Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRITTEN EXAMINERS 2019

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

sullivlo wrote: »
    My advance arrived today.

Mine too and crucified with tax at the higher level which I never reach because of my low income. I thought this new system was supposed to stop that happening.
    I wonder can I get that money back?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

spurious wrote: »
    Mine too and crucified with tax at the higher level which I never reach because of my low income. I thought this new system was supposed to stop that happening.
    I usually claim all of my tax back at the end of the year. I didn't apply any tax credits to the SEC. I see it like a savings scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Do you have any tax credits with the SEC? If you don’t that’s why it’s taxed at the higher rate. Probably not too late to get some transferred now as you won’t get paid for at least two more months.

You can get a balancing statement at the end of the year I think from the revenue and they’ll refund any overpaid tax

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I went into them and thought I had sorted all this out. It's just annoying I suppose. At least Revenue are fairly efficient. Enforced savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Just got my pay slip for the advance. It doesn't look like they've worked the tax out at all. They've just taken a nice round figure out, along with a nice round figure for PRSI, and another nice round figure for USC, and called them tax. If that's all they were doing, why did it take so long to pay us? I'd understand if they had to actually work out how much tax everyone owed.

• Advertisement

RealJohn wrote: »
    Just got my pay slip for the advance. It doesn't look like they've worked the tax out at all. They've just taken a nice round figure out, along with a nice round figure for PRSI, and another nice round figure for USC, and called them tax. If that's all they were doing, why did it take so long to pay us? I'd understand if they had to actually work out how much tax everyone owed.

€696??

I don't know. I did practicals a few months ago and it was taxed and we normally get a €400 advance and we got something odd like €278.35

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

I got my advance (around 500) but no payslip yet and post has come. Trying to figure out did I get emergency taxed as someone here said a few weeks ago the advance is 900 for junior cert? Is that wrong or does 500 seem about right? I’m not working at the moment so shouldn’t be taxed much if it was done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Reya10 wrote: »
    I got my advance (around 500) but no payslip yet and post has come. Trying to figure out did I get emergency taxed as someone here said a few weeks ago the advance is 900 for junior cert? Is that wrong or does 500 seem about right? I’m not working at the moment so shouldn’t be taxed much if it was done correctly.

If you are a first time examiner - that is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

€696??

I don't know. I did practicals a few months ago and it was taxed and we normally get a €400 advance and we got something odd like €278.35
    Nope, all of the figures on my pay slip were nice round numbers, ending in zeros.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I don’t know about every subject but my advance was 300 higher than previous years, probably to counteract paying the tax earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

My advance was 1200 but the tax was ridiculous. I just got the payslip today.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

I think that’s probably correct as tax is 40%, USC8% and PRSI 4%. That’s if you haven’t allocated any tax credits to the SEC.

Nope, all of the figures on my pay slip were nice round numbers, ending in zeros.

I just got my payslip this morning. Mine were rounded too. Maybe the SEC came to some sort of deal with the revenue to tax at a certain percentage for the advance rather than individualising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

I’ve always considered the advance as my expenses. It covers the overnights and petrol. I’m annoyed at losing so much of it this year. And I know I’ll get it back in October, but that’s not the point. I’ve paid for my hotel and petrol now.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭runjb

When does the final payment issue?

Depends on your subject and when you finish up.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

Has anyone gotten paid yet or heard anything about payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Guirimasguiri

Reya10 wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten paid yet or heard anything about payment?

They aim to pay us 30 working days after receipt of claim forms into the financial section. So theoretically, if you finished up at the end of July you should be getting paid over the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chocoholic999

I got paid Friday, received payslip Monday. Think I finished around 19th of July

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

I got paid August 30.

• Advertisement

I got paid August 30.

When was it that you finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

July 11

I got paid August 30.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I sent in my form on the August Bank holiday, hopefully it will be next week if they are that efficient this year.

Got paid today 1100 euro net. Even plus the 600 odd advance, it is cruel money for the amount of work. 583 papers (JC).
    Needs must though, in my case.

Got paid today 1100 euro net. Even plus the 600 odd advance, it is cruel money for the amount of work. 583 papers (JC).
    Needs must though, in my case.

583 papers?! 😳 What was your subject?

583 papers?! �� What was your subject?

Rather not say publicly, but an OL paper. I took quite a lot of extra papers as we were promised an an extra payment for any over the average.

Last year we were promised the same and didn't get it, but I think we did get it this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

I posted my completed account form to my supervisor first thing on Monday 15 July but still haven't been paid. :mad:

Allowing for the supervisor to have spent a couple of days before sending it on, the SEC should have received it by Monday 22nd July, so I've now been waiting for payment for eight weeks which is unacceptable.

The Prompt Payment of Suppliers Act (1997) states that "payment must be made within 45 days of receipt of an invoice or date of supply (of goods or service), whichever is the later." In my case, and allowing for the delay before my supervisor forwarded my "invoice" to the SEC, this means that I should have been paid no later than 5th September. Perhaps it's time to kick some SEC ass!

I’m the same. Won’t be bothering next year.

Seems to be a right mess this year. Leaving Cert appeals being blamed for things they should have no effect whatsoever on.

For example the JC results. LC Appeal examiners have no input there at all. All the JC results have been sitting in Athlone since at least the first week of August.

Unless they are running on an absolutely skeleton staff for some reason, there is no reason for the payment or JC delays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I’m the same. Won’t be bothering next year.

Me too! Definitely not worth the hassle.

I had made up my mind not to correct this summer, but foolishly changed my mind when I was phoned by a desperate SEC minion in late May! :(

Advertisement