Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skipping breakfast?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That myth has been debunked.
    What myth?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Gael23 wrote: »
    What myth?

That your digestive system needs a kickstart after a fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Well breakfast definitely does bring on a trip to the sh!tter. Experiences that myself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

I never skip breakfast. At 7.30am every motioning I usually have a medium rare ribeye steak, 2 eggs over easy, couple of tomatoes and fried onion, 4 slices of toast and a pot of coffee. I will invariably need an almighty dump at 10am but it is what my metabolism is attuned to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I never skip breakfast. At 7.30am every motioning I usually have a medium rare ribeye steak, 2 eggs over easy, couple of tomatoes and fried onion, 4 slices of toast and a pot of coffee. I will invariably need an almighty dump at 10am but it is what my metabolism is attuned to.

I'm guessing by your user name and your high protein breakfast you are a body builder?

Sounds like a lovely breakfast but would you not get sick of it after having it every day for a lengthy period of time?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

killanena wrote: »
    I'm guessing by your user name and your high protein breakfast you are a body builder?

Sounds like a lovely breakfast but would you not get sick of it after having it every day for a lengthy period of time?

Well I haven’t yet. It’s truly scrumptious!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

according to this if you eat breakfast cereals you might be a bit of a wa@nker

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/nov/28/breakfast-health-america-kellog-food-lifestyle
    It was around this time, in the middle of a general healthier living fad, that breakfast cereals got their start at sanatoriums founded by followers of the newly formed Seventh-day Adventist religion.

These religious health gurus opened sanatoriums and introduced people to vegetarian diets and eating bland, whole wheat as a way to counter ill health. The first cereal, invented by James Caleb Jackson, and the better known Kellogg’s brand, invented by John Harvey Kellogg, were both born at sanatoriums.

Jackson was a preacher, and Kellogg a religious man who believed that masturbation was the greatest evil, which bland, healthy foods like corn flakes could prevent. Both Jackson and Kellogg were early Seventh-day Adventists, further tying a sense of religious morality into their ideas around the importance of healthy eating.

Using moralizing rhetoric to sell the idea of a healthy breakfast in the 19th century changed how people thought about the meal, says Carroll. That moralization wasn’t just around religion and health: it also incorporated our reverence for hard work. In the early 20th century, the idea that if you ate a lighter, healthier breakfast you were going to be more efficient and productive at work added “another moralizing layer”, according to Carroll.

The cliche that breakfast is the most important meal – and one with very specific food groups – developed from those early days of cereal.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

I only eat when i am hungry.. used to swear by breakfast for years.. then wasn't hungry in morning for the last 2 years.

then only recently been having very low energy in morning & hunger--- started having porridge with blueberries....noticed big difference in alertness and energy levels

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Game of Thrones Fan

Keano wrote: »
    I had to Google this Dr Hyman and oh he is one of these heal your body through food guys! Also he reckons people drinking diet drinks still get fat because the diet drink counts, not it bloody doesn't. It's the Big Mac the had with it!
    So smug aren't you! Tell me, what's stupid about healing your body through food? And what's the alternative? Healing your body through the pharmaceutical drugs pushed at us by doctors. Drugs that don't have side effects? and that aren't manufactured to make someone else rich?

How did you so easily bump into the one stupid thing he said (if it's even stupid) by a simple quick google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

How did you so easily bump into the one stupid thing he said (if it's even stupid) by a simple quick google search.

How did you manage to get incensed by a thread that's been dead for over 8 months???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I always skip breakfast, I'm never hunger early in the morning and I cant break the habit of wanting the extra few minutes for sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Greyfox wrote: »
    I always skip breakfast, I'm never hunger early in the morning and I cant break the habit of wanting the extra few minutes for sleep

I’m the same.

I might get in a couple of slices of toast or even a banana before heading out to join the “rat race” but I’m usually good until my morning break at 10/10:30am.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Wasn't bothered with breakfast as a child, but when I turned eighteen (body conscious) somebody gave me the anology of feeding the boiler of a steam train, shovelling in the coal for a brighter fire with more power, and I got the message about feeding my muscles & my brain after a long sleep, hence breaking the fast (break-fast)...

Seemed to make sense at the time, so I still break the fast with a healthy meal at the start of the day (nothing fried).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

If breakfast is 2 fags and a strong coffee then every day. Though I never have an appetite till I get a bit of a walk and fresh air .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

my breakfast is lunch. i guess i brunch every day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Odelay wrote: »
    Lol dr Phil. Is he even a real doctor?
    Do real doctors watch the show?

Yup, a real doctor, as in doctor, not medical doctor. PhD in Clinical Psychology

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Originally Posted by Keano:
    "I had to Google this Dr Hyman and oh he is one of these heal your body through food guys! Also he reckons people drinking diet drinks still get fat because the diet drink counts, not it bloody doesn't. It's the Big Mac the had with it!"

So smug aren't you! Tell me, what's stupid about healing your body through food? And what's the alternative? Healing your body through the pharmaceutical drugs pushed at us by doctors. Drugs that don't have side effects? and that aren't manufactured to make someone else rich?

Drinking diet drinks can lead to greater weight gain than drinks with sugar. The diet drinks give the illusion of sugar to your body and if your addicted or very prone to sugar it makes you crave it more the more you drink. You'll often find these people finding that sugar fix elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I have never eaten breakfast at home for as long as I can remember and I am never hungry before lunch. I cannot stuff anything in my face after just waking up and I am still surprised anyone can.

My first meal of the day would be lunch with no snacks before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

killanena wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Keano:
    Drinking diet drinks can lead to greater weight gain than drinks with sugar. The diet drinks give the illusion of sugar to your body and if your addicted or very prone to sugar it makes you crave it more the more you drink. You'll often find these people finding that sugar fix elsewhere.

I do not believe this has ever been scientifically proven, although there are many theories. I think that this is something the soft drink industry has promoted to give the impression that their regular product is not that bad.

Even if they would drink (or eat) the exact equivalent amount as the sugar content would be in the regular version, the effect would be the same not more.

What it can do is making you believe you can indulge in other fattening stuff as you have not been drinking anything with sugar. It is a bit like going for a jog and then have five beers because you "burnt some calories".

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

I find one of those nutri bars is a good way to kick off the day ....gives the gut something to work on but not too filling...that and a cup o tae keeps me going until lunch time .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I read plenty of convincing stuff about breakfast being better for your metabolism in the long run etc, but I just don't feel like eating when I get up, so I don't eat until I get hungry, which is usually about two hours after I get up. It just doesn't feel right to eat when I don't feel like eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I think it's known that adults don't need breakfast and probably would be healtier without.

When looking at tribes around the world that have had no western influence the adults don't eat breakfast and eat in an 8 hour or less window. humans probably evolved from thousands of years of eating in much smaller time windows. Cave men did not wake up in the morning and go to the fridge to get thier breakfast. Probably the longer eating window emerged in the 20th century and when most people started having electricity in thier lives.

Also I heard that alot of athletes eat in an 8 hour window or less. I think I also heard the Dublin Football team eat in an 6 hour window.

If you have always eaten breakfast initialy changing to skipping it will make you feel hungry and your stomach will rumle in the morning because your body got use to you eating then. But after a while your body will reconise the new patern and adapt. Would probably adapt with in a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

Graces7 wrote: »
    That advice is wise in that if you skip breakfast you are then going to get hungry midmorning and eat junk. Eating a breakfast stops that.

Fasting also is dodgy; the body sees what is happening and slows down .

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I find one of those nutri bars is a good way to kick off the day ....gives the gut something to work on but not too filling...that and a cup o tae keeps me going until lunch time .

the health Nazis will tell you to stay away but they're fine. My European mates just eat normal food like this and are in better shape than anybody harping on about stupid fad breakfasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I rarely eat breakfast, but when I do, I'm starving by 11.30. When I dont have breakfast i can get to 1 no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It's common sense surely. If you're hungry in the morning eat, if not wait.

If you're putting on weight in either scenario, change your diet.

Personally, I have small meals throughout the day. Definitely works best for me from a productive point of view. If I'm hungry, I'm less productive. Depends on the individual I guess.

I generally eat two big meals per day.

During the week it’s a big lunch and a big dinner late in the evening and at weekends it’s a big breakfast (around 11am) and a big dinner in the evening.

During the week I’d eat a single small slice of bread and a few cups of tea for breakfast when I get to work (around 9:30am). At weekends I’d have a big fry every Saturday and Sunday late morning but would eat nothing or very little else before dinner.

I do very little snacking during the week might have a small snack here and there at weekends.

There's nothing stupid about sensible eating for health, but there's something very stupid about dismissing modern drugs.

The human landscape would be very different without modern medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Wasn't bothered with breakfast as a child, but when I turned eighteen (body conscious) somebody gave me the anology of feeding the boiler of a steam train, shovelling in the coal for a brighter fire with more power, and I got the message about feeding my muscles & my brain after a long sleep, hence breaking the fast (break-fast)...

Seemed to make sense at the time, so I still break the fast with a healthy meal at the start of the day (nothing fried).

There’s nothing unhealthy about a fried or scrambled egg. The egg is a superfood and you don’t need to use loads of oil or butter. Fat in small amounts is grand and indeed necessary. Indeed, I thought the vilification of fat was over.
    Raconteuse wrote: »
    I read plenty of convincing stuff about breakfast being better for your metabolism in the long run etc, but I just don't feel like eating when I get up, so I don't eat until I get hungry, which is usually about two hours after I get up. It just doesn't feel right to eat when I don't feel like eating.

I don’t know why anyone should force themselves to eat. If the breakfast-skipper feels good and isn’t hungry and getting enough food when you look at the day overall, I say go with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Without pharmaceutical drugs, I’d have died four years ago. If I’d tried to heal myself just with food, I’d have died within months.

Oh and as if all those woo practitioners aren’t in it for the money either. Do you honestly think they have no interest in profiting from sick people? Why are they never criticised for taking huge sums of money of vulnerable dying people (who still end up dying)?

Advertisement