Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public servants' inability to afford to pay rent in Dublin.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

4ensic15 wrote: »
    You are the one who started about 1921! When your completely inadequate historical knowledge is corrected you start up a personal attack. Who voted for those politicians? Who consistently gave their votes to the highest bidder? Who voted for free farms in 1918? In Germany when the government does something stupid like run a budget deficit, it is voted out of office. In Ireland when a government tries to do something sensible like try to have a budget surplus it is voted out. Simplistic nonsense about politicians doing it all on their own will never solve any problem.

Welcome to the 21st century. Here we have FFG in power for decades dictating housing policy which facilitates the wealthy who in turn screw over everyone trying to pay rent in Dublin which is now a minimum of 1,500 a month(Daft), is that a fair rent?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

klaaaz wrote: »
    Welcome to the 21st century. Here we have FFG in power for decades dictating housing policy which facilitates the wealthy who in turn screw over everyone trying to pay rent in Dublin which is now a minimum of 1,500 a month(Daft), is that a fair rent?

Housing policy is dictated by the ECB. That is the result of people voting in gombeens at every election. The real culprits are the people who voted for them, not the politicians. They wouldn't be politicians if no one voted for them.

Housing policy is dictated by the ECB. That is the result of people voting in gombeens at every election. The real culprits are the people who voted for them, not the politicians. They wouldn't be politicians if no one voted for them.

Well, do we see people here protesting against the ECB? The theme here seems to be infighting rather than pointing at who has been buying up all the property

Well, do we see people here protesting against the ECB? The theme here seems to be infighting rather than pointing at who has been buying up all the property

People are too busy blaming politicians for everything to protest about the ECB. Companies are buying all the property. That is their nature. It is not their fault the Irish have messed up their country.

People are too busy blaming politicians for everything to protest about the ECB. Companies are buying all the property. That is their nature. It is not their fault the Irish have messed up their country.

The politicians of FFG have enabled this. Some Irish(FFG cohort) have messed up, not all Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

FFG are in power and have been since 1921.

The planning of our cities (and the massive shortage of suitable housing) is in the hands of the councils. I think you'll find that Sinn Fein & Friends rule supreme there with there policy of low density, low quality housing dominating Dublin City Center, because they love their "comoonities" so much resulting in the current massive shortage of suitable housing, office space and public transport.

dotsman wrote: »
    The planning of our cities (and the massive shortage of suitable housing) is in the hands of the councils. I think you'll find that Sinn Fein & Friends rule supreme there with there policy of low density, low quality housing dominating Dublin City Center, because they love their "comoonities" so much resulting in the current massive shortage of suitable housing, office space and public transport.

Actually SF and "friends" have only "ruled" there if thats a name in the last few years. The absolute power rules with FFG in government, they have directed policy which enabled REIT's to buy up thousands of homes and charged whatever rent they want with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

Actually SF and "friends" have only "ruled" there if thats a name in the last few years. The absolute power rules with FFG in government, they have directed policy which enabled REIT's to buy up thousands of homes and charged whatever rent they want with them.

I’d be interested to know what specific policies the government have directed to enable REIT to purchase properties ahead of anyone else?

Also, evidence of policies that enable them to charge “whatever rent they want”

Allinall wrote: »
    I’d be interested to know what specific policies the government have directed to enable REIT to purchase properties ahead of anyone else?

Also, evidence of policies that enable them to charge “whatever rent they want”

Outside wealthy vulture funds were allowed to buy up thousands of homes who have paid less tax than traditional landlords. Where is your questioning of wealthy REIT's? (there are no enforced rent controls here, the FFG publicity controls were unenforceable)

Outside wealthy vulture funds were allowed to buy up thousands of homes who have paid less tax than traditional landlords. Where is your questioning of wealthy REIT's? (there are no enforced rent controls here, the FFG publicity controls were unenforceable)

So- no policies.

We have an open and competitive property market.

So called “outside vulture funds” are given no advantage over any other buyers.

Can you show any specific policies from government that contradicts that?

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    So- no policies.

We have an open and competitive property market.

So called “outside vulture funds” are given no advantage over any other buyers.

Can you show any specific policies from government that contradicts that?

Really? Outside vulture funds are quite wealthy.

Allinall - I bid 400k on that 1 bed apt
    REIT - we bid 450k
    Allinall - I bid 460k, damn bank won't lend me above this anymore.
    REIT - we bid 500k
    REIT - we win the bid and won the apt, we'll rent it out to Allinall at maximum rate!! The other bidders who just want a roof over their heads will just have to migrate 200km away or rent from us like Allinall at 2000pm!!

Really? Outside vulture funds are quite wealthy.

Allinall - I bid 400k on that 1 bed apt
    REIT - we bid 450k
    Allinall - I bid 460k, damn bank won't lend me above this anymore.
    REIT - we bid 500k
    REIT - we win the bid and won the apt, we'll rent it out to Allinall at maximum rate!! The other bidders who just want a roof over their heads will just have to migrate 200km away or rent from us like Allinall at 2000pm!!

So what specific government policy enabled that to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Dublin city council have always been dominated by the left, and Dublin city planning has always been to prioritise low-density intercity council housing over the needs of the city and its inhabitants. The government have no power over local planning, so your wasting your time and breath trying to blame them (short of asking them to remove power from the councils and deal with planning at a national level)

It has NOTHING to do with REIT, Vulture funds, greedy landlords, banks or any other bogeyman. There is, and has been for the last 30 years, a critical shortage of suitable housing for a modern city in Dublin. That has and will continue to manifest itself in house prices, rent prices, booms, crashes, homeless crisis etc depending on external factors (often government interference), but they are all symptoms of the same underlying Sinn Fein & Friends led crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

REITS are not setting market rents in Dublin. The vast majority of landlords are small time and they dominate the market, and therefore prices.

And the government has brought in laws to stop people charging whatever rent they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

limnam wrote: »
    While they were secure in the fact they would not lose their job

While they moaned and whined about the cuts as their employer was crippled in debt

While they moaned and whined about having to contribute to their _own_ pensions.

Now you want a round applause for getting up off your h*le?

Are you for real?

I spent 25 years in the private sector.made redundant twice in 3 years. Paid into my own pension when I was on enough money to be able to pay into it, was expected to work 70 hour weeks and questioned when i went home on time....so what's your point??

Dublin city council have always been dominated by the left, and Dublin city planning has always been to prioritise low-density intercity council housing over the needs of the city and its inhabitants. The government have no power over local planning, so your wasting your time and breath trying to blame them (short of asking them to remove power from the councils and deal with planning at a national level)

It has NOTHING to do with REIT, Vulture funds, greedy landlords, banks or any other bogeyman. There is, and has been for the last 30 years, a critical shortage of suitable housing for a modern city in Dublin. That has and will continue to manifest itself in house prices, rent prices, booms, crashes, homeless crisis etc depending on external factors (often government interference), but they are all symptoms of the same underlying Sinn Fein & Friends led crisis.

Really? The govt have starved the councils of money to fund housing. You've fallen into the classic FFG blame game. REIT's facilitated by the govt have bought up thousands of homes, that cannot be neglected. They have influenced rents greatly at the detriment of everyone. Profit for greed! You cannot blame SF who have minimal power and yet FFG control the govt, mindboggling!

REITS are not setting market rents in Dublin. The vast majority of landlords are small time and they dominate the market, and therefore prices.

And the government has brought in laws to stop people charging whatever rent they want.

REIT's have bought up thousands of homes, that's the majority in any city. They have ignored FFG rental controls and continued to charge what they want to. Stop being so naive, everyone who rents is affected by FFG policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

REIT's have bought up thousands of homes, that's the majority in any city. They have ignored FFG rental controls and continued to charge what they want to. Stop being so naive, everyone who rents is affected by FFG policies.

There’s no way that REITs are a majority of rental owners in this city. If you have a source for that link it.

Edit:

Good article here on the type of landlord in Dublin

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2018/03/07/mick-landlords-aren-t-fleeing-the-market-in-droves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

There’s no way that REITs are a majority of rental owners in this city. If you have a source for that link it.

Not a hope.

IT article here says IRES is the largest REIT in the country and its got about 2500 apartments in Dublin. In a country of about 2 million houses and apartments its a drop in the ocean.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/ires-reit-and-the-concept-of-good-timing-1.3511732

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Interesting article but just rattling through some of his links here on the RTB website there is something I am quite surprised to see.

Both the number of tenancies and the number of landlords has dropped between Q3 '17 and Q3 '18.

Strange if so much money is to be easily made and not a good sign.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/images/uploads/Registration/Reg_Q3_2018.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

The best thing about all 304,472 public servants in this state is that they all pay 60% tax on everything they're paid above €34,550.

They pay 60% tax on earnings above €35.5k?
    spurious wrote: »
    The starting rate for a teacher is neither here nor there if they cannot get full-time positions, which has been the case for years. Older teachers retire and their job is split into three.

Suddenly people can't afford rent? Hardly a surprise on a 1/3 or less of a full salary.
    Teaching is a clear example of a profession in which job vacancies in cities cannot be filled because of high rents.

Sorry lads - are ye saying that jobs can't be filled or are ye saying there are no jobs?

Naos wrote: »
    They pay 60% tax on earnings above €35.5k?

Yes. Add the PRD (10.5%) on to PAYE, USC, PRSI and whatever else they pay and all public sector employees are taking home only 40% of everything they earn above €34, 550.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sallydolly40

Maybe this was mentioned prior so forgive me if I didnt read back the bickering so far.

Do I think public servants should be paid more to work in Dublin? NO

If you can't afford the rent dont move there.

If you had no choice? I bet you did.

If your mommy/daddy wont let you stay with them. blame them

Maybe this was mentioned prior so forgive me if I didnt read back the bickering so far.

Do I think public servants should be paid more to work in Dublin? NO

If you can't afford the rent dont move there.

If you had no choice? I bet you did.

If your mommy/daddy wont let you stay with them. blame them

yeah nobody has said that on the 20 pages you couldnt be bothered to read, congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

but they are all symptoms of the same underlying Sinn Fein & Friends led crisis.

Of course they are.

The more affluent and educated a person is, the less likely they are to vote for SF and their ilk.

It's not surprising their policies, if implemented at a national level, would bankrupt the country and plunge us all into poverty.

Interesting article but just rattling through some of his links here on the RTB website there is something I am quite surprised to see.

Both the number of tenancies and the number of landlords has dropped between Q3 '17 and Q3 '18.

Strange if so much money is to be easily made and not a good sign.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/images/uploads/Registration/Reg_Q3_2018.pdf

That article doesn't explain that some of the increase in the number of regsitrations is due to a change in the categories registered as well as enforcement activity. Also the proportion of landlords buying for cash may be true but it doesn't state that for every 1 landlord buying in, there are 2 getting out. Also doesn't allow for the fact that rented properties are more efficientlt used than owner occupier. I find the article unbalanced and appears to be driven by an agenda. There are now fewer landlords and fewer tenants. Some of this may be explained by tenants becoming owner occupiers after buying from landlords and some by a move to Airbnb. Given the increased rate of household formation, it is no surpise that rents are getting higher and there is more homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Believe it or not, sharing housing does not cause any of those things. If it did, those issues would exist in every major city in the world.

They're part of it though, if wages and living conditions are poor people leave as has been demonstrated by every generation of Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

limnam wrote: »
    While they were secure in the fact they would not lose their job

While they moaned and whined about the cuts as their employer was crippled in debt

While they moaned and whined about having to contribute to their _own_ pensions.

Now you want a round applause for getting up off your h*le?

Are you for real?

That's a fierce amount of moaning and whining about moaning and whining.
    kona wrote: »
    Keep dublin for the dubs. Problem solved.

Gave you your keys back years ago. Now can you come collect your Dubs and bring them home please. They lower the tone.

Grayson wrote: »
    The rental crises affects everyone. This thread has turned into a public Vs private match. Others turn into a employed Vs Unemployed. Yet others turn into a homeless Vs refugee argument. It's always turned into someone Vs Someone.

It doesn't matter. The root cause is still the same and a solution solves it for everyone.

Exactly, it's poor people and slightly poorer people fighting over scraps. This is one of the world's wealthiest states and it has built almost 0 housing in 15 years.

• Advertisement

mvl wrote: »
    and who says mexicans or brazilians are not teachers/nurses or other degrees ?

I think some of these ppl complaining about their PS salaries need to go off travel in some of the third world countries (or even Eastern Europe), see what teachers/doctors and so on earn there, and what are their work conditions; maybe they would start appreciating what this country has: good pay for PS.

Poverty exists elsewhere in the world, therefore you should get what you're given.

Advertisement