Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skipping breakfast?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Originally Posted by Naos View Post
    "I've recently heard that because coffee has to be processed by the liver, that it turns your whole system on again. So if you're fasting you should only be on water."

Where did you hear that? I do not believe this to be true.
    Listen from the 7:20 mark. Please come back to me and tell me what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6KClPkotxM

Dr. Rhonda Patrick also mentions that light will start your system...
    Originally Posted by Naos View Post
    "I think the intermittent fasters would argue that when you go beyond 12 hours of eating, that your metabolic enzymes will begin to shut down anyway!

So therefore it's better (for your 16 waking hours), to be eating in a 12 of those hours, than 15/16 hours."

No, they would not argue that. Why would you think that?
    Are you sure? She argues that very point near the start of this video.
    Listen from the 7:20 mark. Please come back to me and tell me what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6KClPkotxM
    Are you sure? She argues that very point near the start of this video.

You're correct - I misread your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Man there's a lot of generalising and bad science in this thread. Breakfast is not some kind of magic bullet whereby eating it automatically equals a good choice. A bad breakfast is going to do a lot more damage than no breakfast. Likewise I know plenty of people who are religious porridge every morning types whose overall diet leaves an awful lot to be desired.

There's no point in looking at any one meal in isolation when examining food habits and lifestyle in general. Breakfast is no more or less valuable or important than any other meal but it has achieved an almost talismanic quality in many people's minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Depends what you mean by breakfast I guess. My breakfast is a couple of oranges and a small bowl of porridge. Pretty ****e but I'm not that hungry but I'm already lean, not trying to lose weight so have to eat.

Thats pretty good and the fact your lean means your fine with even 2 oranges. A lot better than orange juice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I used to houseshare with an obese 26yo woman. She had toast with panda chocolate spread for breakfast every morning. YUCK!
    She'd be fine skipping breakfast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭UCD GroupThink

Naos wrote: »
    Dr. Rhonda Patrick also mentions that light will start your system...
    So you're saying that it's better to fast towards the end of the day than the beginning??

I didn't hear her mention light. Did she mention that somewhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

You know the way when were we younger we would have heard, that going without a breakfast is very dangerous, and that it can actually make you gain weight.

Is that just something that's said to make anorexic kids eat. I think I heard Dr Phil say it to a fat girl who was desperately trying to lose weight.

The only way to gain weight is to consume more calories than you burn. simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭yoke

rogieop wrote: »
    The only way to gain weight is to consume more calories than you burn. simple.

I think the whole point of this thread is to try and figure out if having breakfast has other effects such as predisposing your body to burn more calories over the day, or predisposing your body to be less hungry overall during the day so it becomes easier to eat less.

I think you’ll need to do a proper scientific study on this and tell us the results, I doubt anyone really knows the answer without that.

For anecdotes, there’s always a counter example - eg. for all the people saying medieval farm labourers couldn’t function without a bowl of porridge in the morning - I’m not so sure. I personally find it easier to do a couple of hours of hard training without having a meal after I wake up, compared to if I have a meal I feel full and unable to train as hard. I do binge eat after training though which is the same thing sumo wrestlers do apparently, so I’m not sure if my skipping breakfast helps or hinders my occasional efforts to cut weight. I’m in my late 30s and my weight has been relatively stable over the past 15 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Man there's a lot of generalising and bad science in this thread. Breakfast is not some kind of magic bullet whereby eating it automatically equals a good choice. A bad breakfast is going to do a lot more damage than no breakfast. Likewise I know plenty of people who are religious porridge every morning types whose overall diet leaves an awful lot to be desired.

There's no point in looking at any one meal in isolation when examining food habits and lifestyle in general. Breakfast is no more or less valuable or important than any other meal but it has achieved an almost talismanic quality in many people's minds.

Exactly. Skipping breakfast will not make EVERY person overeat mid-morning.

Just like a big breakfast will not stop ALL people snacking.

These are really lazy, annoying posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

yoke wrote:
    I think you’ll need to do a proper scientific study on this and tell us the results, I doubt anyone really knows the answer without that.

There have been studies done but I'm not sure how vigorous they were in terms of controls, adjusting for lifestyle factors etc. For example, I'd be more interested in seeing a study entirely comprised of people with healthy weights and seeing how many of them are breakfast eaters and how many aren't, rather than a completely randomised sample, where statistically the majority are going to be overweight anyway, given current rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Dial Hard wrote: »
    There have been studies done but I'm not sure how vigorous they were in terms of controls, adjusting for lifestyle factors etc. For example, I'd be more interested in seeing a study entirely comprised of people with healthy weights and seeing how many of them are breakfast eaters and how many aren't, rather than a completely randomised sample, where statistically the majority are going to be overweight anyway, given current rates.

I'd wonder that too. The gold-standard is apparently peer-reviewed journal articles but my course in college included journal club, a tutorial series devoted to critiquing peer-reviewed articles. Some dubious papers do make it through the review system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

So you're saying that it's better to fast towards the end of the day than the beginning??

I didn't hear her mention light. Did she mention that somewhere else?

It was mentioned at the start.

To be honest, when to start really depends. For example, I fast during the day and have my first meal around 2pm. The reason being that once I eat, I tend to want to keep eating. If I was to eat at 8am, I'd be peckish all day.

Probably the wrong season to be trying it but I'd suggest you give it a shot one day.

I'd suggest fast at the weekend first so you won't be embarrassed by the hunger noises, after a few days it just stops.

Eat a low carb/high protein/high fat meal as your last meal on a Friday night around 9pm and then don't eat until around 1pm Sat. Do similar on the Sunday. Then try to do it during the working week.

Do it for one week and see how you feel. You won't die. You won't pass out. You won't get fat. You won't get skinny. Just try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I posted a link to the daily mail above about this subject. Findings were:

Eating breakfast can kickstart digestion and fire up our metabolism
    Helps regulate blood sugar levels and can improve exercise performance
    However People who skip breakfast tend to eat fewer calories over the whole day (so they don’t over eat at lunch)
    But they have less energy and may unconsciously become less active

And also

Trials of people who were selected into breakfast and non breakfast groups didn’t show any differences in weight gain or loss when one group was compared to the other.
    However in the general population skippers of breakfast tended to be heavier

So, a mixed review.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

Graces7 wrote: »
    That advice is wise in that if you skip breakfast you are then going to get hungry midmorning and eat junk. Eating a breakfast stops that.

Fasting also is dodgy; the body sees what is happening and slows down .

LOL:pac::pac:

topper75 wrote: »
    Part of a high metabolism is eating small amounts regularly. Ask any pigmy shrew or mouse and they'll tell you.
    Fasting will slow your metabolism. As will long periods sitting. Avoid both if you want to burn fat.

More Bull**** :pac::pac::pac:

letsgo2018 wrote: »
    LOL:pac::pac:

Convincing.

DS86DS wrote: »
    These health nutters are truly a wonder of the modern world. They want to be healthy by skipping the most important meal of the day. Breakfast is the meal after 8 hours of sleep, and for one to fall back on for the working hours of the morning.

It must be a miserable experience to work through the morning hours on a starving stomach.

I like breakfast myself but have known so many people throughout my life who just have no appetite for breakfast. The thought of it made some of them even feel sick. So they’re not going to be miserably struggling along on an empty stomach until lunchtime. I don’t know why people struggle to understand that. And some would break the fast at elevenses so that’s not very long to wait at all.

And of the people I’ve known who don’t eat breakfast, plenty were slim. I’d say the overweight percentage of non-breakfast eaters probably matches the general population overweight percentage.

I’ve always felt sorry for non-breakfast eaters in this regard. People pontificating to them to force themselves to eat a meal they don’t want to eat. The opinion on it all seems to be changing a bit to “eat when you feel ready to”. Much better. You mentioned “health nutters” in your post. Well, to be honest, it seems to me that health nuttiness drove the “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” mantra.

There is so much garbage been written on this thread by people who think they know what they are talking about but havent a friggen clue. It all boils down to their ignorance of the words 'starvation' and 'hunger'. Firstly starvation or starving has nothing to do with the time between meals. Starving or Starvation is muscle wasting and this can only occur in very low bodyfat levels low teens for women and single digit bodyfat for men so its not ever anything that happens in between meals. Also hunger is not that tummy grumping food withdrawal feeling one may get when they havent eaten in a few hours or when they have denied their body a meal when its used to getting it. True hunger is mental and cant be experienced in a few hours . Its days and can be up to weeks if you have enough fat on you .Lastly people forget that we store fat for a reason , FAT IS FOOD PEOPLE and not only is it the most calorie dense macro with 9 cals /g but stored bodyfat also contains essential nutrients . The mass availibility of food coupled with the peoples ability to be inactive is in historic terms a very modern concept. Human beings are meant to fast because of our ability to store fat which tieds us over until we were forced to actively go and hunt and kill our next meal . If human beings werent able to store bodyfat or fast we would have become extinct 1000s of years ago. There was no mr Kellog around back then. Also to add its in a fasted state when people have most energy. The fight or flight hormone Ghrelin is fired up which gives us the energy to be focused and alert, that coupled with being in ketosis and running on stored bodyfat . Heres something to consider, how will ye all feel after your christmas dinner this year? You will have just eaten 1000s of calories but will you be full of energy, Nope. The massive surge in the hormone Insulin will make everyone sleepy and just fit to flake out on the couch

Most of the faddish replies on the thread tend to come from the non breakfast eaters, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Couldn’t ever skip breakfast.

Usually have a bowl of porridge around 7:30, that keeps me going until midday.

Most of the faddish replies on the thread tend to come from the non breakfast eaters, though.

Well, I’m sticking up for non-breakfast eaters and I like breakfast.

Have you ever had a meal put in front of you when you’re not remotely hungry? Say, someone made you a meal, not realising you had already eaten. Well, it’s been explained to me by some non-breakfast eaters that that’s the level of lack of appetite we’re dealing with. Total madness to expect that person to eat breakfast. And it’s not a new faddy thing. I’m 35 and have known non-breakfast eaters my whole life.

• Advertisement

Have you ever had a meal put in front of you when you’re not remotely hungry? Say, someone made you a meal, not realising you had already eaten. Well, it’s been explained to me by some non-breakfast eaters that that’s the level of lack of appetite we’re dealing with. Total madness to expect that person to eat breakfast. And it’s not a new faddy thing. I’m 35 and have known non-breakfast eaters my whole life.

Yes. When I didn’t eat breakfast. :-)

However my story is an anecdote not a statistic. So I won’t go into it.

Yes. When I didn’t eat breakfast. :-)

However my story is an anecdote not a statistic. So I won’t go into it.

Well, for some, that lack of appetite at breakfast time is every single day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Between the stuff saying breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and other stuff saying intermittent fasting is great, fcuk it all and do what suits you.

I don't eat breakfast. Everyone tells me I should, it kicks starts metabolism, etc etc.

Yet I've lost 4.5 stone in just over a year, have plenty of energy, work on my feet all day, eat healthy lunches and tbh I enjoy my food more if I'm hungry.

Do what suits you. If you fast til midday but then eat junk food, then start having a healthy breakfast. If you're skipping breakfast but eating healthy food within your calorie allowance for the day, then carry on.

I don't like breakfast so I won't eat it. Hasn't done me any harm.

I don't like breakfast so I won't eat it. Hasn't done me any harm.
    What if you're stomach was rumbling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

What if you're stomach was rumbling?

It doesn't usually til 11, and I take my break around 12. If it does before then, I drink some water. I very rarely feel hungry in the morning though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

silverharp wrote: »
    so what manual labour do you do now? I said people fasted for 12 hours ~8pm to ~8am. As for now if you commute and have a sedentary job you only need to eat twice a day and there is no particular need for breakfast and you don't need to eat a Snickers unless you are over eating all the time anyway and your blood sugar is all over the place.

If one is going to eat two meals a day, then it would make sense to opt for Breakfast and Dinner.

I'm not sure where you're getting this idea of people fasting in times past. A person working on a farm or in a factory in the year 1860 would require thousands of calories a day, sometimes up to twice the amount of calories as what people need now given the physicality of the labour.

You might get away with skipping a bowl of porridge or some boiled eggs if you're sitting in a modern comfortable tractor.

In times past, a farmer or miner wouldn't have the energy to partake in intense physical labour without a substantial meal beforehand.

People tend to forget.....a modern 21st century tractor probably does what would have taken a 100 Medieval farm labourers to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's conditioning really. I didn't eat breakfast for years and I would always have said that I just wasn't hungry at breakfast time.

At one stage I basically started forcing myself to have something when I got up, and after a few weeks it was totally normal. Now I'd be hungry if I didn't have something within an hour of getting up.

I'm pretty sure if I stopped having breakfast for about a month, I'd get used to it.

Being a "non-breakfast eater" is not a personality thing or a predisposition thing. It's just a habit. One you can break - if you want to. If it suits you not to, then bull on.

Naos wrote: »
    It was mentioned at the start.

To be honest, when to start really depends. For example, I fast during the day and have my first meal around 2pm. The reason being that once I eat, I tend to want to keep eating. If I was to eat at 8am, I'd be peckish all day.

Probably the wrong season to be trying it but I'd suggest you give it a shot one day.

I'd suggest fast at the weekend first so you won't be embarrassed by the hunger noises, after a few days it just stops.
    I don't know why it should make a difference in winter?

Oh, and another thing. With this idea, is one expected to eat less in total? What if I want to eat what I would eat over 15 hrs, in the space of 10 hrs??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I don't know why it should make a difference in winter?

Oh, and another thing. With this idea, is one expected to eat less in total? What if I want to eat what I would eat over 15 hrs, in the space of 10 hrs??
    If your goal is weight loss and you eat 2000 calories, it doesn't matter if you eat them over 10 or 15 hours. Once you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight.

• Advertisement

................ fcuk it all and do what suits you.

I don't eat breakfast. Everyone tells me I should, it kicks starts metabolism, etc etc.

Yet I've lost 4.5 stone in just over a year, have plenty of energy, work on my feet all day, eat healthy lunches and tbh I enjoy my food more if I'm hungry.

Do what suits you..............

Indeed, I lost 3 stone in 6 months recently.
    I had breakfast every day but my weight loss was more or less a linear 1.5 lbs / week and I was eating 700/800 kcals per day below maintenance calories.

It's not when you eat that's key, it's what you eat and what you need to eat.

Advertisement