Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avengers: Endgame [** SPOILERS FROM POST 613 **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

pixelburp wrote: »
    Is Avatar 2 still happening, has it even started shooting?

Been filming for ages and ages but release date push back more times than I can count.

And there’s 5 films planned apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

p to the e wrote: »
    You can bet your arse that Avatar will get a re-release prior to the new Avatar and may take that record back.

I'd be doubtful about that. Even though Disney now own it, I would think they'd prefer to keep their baby at number 1.

Re-releasing it in theatres could also confuse audiences and mess with some of the hype for the sequels. I'd say more likely is that they'll put Avatar up on Disney + and leverage it for signups for people who want to rewatch it.

Can see Avatar becoming a massive failure though. It really seemed like a lot of its success was based on a perfect storm of tailwinds rather than huge love for it as a franchise. Emma Watts taking over leadership of it, who ran X-men into the ground, doesn't inspire confidence about directing the building of a larger world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Foxtrol wrote: »

Can see Avatar becoming a massive failure though. It really seemed like a lot of its success was based on a perfect storm of tailwinds rather than huge love for it as a franchise. Emma Watts taking over leadership of it, who ran X-men into the ground, doesn't inspire confidence about directing the building of a larger world.

I agree, tbh whilst I enjoyed Avatar I never quite understood why it made as much money as it did. It's not a film I've wanted to rewatch over and over.

With that said, James Cameron is one of those directors (probably like Nolan/Tarantino and a few others) whose name alone can bring in a lot of money, and his movies have a way of becoming these juggernauts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I agree, tbh whilst I enjoyed Avatar I never quite understood why it made as much money as it did. It's not a film I've wanted to rewatch over and over.

With that said, James Cameron is one of those directors (probably like Nolan/Tarantino and a few others) whose name alone can bring in a lot of money, and his movies have a way of becoming these juggernauts.

I feel like the reason it made alot of money was the 3D it really was revolutionary at the time and it was used really well before it became a gimmick again....

Story wise there was nothing new there, and agree with the sentiment that it's not a movie you'd rush to watch again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was also one of the few films that shot in 3d, rather than performed after the fact via awful retroactive conversion that often left films darkened and blurry. To be fair, Cameron knew the technology and got the best out of it, making it one of the few occasions the 3D worked as intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Titanic is one I dont get. How is that one of the highest ever grossing movie :confused: Its fine like, but I dont see why or how its at the top
    Loughc wrote: »
    I feel like the reason it made alot of money was the 3D it really was revolutionary at the time and it was used really well before it became a gimmick again....

Story wise there was nothing new there, and agree with the sentiment that it's not a movie you'd rush to watch again.

The story is a retelling of Pocahontas :D
    They called the element they had to get, "unobtanium"... Unironically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Titanic is one I dont get. How is that one of the highest ever grossing movie :confused: Its fine like, but I dont see why or how its at the top
    I worked in a cinema when it was released. There was a lot of repeat business where some women would come 4, 5 or more times. Then it was released again for Valentines Day and got another couple of weeks run.

I despise that movie. It was bad enough that it was terrible and near 3 hours long but the same women would stay to the very end of the credits listening to the terrible soundtrack. I have some sympathy with cinema workers when there's a Marvel film showing and all of us waiting for some poxy end credit scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

pixelburp wrote: »
    It was also one of the few films that shot in 3d, rather than performed after the fact via awful retroactive conversion that often left films darkened and blurry. To be fair, Cameron knew the technology and got the best out of it, making it one of the few occasions the 3D worked as intended.

I think retrospectively it tends to be more and more disliked by audiences. Not sure if the pull is there for a sequel to be attractive to audiences...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sigh. Damnit, just when I thought I'd got over the garbage time travel logic, I come across one of the "How it Should Have Ended" videos. Like, they're not wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭5star02707

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Full on cheese. Glad they chopped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I might just have broken if that had been in the original i saw in the cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

If anybody was interested, which they shouldn't be as it's very illegal and bold, I've heard some rumours that there are 1080p copies available for download.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just watched it again, it’s growing on me like infinity war.

Love it at the end where WS says “I will miss you cap” or something like that. Didn’t click when I first saw it.

Really good fan service movie that’s got something for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

If anybody was interested, which they shouldn't be as it's very illegal and bold, I've heard some rumours that there are 1080p copies available for download.

Been waiting ages for it seems like, just got it so time to bunker down for the next 3 hours:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Drumpot wrote: »
    Just watched it again, it’s growing on me like infinity war.

Love it at the end where WS says “I will miss you cap” or something like that. Didn’t click when I first saw it.

Really good fan service movie that’s got something for everybody.

WS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Winter Soldier

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Ah i was like thinking back who was there at the end, was like there was Bucky, Sam and Hulk. Was like what does WS stand for lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Finally got around to seeing it last night....... Very disappointed with it, 3 hours of nothing... This particular story arc has been flogged to death,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Finally got around to seeing it last night....... Very disappointed with it, 3 hours of nothing... This particular story arc has been flogged to death,

Couldn't agree more. Cannot fathom the critical acclaim of this one. This coming from a huge Marvel movie fan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Pretty run-of-the-mill stuff. Not a bad movie, but not great one either. Nowhere near as good as Infinity War and the whole time travel and alternate universes/timelines shtick, whether it's movies or TV, is boring and has been boring for a long time. I have zero interest in what's coming in "Phase 4", also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Relikk wrote: »
    Pretty run-of-the-mill stuff. Not a bad movie, but not great one either. Nowhere near as good as Infinity War and the whole time travel and alternate universes/timelines shtick, whether it's movies or TV, is boring and has been boring for a long time. I have zero interest in what's coming in "Phase 4", also.

Yeah... infinity war was near prefect... a huge drop to Endgame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Why didn't Bucky become Captain America?

Captain Marvel is beautiful

The planned line up of the next films doesnt drag me in.
    Im all marvel'd out i think.

To be fair, i watched this again last night and still enjoyed it. Thanos is such a brilliant villan. Brolin does him superbly.

Got goosebumps in the cinema when cap gives the "Avengers.............Assemble" and i got it again last night. Loved that ****

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

To be fair This was 21 or 22 films leading to this film. That’s a pretty substantial achievement both in story telling and audience engagement. Over ten years.

Mileage may vary on how the finale paid off for each of us. Very differently it seems.

That said I think they should let it rest for a few years. The same talent arent involved in the next phase. And people even hardcore fans might need a breather after endgame. And how it ended.

I dunno.

Problem is i think after rewatching, they've lost two of the most genuine characters in Cap and Ironman, and two bloody good actors who portayed the rolea perfectly.

Problem is
    Captain America and Iromman are finished and do i really give a **** about the rest of the group. The dynamic between those 2 tied this whole phase together.

So it will be hard to get me invested again in the next phase after those 2 dying/living on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's just fan service.

When you see as many "easter eggs" in one film you know it's to cover a bad plot and story.

This is not an ok film. It's a bad film only held up by what went before and hype. On it's own it's dreadful.

With Cap, ScarJo and Ironman gone I might bail on this at this point tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    3 hours of nothing

Some people do not deserve films

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That’s a pretty substantial achievement both in story telling and audience engagement. Over ten years.

I've hard this a lot and I'm not entirely convinced by it TBH. It's primarily an achievement of logistics and raw corporate financial investment above all else.

The MCU is actually fairly rudimentary when it comes to long-form or serialised storytelling. The vast majority of entries are essentially standalone with limited character development or major narrative stakes carrying over from film to film. That might seem harsh, but you can fairly easily dip into any of the films (Endgame arguably aside since it's part two of a two part story) and get a good grip on everything that's important. Sure, some details do payoff over multiple films (and Endgame is heavier on callbacks than any of the others), but they're pretty straightforward. Even if you take Captain America's arc in terms of his relationship with Peggy - one storyline that does legitimately echo across several of the movies - there are multiple films where that's at best an afterthought and often completely insignificant.

If you contrast it to serialised storytelling in TV, it's a whole different thing. You can't dip into an episode of a long-form, multi-series 'prestige' drama easily - watch episode 8 of Breaking Bad season 4 and you'll lose most of the nuance even if you grasp a vague idea of the current conflict. Watch Avengers: Infinity War without having seen Iron Man 3 or Black Panther and you'll be grand.

Obviously TV and film are different mediums so they're hardly going to be the same thing, but I don't really believe the MCU so far has been a particularly complicated form of multi-part storytelling even with that in mind. The only substantial link many of the films have to each other is a post-credits teaser. I mean, a certain amount of credit is due for getting all these A-list actors in the same place for large amounts of time reasonably regularly, and releasing two dozen films in such quick succession fairly efficiently (a few eyebrow raising cases of dropped directors aside). But as said I feel that's more of a logistical achievement than an artistic one - and I did not get anywhere near the same thrill from the climactic 22nd Marvel film as I did from, say, seasons of careful, complex build up coming to a head in Breaking Bad or The Shield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I've hard this a lot and I'm not entirely convinced by it TBH. It's primarily an achievement of logistics and raw corporate financial investment above all else.

The MCU is actually fairly rudimentary when it comes to long-form or serialised storytelling. The vast majority of entries are essentially standalone with limited character development or major narrative stakes carrying over from film to film. That might seem harsh, but you can fairly easily dip into any of the films (Endgame arguably aside since it's part two of a two part story) and get a good grip on everything that's important. Sure, some details do payoff over multiple films (and Endgame is heavier on callbacks than any of the others), but they're pretty straightforward. Even if you take Captain America's arc in terms of his relationship with Peggy - one storyline that does legitimately echo across several of the movies - there are multiple films where that's at best an afterthought and often completely insignificant.

If you contrast it to serialised storytelling in TV, it's a whole different thing. You can't dip into an episode of a long-form, multi-series 'prestige' drama easily - watch episode 8 of Breaking Bad season 4 and you'll lose most of the nuance even if you grasp a vague idea of the current conflict. Watch Avengers: Infinity War without having seen Iron Man 3 or Black Panther and you'll be grand.

Obviously TV and film are different mediums so they're hardly going to be the same thing, but I don't really believe the MCU so far has been a particularly complicated form of multi-part storytelling even with that in mind. The only substantial link many of the films have to each other is a post-credits teaser. I mean, a certain amount of credit is due for getting all these A-list actors in the same place for large amounts of time reasonably regularly, and releasing two dozen films in such quick succession fairly efficiently (a few eyebrow raising cases of dropped directors aside). But as said I feel that's more of a logistical achievement than an artistic one - and I did not get anywhere near the same thrill from the climactic 22nd Marvel film as I did from, say, seasons of careful, complex build up coming to a head in Breaking Bad or The Shield.

I feel you’re really speaking out of both sides of your mouth here. I don’t get how you claim to accept that TV and films are different mediums but then judge the complexity of the MCU blockbuster to two of the most critically acclaimed shows in history. You also seem to see it as a negative that it is possible to dip into most of the MCU movies without the requirement of watching all of the others. Are Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul also ‘pretty straight forward’ because you can easily enjoy the latter without necessarily watching the former?

Attempting to downplay the link between many of the movies to a ‘post-credit teaser’ is just wrong. I agree each movie has a differing impact on the MCU but characters regularly cross paths throughout, their actions impact the universe they all live in, these impacts drive the narratives of later movies, items that appear in earlier movies become key in later movies (e.g. infinity stones and quantum realm), and we see characters develop throughout the movies.

Your chose of comparison in your argument to the shows you chose actually says it all about the achievement of the MCU. They’ve managed to succeed in doing what many in the film industry failed in the past, despite many previous efforts working with smaller worlds and better known and relatable characters than the MCU. Just because the complexity doesn’t reach the levels of top TV shows doesn’t lessen the acheivement in storyteling and audience engagement.

Advertisement