going to be the cure

Diet is important but its not everything. Your opinion of pharmaceutical drugs is also very cynical, hundreds of millions of lives have been saved by pharmaceutical drugs. They may have side effects, I dont think anyone denies that,but if it works Ill choose that over quinoa and spinach to help ease symptoms of my cancer diagnosis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Yes, yes, it’s my fault I got sick. I currently know people with terminal cancer in their 20s, 30s and 40s who had no family history and who lived exemplary lifestyles. Truly exemplary. Nobody is immune.

Also - and I’m quite happy to take an infraction here - but fuck right off with the bolded bit. Had I done that, I’d be celebrating my four year anniversary in my coffin this year. I sincerely hope you aren’t advising anyone in real life with this toxic bullshit. If you are, what you are doing is deeply immoral. And, once again - make no mistake. Woo practitioners are money-grabbers of the highest order. Remember that the next time you bleat about pharma shills.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Welshprince

I am 70 and have never eaten breakfast my entire life. I am in good health and around normal weight. Every individual should just do what they feel is best for them. Until I retired I also very rarely ate lunch, and just had an evening meal, not saying that's for everyone but I was full of energy and thrived. There is no definitive answer, we are all just somewhere on the scale and should just go with a "Gut" instinct!

• Advertisement

Yes, yes, it’s my fault I got sick. I currently know people with terminal cancer in their 20s, 30s and 40s who had no family history and who lived exemplary lifestyles. Truly exemplary. Nobody is immune.

Also - and I’m quite happy to take an infraction here - but fuck right off with the bolded bit. Had I done that, I’d be celebrating my four year anniversary in my coffin this year. I sincerely hope you aren’t advising anyone in real life with this toxic bullshit. If you are, what you are doing is deeply immoral. And, once again - make no mistake. Woo practitioners are money-grabbers of the highest order. Remember that the next time you bleat about pharma shills.
    I wrote "both" in bold. You couldn't go wrong with trying 'both' approaches. You're acting as if I said to only try one approach and that you'll be fine. Probably got so worked up that you didn't notice that word in there!

Most people cannot eat healthy, and I'm sure that all adds up and plays a part in their cancer when and if they get it. I don't see how such people are "money grabbers" if all they do is inspire you to eat "food made by God". Explain it to me? I have never once read or watched anything online where the author said "buy my diet plan where I tell you to eat vegetables... oh wait I already told, can I please have the money anyway?"! There's not a lot to it. If everybody ate like I do, many businesses would die. The real money grabbers are the likes of Coke, Heineken and McDonalds.

There is currently an illusion of progress in medical research. The human genome project has been very disappointing. Take statins for example - the vast majority of people on statins won't benefit, and may get harmful side effects. There's also then the issue of poly-prescription where people are prescribed further medication to deal with the side effects of the initial medication. Things are worst in the U.S of course where 20% of GDP is wasted on healthcare. If they simply applied what we knew about medicine 20 years ago, evenly and fairly across the globe, things would be a lot better. But it's all about money. Doctors aren't going to tell people what I'm saying. I'm already enjoying the perks of my own advice with people telling me I look 22/23 when I'm actually 30.

I wrote "both" in bold. You couldn't go wrong with trying 'both' approaches. You're acting as if I said to only try one approach and that you'll be fine. Probably got so worked up that you didn't notice that word in there!

Most people cannot eat healthy, and I'm sure that all adds up and plays a part in their cancer when and if they get it. I don't see how such people are "money grabbers" if all they do is inspire you to eat "food made by God". Explain it to me? I have never once read or watched anything online where the author said "buy my diet plan where I tell you to eat vegetables... oh wait I already told, can I please have the money anyway?"! There's not a lot to it. If everybody ate like I do, many businesses would die. The real money grabbers are the likes of Coke, Heineken and McDonalds.

There is currently an illusion of progress in medical research. The human genome project has been very disappointing. Take statins for example - the vast majority of people on statins won't benefit, and may get harmful side effects. There's also then the issue of poly-prescription where people are prescribed further medication to deal with the side effects of the initial medication. Things are worst in the U.S of course where 20% of GDP is wasted on healthcare. If they simply applied what we knew about medicine 20 years ago, evenly and fairly across the globe, things would be a lot better. But it's all about money. Doctors aren't going to tell people what I'm saying. I'm already enjoying the perks of my own advice with people telling me I look 22/23 when I'm actually 30.

Those people get lots of money in advertisement and sponsors, not directly selling any products. Anyway what is 'healthy' food, dairy can be healthy for lots of people but unhealthy to those with lactose intolerance, whole grains show promising health benefits for the majority of the population yet somebody with coeliac disease will obviously not get health benefits from eating whole wheat. Healthy diet means a different thing to every single person on the planet. Its just all ridiculous the whole thing, and what monetary gain do irish doctors stand to gain by pushing medicine over 'healthy diet'.Going by your logic my GP should be recommending my grandad to cure his diabetes with healthy greens rather than giving him free insulin. Yet if they did that he would absolutely be dead. And where do you draw the line? Just at cancer? Or does diet cure for example diseases like HIV and AIDS too? What is the limit of power of 'food made by god'?

And the skin thing..look at lots of cancer patients, plenty look young for their age, you can have great skin and be dying inside. Skin is not a good way of measuring internal health or ageing, visible skin ageing is mostly because of sun exposure anyway.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Those people get lots of money in advertisement and sponsors, not directly selling any products. Anyway what is 'healthy' food, dairy can be healthy for lots of people but unhealthy to those with lactose intolerance, whole grains show promising health benefits for the majority of the population yet somebody with coeliac disease will obviously not get health benefits from eating whole wheat. Healthy diet means a different thing to every single person on the planet. Its just all ridiculous the whole thing, and what monetary gain do irish doctors stand to gain by pushing medicine over 'healthy diet'.Going by your logic my GP should be recommending my grandad to cure his diabetes with healthy greens rather than giving him free insulin. Yet if they did that he would absolutely be dead. And where do you draw the line? Just at cancer? Or does diet cure for example diseases like HIV and AIDS too? What is the limit of power of 'food made by god'?

And the skin thing..look at lots of cancer patients, plenty look young for their age, you can have great skin and be dying inside. Skin is not a good way of measuring internal health or ageing, visible skin ageing is mostly because of sun exposure anyway.
    I was talking about healthy food for prevention, not treatment!

Aside from the odd allergy, fruit and veg and nuts are healthy for EVERYONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You know the way when were we younger we would have heard, that going without a breakfast is very dangerous, and that it can actually make you gain weight.

Is that just something that's said to make anorexic kids eat. I think I heard Dr Phil say it to a fat girl who was desperately trying to lose weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6KClPkotxM&t=447s

Thank you

As a child you need breakfast because you're constantly growing. As an adult it's optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Are you on the All Bran John?

• Advertisement

:D:D:D

Wow, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I actually agree with you in theory but I think it's easy to say all of this when you're a young 20 something whippersnapper heavily influenced by the instafitness trend, you're probably in the gym 4 times a week with your blueberry porridge for breakfast and salmon avocado for dinner but remember that the age demographic here is highly varied and everyone has their own way of doing business.

I actually agree with you in theory but I think it's easy to say all of this when you're a young 20 something whippersnapper heavily influenced by the instafitness trend, you're probably in the gym 4 times a week with your blueberry porridge for breakfast and salmon avocado for dinner but remember that the age demographic here is highly varied and everyone has their own way of doing business.

And healthy eating is great but it simply reduces risk of various illnesses, it doesn’t act as a forcefield against them which some people genuinely seem to think. I twitched when I once heard one of the Happy Pair twins saying that eating some vegetable or other “will prevent cancer”. What a statement.

Fair enough, makes more sense. But still, people get sick regardless of their diet.Diet is like really very clearly not a full proof defence against all disease. Do you think this guys sudden cardiac related death in his prime of life had anything related to diet?Swimmer Alexander Dale Oen, fatal heart attack at 26 due to advanced atherosclerosis, it just ran in his family, Im sure he had the diet of an angel
    Alexander+Dale+Oen+Swimming+Day+Ten+14th+FINA+Z6qYB2CZAefl.jpg
    Wouldnt you say he looks healthy?Well he is literally close to death from an advanced illness in that picture
    Dutch model Lotte van der zee, fatal heart attack at 19
    1552120488730.jpg
    Instagram model Felicite tomlinson, fatal heart attack at 18
    rankings-fashion-1552636742.jpeg
    Professional dancer Cameron Boyce, died of seizure at 19
    gettyimages-802901548.jpg
    Just some people I thought of off the top of my head,all very radiant healthy looking young people , sports people and models who relied on their looks and physique and probably had excellent diets to maintain that

Some diseases are just genetic or dumb luck, it would be nice and reassuring to think that all risk factors for all diseases were as easily modifiable as changing diet but unfortunately thats just not the way biology works. Sometimes ill health is just in your genes or cruel fate. Im sure you are aware some young people do die but it does seem as though you really genuinely seem to think that diet is what caused these peoples deaths or a better diet could have prevented their deaths? I think its naive and dangerous to think diet can be so powerful in preventing diseases

wakka12 wrote: »
    Fair enough, makes more sense. But still, people get sick regardless of their diet. Diet is like really very clearly not a full proof defence against all disease. Do you think this guys sudden cardiac related death in his prime of life had anything related to diet?Swimmer Alexander Dale Oen, fatal heart attack at 26 due to advanced atherosclerosis, it just ran in his family, Im sure he had the diet of an angel
    Just some people I thought of off the top of my head,all very radiant healthy looking young people , sports people and models who relied on their looks and physique and probably had excellent diets to maintain that

Some diseases are just genetic or dumb luck, it would be nice and reassuring to think that all risk factors for all diseases were as easily modifiable as changing diet but unfortunately thats just not the way biology works. Sometimes ill health is just in your genes or cruel fate. Im sure you are aware some young people do die but it does seem as though you really genuinely seem to think that diet is what caused these peoples deaths or a better diet could have prevented their deaths? I think its naive and dangerous to think diet can be so powerful in preventing diseases
    Yes people get sick irrespective of diet. I was saying such things with elderly people (who develop diseases) in mind, not young people. And yes, best not to say such things aloud due the sensitivity issue. I would be under the impression that young people falling ill like that would be outside the norm. Obviously I don't like to look upon things that way. What interests me is how so many people these days who have diabetes probably also think it's "dumb luck"! Why is that? The bottom line, is that the benefits of a good lifestyle are understated. And peer pressure trumps education every time! Peer pressure is the driving force behind sugar drinks and alcohol sales. Look at the value our society places on our careers in comparison to our diets. There is something off there. This will all be fun to watch over the next few decades!

The thing is, most people don't know what healthy lifestyle means anyway. Most people aren't going to worry about things mobile radiation, cold/heat shock therapy, etc. For example, most people would be unaware of what this article discusses:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/01/bacon-cancer-processed-meats-nitrates-nitrites-sausages

Advertisement