Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

antodeco wrote: »
    Adamocovic wrote: »
    At least the dutch will more than likely serve pints at their track :P

Anyone know exactly why the Spanish GP doesn't serve alcohol? I know the hospital suites have it (not that I've been in them!) but why is the reason on track it isn't sold? Surely would bring in a lot more money if it was.

Ive had alcohol on the Spanish GP on multiple times! Saying that, I have been in about 3 years, so it may have changed!

EDIT: Nevermind, I read the rest of the post!

Anyway, in relation to the 0.0% alcohol piece, I actually think its a way for these companies to get kids hooked onto their products at an early stage.

Just imagine if Marlboro brought out a "tar and nicotine free version" of a cigarette (and it looked the exact same), there would be uproar, as it would be perceived to being "targeted advertising to get 'non-smokers' to smoke". Sure, didnt they ban chocolate cigarettes for that EXACT reason?

There were chocolate cigarettes years ago but they are banned. To stop juveniles smoking, menthol was banned.
    For alcohol free beer, paulaner, Erdinger, Baltika, Gerstl and stiegl are great. Outside of Ireland there are far more brands, also in the Radler section with excellent options. And I know people are holding their noses with alcohol free beer, but compared to carling, Heineken and those other mass beers I prefer them anytime.
    BTW for the race thread, would be cool if someone else could start one as I won't be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Harika wrote: »

so we'll get another ****ty Tilkedrome instead of one of the greatest tracks on the planet, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

F1 is finished. Crap races on crap tracks from here on. Races are always going to be boring if you have ultra engineered cars racing around ultra engineered circuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

McLaren have now adopted the Alfa Romeo and Ferrari style front wing.

Ferrari are running a new upgraded engine now they brought the upgrade in ahead of schedule. Alfa Romeo and Haas will not yet adopt this engine and are staying on schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

F1 has been "finished" as long as I've been watching it since around 1993, textbook nostalgia bias. It has always been hailed as better in the past.

That's not saying your criticisms are not valid however, it's always a shame to see classic tracks make way for bland modern tracks.

I'd love to see the French GP return to Magny Cours, that Paul Ricard is an optical abomination will all that horrible stripy paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

BTW for the race thread, would be cool if someone else could start one as I won't be able to.

Thanks for doing the race threads, I just kind of come in expecting them to be there :)

Round 5 in your honour https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057979416

With F1 bringing in 18 inch wheels for 2021, F2 will run them starting from next season. Good idea, gives Pirelli a year to work with them and solve any issues which might come up before F1 adopts it

https://twitter.com/FIA_F2/status/1126469053944668161

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

skipper_G wrote: »
    With F1 bringing in 18 inch wheels for 2021, F2 will run them starting from next season. Good idea, gives Pirelli a year to work with them and solve any issues which might come up before F1 adopts it

https://twitter.com/FIA_F2/status/1126469053944668161

What sort of impact will the change have?
    I hope it's going to be positive, but I just can't get used to the look of them. No doubt will eventually but just one of those things that looks so weird when first seen.

25891.jpg

Nic_Col wrote: »
    F1 has been "finished" as long as I've been watching it since around 1993, textbook nostalgia bias. It has always been hailed as better in the past.

That's not saying your criticisms are not valid however, it's always a shame to see classic tracks make way for bland modern tracks.

I'd love to see the French GP return to Magny Cours, that Paul Ricard is an optical abomination will all that horrible stripy paint.

How are they doing for viewing figures and attendance? I'll be very interested to see which GPs can hold on through the next recession that comes along.
    I've had a few phases of drifting away from watching F1 and I can feel another one starting. This time though after a boring race I can't think of any reason to watch the next one. Noise is ****, cars aren't exciting to look at or watch around the tracks, drivers are afraid to put the boot down during a race. I disagreed with some criticisms over the last few years but it's all added up to a massive pot of 'meh' this year in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

How are they doing for viewing figures and attendance? I'll be very interested to see which GPs can hold on through the next recession that comes along.
    I've had a few phases of drifting away from watching F1 and I can feel another one starting. This time though after a boring race I can't think of any reason to watch the next one. Noise is ****, cars aren't exciting to look at or watch around the tracks, drivers are afraid to put the boot down during a race. I disagreed with some criticisms over the last few years but it's all added up to a massive pot of 'meh' this year in my opinion.

I'd say you need to phrase the question in terms of how much money F1 is making from selling the rights. So while far fewer people are watching on Sky sports, the ones who do watch are paying through the nose for it.

It depends on how the sum paid by sky compares to the sum the received on free to air tv.

I hope it's going to be positive, but I just can't get used to the look of them. No doubt will eventually but just one of those things that looks so weird when first seen.

Not sure if it will make any difference to the racing but it will impact the cars in a lot of ways so there's an immediate financial impact, the teams do enjoy spending stupid money for any advantage. A bigger rim reduces the volume of air inside the tyre and the changed profile will impact elasticity and in turn the suspension. Brakes will have to be redesigned to optimise airflow and cooling. Aerodynamics will be massively impacted because the current gen cars are built around controlling and optimising airflow around the tyres.

Don't know about attendances, but viewing figures have definitely taken a hit over the last decade, something in the range of 15-20%. But as El Duderino says they are making more money still, don't Sky pay something like 150 million a year for the rights ? That's just UK & Ireland, what about other countries, I think Sky Italia also have an exclusive deal.

Another thing to consider is F1 TV, I don't know if they release stats on the subscriptions for that. Every sub there is 1 less TV viewer

skipper_G wrote: »
    Don't know about attendances, but viewing figures have definitely taken a hit over the last decade, something in the range of 15-20%. But as El Duderino says they are making more money still, don't Sky pay something like 150 million a year for the rights ? That's just UK & Ireland, what about other countries, I think Sky Italia also have an exclusive deal.

Another thing to consider is F1 TV, I don't know if they release stats on the subscriptions for that. Every sub there is 1 less TV viewer

It cant be a good long term plan because it's lost the critical mass where you can talk about F1 with the lads and other lads will watch it because its on free to air tv. That's how I started watching in the first place. But i'd say they aren't suffering right now or in the short term future.

China is probably where the great opportunity for growth exists. So it would be completely worth their while putting git on free TV in China at a discount for a few years to drum up interest. Europe is probably saturated by comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

so we'll get another ****ty Tilkedrome instead of one of the greatest tracks on the planet, can't wait!

Not all Tilkedrome tracks are rubbish though. Circuit of the Americas and Istanbul Park in Turkey are excellent tracks he designed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Not all Tilkedrome tracks are rubbish though. Circuit of the Americas and Istanbul Park in Turkey are excellent tracks he designed.

He also redesigned Hockenheim which was bloody sh1te. Give me the long straights into the Forrest any day

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Patricio O'Ward has joined the Red Bull Junior Team. Hes apparently Mexican but that surname is something else. :pac:

pjohnson wrote: »
    Patricio O'Ward has joined the Red Bull Junior Team. Hes apparently Mexican but that surname is something else. :pac:

discussions on twitter about whether or not he has enough points for a super licence already. Interesting development all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

25891.jpg

Its because we are so used to seeing the cars on big fat tyres so when we see them on skinny tyres and big wheels it just looks odd.

I think by the time they start using them do the cars will also look different so they might look better and might not take too long to get used to.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It cant be a good long term plan because it's lost the critical mass where you can talk about F1 with the lads and other lads will watch it because its on free to air tv. That's how I started watching in the first place. But i'd say they aren't suffering right now or in the short term future.

China is probably where the great opportunity for growth exists. So it would be completely worth their while putting git on free TV in China at a discount for a few years to drum up interest. Europe is probably saturated by comparison

I'm a big fan of the F1 TV. It's an actually affordable way of watching but unfortunately sky have the rights in Britain and Ireland (and other places) so it's not a real option there yet.

I know for American football I use the game pass and it's perfect. Not forking out a lot overall and just paying for what I want to watch.

Also found this odd but when I was in France I'd go down to the pub and watch the F1 at times. Place would be packed. Obviously was due to where I was living I think and the French drivers from nearby but was cool. Rarely ever watched races in a pub before.

• Advertisement

I'd say you need to phrase the question in terms of how much money F1 is making from selling the rights. So while far fewer people are watching on Sky sports, the ones who do watch are paying through the nose for it.

It depends on how the sum paid by sky compares to the sum the received on free to air tv.
    I mean more in terms of popularity rather than finances. Being a part of the popular consciousness etc. If it wasn't for Hamilton I doubt we'd see near as much coverage in the UK media and even that seems pretty dialled back. I remember the new F1 champ being headline news on BBC in the evening. Maybe it's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think when they bring the bigger wheels in with the low profile tyres, the old ones will just look completely wrong after about 2 races.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Jordan 199 wrote: »

cota is just like paul ricard, it hurts the eyes to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

D6IgMYBUUAIW9p0.jpg

F2 will have bigger wheels for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

cota is just like paul ricard, it hurts the eyes to look at.

Have to disagree. I think COTA is a stunning looking track but agree that the Paul Ricard track was way overdone last year. Maybe they will have toned it down a bit for this year. Must have cost them a fortune in paint for the track last year. Surprised i did not make the ''Guinness book of World Records'' for most paint at a track or most expensive track to paint or something along does lines anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Are they losing the Spanish gp aswell? Seen it mentioned abit.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Are they losing the Spanish gp aswell? Seen it mentioned abit.

Joe Saward reckons it's a gonner already. Zandvort near Amsterdam is almost definitely in. He reckons that more will also be lost in the near future because they want races in New York, London and Miami - destination cities. Silverstone is a risk, As soon as red bull stop paying for the GP in Austria, its gone too.

And probably Germany is a goner as well

Joe Saward reckons it's a gonner already. Zandvort near Amsterdam is almost definitely in. He reckons that more will also be lost in the near future because they want races in New York, London and Miami - destination cities. Silverstone is a risk, As soon as red bull stop paying for the GP in Austria, its gone too.

Silverstone is an interesting one, he was saying they've done a deal for 3 years. Probably the rumour of London has them worried and wanting certain assurances. Silverstone needs big crowds to cover the race fees, an alternative in London might potentially hurt their attendance

• Advertisement

Was having a read of this article referencing comments that Chase Carey made on a call with financial analysts. Added to the rumours that have been doing the rounds I'm going to say, Silverstone & Monza have signed new contracts, Mexico will follow suit. Zandvoort joins Vietnam as new races and we will lose Spain & Germany.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement