Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRITTEN EXAMINERS 2019

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

runjb wrote: »
    Great, thanks for advice on all this. I’ll keep the schedule free!

When collecting from sec offices, are the papers a heavy load? Is it better I drive or could I bring them via train?

You could get two large bags. By large I mean the sort of weight that I as an adult woman would have to do a funny walk while I carry. I couldn't carry one of them any great distance.
    I did it twice by train when I was young and foolish. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

When collecting from sec offices, are the papers a heavy load? Is it better I drive or could I bring them via train?

The sec office is miles away from train station
    Security of scripts is also paramount
    How are you getting to and from conference .......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Drive. Even if you were to get the train you will be depending on another teacher at the conference to bring you to collect your papers and then drop you to the train station. And they are heavy. Consider that you are probably going to have about 400 answerbooks. That's what you are carrying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This all reminds me, should anyone need a lift back Thursday afternoon (27th) to the Dublin area, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Car is a must. The SEC suggest a taxi if needs must and they will reimburse. Think 2-3 heavy sacks. And they have to be in your sight at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

Hi, going to be marking JC German and have the conference on Monday. Can anyone tell me roughly how much the advance fee is, and is it true you get it in the first couple of weeks after the conference. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Reya10 wrote: »
    Hi, going to be marking JC German and have the conference on Monday. Can anyone tell me roughly how much the advance fee is, and is it true you get it in the first couple of weeks after the conference. Cheers!

For JC it’s €900 and it will be taxed for the first time this year. And yes.

You get it within 5 working days from conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Reya10 wrote: »

Me too and just got the offer today. Have never done it before. How many scripts are we likely to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

Seesee wrote: »
    Me too and just got the offer today. Have never done it before. How many scripts are we likely to get?

I have no idea, it’s also my first time! I guess we’ll see on Monday, maybe it depends on how many examiners they have?

• Advertisement

Yeah you won’t know the total number until you take them out of the bags and count them. You might get told an average at conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Where do people usually stay? I'll be coming from Dublin on Monday morning seems like makes sense to stay Monday night.

Seesee wrote:
    Where do people usually stay? I'll be coming from Dublin on Monday morning seems like makes sense to stay Monday night.

I know the Shamrock lodge has a special rate for SEC people. Might be a fiver or so off. Ask whatever hotel you're considering. I think many of them have similar.

Radisson and Sheraton are quite popular. Athlone Springs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

The SEC rate for Shamrock Lodge is €65 b&b, hard to beat, and a lovely breakfast and with free parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Do we bring anything in particular with us to the conference or will we be supplied with everything. (pens/paper etc).

Take a red pen and a note book to conference. Calculator too. Buy a good few red pens in one of those discount stores and keep the receipt for your expenses on the form account at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Do we bring anything in particular with us to the conference or will we be supplied with everything. (pens/paper etc).

Pens, calculator and the blue book you were sent a few weeks ago. You will be supplied with exam paper but I'm sure you have one with your own answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

As the others have said but I'll add bring a 2nd pen in another colour. I like to know when we review exemplars (you mark a few to check your understanding of the marking scheme) why/where I was out of kilter with advisor / offical mark. I use 2nd pen for this.

Between those bloody treasury tags and the glue strip that sticks papers together, I cannot wait for my subject to be part of the online marking.

Don't start me on superintendents who couldn't manage to put the scripts in numerical order. They should bring a five year old with them next year.

• Advertisement

Oh I’ve seen fellow superintendents stuff them in to the envelopes. It’s a miracle they get the results on time.

spurious wrote: »
    Between those bloody treasury tags and the glue strip that sticks papers together, I cannot wait for my subject to be part of the online marking.

Don't start me on superintendents who couldn't manage to put the scripts in numerical order. They should bring a five year old with them next year.

The treasury tags are welcome for my subject :) (I thought I'd never say that) I'm correcting a different level this year.

I had two superintendents who literally threw scripts in bag. They were meant to put two parts of the exam together and one didn't. It will be going in my report. I wish there was a way to report it to the SEC as it is a pain putting them in correct order before numbering. It's not a big job but it is a superintendents job and they won't miss much of their lunch for four/five minutes.

They have plenty of time. It’s very clearly laid out in the general instructions. Maybe if they had to sign a note that reads “ I arranged all scripts in numerical order and placed them in seperate envelopes by level”.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    They have plenty of time. It’s very clearly laid out in the general instructions. Maybe if they had to sign a note that reads “ I arranged all scripts in numerical order and placed them in seperate envelopes by level”.

Suggestion already gone to SEC!! :)

Mtoutlemonde we’re wasted in teaching. The SEC needs us !!

Handy number alright!!! Would love to see the inside of the SEC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

The online marking system is a massive improvement. The system is really easy to use and there are so many annoying little jobs that I now no longer have to do!

I seriously would like a tour of the operation. I really would.

Handy number alright!!! Would love to see the inside of the SEC.

Cork girl is it <edit> they use?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Cork girl is it <edit> they use?

Yep. Apparently they only got the contract in April so the functionality isn't perfect according to the Advising Examiners but I'm finding it great. Flying through the papers and no totting to be done.

Advertisement